Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
All I can say is, I have a WHOLE lot of respect for people who can handle primitive breeds. Years ago when I knew literally nothing about dogs (I had grown up with dogs, but apparently that hadn't translated into dog knowledge) I adopted an Akita from a shelter based on nothing other than "Wow he sure is pretty!!!! Akitas are very ~dominant~ dogs so I'll be sure to alpha roll him a lot!!!:downs:" It ended in typical "stupid person adopts primitive breed" fashion, with him loving up a lot of poo poo because I was an idiot and had no clue how to handle him.

They are beautiful dogs, but they really do require a ton of knowledge and a certain personality type to handle them correctly, and it's so, so easy to gently caress up with them and when you do inevitably gently caress up, it can take months/years to undo one seconds worth of damage. Makes me really glad for my super easy, ultra biddable, "I'll do anything you say oh god just love me please" breed choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
There's a ~2 year Akita girl in our nosework class who looks practically identical to that American Akita picture paisleyfox posted. Her handler has mentioned some difficulty getting her motivated in the beginning, and apparently when they work with the odor/treats outside of the box and she gets frustrated she goes around and looks in each box then looks at her person like "What the gently caress it's supposed to be in a box you idiot" :3:. She's doing a lot better now though and when she gets excited she tries wagging her little curly tail really fast, it's damned adorable.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

rivals posted:

when she gets excited she tries wagging her little curly tail really fast, it's damned adorable.

I love this, I called it helicopter tail :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

COWER AT THE MIGHT OF THE JAPANESE!

:ohdear: Cute knows no bounds.

Kishu, Akita, Kai, Shiba. Y'all have no idea how much I wish I could take every one of those jerkoffs home. :3:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Augh I love these breeds, so pretty and naughty. :3: I'm not getting a dog anytime soon but I want to ask about them anyway:

1) I'm a big cat person, always had them. Are they assholes like cats are assholes?

2) Speaking of cats, are all primitive breeds really awful around cats in the house? Do they ever become friends or anything?

3) Would it be really bad to get one if you haven't had a dog before, or are they OK if you do some research and have some idea of what to expect?

4) Pfox hurry up and write about shibas I wanna hear about 'em. Yes I know that's not a question.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfBag will be best regarding cats in the house since as far as I know she's the only one here with a primitive dog and a cat. The short of it as I understand is that it's doable but a lot of work. They can view cats they live with differently from cats outside and tolerate the ones they live with.

That said I don't really recommend them for a first time dog person even with research ahead of time. If you got some experience with them somehow before without having one that could work (foster, maybe? I'd say shelter but it's not super common to see them there, something along those lines or even volunteering at a shelter to get used to any dogs for a while then use that to sort of gauge it, knowing they'll be more difficult). Especially if you have cats and need to worry about that as well.

rivals fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 2, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

Augh I love these breeds, so pretty and naughty. :3: I'm not getting a dog anytime soon but I want to ask about them anyway:

1) I'm a big cat person, always had them. Are they assholes like cats are assholes?

2) Speaking of cats, are all primitive breeds really awful around cats in the house? Do they ever become friends or anything?

3) Would it be really bad to get one if you haven't had a dog before, or are they OK if you do some research and have some idea of what to expect?

4) Pfox hurry up and write about shibas I wanna hear about 'em. Yes I know that's not a question.

1) Yes. Yes they are. They're still dogs, don't get me wrong, but they are the same sort of aloof, I know better than you do, begrudging attitude cats have.

2) It really depends on the dog. My dog thinks cats are AWESOME and tries to wag his whole butt in the air and will bark at them. Then gets bored when they don't do anything and will walk away. Other want to eat them. I will say, though, my in-laws' cat isn't very amused by Koji, but she's an even bigger rear end in a top hat than he is, so meh.

3) Not really, I guess. Koji is my first dog EVER. But I knew what I was getting into, I was involved in breed specific forums, hounded the rescue I now volunteer for, and played with my friends' Shiba, Dug, as well as my husband's Eskie, so I kind of knew what to expect attitude wise. Fostering, finding a local breed rescue, or a meetup group would be a great way to break into it.

4) 8( OKAY.

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

Hey warbadger, what kind of dog is your fuzzbutt? I just showed one of my friends her picture and now I have to explain that no, she's not a coyote.

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
My roommate has a Basenji, currently about 6 months old:

He's a pretty cool dog, but can be such a little poo poo. I knew about them being an ancient breed and also about shiba types being jerks, but I guess I never put 2 and 2 together; explains a lot.

Unlike most of the other primitive breeds, they don't have a double coat and their hair is very short, so thankfully shedding is minimal. They don't bark, but they can still be very loud and make all kinds of other weird noises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rMXqcUx90s

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
^^yesss it begins now

I notice this thread needs many more pictures. I will help.

These pretty assholes are not my dogs, but rather my neighbor's dogs: a grumpy Jindo, an old Akita, and a young Husky mix. The white one is the Jindo, Kaia, who pretty much ignores you unless you are 'her people' but is tolerant and pleasant if you give her a treat. She growls at strangers, has bitten a vet and can be horrible on leash, though.

Second dog is Tycho, a 9yr old Akita, and the nicest one I've ever met. Completely tolerant and gentle towards strangers, kids, cats, small dogs and other dogs. I have no clue how that happened, even though they're great dog people, because they had no hand in his socialization. He just nuzzles everything and then stands over it. :3: He's a big love.

Last is the new kid, Husky mix Taj that we helped them pick out from the rescue's litter and we've dogsat him ever since. He's a very sweet non-mouthy, non-jumpy dog for a 9 month old pup, and we love him. He hates our cats, though, and we have to separate when he visits.

More pictures of Taj because I wish I could steal him he's so beautiful ugghh:

All three are rescues they got from Oakland. Lots of young idiot college kids= primitive dogs out here.

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

paisleyfox posted:

Hey Paisley

Is there a higher resolution version of this? This would be something I'd be interested in framing and placing in my office. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

haha Yeah, that sounds about right. American Eskimos tend to be SO protective of their families, that even some of the really well socialized dogs can get aggressive with strangers (especially groomers :argh: ). They're like the quintessential one person dog. They are really awesome, though, if they get to trust you. :3:

This is interesting to me because I've actually heard that about Akitas as opposed to American Eskimos. Admittedly, I don't know much about either breed.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Abandon All Hope posted:

Hey Paisley

Is there a higher resolution version of this? This would be something I'd be interested in framing and placing in my office. :3:

Sure, I'll see what I can do. I still have the article in PDF at home, so when I get back tonight, I'll try to get a larger copy for you.

rivals posted:

This is interesting to me because I've actually heard that about Akitas as opposed to American Eskimos. Admittedly, I don't know much about either breed.

It's kind of true across the primitive breeds in general. A lot of it still has to do with how much socializing they've had, but when it comes right down to it, it's really up to the individual dog. Every Akita I've meet has been a great squishy ball of aloof fluff, though I have heard stories from people I know well with bites, though honestly I don't know the details of said situations. From my experience, they tend to not just go in to bite unless they feel extremely threatened, and they're all also really mouthy dogs. The only time I was ever bit by my husband's old Eskie was when I accidently stepped on his foot, and he didn't break the skin. But while Hawk got better in his old age, and after the move from the house he lived at for 17 years, he never ever once had a problem with other dogs, it was just other people coming in on his territory he hated. Then again, he was shoved outside for most of his life, which is why I made good friends with him so he'd have a buddy when I'd be over.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I suppose that is all very true. Akitas and American Eskimos are both probably the primitive breeds I've spent the least amount of time with or around so I don't have any experience with them at all, and as such most of what I know of their "one man dog"ness is a very minor amount of anecdotal hearsay. I'd love a giant cuddly Akita though :3:

Edit: And Hawk is the perfect name for your husband's old dog. It's so fitting :)

rivals fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 2, 2010

Wally P
Jun 3, 2007
spoon!
Sweet! Looking forward to the Akita post. After much discussion and many visits, etc, I'll be fostering (my first foster!) an Akita from the Mid-Atlantic Akita rescue group. It's going to be a big challenge as Kodi was severely neglected and undernourished when he was brought to the shelter (where he further deteriorated), so he is extremely anxious around strange humans. But according to the adoption coordinator (who is currently fostering him), he is fine with cats and other dogs.

Looking forward to 80 lbs of furry shedding assholeness :3

Picture from the website until I can take some of my own when he gets here this weekend.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Wally P posted:

Sweet! Looking forward to the Akita post. After much discussion and many visits, etc, I'll be fostering (my first foster!) an Akita from the Mid-Atlantic Akita rescue group. It's going to be a big challenge as Kodi was severely neglected and undernourished when he was brought to the shelter (where he further deteriorated), so he is extremely anxious around strange humans. But according to the adoption coordinator (who is currently fostering him), he is fine with cats and other dogs.

Looking forward to 80 lbs of furry shedding assholeness :3

Picture from the website until I can take some of my own when he gets here this weekend.

:neckbeard: Plllleaaaase keep this thread updated with this handsome fellow!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

HondaCivet posted:

:3:

Learning to be good:

Like it's already been said, it depends on the dog, and it depends on the level of training. I would say from my experience, there is no breed in this group that is inherently better or worse with small animals (unless you consider sight hounds) but individual dogs will have different instincts. I'd say if you're worried about cats, your BEST bet would be to adopt an older dog who's history is known so you give yourself the easiest time possible.

That said, it IS possible to work at training out prey drive (which you will ALWAYS have to do to a degree) but it takes a lot of work. Also, different dogs have different levels of prey drive, and a lot of dogs can never be trusted alone with cat for this reason. We had Buddy for about 3 1/2 years before we got our cat. In those 3 odd years, we worked on him with the random animals we saw on our walks. We got him used to the "No Chasing" command to where if nothing else, he understood the command and generally followed it. This command was invaluable when it came to getting the cat.

When we brought her home, obviously she spent her first time locked away, then only short, supervised time with the dog in short bursts. This was the most important time for us with Buddy because we were able to reinforce the idea that he should ignore Kaipo. Any time he seemed like he might get excited around her, he was told, "Leave it, no chasing," and he caught on pretty quick how to be nice. After working on this awhile, he's totally fine with her now. The only thing he'll do is a correction bark/charge/whatever you want to call it that he would use with another dog, not a prey animal, so we let him "correct" her (unless he's out of line, obviously).

It's totally possible to teach dogs to respect cats from puppihood, but it's important to remember that it will be a lot more difficult (as opposed to an adult who is known to be good with cats) because puppies need to learn EVERYTHING from scratch, so it isn't just the one behavior that's being worked on. However, if it's going to be your first dog, that's even more reason to get an adult.

quote:

paisleyfox posted:

3) Not really, I guess. Koji is my first dog EVER. But I knew what I was getting into, I was involved in breed specific forums, hounded the rescue I now volunteer for, and played with my friends' Shiba, Dug, as well as my husband's Eskie, so I kind of knew what to expect attitude wise. Fostering, finding a local breed rescue, or a meetup group would be a great way to break into it.

All of this! Buddy's technically my first dog, too! :hfive: However, I'd actually studied the breed for years before hand, and landed my job grooming where I got to handle huskies along with tons of other dogs. I could tell the research I'd done was really an asset, because I was able to handle the huskies at work right off, when the people I worked with who'd been grooming for years still had problems with them. Also, around the same time I was staying with my now husband at his parents' house, so I would help out with their 3 dogs.

If I were you and considering ANY dog, I'd find some sort of group you could volunteer with where you could get lots of first hand experience. If there's a specific breed you have in mind, see if you can find a breed rescue or breed club in your area that would be willing to give you experience with the dogs. People in those sort of groups will LOVE that you want to get experience first, because they're the ones that see problems with impulse, "THEY'RE SO CUTE!!!" purchases.

Overall, I'd say you need to have a very calm, confident attitude when it comes to these dogs. They need to know you're in charge and that things don't phase you. The SECOND they see you falter, they take advantage. Contrary to what a lot of people think, this doesn't mean you need to "dominate" them, yell at them, or constantly correct them, but rather they have to get the general sense that you won't accept any poo poo on your end, so they won't even bother. It's really a hard thing to explain, that's why getting to know other primitive breed owners is the best experience you can get.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

paisleyfox posted:

Kishu, Akita, Kai, Shiba. Y'all have no idea how much I wish I could take every one of those jerkoffs home. :3:

hahaha I love when she finds the akita, "KAWAII! :keke: "

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

:3:

BUDDY! :3: It's so weird seeing Huskies without giant buggy eyes like Kaidan. Also I absolutely love his coat color. He has almost that piebald (I think that's what it's called, at least for huskies) black and white that is more patchy rather than sort of blending together.

EDIT:

paisleyfox posted:

HOLY poo poo. This made for the best lunch break I've ever had. The one who's attacking the plant :3:

rivals fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 2, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

WolfensteinBag posted:

Overall, I'd say you need to have a very calm, confident attitude when it comes to these dogs. They need to know you're in charge and that things don't phase you. The SECOND they see you falter, they take advantage. Contrary to what a lot of people think, this doesn't mean you need to "dominate" them, yell at them, or constantly correct them, but rather they have to get the general sense that you won't accept any poo poo on your end, so they won't even bother. It's really a hard thing to explain, that's why getting to know other primitive breed owners is the best experience you can get.

I just wanted to requote this, this is VERY important to understanding these dogs (and I'll probably add it to the main post.)

Koji has learned, not overnight mind you, differences in our tone when we go to correct him. He knows between the "be nice~" and "if you don't stop that poo poo right now we are leaving" sort of tone. Does he still test us? Every single step of the way, but he knows when we mean business since we stay firm. (No, you may absolutely NOT stand by the door when it is open until I say so. Get up and the door closes and we do it again.) They pick up that the fastest way to what they want, or the way to not get their fun/stuff taken away is to listen. That also means you have to follow through on what's important, too.

Sometimes you pick and choose your battles. Yeah, he's not NORMALLY allowed on the couch, but this time is okay, so long as he gets off when you ask him to. You also always want to set your dog up for success, not failure. So with your dog, you will learn the signs that will lead up to certain undesirable behaviors and be able to stop it before it happens with distractions. Get worked up and the dogs get worked up themselves.

It is hard to explain, but if anyone has ever had first hand experience in a daycare or with young children, you will know EXACTLY what we are talking about.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

This is Viggo, and he's an Icelandic Sheepdog. He's another one of the dogs Cohen plays with at the park.

Icelandic Sheepdogs fascinate me since they're pretty much smack-dab in the middle of primitives and herders. They are a member of the Spitz family and have the typical independent "gently caress you I won't do what you tell me" personalities. They were brought to Iceland by the Vikings (!!!) and are the ancestor of the Shetland Sheepdog and Welsh Corgi. They have double dew-claws on their rear feet, and it's kinda funny lookin'.

They were used as watch dogs and livestock guardians, and when necessary would be used to drive livestock when it strayed. Plague and canine distemper almost wiped out the breed in the late 1800s. In 1969 the Icelandic Dog Breeder Association was established to preserve the breed, and they gained AKC recognition very recently -- in June 2010.

They're thick, stocky dogs with a coat that seems to range from the typical Spitz/Shiba coat to something more Collie-like. Viggo's is definitely of the latter. They're a medium sized breed, probably weighing between 30 and 50 lbs when mature.

Viggo is quite a character. He's very vocal (barkbarkbarkbarkbark) when playing, loves chasing bicycles and anything with a siren. He and Cohen will both wrestle and chase, and have similar pushy attitudes. He's a total lovebug, and I want to bring him home with me.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

^^^a life less, that dog's beautiful! :3:

paisleyfox posted:

No, you may absolutely NOT stand by the door when it is open until I say so. Get up and the door closes and we do it again.

HA!! We fight that battle every day! Less so when Buddy's tired. :3: I swear sometimes he has to be a punk for things just for the experience of it, even if it means delaying his own gratification. Like he's trying to say, "Yeah, this is MY idea, not yours..."

paisleyfox posted:

It is hard to explain, but if anyone has ever had first hand experience in a daycare or with young children, you will know EXACTLY what we are talking about.

This just killed me, because it is SPOT ON. I always say I inherently know how to handle these dogs well because I take after my father. He's the type that would give you one look and you'd feel SO guilty that you would try so hard to be good. :laugh: It's the "I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed..." attitude that you really have to have.

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

HondaCivet posted:

It depends on the dog and how they are raised. My afghan hound loves my cats...to death. Literally. To the point where the dog is not allowed upstairs and the cats are not allowed downstairs. She'll chase them down and kill them if given the chance. Not her fault, she probably spent a lot of time chasing cats while she was a stray, but in my particular situation they can't ever be left alone together. It took a good 2 years for her to not stand at the foot of the stairs and whine at the baby gate every time she was out of her crate because she knew they were up there, that is how strong her instinct is to chase down little furry creatures. But that probably has more to do with her being a sighthound than a "primitive" breed, so ymmv.

Abbeh
May 23, 2006

When I grow up I mean to be
A Lion large and fierce to see.
(Thank you, Das Boo!)

paisleyfox posted:

Good lord this is the cutest thing I've seen in a very, very long time. Those little kimonos at the end :3: I want to get Zoso a kimono now...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

demozthenes posted:

Please correct me if I'm wrong (likely) but aren't Pekes and Pugs really closely related? My pug would work but her recall was poo poo and she'd often shoot my family the "snotty teenager look" when we wanted her to do something and didn't have a treat on hand.

Granted, it's really tough to consider them in the same class as huskies and Akitas...

Pugs are very close to the Pekingese in the great dog tree of ancestry.

Here is a bonus picture of a 19th century Pekingese or "Chinese Happa Dog." It is so incredibly downsy. Wanna meet that dog!

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?
Recently I visited a friend-of-a-friends house, and he owned a pariah dog his wife had found as a stray puppy while doing research in India. Unfortunately I didn't bring my camera, but the dog was a generic medium sized yellow dog with prick ears (actually, one prick one flop :3:) and a curled tail. The dog had a lot of behaviours which some people (including me, I'm afraid :x ) would find to be a nuisance - he was very vocal and headstrong, a nuisance barker, pee-er, crotch-sniffer, digger and roamer - but he was very much loved and got on great with his family :3:. The roaming was a big problem, and they ended up having to get an electric fence installed in their (6+foot fenced) yard. He was awesome though, I wish I'd got pics.

Speaking of pariah dogs, feral populations have received a lot of attention from ethologists over the years - here's a nice intro chapter from the book 'The Behavioural Biology of Dogs' (2007)

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SpkSd__EdKYC&lpg=PA147&ots=4l_tZMMUTb&dq=pariah&lr&pg=PA147#v=onepage&q&f=false

:)

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
sorry. ignore this.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Captain Log posted:

Here is a bonus picture of a 19th century Pekingese or "Chinese Happa Dog." It is so incredibly downsy. Wanna meet that dog!

That is the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen EVER. Eek.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Captain Log posted:

"Bring me Solo and the Wookiee. They will all suffer for this outrage."

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Captain Log posted:

I don't think I'm going to sleep tonight. Or ever again, really.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Captain Log posted:

OK that's a stuffed dog and not a living one right? 'Cuz if that's a living dog . . . :smith:

Anyway, I thought I'd heard that these types of breeds tend to be more fastidious than the average dog, is that true? Like, I heard that they wash themselves sometimes. Y'know, just to add to the "ways primitives are like cats" list.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
^^ Dunno if this applies to all Pomeranians, or even all Spitz, but Keeper definitely cleans himself like a cat. He washes his paws if he gets dirty after eating and he refuses to go any further if he happens to get a burr or a foxtail caught on his leg during a walk. Just sits his rear end down like 'Well? Aren't you going to attend to this mess?"

a life less posted:

This is Viggo, and he's an Icelandic Sheepdog. He's another one of the dogs Cohen plays with at the park.

oh god SOMEDAY THIS WILL BE MINE

Icelandic Sheepdogs were one of the first breeds I latched onto when my mom gave me my big ole dog encyclopedia. I remember reading that they are particularly fond of fresh fish. :3:

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 3, 2010

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

HondaCivet posted:

OK that's a stuffed dog and not a living one right? 'Cuz if that's a living dog . . . :smith:

Anyway, I thought I'd heard that these types of breeds tend to be more fastidious than the average dog, is that true? Like, I heard that they wash themselves sometimes. Y'know, just to add to the "ways primitives are like cats" list.

That's a picture from the 19th century. :) How can you all not see that cute idiot dog for what he is!? Nothing to be afraid of! He looks like he would consider all things very important.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Captain Log posted:

That's a picture from the 19th century. :) How can you all not see that cute idiot dog for what he is!? Nothing to be afraid of! He looks like he would consider all things very important.

..They didn't have colour photography in the 19th century ;). The dog is stuffed. And looks like Frankie so idk what Super is talking about :rolleyes:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

notsoape posted:

..They didn't have colour photography in the 19th century ;). The dog is stuffed. And looks like Frankie so idk what Super is talking about :rolleyes:

Well gently caress me I never looked at it that closely. I thought it was just badly color-ized or whatever it's called.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

notsoape posted:

Um excuse me maybe you shouldn't make fun of Frankie like that he is very sensitive?????????

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

HondaCivet posted:

YES! Koji is like how Cpt Foxy described Keeper. He licks his paws, leaps over dirt, and seems to get his panties in a bunch when I make him walk through wet grass. The only thing Koji doesn't do like cats is the part where they lick their paws then rub their head. He FLIPS the gently caress out over his own poo (especially if he's eaten hair and it...hangs there :gonk:) and every time he goes he runs away from his poo ghosts, and will always clean himself after a good long walk or hike. But he stays so clean I really only find I have to wash him if we've been to the dog park too many times in a row and he found something super awesome to roll in, or just treked through the grass too many times and smells like pee (some of our dog parks are just awesome like that...). But even then, its pretty far and few between (which is good, because he clogs my tub! :argh:) I've even heard of other prim owners having filthy dogs but by the time they get home, they've groomed themselves back into an acceptable state.

It's pretty sweet.

ETA:

Hey, Abandon, I managed to piece together a larger version of the gene wheel from nature Magazine for you. It's roughly 1700x1500. I can go even bigger, the lines and text will translate into any size, but unfortunately much bigger than this and you'd have to find new pictures of the dogs since they start to get really pixelated.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 3, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

You know, I don't notice Kaidan cleaning himself that often, but he's almost never dirty. I don't know how it happens. We go on walks at 7:30 every morning through the dew-y grass and occasional mud, our backyard is primarily dirt currently, and the only dog park we go to is all bark but drat if his long, thick coat isn't consistently cleaner than Eris'. I know he's gotten little marks on his paws and legs from random treats and things we've given him over time and they always seem to be gone within a couple hours.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Buddy's a dainty little flower, too. He doesn't like going out in the rain and god forbid the grass is wet. True to his breed, the only thing he doesn't mind is snow. :haw: When he's in the yard, too, he'll really only go in the grass to do his business and do a "patrolling" sweep of "his" land, when he goes to lay down, it's always on our cement porch or occasionally the driveway.

My favorite story about how clean he is was when we went to visit my parents' one day RIGHT after my brother finished cutting the lawn. It was sorta when Buddy was still new, so I was planning on taking him around on his leash first, even though it's all fenced in, but my dad goes, "He's fine!" and lets him loose. :rolleyes: (side note, thankfully my brother heard jingling, he still had the fence open! :argh: ) Anyway, he goes BOLTING through the freshly cut grass and comes back with green paws. I'm thinking to myself, "Great! Now he's going to be green for ages, grass stains are SO hard to wash out of dogs..." but the next day, they were completely gone! :iiam:

Really, the only reason I wash Buddy about 4-12 weeks or so is mainly for his shedding. The bath really, really helps get the undercoat out. Plus, it's as easy (and cheap!) as just taking him to work with me. :haw: The distance between baths depends on how much he's shedding. Right now he's finished blowing his winter coat and shedding is at a minimum, so it's been awhile since his last bath, and it'll probably be a bit yet before I take him. Oh, if he seems itchy I'll wash him, too, because he's sensitive like that. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandon All Hope
Apr 6, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

paisleyfox posted:

YES! Koji is like how Cpt Foxy described Keeper. He licks his paws, leaps over dirt, and seems to get his panties in a bunch when I make him walk through wet grass. The only thing Koji doesn't do like cats is the part where they lick their paws then rub their head. He FLIPS the gently caress out over his own poo (especially if he's eaten hair and it...hangs there :gonk:) and every time he goes he runs away from his poo ghosts, and will always clean himself after a good long walk or hike. But he stays so clean I really only find I have to wash him if we've been to the dog park too many times in a row and he found something super awesome to roll in, or just treked through the grass too many times and smells like pee (some of our dog parks are just awesome like that...). But even then, its pretty far and few between (which is good, because he clogs my tub! :argh:) I've even heard of other prim owners having filthy dogs but by the time they get home, they've groomed themselves back into an acceptable state.

It's pretty sweet.

ETA:

Hey, Abandon, I managed to piece together a larger version of the gene wheel from nature Magazine for you. It's roughly 1700x1500. I can go even bigger, the lines and text will translate into any size, but unfortunately much bigger than this and you'd have to find new pictures of the dogs since they start to get really pixelated.

Thanks so much, Paisley. :)

And all of you have gorgeous dogs! The woman up the street has like 3 Shiba Inu and I adore them :3:

• Locked thread