Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Also, tail curling *technically* has nothing to do with whether or not a dog is primitive! Wolves themselves don't even have any curl to their tail, it's definitely a dog trait as opposed to a wolfy one.
Yeah, this seems to be true. Though a lot of the primitive breeds tend to have a curly tail. Do you know why this is (I don't)?

There was discussion earlier about spitz type dogs being assholes when playing. I need to get some video of my duo going at it, because they tend to attract comments like "Are you really sure they're just playing?" :ohdear: In the meantime I'll just post some pics.

They think this is a good way to initiate play. Not many dogs agree.

I think my friend's lagotto felt bullied

Sequence of play: run, crash, wrestle, repeat. Play-bite if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Yep, looks like their idea of play to me too :haw: It's pretty funny watching my dogs try to figure out how to play with each other. Kaidan doesn't really play much unless he's with other huskies but Eris (pit/herding mix) just body checks him when he gets the zoomies and sprints around the backyard in circles like a mad man. When she gets playful she play bows at him and hops around him like she's on springs and he just stares at her.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Keeper's so small that he basically just body-checks everyone in the ankles before bunny-rabbiting away. :downs:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Rixatrix posted:

Yeah, this seems to be true. Though a lot of the primitive breeds tend to have a curly tail. Do you know why this is (I don't)?

Actually, not really. In the main post I mentioned the Silver Fox domestication project, where they tried to tame foxes (and are still trying to get funding to further their research). The more tame foxes tended to have tails they held higher or curled, had coat patterns that differed drastically, lost the musky scent (foxes have a very strong odor, similar to skunks), and had more of dog-like tendencies, wagging tail, ears back, yipping/barking... I think it's just something to do with closely related genetics, though since I'm not a geneticist, I can't tell you exactly why. But tame versions of wild canid-like animals tend to get that curly tail from what I've observed.

Also, :haw: those dogs look like they are having a BALL!

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

Keeper's so small that he basically just body-checks everyone in the ankles before bunny-rabbiting away.
This is hilarious :D

"paisleyfox posted:

Also, those dogs look like they are having a BALL!
Yeah, getting another Lapponian to keep Pi company was the best decision I've made in a while. Pi loves to play, but his idea of playing really doesn't sit well with most other dogs: he'll sprint to full speed and crash into the dog he wants to play with (or just suddenly jump on him like in the first pic) and then he's completely mystified when he gets old off :downs: Now he has another idiot to play with as much as he likes, though I must say Rho is much, much better with adjusting his play to the dog he's playing with. We can even take Rho to dog parks.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

As a slight derail, the nerd in me loves your dogs' names.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I'm going to spazz out on the spitz breed picture postings here of my little Swedish Vallhund Asa. The breed dates to at least 1000+ years ago, so I ~hope~ she can be considered primitive - she definitely has the curly tail! And the attitude - very much a positive reinforcement only, and I'll listen if I want to. Not to say she's bad behaved, she just...has her moments. I really need to get more outdoor shots of her :(

https://wi.somethingawful.com/05/05e978ee9df5f7fd1ce82f1190165bbfdd504207.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/9d/9deec6574cee7d7f5ca933d1c25a6cc8f4fc5af3.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/51/51880b727fb95bc95bcfd5c67319381287aaac2c.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/ec/ec22ed139c85c057981701d67708dba49ba5401f.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/08/081724dac1d267cb95abeb56be3eb30cf8926046.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/8e/8ead88a30129c4d6ae21939e7428c7f5e510a468.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/43/4391b8c27233ba5a90aa1cae4b159af9e9005b8a.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/e2/e25a4d00c1e3612d937bec150c5e60928890e922.jpg

I can post a crapload of info on the breed if anyone is interested, or just PM me. I havn't had her long, but she has taught me a ton and I really feel like I'm not a horrid dog owner anymore!

edit: I'm a tard, fixing picture links and editing again.
edit the 2nd: yeah, so I can't get to waffle to fix the thumbnails, but I can link to the damned things. I'll fix it if I figure it out, I fix computers for a living but the intertubes vex me...

Siochain fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 9, 2010

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

It's called Västgötaspets in Swedish, "spets" being the Swedish word for "spitz." So as far as name goes it fits in. :p

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Pretty Cool Name posted:

It's called Västgötaspets in Swedish, "spets" being the Swedish word for "spitz." So as far as name goes it fits in. :p

Well poo poo its good enough for me then :) She belongs here, hahah. And the herding thread...and the "you look like an idiot" thread.
Gods dogs rule.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

rivals posted:

As a slight derail, the nerd in me loves your dogs' names.
Thanks! The other option we considered for Rho was Tesla, so I think that says enough about the nerd in us :D Tesla was discarded when most people thought we were getting a female pup (wtf??) Then again, I recently realized naming my dogs Pi and Rho is kind of like naming them A and B, but it's not like they care.

Swedish Vallhunds rock! I saw one (I think) at an agility trial last weekend.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 9, 2010

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Man, this explains so much about the chow my family had when I was growing up. Laid back and couldnt be assed to do anything until something that wasnt one of the family dared set foot in the yard. I have pretty vivid memories of wildlife crawling under the fence or birds flying into the garden only to have Tsar lunge out of nowhere. He swallowed a loving seagull that had right in front of me seconds before.

He got out a few times too, shoving his way past us out the gate. Most of the times he'd just stare at the other neighborhood dogs and then saunter back in, but on three occasions he ran off down the road, ignoring us as we ran after him and turn up days later, completely filthy.

He died at about 12 when a snake got into our yard and he did his usual thing, mauled it to death, though not quickly enough to avoid being bitted. :smith:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Rixatrix posted:

Thanks! The other option we considered for Rho was Tesla, so I think that says enough about the nerd in us :D Tesla was discarded when most people thought we were getting a female pup (wtf??) Then again, I recently realized naming my dogs Pi and Rho is kind of like naming them A and B, but it's not like they care.

Swedish Vallhunds rock! I saw one (I think) at an agility trial last weekend.

That definitely looks like a Vall. Awesome little dogs, full of personality. She's making me want to get so many other dogs so I can explore how other breeds are...I know I can't (+1 dog = -1 girlfriend), but damned if I'm not tempted some days hahah.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Koji has JUST started blowing coat last week. We vacuum pretty regularly around here, though the living room and hallway alone filled up 2 canisters with 2 passes just now. Fur is everywhere and every time I kick him outside, Furminate him, dust and vacuum then let him back in, he shakes and an explosion of fur rains down on my temporarily clean things.

This was a week's worth from under our TV stand alone:

*weep*

It's a good thing I love these dogs... :argh:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Have fun with that :) Kaidan just finished last week and I couldn't be happier. We're cleaning the entire house tonight because of it. I have some pictures of a couple days where his shedding was at it's worst so if I can find them I'll post them in my upcoming picture dump.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan photo dump!

First day (hence the choke collar that came on him :rolleyes:)

In Eris' crate

First Haircut (and by that I mean bath at the groomers)

Grumpy old man dog

Idiot dog

:ohdear:

Smallest Huskyball

:3::3::3::3::3:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Kaidan is absolutely adorable!

How long does it take for your dogs to finish shedding? I think Rho shed (well more than normally) for about a week, but Pi manages to find undercoat to push out after five weeks of furminating and vacuuming.

Even when they're not getting rid of their undercoat it's ridiculous how much these guys shed. I think our apartment had a fairly hairless two months last winter when it was below -10C for weeks on end. It was awesome :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh I know. He finished the undercoat and we got him groomed today (pictures tomorrow probably haha) and he still sheds a bit of fur when you pet him for a while. It seems to take him about 4-5 weeks to get it all out, but you can see a 7-10 day period where it's at its worst and that meant like 2-3 brushing sessions a day and vacuuming the house literally every day. He's lucky he's so damned cute :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

Kaidan photo dump!

:3::3::3::3::3:

:neckbeard: Kaidan!! He is just SO cute and small. :3: I bet him & Buddy would be about the same size if Buddy weren't so darned barrel chested. He's like someone took a larger husky's body & put it on Kaidan's legs. :laugh: I'll have to post more pictures of him later.

Rixatrix posted:

How long does it take for your dogs to finish shedding? I think Rho shed (well more than normally) for about a week, but Pi manages to find undercoat to push out after five weeks of furminating and vacuuming.

Well, lets see... Buddy probably started molting around March, got really bad around April/May, and he had just finished some time near the start of July. :argh: Oh, did I mention last week he started blowing his summer coat, too?

Part of his problem is our A/C in the summer. It gets to be boiling outside (especially this year for some reason, in the 90s most of the time) and we're big sissies AND we got central air for the first time this year, so we've been BLASTING it and keeping it pretty drat cool in the house. Buddy never quite got his nice, sleek summer coat this year, even at his lowest, it was still pretty puffy. Now that he's shedding again so early, my guess is he's going to go through two winter coats as well. :rolleyes: He'll likely grow a little bit of a thicker one for fall, then I'm guessing around December he'll blow coat again because that's when the temperature really starts to drop. Then in January and February we should FINALLY get a small break because the temperatures will be in single digits. Provided we MAKE him build up his tolerance (which we generally do, so he can still get exercise) he'll grow in a nice, thick, puffy coat that I'll regret making him grow come spring.

pandrax
Sep 9, 2010

u kno i have lupus rite?

About two years old.

At about 6-8 weeks, not sure.

I have videos of my dog on youtube, I don't want to spam the thread. Basically, my dog is either 100% feral, or 50% feral. He's not a wolf, because I found him in Baghdad, Iraq while I was deployed and wolves, at least those we're familiar with, just don't exist there. Undomesticated and primitive breeds, however, are all over the middle east. I never had an undomesticated dog before him, so it has been a learning experience. One thing I've noticed is he changes the pitch in his bark (to pretend to be a larger group of dogs), and never licks anyone. Or shows much affection. He does have a curly tail, like an akita or shiba inu - which is why I got, as a companion/pack buddy, a shiba/pit bull mix. They get a lot really great together. The big guy (his name is Jolly) is about 80lbs (which is light for a hybrid, making me doubt he's really wolf), the shiba mix is 35 or so. They fight a lot but have a well-established 'pack order' going on. They've never hurt each other, and the small guy is usually the one starting the fights.

The SPCA, through Operation Baghdad Pups, brought him home for me. They have a really good program that helps Soldiers bring home animals from Iraq/Afghanistan.

pandrax fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 10, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

pandrax posted:

About two years old.

Hee, he and Koji are smile buddies. :3:

I find this IS Koji's show of affection, besides his tendency to lean on our legs or chew on our fingers. Other than that, he doesn't really show he "cares" like other dogs do. He is usually pretty subtle with his affection (which should not be confused with the excitement he gets when someone comes over or he meets someone new).

Was it hard bringing him with you when you were coming home?

shady anachronism
Oct 14, 2006

Where's my goddamned milk?!

pandrax posted:

About two years old.

At about 6-8 weeks, not sure.

I have videos of my dog on youtube, I don't want to spam the thread. Basically, my dog is either 100% feral, or 50% feral. He's not a wolf, because I found him in Baghdad, Iraq while I was deployed and wolves, at least those we're familiar with, just don't exist there. Undomesticated and primitive breeds, however, are all over the middle east. I never had an undomesticated dog before him, so it has been a learning experience. One thing I've noticed is he changes the pitch in his bark (to pretend to be a larger group of dogs), and never licks anyone. Or shows much affection.

Wow. It's pretty incredible that you were able to take him home from Iraq. Great looking dog.

pandrax
Sep 9, 2010

u kno i have lupus rite?

paisleyfox posted:

Hee, he and Koji are smile buddies. :3:

I find this IS Koji's show of affection, besides his tendency to lean on our legs or chew on our fingers. Other than that, he doesn't really show he "cares" like other dogs do. He is usually pretty subtle with his affection (which should not be confused with the excitement he gets when someone comes over or he meets someone new).

Was it hard bringing him with you when you were coming home?

That's an awesome dog. I know what you mean about the "caring" part. He gets close to us, sits on laps, but just likes to be on his own. He stalks around my backyard looking for stuff to hunt. He catches a lot of rodents/possums/squirrels.

It was actually a lot easier to take him home than it would seem. The SPCA's Operation Baghdad Pups project got him on a flight out of Iraq, to Kuwait, then he took a FedEx (donated space by them) flight to Europe, chartered from France or Germany, to New Jersey. I paid for his last leg of travel, the rest was donated air space, and done as a group of about 10 dogs. Before getting him out of country I had to have him vaccinated, and when he got back home, he had to be fixed, vaccinated again, but that was about it. The SPCA also donated a chip and free training with Bark Busters. They were really professional about all of this, and because I got Jolly as a puppy, he would have lived on the city streets as a stray. So I think his life's a lot better being with me in the states than being in Iraq.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

pandrax posted:

It was actually a lot easier to take him home than it would seem. The SPCA's Operation Baghdad Pups project got him on a flight out of Iraq, to Kuwait, then he took a FedEx (donated space by them) flight to Europe, chartered from France or Germany, to New Jersey. I paid for his last leg of travel, the rest was donated air space, and done as a group of about 10 dogs. Before getting him out of country I had to have him vaccinated, and when he got back home, he had to be fixed, vaccinated again, but that was about it. The SPCA also donated a chip and free training with Bark Busters. They were really professional about all of this, and because I got Jolly as a puppy, he would have lived on the city streets as a stray. So I think his life's a lot better being with me in the states than being in Iraq.

Wow, that's a kick-rear end program. It never even occurred to me that something like that would even exist, but it's great to see dogs like that get a real chance. And he's a gorgeous dog. I wouldn't mind a little spam of him.

pandrax
Sep 9, 2010

u kno i have lupus rite?

neongrey posted:

Wow, that's a kick-rear end program. It never even occurred to me that something like that would even exist, but it's great to see dogs like that get a real chance. And he's a gorgeous dog. I wouldn't mind a little spam of him.

I really respect what the SPCA is doing. They also, last I heard, are doing spay/neuter and vaccine programs in Iraq (or working with Civil Affairs teams to do it). Stray dogs are a big problem over there, as people generally don't keep dogs as pets. Some places I'd go to would have packs of stray dogs all over the streets. I was mainly in Baghdad, so I can't speak for an entire country.

Here are a few of the videos I put on YouTube of Jolly.

This one is him acting passive and submissive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MsGZUxROGI

This is him sitting on my girlfriend's lap - he gets really possessive of her and tells me to more or less back off.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lZOFoiA9tE

This is pretty much the same thing, he has this giant green toy (I got it because it was too big for the other dog to pick up or steal from him). He got very, very attached to it. When he isn't playing with it, I put it away because he gets really protective of it. This video is me walking a step towards him, then backing off. He never actually plays with it, he just likes to sit by it. I have no idea what he's thinking or what's going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNj31cL5N44

This is Jolly, and Scout (the shiba/pit bull mix), going after a squirrel that's in the trees. Interesting to me is that towards the end of the clip, he bites a bush, on the same exact branch, he always does this and gradually most of the low-hanging shrugs/trees in my backyard are getting pruned. Another thing he does is that if he spots something to chase, before he runs after it he will bite the other dog - I'm guessing it's to assert that he's an alpha, and that the rodent/squirrel is 'his' to go after. The two dogs normally get along pretty good, and the shiba/pit actually starts more fights with him than the other way around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nbTpGtaLXk

Lastly, this one is interesting because in the start he's playing with a rope and shaking his head. I'm guessing that he does it to kill whatever he caught? I am walking with a paper bag from the grocery store and he wigs out on the bag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK66wLG37No

I record him a lot and usually just post the aggro/snarling stuff because it's the most interesting aspect of his behavior (and the easiest to capture on video). He's never bitten me very hard, but I also try not to encourage him.

One thing I do notice is that if small kids are around, especially girls, he starts pinging really hard. It's something about the voice and posture that's similar enough to prey behavior, and I try to explain to people what he's like. I'm interested in hearing from other people if Jolly is at all like their breeds. When I take him for walks, I have to avoid other dogs because generally all of them are smaller than he is, as well as try to start fights with him.

I have him trained so that when he sits, he stops barking and calms down. My neighborhood has a lot of small dogs, and I've had trouble with other-wise good intentioned people letting their dog get off of the leash. One thing I know is that even if the other dog was the aggressor it would look really, really bad if a fight started. In general, people mistake him for a rottweiler or german shepherd, so I usually tell people in public that he's a mix of those. I take him to dog parks a lot, and because it is, to him, a public space, he never gets into scraps with other dogs. It's hard to socialize him with other dogs if it's not in a public environment.

A few things that others with primitive breeds might notice about their dogs. The retinas of his eyes are red, and not the blue-green that other domesticated dogs are. When I use flash photography or have a flashlight, his eyes glow red/orange and the other dog I have has blue eyes. He squats to pee instead of lifting a leg. He doesn't seem interested in marking his territory, but seems to bark to do so instead. When he sits, he almost always sits sidesaddle (both legs going the same direction, and resting on the side of his hip) instead of straight down. I'm worried about potential hip problems. He seems to have two layers of fur, and sheds a lot when it starts getting warmer. He also has a multi-tonal bark, and I find him barking really soft and quietly, then going back to really loud, high pitched barks as well.

I know he's a little different from other primitive breeds because of where he came from, so I was wondering what everyone thought.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Wow, this thread is amazing!

My husband and I just adopted a 10 month old American Eskimo. I had no idea they were a primitive breed, but it sure explains a lot. She's very smart and we're doing all positive training via her high food motivation. The only real problem we're having so far is that she is very protective, so barking inside at noises outside (we live in an apartment) and barking/jumping at people/dogs outside.

In the two weeks we've had her, she has improved on both barking inside and at people outside, though it's obvious that she is leash reactive and there are no fenced dog parks around here. I know that she can get along with other dogs because she did at the foster, but she tends to sniff then lunge at them before playing. When she's on the leash it's just impossible. She barks her fool head off and then I can't be sure if she's going to start playing or start biting.

When primitive breeds play rough with non-primitive breeds is it common for the other dog (who is usually really chill) to growl back? When she lunges, the other dog growls back and this may just be a 'calm the gently caress down!' growl or the other dog may be actually pissed, I can't tell yet.

It's only been two weeks though and we're having a blast with training. I'd post pictures if I knew what hosts are kosher these days.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Waffleimages is the standard, though it was down a few days ago when I posted that picture dump. Tinypic is okay too, and of course your own photobucket account, and probably flickr but I'm not positive on that.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

pandrax posted:

Lastly, this one is interesting because in the start he's playing with a rope and shaking his head. I'm guessing that he does it to kill whatever he caught?

Yep! That's pretty much it.

And don't worry about the sitting. Koji tends to sit like a loose whore at times like that, too, and his hips are fine. ;) He also does this:

I call it "frog dog" or "chicken legs" since it makes him look like a butterflied chicken. He actually fell asleep like this, nose in the door, since I was tired of opening the door for him every 10 minutes to romp in the snow then bark to be let back in. :rolleyes:

Kiri koli posted:

Eskie talk with no pictures :colbert:

Yeah, every place rivals suggested is good. I generally use Photobucket for the bulk, flickr if I already uploaded something on there, but it is usually a little harder to link images (they changed their sharing option, so it's a headache to find it sometimes.)

Go check out the two videos in the OP. There are a LOT of sounds going on, but they're all play sounds. It depends on the growl, too. Koji goes for more of a yell, personally. Just be sure you continue to train and socialize by shoving extra special treats in his mouth when he does something correctly. Koji barks every time he hears a door knock or a car he recognizes, but it's more of an alert than telling people to stay away, his tail always wags and if they don't get to him fast enough he cries. :3:

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

paisleyfox posted:

Yeah, every place rivals suggested is good. I generally use Photobucket for the bulk, flickr if I already uploaded something on there, but it is usually a little harder to link images (they changed their sharing option, so it's a headache to find it sometimes.)

Go check out the two videos in the OP. There are a LOT of sounds going on, but they're all play sounds. It depends on the growl, too. Koji goes for more of a yell, personally. Just be sure you continue to train and socialize by shoving extra special treats in his mouth when he does something correctly. Koji barks every time he hears a door knock or a car he recognizes, but it's more of an alert than telling people to stay away, his tail always wags and if they don't get to him fast enough he cries. :3:

Does anyone know if linking from picasa works? I usually use it, but I'll use photobucket this time. Edit: on second thought, photobucket can bite me.

Her name is Psyche, partially because we both like greek history a lot and partially because my landlords require a doctor's note, so I have a note (from an RN, shh!) saying that I need her for my stress levels. :D

Psyche the Destoyer!! (she has the dog's tail in her mouth, which she ripped off after she gutted his head)

Her hobbies include destroying things and misbehaving and then looking supercute afterwards.

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 13, 2010

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Give https://www.imgur.com a try.

Your dog looks awesome. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

pandrax posted:

Here are a few of the videos I put on YouTube of Jolly.

I just want to mention that it looks like there's some pretty dangerous stuff going on with Jolly's behavior that you're probably unintentionally encouraging. Obviously, I'm talking about the videos where he's growling and correcting you. You shouldn't allow him in situations where he can do that, and especially shouldn't try to appease him like you are. Particularly, in the video with the toy, I'm pretty sure you're trying to keep him calm, but when you say, "Good boy" and praise him, you're also backing off. He thinks he's doing right by protecting his toy and growling at you. You also shouldn't allow him to be so aggressive around your girlfriend like that. Your girlfriend is not his to possess. Nothing is, you need to establish that good things come from you, and only if he's being good.

You should look in to NILF training (Nothing In Life is Free) as it's a great system with primitive dogs. Your dog needs to have more boundaries than he does, it seems like he's been given a lot of leeway (which is a common mistake with primitive breed owners) and has taken it upon himself to "rule" the house as it were. You want him to work for everything he gets that he wants, like food, treats, toys, going outside, etc. He needs to do things like sit and be patient, lay down, or do tricks. He should not be allowed on the couch (as much as I'm sure you love cuddle time) because he's claiming the spot (and your girlfriend) as his own. Toys shouldn't be just up for grabs, they should only come from you, and should be taken away easily. If your dog is GOOD about letting you near his toy, you should praise him like crazy and give him some treats to show that by letting you take his things, he gets even BETTER things as a result.

You shouldn't tolerate or just "live with" aggressive behavior just because of where your dog came from. Although it may be more natural for a semi-feral dog to act that way, he's still a dog, and he was still raised from a young enough age that such actions should be able to be managed with proper training and structure at home. :)

Kiri koli posted:

Awesome American Eskimo

That is such an awesome doggy! :D

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

I will finally quit lurking and atually contribute here, thanks thread. :colbert:

My parents adopted an odd mishmash of husky, malamute, and I believe German shepherd from a rescue a couple of years back. Her seperation anxiety and toy aggression was through the roof when they first brought her home but she really has come a long way since then. (NILF is amazing.)

She tries to act all dignified, but I'll be damned if being brushed outside in the snow is not THE best thing ever. Personally I don't think I could ever give up the bad attitude and sheer volumes of fluff when it comes to dogs now, what would be the fun in that?

Would Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs / Saarloos Wolfhounds be welcome in this thread? :ohdear: Although they have wolf content they aren't an ancient breed at all. They are pretty assholeish though.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Sock Weasel posted:

Would Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs / Saarloos Wolfhounds be welcome in this thread? :ohdear: Although they have wolf content they aren't an ancient breed at all. They are pretty assholeish though.

What a gorgeous dog!

And I'm sure Vlcaks etc are more than welcome. I'd love to see/hear more about them.

a life less fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 13, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yes I believe WolfBag is going to cover Vlcaks and many even Saarloos in an upcoming post. I can't wait :)

Edit: and that dog is beautiful :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

What a gorgeous dog!

And I'm sure Vlacks etc are more than welcome. I'd love to see/hear more about them.

What do you think I've been working on? :colbert:

(and by working on, I mean having info sitting around that I haven't been able to coherently compile yet... :ssh: )

Edit: Damnit, Rivals, you're too fast.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm still waiting on Wolves Part 2 : hybrid boogaloo :(

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

RizieN posted:

I'm still waiting on Wolves Part 2 : hybrid boogaloo :(

YES! That is SO going to be the title now. :3: hahahahaha! Seriously, all those parts were going to be together. It's the hybrid part that I'm stuck on, I know all the stuff I want to say, but I just can't manage to have it make sense. :confused: I promise I'll get it done, though!

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Yay, good stuff. Looking forward to it! In that case then I will just leave this charming picture of my loathsome beast wonderful puppy right here.

Basically he's an 8 month old Vlack / Czechoslovakian Wolfdog who I will definitely give you guys a write up of once I'm not half asleep :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

YES! That is SO going to be the title now. :3: hahahahaha! Seriously, all those parts were going to be together. It's the hybrid part that I'm stuck on, I know all the stuff I want to say, but I just can't manage to have it make sense. :confused: I promise I'll get it done, though!

Let me know if you need help on any of that!

Sock Weasel posted:

Basically he's an 8 month old Vlack / Czechoslovakian Wolfdog who I will definitely give you guys a write up of once I'm not half asleep :3:

He looks awesome, out of curiosity what kennel is he from?

pandrax
Sep 9, 2010

u kno i have lupus rite?

WolfensteinBag posted:

I just want to mention that it looks like there's some pretty dangerous stuff going on with Jolly's behavior that you're probably unintentionally encouraging. Obviously, I'm talking about the videos where he's growling and correcting you. You shouldn't allow him in situations where he can do that, and especially shouldn't try to appease him like you are. Particularly, in the video with the toy, I'm pretty sure you're trying to keep him calm, but when you say, "Good boy" and praise him, you're also backing off. He thinks he's doing right by protecting his toy and growling at you. You also shouldn't allow him to be so aggressive around your girlfriend like that. Your girlfriend is not his to possess. Nothing is, you need to establish that good things come from you, and only if he's being good.

You should look in to NILF training (Nothing In Life is Free) as it's a great system with primitive dogs. Your dog needs to have more boundaries than he does, it seems like he's been given a lot of leeway (which is a common mistake with primitive breed owners) and has taken it upon himself to "rule" the house as it were. You want him to work for everything he gets that he wants, like food, treats, toys, going outside, etc. He needs to do things like sit and be patient, lay down, or do tricks. He should not be allowed on the couch (as much as I'm sure you love cuddle time) because he's claiming the spot (and your girlfriend) as his own. Toys shouldn't be just up for grabs, they should only come from you, and should be taken away easily. If your dog is GOOD about letting you near his toy, you should praise him like crazy and give him some treats to show that by letting you take his things, he gets even BETTER things as a result.

Since you commented back, I've gone full out with the NILF training. It works and it works fast. I'm having a harder time explaining to roommates and guests, than training Jolly to be in line. Spoiling him, or letting him get away with stuff (even if it's just for the camera) made him pretty unmanageable at times. I spent the last couple days with a water bottle and a bag of treats, and it made a big difference. I just wanted to update on that. The couch thing needs to be worked on - we seldom let him in but he does go straight to the couch. He sits before I give him a bowl of food (usually without telling him to, and if he doesn't sit, then he doesn't get anything until he does). I find him at his most unreasonable if he hasn't eaten in awhile. I hid all of the toys and he won't get most of them back for awhile. In the past I've found most of the backyard drama between the two dogs has been over rawhide and bones - so I'm cutting those out completely and just going to use treats that will be gone fast instead of something that he can be aggro/possessive over for hours to days.

Thanks for the input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

pandrax posted:

Since you commented back, I've gone full out with the NILF training. It works and it works fast. I'm having a harder time explaining to roommates and guests, than training Jolly to be in line. Spoiling him, or letting him get away with stuff (even if it's just for the camera) made him pretty unmanageable at times. I spent the last couple days with a water bottle and a bag of treats, and it made a big difference. I just wanted to update on that. The couch thing needs to be worked on - we seldom let him in but he does go straight to the couch. He sits before I give him a bowl of food (usually without telling him to, and if he doesn't sit, then he doesn't get anything until he does). I find him at his most unreasonable if he hasn't eaten in awhile. I hid all of the toys and he won't get most of them back for awhile. In the past I've found most of the backyard drama between the two dogs has been over rawhide and bones - so I'm cutting those out completely and just going to use treats that will be gone fast instead of something that he can be aggro/possessive over for hours to days.

Thanks for the input.

Oh, that's great to hear! And yes, it's pretty hard to convince other people to follow your training techniques. I hear a lot of times of people having a hard time of ignoring the dog that jumps all over them when they come in the door because the jumping just means he loves you and isn't rude and why wouldn't EVERYONE love that?!

Keep us updated on Jolly!

• Locked thread