Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

^ tables, bro. tables.

Ponyfields posted:

Was going to do my first foster, a Japanese Spitz who was supposedly neutered, good with other dogs, good with kids, no separation anxiety and generally well behaved. He had only been in kennels "a little while."

Turns out he is intact, reactive to other dogs, barks constantly if you leave him alone and has been in kennels nearly two years. Oh, and the kennels were making noises about refusing to release him to a foster home, wanting him to go to a forever home immediately, and demanding the £3,000 bill for his stay in kennels be paid first.

Is rescue always this dramatic and lovely? He seems like a sweet dog, but the rescue was suspiciously reluctant to provide me with the address of the person I was supposed to be dropping him off with until my girl was out of heat and I could foster and I have a horrible feeling they would have considered it a win if I had pulled the dog (I didn't, thank god!) and I got stuck with a reactive dog going mental in my house over Xmas to get to his sexy, sexy stepsister. Because at least he's not in kennels over Christmas!

Lol my rescue would beat the crap out of another rescue if they pulled that, that's incredibly dickish/lousy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butthead
May 31, 2011

Fraction posted:

^ tables, bro. tables.

Lol my rescue would beat the crap out of another rescue if they pulled that, that's incredibly dickish/lousy.

Shoot, phone app hid that from me. I'll edit it out and repost it later.

e: bonus pic:

All I have are crappy cell phone pictures right now.

Butthead fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 22, 2014

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

PST posted:

In 7ish weeks now I'll be bringing a Malamute puppy home (pictures to come once we've picked out which one in a couple of weeks when we visit).

It's funny because we just settled on a Malamute breeder who will be breeding one of her dogs in the spring/summer time frame, and I spent a lot of time trolling through this thread and some of the others for info. Nice to see someone else having the same crazy ideas.

I'm pretty excited to post pictures once we have our ball of fluff fluff.

My husband was initially apprehensive about the idea of getting a "larger" dog (his experience with dogs have been with Bichons at the biggest) but we went to a pulling tournament to meet with the breeder and her dogs as well as other breeders/dogs in the local Malamute club and I think all his doubts went out the window. After an hour of meeting over a dozen different malamutes we're both pretty set. I'm getting excited about the possibility of skijoring in a year or two and having a doggy companion to take backpacking with us. :)

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Ashwat posted:

It's funny because we just settled on a Malamute breeder who will be breeding one of her dogs in the spring/summer time frame, and I spent a lot of time trolling through this thread and some of the others for info. Nice to see someone else having the same crazy ideas.

I'm pretty excited to post pictures once we have our ball of fluff fluff.

My husband was initially apprehensive about the idea of getting a "larger" dog (his experience with dogs have been with Bichons at the biggest) but we went to a pulling tournament to meet with the breeder and her dogs as well as other breeders/dogs in the local Malamute club and I think all his doubts went out the window. After an hour of meeting over a dozen different malamutes we're both pretty set. I'm getting excited about the possibility of skijoring in a year or two and having a doggy companion to take backpacking with us. :)

We went through the same process, I grew up with dogs, my wife's never owned one so she's been doing a lot of reading up. She ruled out a husky just because of how insane/over the top and escape-prone they can be (we have hedges rather than a huge fence) but she fell in love with mals when she got me a weekend of dog-sledding for my birthday. We also went to some weight pulls and I spent a month researching breeders, talking to breeders who didn't have litters coming up to ask who they recommended etc. There are so many terrible dog breeders out there that, for me, paying the extra to go with someone reliable was worth it (no I don't want to take two at once, no I don't think 6 weeks is old enough etc. ).

Bikejoring rather than skiing for us (England's not that known for snow) but we have a 300 acre wood just over a mile from our house so that should be great to use when he hits 18 months or so.

Edit: Bowser looks awesome, if not for the shiba scream we might have ended up with one because they're such great dogs, but just hearing it once was enough for my wife to flatly refuse!

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

Oh my god, he's adorable *_* Shame the rescue were so lovely and dishonest :(

Luna ran into her Dad at the dog beach yesterday. My husband was out walking her, came across a person with two spitzes and they figured out the boy one was a stud for the kennels Luna came from. Apparently they both snapped at each other like total dicks. So that's where she gets her great manners from <3

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Awww, I'm so sorry. :(

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
One week to go until this little guy is coming home with us and my credit card is taking a beating with crate/collar/bowls/food/toys/treats etc. Still shopping around pet insurance policies, which I swear are more arcane and filled with dubious small print than car/life policies.

AnomalousTritanope
Aug 9, 2013

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

PST posted:

One week to go until this little guy is coming home with us and my credit card is taking a beating with crate/collar/bowls/food/toys/treats etc. Still shopping around pet insurance policies, which I swear are more arcane and filled with dubious small print than car/life policies.

Oh my GOD. You have to post every picture you take when you bring him home. Do you have a name yet?

This old man thinks "Goliath Jr." is a good name for a young pup.

Forgot to post this picture, but Goliath turned (maybe) 10 this past November, which was his two year adoption anniversary. Love this dog so much.

He blew his coat to the EXTREME this past fall. My boyfriend's parents just so happened to have an antique spinning wheel, so we saved all his hair that we brushed out and made some double ply doggy hair yarn. We had no clue what we were doing so we Youtubed how to spin wool, the results are far from perfect and the wheel isn't in great shape, but we could probably knit some primitive (but very warm) scarves from the skeins we made. With his winter coat, he went from having a completely white face to having a salt and pepper stripe up his nose. It's super cute and I need to kiss it all the time.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

If you don't use that yarn to knit tiny plush malamutes you are missing a huge opportunity.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

PST posted:

Oh god the cuteness overload. You're making me anxious for whenever we bring home our malamute family member this spring/summer.

Let me know when you find a good pet insurance policy, I've been looking around but haven't really tried to hard to find anything yet.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

PST posted:

LOOK AT HIS FLOPPY EAR AAAIGH.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
I know not much research has been done on primitive breeds yet, but my Kangal mix like they could be one.

1. Rough Play (she roars like a bear and charges everything like a runaway train of joy)
2. Ignores me whenever she's supposed to do something terrible like 'come inside' or 'stop chasing cattle'
3. Food motivated
4. The SHEDDING DEAR GOD THE SHEDDING

Actually if anyone has a brush they recommend for the double coat, I'd like to hear it.

thighsparkles
Sep 25, 2014

So cute!! 😜

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

dragon_pamcake posted:

4. The SHEDDING DEAR GOD THE SHEDDING

Actually if anyone has a brush they recommend for the double coat, I'd like to hear it.

Furminator works well for me.

Moto Punch
Feb 3, 2009

quote:

Double row rotating pin comb (undercoat rake) + slicker brush works well for my Spitz.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

dragon_pamcake posted:

I mostly rely on these:

Zoom Groom

This is great for baths and getting fur off furniture! Also nice on dogs with sensitive skin issues.

Undercoat Comb/Rake

This is one I use the most next to a greyhound comb

Greyhound Comb

The most versatile tool you could have. Just a straight up comb. This has honestly worked the BEST for me for both shorter and longer double coats.

Flea Comb

I use this bad boy on areas with really short fur, mostly around the legs and ears, only if needed. To try and get down far enough in my dogs' plush coats with one of these just doesn't work, it's too thick. The greyhound comb works just as well for pulling out ticks and fleas should I have any to take out with a comb.

Coat Hook

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I backed the kickstarter and I'm kind of excited to mess with it. :3 It's a comb with a bunch of tiny hooks at the end to snag undercoat. They also put in a feature with even tinier hooks on the back to help depill sweaters! Because why not.

I don't use slicker brushes or the Furminator anymore. Koji hates the feeling of the slicker and I just use the Zoom Groom for finishing up now these days anyway. I swore by the Furminator until I noticed it was cutting too much off the coat and not actually pulling out undercoat, just slicing top and undercoat. When I stopped using it and switched exclusively to combing, I noticed Koji's lovely coat started coming in fuller (it's still lovely just not as lovely. lovely breeding, though.) I gave them away before I got Ellie so I've never used anything other than the above on her.

Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011
This thread convinced me that I wanted a primitive breed, and it makes me sad to see it sink down the forum.

Behold, Yuuna. Isn't she lovely?

Stunning example of the primitive breed's amazing bond with their owner, and the impressive recall that comes about as a result of that bond.

Out of shot: dog she totally wants to play with and not smear across the beach (probably)

Weeeeeeee.

Bye bitch.

Ponyfields fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 11, 2015

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
I get to go pick up my new floofball on Sunday! :3:

2.5 year old malamute male Kovu (I guess some young girls that got him as a puppy really liked the Lion King)

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

That's a good rear end dog.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
He seems to be adapting to his new home quite nicely...

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Edit: Long post gone now. Was a bit all over the place.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 11, 2015

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Kovu is so handsome :3: - Seems like he's happy to be home!

Goliath taking a nap.

If anyone's interested, World Malamutes United is a group on Facebook where people from around the world post pictures of their Mals. There have recently been quite a few puppy pictures and they're so cute I can hardly stand it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

This is Alfie after being tricked into holding a bone. She had no idea what to do with it so she just held it for a while looking uncomfortable.

I just discovered this thread and wanted to share my neurotic goof of a dog. Reading the OP had me saying, "Holy poo poo that sounds like Alfie!" with just about every line. Alfie is 11 and according to her vet papers is a chow and Shepard mix. She has a tie-tied pink and purple tongue, curled tail, terrible allergies, a thick dual coat, tons of primitive behaviors, and hip dysplasia which even if she's not chow, lead me to believe she absolutely a primitive.

Alfie has a had a bit of a rough life, she was my girlfriends dog in high school but was stuck living wither her insane mother until this year due to lease/renting reasons. Her mom is physically handicap and is totally incapable of caring for a dog...let alone the 3 she still has but that's a whole different problem. Anyway, Alfie has probably spent the last 7 or 8 years living with my girlfriends mom where she has developed some behavior issues due to lack of exercise, training, or any sort of discipline. She disemboweled a small dog that was barking/nipping/harassing her (fortunately that dog is OK, unfortunately it still lives with her mom) and is extremely resource guarding with food. She's fine with me taking her food bowl away, but if she manages to snag a piece of people food or a snotty tissue that she thinks is food and wants to eat then you are risking fingers trying to get it away. We are also pretty sure she has anxiety and has some behaviors we would call OCD if she was human.

I know she sounds like a monster, but we have been working really hard with her to get her in shape and learning to behave. We know dog parks and the like are off the table, and she's fine with other dogs on her leash but we generally don't introduce her to any dogs much smaller then her little sister who is around 30 lbs. (Alfie weighs about 50). She's still neurotic sometimes and has little episodes here in there where she growls and runs to the kitchen or our bedroom, but she seems to know she hosed up and slinks back and does a little paw raise apology since her only trick is to shake. This usually happens if we push her a little too hard in training or tell her to get off the couch. Her behavior has been steadily improving and we are going weeks between issues. It's been amazing what some structure and exercise has done for her.

Here she is laying with her little sister Mona, who the rescue thinks is a King Charles Cavalier and some kind of Shepard mix. Her extreme desire to please and live on your lap leads me to believe she has no primitive in her.

A week or two ago we went to a state park and she did a whole 3 miles of trail hiking. She was pretty excited to run into the stream and cool off a bit.

Here she is bored on a rainy day.

:Edit: I have sense learned from my girlfriend that disembowling was a bit of hyperbole. The other dog had to get some serious stitches but didn't dump it's organs on the floor.

Daedalus Esquire fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 4, 2015

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
My girlfriend talked me into volunteering at a Husky/Malamute rescue, so I have to image dump some photos of my faves. I'm not exactly a ~dog person~ but these critters are charming.

This is Glacier. Don't be fooled by his composed look in this picture.

He's all teeth and legs and energy.

He's some kind of Husky mix. My best guess is sight hound. I love his crazy-eye.

Halo is a gorgeous, under-socialized, skittish creature. She looks a bit wolfy so I keep slipping up and calling her Lady.

She was dubious about these stairs...

But climbed them in exchange for some bread. She was super gentle taking treats :3:

She's also really smart. Girlfriend tried to teach her to give her paw with some of the extra bread (because clearly this is a training priority). It didn't go anywhere because she's a little fearful about being touched anywhere except her back and head, but later she heard me say the word "paw" in a sentence and reached hers out to me. And no, I WON'T believe it was a coincidence; she's a SMART DOG :colbert:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
This butt

I left a breakfast burrito and mcmuffin on living room table and went out to get some onions and stuff. I came back to find the mcmuffin wrapper in pieces on the right and a missing burrito.

She hid it under her bed to eat later.

She knows not to touch food if I am there, but all bets are off once I am no longer present. I was too busy laughing to even be slightly angry at her. Especially since it was my fault for leaving it where she could reach it.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Hi thread, I miss you. More Yuuna(living vicariously through you Ponyfields, they're a dream breed for me), and Goliath pics please.

Cross posting pics from the new puppy thread plus a few more, but this is our recent adoption we named Dorian:

He was found as a stray a couple cities away and ended up here. He had bad mats throughout the back half of his body; they were debating shaving him but, knowing how bad that is for double coated breeds, just cut out the mats and burrs(thank god cause look at that floof). He was super shy and timid with people but loved being around other dogs.

We had been talking about getting a dog for months and I was browsing rescues out of boredom and came across his picture and wanted to meet him instantly. We set up a meeting and the lady prefaced it telling us how he was basically a nervous wreck, was very scared/anxious, and she didn't think he was adoptable yet(he'd been in the rescue about 3 weeks at that point). We came into the meeting area and he came straight up to us for pets and she was shocked. We were basically a done deal since.

Thus far he's adjusting to the house well; he's not crazy about walks on his own so that's something we're going to work on with treats and stuff, and he was panting a lot for the first hour or so when we got to the house but then passed out hard. I've never met a more chill husky in my life*. The rescue people were saying that they normally tell northern breed adopters that they're not good dog park dogs but he's an exception because he loves every dog he meets :3:

*in case it needs saying, we're expecting and prepared for his energy to increase as his acclimates

It's been this for the last 12+ hours (mostly)off and on:

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Oh man that face :kimchi: What a good dog

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.
So I read this thread when it first started, out of curiosity. Long before I started working with animals full time, etc.

At the time I thought, "primitive breeds aren't for me."

Now, I have a theory that the undercoat works like Toxo and parasitically infects your brain and turns you into the crazy husky lady.

http://imgur.com/a/lrAl0

I started working for an arctic breed rescue in '14, for work experience. Now I have two rear end in a top hat huskies and a Rottweiler x malamute. Who is also a bit of an rear end in a top hat sometimes.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita in what my wife now calls the Nikita Lounge.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Boris pouting because he didn't get any meat scraps from our take-away box

So we gave him some dog-appropriate treats

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
My husband and I are about to get our first dog and despite saying we'd like a small breed (I grew up with chihuahuas and he had miniature schnauzers) I've fallen completely in love with an Akita mix at the local shelter :allears:

She's already 10 years old and according to her foster family very chill, good with other dogs and even cats, and just all around easy going—though apparently not great with commands like sit, etc. We live in a ~950 sq foot condo and I go out walking/jogging daily so I'm really convincing myself this is a good fit. I know she's likely to only live a few more years and I'd love to give her a good home in the meantime. Is this a terrible idea for someone's first dog?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

squidtarts posted:

My husband and I are about to get our first dog and despite saying we'd like a small breed (I grew up with chihuahuas and he had miniature schnauzers) I've fallen completely in love with an Akita mix at the local shelter :allears:

She's already 10 years old and according to her foster family very chill, good with other dogs and even cats, and just all around easy going—though apparently not great with commands like sit, etc. We live in a ~950 sq foot condo and I go out walking/jogging daily so I'm really convincing myself this is a good fit. I know she's likely to only live a few more years and I'd love to give her a good home in the meantime. Is this a terrible idea for someone's first dog?

If you're in love with her, bring her home! I always thought my first dog would be a medium sized, short-haired dog, but we fell in love with an eight year old Malamute at the shelter instead. I had excluded hairy dogs from my mind (unfairly) because they require more maintenance, but the instant love connection happened, and we have zero regrets. Best dog ever.

There's a reason this thread has its title, primitives do what they want, but that's a characteristic I've found I like. They're not very dog-like. We've managed to teach our old man several commands, but he's very much a free thinker. That doesn't make them "naughty," they're just independent! Dogs can be taught things regardless of age or breed.

Age is just a number. Often, shelter/rescue dogs' true ages aren't known, but you will never know how long a dog will live, she could be around for years to come. If she is definitely ten, it still doesn't matter! We've had Goliath for about three and a half years and while we can tell he is an older dog, he is still thriving. Even if her time with you may be shorter, she still deserves an opportunity to have a great home for the rest of her life. You have the love connection, and that is the most important thing. Research the needs and traits of older Akitas, and if it's something you can imagine fitting into your lifestyle, DO IT.

Adopting an older primitive breed as your first dog is the opposite of a terrible idea, and here's proof:

Taken a couple weeks ago. A happy doggy.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

squidtarts posted:

I grew up with Rotties and ridgebacks and my first dog was actually Kimba followed by Dakota. Dakota is now 12, allegedly and I'm grateful for every second. You will learn so much about yourself as well as this other creature and I learned that love can fix a lot of things. I don't regret a single second and we had a tough first few months. Go in with your eyes open and your heart ready.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

Thanks for the reassurance, I decided to go for it and she came home today!

Jade immediately started destroying a toy after giving the place a once over. :dance:

I live on the third floor in a very woodsy area with floor to ceiling windows, I think she's gonna love it.

I can't believe how soft those akita ears are.

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

squidtarts posted:

Thanks for the reassurance, I decided to go for it and she came home today!

Jade immediately started destroying a toy after giving the place a once over. :dance:

I live on the third floor in a very woodsy area with floor to ceiling windows, I think she's gonna love it.

I can't believe how soft those akita ears are.

YAAAAAY!!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Good doge.

But yeah, foster homes are great since they will really know the dog before placing them in your home, so they can tell you a lot more about them than if they were just at the shelter.

Love them fuzzy keet ears. :3

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

Day 10 of rain in the DC area and we've got one soggy doggy.

We took her to the vet today expecting to have some tiny mammary tumors removed (she wasn't spayed until a few weeks ago, sucks that her former owner wasn't aware of that risk) but x-rays showed a mass near her lungs that they've referred her to an oncologist to check out. Fingers crossed that it's something easily treatable and we'll have plenty of years left.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Soggy keets :kimchi:

Hoping for a good outcome.

And just 'cause I want to show off, ToastFaceKillah stabbed a sheeb in me again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby_Wokkerfella
Apr 16, 2007

i am a black female myself and i am not good of can't sporting another black person who doesn't look black,like other brothas and sistas
This is Banjo, our lil Basenji X Chihuahua (or as we like to say, a Basenchi). He weighs 6kgs (so like, 12lbs?) and kinda looks like a miniature dingo.

His temperament is a great mix of Basenji distance/aloofness and Chi compainioning/lapdoggin. He's absolutely fearless when it comes to dealing with alrger breeds, and is never happier than when he's tearing around a dog beach/park with 3-5 dogs running after him.

We rescued him about 6 months ago, and couldn't be prouder dog parents!

• Locked thread