Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponyfields
Nov 2, 2011

Cat Plant posted:

Now, I have a theory that the undercoat works like Toxo and parasitically infects your brain and turns you into the crazy husky lady.

This is true of all double coated Prim breeds. I now own two Shikoku ken and am thinking of adding a third once the current pupster finishes maturing.

Introducing Hiroki, aka Yuuna's hump toy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

Ponyfields posted:

This is true of all double coated Prim breeds. I now own two Shikoku ken and am thinking of adding a third once the current pupster finishes maturing.

Oh good, I'm not the only one. Hiroki is gorgeous.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Ponyfields posted:

What breeder did you go to? I'm strongly considering one for my next dog to keep this jerk company:

Psychobabble! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 3, 2016

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

What breed is he anyway? So fluffy!!

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Xun posted:

What breed is he anyway? So fluffy!!

We're not entirely sure, but the rescue had him labeled as a husky(the shelter before that as a malamute). He doesn't act like a husky at all, though, and is content just to sleep all day. Super chill dog. He looks and acts a lot more Mal but is like... Half the size. He's even smaller than most normally looking huskies but full grown. The fluff is deceptive; he's only 33 lbs(admittedly skinny but it's a work in progress). So some kind of mix of some sort. Cute fluffums mix imo. Here's a pic of him next to (allegedly) a tamaskan and a border collie to give a size comparison.

People try to guess his breed all the time and they've ranged from pom/husky to golden/husky, to BC/Husky and a bunch of other things. Bc/husky could almost seem possible if he wasnt so loving chill. :iiam:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
He definitely looks more like a malamute than a husky. His face is wide, he's stout, and he's got gorgeous brown malamutey eyes. How old is he? He looks primitive even though he's small, maybe he's something like mal/pom, even though that would be weird. Maybe he's just an extremely small malamute?

A picture of Goliath being happy outdoors. Being an Old Dog is starting to show a little bit but apart from skin tags and bumples and occasional sore hips, he continues to be a very good dog.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Koivunen posted:

He definitely looks more like a malamute than a husky. His face is wide, he's stout, and he's got gorgeous brown malamutey eyes. How old is he? He looks primitive even though he's small, maybe he's something like mal/pom, even though that would be weird. Maybe he's just an extremely small malamute?

A picture of Goliath being happy outdoors. Being an Old Dog is starting to show a little bit but apart from skin tags and bumples and occasional sore hips, he continues to be a very good dog.

Yeah that's how I feel about his appearance. Even his woos are more Mal like than husky's. We jokingly call him our little mini-mal. Someday I'll spring for one of those wisdom panel dna kits even if you have to take them with a grain of salt.

Goliath :kimchi:

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I have a Chow/Shiba (?) mix that WILL NOT GET OUT OF THE WAY. She expects you to walk around, and even bumping her will only make her move as much as you physically made her.

Edit: I guess I can't post without a pic. Here's her without any legs. No wonder she doesn't move.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 8, 2016

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

Psychobabble! posted:

What breeder did you go to? I'm strongly considering one for my next dog to keep this jerk company:

I work with malamute rescue, he looks so malamute. He could just be very very small, I've seen malamutes that are smaller than my two huskies (< 20kg or 40lb). Super cute regardless.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

So how often do you guys think it's actually true when someone claims their dog is actually ~half wolf~ or coyote or something?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Xun posted:

So how often do you guys think it's actually true when someone claims their dog is actually ~half wolf~ or coyote or something?

My in laws have a husky that they rescued that they thought might be part coyote (I never bought it), not due to appearance, but certain behaviors, gait, etc. occasionally they'd be asked by strangers if he was part coyote or wolf, and it went from "we don't know" to "he might be part coyote?" to "we're not sure, but he's definitely got something wild in him."

I think they just wanted it to be true. They paid for a genetic test recently and he came back 100% purebred husky.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Xun posted:

Not likely. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAQbF-jVepQ&t=1596s

Basically, dogs are not wolves and the reason you can raise dogs as companions are 100% based on nature. You cannot nurture/socialize a wolf into being a dog. If you keep watching the link after the dog/wolf raising experiment, there is a section on attempting to domesticate foxes in Russia where they talk about how much breeding impacts what happens.

Since it's pretty much purely genetics, I guess it's possible that wolf-dog offspring could be tame depending on how the genetics shake out. If any don't have the right genetics though, they will not behave like dogs.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
We just got our engagement pictures done with Goliath. I can't wait to see how they turn out!! He was a very good boy the whole time and dug several holes while he was waiting.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Xun posted:

Maybe 2% and I currently live in Texas which is a hot spot for lovely ~wolf dawg~ breeders. I had someone insist that their husky must be part wolf because he had one blue eye.

My dog is pretty wolfy-looking so I get to hear every single tale of how their mother's brother's friend totally owns a 100% wolf and how amazing it is with everyone. :suicide:

Not a wolf mix or coyote overlord. :ssh: He's a Vlcak so I guess technically WAY back they're a wolf mix but there has been no new wolf blood in his lines since 1974. As a breed they are very much dogs; they're challenging but definitely nowhere near the level of actual wolf mixes. Wolves make lovely pets and I think people kinda detract from their pretty prim dog by falsely labelling it as a wolf mix.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Aww he looks like a good boy :kimchi:

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Any tips for helping along coat blow? It's been three weeks and I honestly can't believe this dog isn't completely bald yet.

Last weekend was the day they let the dogs swim in the pool. Jade hated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meTo49ixiT8

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

squidtarts posted:

Any tips for helping along coat blow? It's been three weeks and I honestly can't believe this dog isn't completely bald yet.

I only have survival tips.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

squidtarts posted:

Dude I've got just the thing.
It's a combo shedding comb, under rake comb(which is the combo generally recommended for double coated breeds):
http://m.petsmart.com/h5/hub?id=sup...36-catid-100097
Sorry about the long link but :effort:

It's a life saver for double coated breeds(hard to see from pic but the rake is at the base of the slicker). Saves sooo much time.

Thread is quiet, have a Dor in his usual state:

Everyone post more adorable shitlord prim

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent
I have a shiba pup with a pretty decent overbite, about a quarter inch at 3 months old. I don't really mind it but it seems like it causes him some trouble picking up small treats and wondering what my options are if any? Taking him to the vet on Friday but I just wanted to see if any other people with knowledge on the breed can give me feedback.

corax
Jan 21, 2002

Just took in this guy:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

corax posted:

Just took in this guy:

That's a very photogenic dog.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Xun posted:

Usually not true. Most of the ones I've seen claimed as wolf hybrids don't actually have wolfy traits but are GSD/Mal/Husky mixes. Some of those with wolfy traits (natural agouti coloration, pre-caudal gland, big feet/head, limb length, brush tail, full coat, etc.) like Nikita, have no recent wolf ancestry.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 16, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I just found out that Mexican Hairless dogs are prims. Huh.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Say hi to Shogun :3:

Our little 9/11 baby, now 10 weeks old. It's rained almost non-stop since we got him and he loving loves it

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Kovu on high alert watching for small critter movements in the treeline.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
Shogun is now five months old, and clearly playing well with others.

Seriously though, he's been great at dog parks, although he has a monstrous prey drive when the dog starts getting super small or he sees a squirrel or whatever.

And he is great at keeping watch and barking whenever someone is within sight of the house.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
He's so fuzzy :3:

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

So now I'm up to four arctics...

Kimba; 4 years old, Alpha Princess Bitch Face. Also the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet.

Dakota; 13 years old, Malamute x Rottweiler, my big bombproof baby. Keeps everyone together, loves everyone he meets, had Jedi powers to get you to give him treats/your food. Also has an iron gut, he's eaten an entire packet of Caramello Koalas, wrappers and all, not so much as a tummy ache.

Ollie; 3 years old in May, yes that's a scar from his first owners wiring his mouth shut so he couldn't bark. He makes up for it now. He is an unholy terror with the barking and the chewing of my SO's very expensive electronics, but he's also extremely good with puppies, and a real lover boy. Kimba's other half, I got him for her and they're one soul in two bodies.

Gamble; 4 years old. I was meant to transport her for a rescue from a vet where she has just been desexed to our kennels but she came home with me, because she was slow to wake up from the anaesthetic and she never left. Everyone who meets her falls head over heels for her amazing nature but she is the naughtiest motherfucker in the pack. One of the reasons why I didn't want to home her out was her escape artist tendencies combined with SA. Over the weekend she climbed the gate in the living room (only dog who can because it's a solid gate at the top of the set of stairs and ate numerous things that gave her terrible diarrhoea. She had a few regrets.

Bonus: I have a 4 month old husky puppy in daycare with me 3-4 days a week. Ollie thinks he is the best toy I've ever gotten him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHNo1ivNvyE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AM04dhQG98

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

^^^ wiring his mouth shut wtf?

Shogun!!! :kimchi:

Sorry I've been super absent. I uh...have an Akita now. :v:

She's a Japanese Akita, so a bit smaller than the AA's. Born on 7/3/16 (so she's 8.5 months old right now) and I got to meet her when she was but a wee grubby potato. :3: So now I have 2 sheebs and a keet. She's from Kaiju Akitas, so I named her call name after the Jaeger from Pacific Rim - Coyote Tango.

TANGOSPAM

Parents:
King Ghidora and Godzuki

Tiny grub

(purple collar)

Bby

Sheebs NOT impressed nthx

These ears tho

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
:neckbeard:

I love her coat, what a pretty dog :3:

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
Oh my god, so leggy and those ears! :swoon:

It's been almost a year since we got our old lady akita and we're thinking of getting a young akita or shibe to keep her company.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I too have a part-primitive dog. Here's Bogey, a basenji-corgi mix:

He both barks and makes Wookie noises, and would absolutely eat himself to death if he were ever left with an open bag of food.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
he is so cute omg

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

paisleyfox posted:

^^^ wiring his mouth shut wtf?

Yep. Bad juju.

TANGO <3

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Ponyfields posted:

I wish I could get a second husky or other prim breed, but sadly Kiya is fairly dog aggressive. Especially towards other huskies. No idea why they set her off so much.

I only know of two dogs she actively likes and plays with. They're both male pit bulls. She came from a rescue after previous owners had to give up due to moving. They had another dog she grew up with. Guessing it was a pit bull based on her love for them.

Nobody will believe me when I say she is 8
Everyone assumes she is a puppy because she tops out at ~38lbs. Guess people are used to the super huge huskies or just confusing malamutes and huskies.

She's kinda a whore. Will spread her legs for anybody.

Also super interested in my skink. Has tried to take a nibble a couple times. Only reptile that she cares about. Probably because it is big enough for her to notice it actually exists. Also Buttercup totally bit her nose when he was an angry youngster.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Apr 24, 2017

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Back when I used to take my husky/chow to the dog park. She mostly liked to play with pitt buills. She also would stare down other huskies from across the park. Then they would run the entire length of the park together banging their shoulders into each other the whole way.

I stopped taking her though mostly because she would play to rough with other dogs there.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

^^^ Sounds like you made the right choice Hdip, and I applaud you for it. Too many owners are willing to overlook their dogs bad behaviors at the dog park as "they're just playing :downs:".

Cless Alvein posted:

I wish I could get a second husky or other prim breed, but sadly Kiya is fairly dog aggressive. Especially towards other huskies. No idea why they set her off so much.

I only know of two dogs she actively likes and plays with. They're both male pit bulls. She came from a rescue after previous owners had to give up due to moving. They had another dog she grew up with. Guessing it was a pit bull based on her love for them.

Nobody will believe me when I say she is 8
Everyone assumes she is a puppy because she tops out at ~38lbs. Guess people are used to the super huge huskies or just confusing malamutes and huskies.

She's kinda a whore. Will spread her legs for anybody.

Also super interested in my skink. Has tried to take a nibble a couple times. Only reptile that she cares about. Probably because it is big enough for her to notice it actually exists. Also Buttercup totally bit her nose when he was an angry youngster.

Dorian is the same way, with people thinking he's still a puppy, when he is as far as the vets can tell, 4 years old and about 32 lbs. Here's him next to his standard poodle friend for comparison:

Not the best pic, but it's hard to get comparison pics of him sometimes.

Here's some more pics, him with his daycare buddy, the Malamute Brenna:

Brenna, Stella(the Norwegian Elkhound! Never met one before), and him:

and a bonus one of Brenna, who was my favorite work dog:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Dorian is SO cute and tiny!

Goliath has been showing his age lately. He's developed a lot of new skin tags and bumples in the last year, and he's obviously stiff now, especially when standing up and going up stairs. He also had two seizure-like episodes about a month ago where he whined and whimpered and it seemed like he couldn't move, and he was incontinent of pee and poo. It was extremely scary, we got him into the vet that day, and they told us to monitor him. If he has more than one seizure a month they will start anti-seizure meds, but he hasn't had any episodes since. They're worried about a brain tumor, but he's estimated to be about 12 or 13 years old so there's nothing we would do for it besides medication. My poor boy. :(

There was also a scary night where we went on a walk with a younger dog that we were sitting, and he was pretty tired when we got home, but at the end of the night he couldn't even stand up without his legs giving out. He was better the next day but I felt awful. No more hiking through the woods any more, we're just going to stick to level paths.

Mr. Man on one of our recent walks with some very muddy paws. Overall he's in good spirits and the same old sweet man he's always been.

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Noooo Goliath has to live forever :saddowns:. I've been following your adoption and updates from the start. Hang in their big guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corax
Jan 21, 2002

Porter has been here a little over 6 months now; settling right in.

Before he realized I was holding a treat:

Realization sets in:

• Locked thread