Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What a good boy :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
This thread makes me want a Shiba Inu and I'm scared I'll horrifyingly gently caress it up

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
On the negative side, 3 different dogs attacking my Malamute, Mishka, in the past six months has made him go from absolutely loving every dog he encounters, to that classic Mal same-sex aggression. At least in his case he only shows it towards dogs that bark/growl at him first or get right in his face as their first encounter. Also on the negative, I had to go away and he went into a new kennel which seemed awesome. And then on picking him up they told me he was 'red' as their recently painted red floors had lifted all the paint onto Mishka's fur, but that they'd tried to bathe him, and left him soaking wet for 2 days. He's now on antibiotics and steroid tablets because of the hot spots they caused and is panting a lot and generally not enjoying life (especially as we have a mini heatwave here).

On the other, 100 yards from my house is his best buddy in the world, a small Husky who was a rescue and thinks Mishka is the best thing in the world. He (Ice) even tries to give Mishka his toys when they have playdates and is all 'mi casa su casa' when Mishka eats from his dog bowl.

Vicious attack dog

Revenge!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

PST posted:

On the negative side, 3 different dogs attacking my Malamute, Mishka, in the past six months has made him go from absolutely loving every dog he encounters, to that classic Mal same-sex aggression. At least in his case he only shows it towards dogs that bark/growl at him first or get right in his face as their first encounter. Also on the negative, I had to go away and he went into a new kennel which seemed awesome. And then on picking him up they told me he was 'red' as their recently painted red floors had lifted all the paint onto Mishka's fur, but that they'd tried to bathe him, and left him soaking wet for 2 days. He's now on antibiotics and steroid tablets because of the hot spots they caused and is panting a lot and generally not enjoying life (especially as we have a mini heatwave here).

On the other, 100 yards from my house is his best buddy in the world, a small Husky who was a rescue and thinks Mishka is the best thing in the world. He (Ice) even tries to give Mishka his toys when they have playdates and is all 'mi casa su casa' when Mishka eats from his dog bowl.

Vicious attack dog

Revenge!

Holy poo poo. PLEASE leave negative reviews explaining this situation on yelp, Google, the businesses fb, etc. Literally everywhere. That is insane. I can't imagine a situation where that should have been able to happen, and I've worked in 3 boarding kennels over 3 years, one of which was doing a massive remodel. We never had anything like that happen re: paint "lifting" onto the dogs.

As far as the budding dog aggression goes, how is he meeting these dogs? If it's on leash, I would just avoid on leash greetings. My husky dude gets super excited and he's the most dog friendly thing ever, but I still will cross the street or at least hurry past when we see other dogs because I don't want him to start having dog aggression issues. If it's at dog parks, time to stop going imo and just stick with his buddies for play dates so it doesn't get worse. If it's randos off leash running up? Idk carry a big hittin' stick.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita passed away today at 8 years old. It was very sudden, we came home and she was breathing heavily. Turned out she was leaking air from her lungs. My wife and I were with her until the end.

She was a very good dog and neither of us can believe she is gone.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'm so sorry Warbadger.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
My condolences :(

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

That's awful :(. She was beautiful, sorry for your loss.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Omg I'm sorry! Any idea what caused the whole lungs leaking thing?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cless Alvein posted:

Omg I'm sorry! Any idea what caused the whole lungs leaking thing?

No idea. They found no signs of physical trauma and called it a spontaneous pneumothorax. We had zero warning, her last vet checkup was less than a month ago and turned up no problems at all.

We left for a 2 day vacation on Friday with Nikita in the care of my sister in law (who is great with her), who was coming by twice a day to top off water, feed her, and walk/play with her. She told us Nikita was very well behaved Saturday evening. We came back Sunday morning and found her struggling hard for every breath. 2 vets and 3 hours later it was all over. Basically a waking nightmare, we wish we had more time to say goodbye.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 30, 2017

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
That sounds unimaginably horrific. So sorry about Nikita.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
http://www.boredpanda.com/pet-dog-cat-armor-samurai-age-japan

Here is something that is less sad

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Psychobabble! posted:

Holy poo poo. PLEASE leave negative reviews explaining this situation on yelp, Google, the businesses fb, etc. Literally everywhere. That is insane. I can't imagine a situation where that should have been able to happen, and I've worked in 3 boarding kennels over 3 years, one of which was doing a massive remodel. We never had anything like that happen re: paint "lifting" onto the dogs.

The shittastic place I worked had some of the kennel floors painted with some red paint the owner's brother "recommended", ie the cheapest poo poo she could find. It took 2 months to dry and the texture is "soft" and weird still. When it gets wet it sort of rubs off but it doesn't make the whole drat dog red, just a bit of red on the pads or fur. We once had a sedated great dane drooling everywhere in one of those rooms while I frantically slapped towels down so he wouldn't turn blue merle and red, but none of the other dogs that have stayed in those rooms turned red.

Anyway, I think they probably used that lovely cheap red paint or a similar kind. And let the dog soak the room with its water dish and roll in it. They then panicked, and for some stupid reason didn't dry him or fix the water dish issue. That's what I don't understand...who the hell is so lazy to let a dog be wet and stay wet? That's gross.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lol I was rereading the OP and it mentions escape artisting

H-he can't get out of that :ohdear:

(Sorry for bad photo my phone is old and bad)

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Yeah Kiya is an odd duck in terms of trying to escape.

I've gone out to find the gate wide open and she is just chilling in the yard like nothing is going on. If I'm in the garage doing something with the door open, she won't come in unless I tell her to. At that point she could flee all she wanted, but she just stays near me or maybe creeps into front lawn a bit to sniff grass and returns right away the minute I saw something to her.

I don't do the latter too often due to her being animal aggressive. If I'm in there odds are good that I can't pay enough attention to watch for people walking dogs and hold her at bay.

Her new favorite sleeping spot.

I got new carpet installed and need to trim the doors to fit...I'm probably not going to reinstall that door since she likes it so much.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Cless Alvein posted:

Her new favorite sleeping spot.

I got new carpet installed and need to trim the doors to fit...I'm probably not going to reinstall that door since she likes it so much.

Get a nice big pillow for that space :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

LATE REPLIES BECAUSE gently caress

Solus posted:

This thread makes me want a Shiba Inu and I'm scared I'll horrifyingly gently caress it up

Eeeh -- honestly if you start with a great breeder and good lines, or you go to a good rescue and find an adult with a personality that's compatible, it should all work out fine. :)

Warbadger posted:

Nikita passed away today at 8 years old. It was very sudden, we came home and she was breathing heavily. Turned out she was leaking air from her lungs. My wife and I were with her until the end.

She was a very good dog and neither of us can believe she is gone.

Oh poo poo. I am so so sorry, WB. :( Nikita was one of my all time favorite PI doggos. I'm glad you and the wife could be with her, probably made it easier for everyone as horrible and difficult as it was.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Well, I didn't know about this thread! It certainly would have helped a lot when we adopted Lacy a year ago. The shelter told us she was a beagle/feist, but it soon became clear to us that she is...

A basenji mix! With Jack Russell we think, so *definitely* not barkless (but full of strange noises anyway).

It has been a long and ongoing process to get this formerly fearful little lady to trust us and the world, but she has worked her way through so many issues and is a loyal, cute, scary smart, personality-filled little family weirdo. She's about to turn two and start her second year with us, and we love her like crazy. We're learning more about basenjis all the time, but it's nice to see further confirmation from this thread that her odd quirks just kind of come with the territory. Thankfully she has always been very well socialized around other dogs (hoarding situation, lots of siblings, lots of time in the shelter), so she has been easier to work with than most.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 27, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
rad looking dog!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

shirts and skins posted:

A basenji mix! With Jack Russell we think, so *definitely* not barkless (but full of strange noises anyway).

"We have both kinds, barking and yodeling!"

That really is a rad-looking dog with rad-looking ears :)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

... ohmygod

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

That basenji mix is the cuteness :kimchi:

Hey thread, enjoy this picture of my husky dude Dorian at a wedding a couple weeks ago

So regal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Kaidan is still alive.

This was last season, but I'm going to take him back out next month

He's an old man now

• Locked thread