Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I wonder if Lapponian Herders qualify as a primitive breed? They've been shown to carry a mitochondrial marker suggesting a recent hybridization with wolves, they are classified as spitzes as far as I know and the tails of some individuals are definitely curly enough. A sample tail:

Edit: RizieN, I think the current consensus based on DNA evidence is that all dogs originate from a population of wolves domesticated tens of thousands of years ago somewhere in what is now China, if I recall the location correctly. The variable phenotypes of dog breeds as we know them now are a product of centuries of selective breeding. Neoteny is linked to why we've ended up with dogs that don't look like wolves at all.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Also, tail curling *technically* has nothing to do with whether or not a dog is primitive! Wolves themselves don't even have any curl to their tail, it's definitely a dog trait as opposed to a wolfy one.
Yeah, this seems to be true. Though a lot of the primitive breeds tend to have a curly tail. Do you know why this is (I don't)?

There was discussion earlier about spitz type dogs being assholes when playing. I need to get some video of my duo going at it, because they tend to attract comments like "Are you really sure they're just playing?" :ohdear: In the meantime I'll just post some pics.

They think this is a good way to initiate play. Not many dogs agree.

I think my friend's lagotto felt bullied

Sequence of play: run, crash, wrestle, repeat. Play-bite if you can.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

Keeper's so small that he basically just body-checks everyone in the ankles before bunny-rabbiting away.
This is hilarious :D

"paisleyfox posted:

Also, those dogs look like they are having a BALL!
Yeah, getting another Lapponian to keep Pi company was the best decision I've made in a while. Pi loves to play, but his idea of playing really doesn't sit well with most other dogs: he'll sprint to full speed and crash into the dog he wants to play with (or just suddenly jump on him like in the first pic) and then he's completely mystified when he gets old off :downs: Now he has another idiot to play with as much as he likes, though I must say Rho is much, much better with adjusting his play to the dog he's playing with. We can even take Rho to dog parks.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

rivals posted:

As a slight derail, the nerd in me loves your dogs' names.
Thanks! The other option we considered for Rho was Tesla, so I think that says enough about the nerd in us :D Tesla was discarded when most people thought we were getting a female pup (wtf??) Then again, I recently realized naming my dogs Pi and Rho is kind of like naming them A and B, but it's not like they care.

Swedish Vallhunds rock! I saw one (I think) at an agility trial last weekend.

Rixatrix fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 9, 2010

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Kaidan is absolutely adorable!

How long does it take for your dogs to finish shedding? I think Rho shed (well more than normally) for about a week, but Pi manages to find undercoat to push out after five weeks of furminating and vacuuming.

Even when they're not getting rid of their undercoat it's ridiculous how much these guys shed. I think our apartment had a fairly hairless two months last winter when it was below -10C for weeks on end. It was awesome :3:

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

I mean, hell, people tend to get ANY Primitive Breed without knowing what they're getting in to
I've only ever had Primitive Breeds and my parents had Finnish Spitzes when I was growing up (don't know if they count as Primitive or not). The funny thing is, right now I'm itching to get a Belgian Shepherd or Border Collie, just to see if it would be different (I'm guessing it would :3: )

Also, I have a surplus of pics of Primitive Breeds doing Agility. To alleviate this, have an Agility Malamute:

and a Lapponian Herder

and a Finnish Lapphund

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

paisleyfox posted:

Because many of these dogs aren't the lovey snuggle bunny kind of dogs, but Koji (and other Shibas I know) wants to be in the same room as I am in, but never all upons me.
This is exactly what the Finnish Spitzes I grew up with were like. They may have tolerated being petted, but never ever came up to you asking for it. Still they always followed you from a distance and wanted to hang out in the same room :3:

My Lapponians now are independent compared to almost any herding breed and not as biddable. Still they'll be complete snugglebunnies every now and then.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

The Lapponians keep multiplying :ohdear:

(I'm only looking after him until he finds a permanent home. He's adorable and makes Pi and Rho act all horrified :3: )

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

The puppy's ears have arrived

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I gave all three dogs chew bones yesterday. After Pi had eaten his, this happened

The greedy bastard's also eaten a silicone muffin wrapper and countless paper ones with no consequence other than colored poo.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

I taught both Pi and Rho with luring. I just took a super tasty treat and pushed it out of their reach between their front legs toward their rib cage. The dog tries to follow the treat with his nose but can’t, and will then fold into a pretty, collected, elbows-first down :3: If they tried to back up, I just did it in a corner.

Rho is painfully difficult to get to stay down though. He’ll pop up in a fraction of a second, even though I’ve never reinforced him in a sitting or standing position if he got the click for a down.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Oh god my dogs are so aggressive :ohdear:

To be honest I had to intervene a couple of times. The snarling and growling between Pi and Rho got a tone I didn't like, I think Rho got fed up with Pi being the loud rear end in a top hat he always is. He just BARKSBARKSBARKS and body slams all other dogs. Rho's usually pretty tolerant of him, but now it seemed he was getting fed up.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

rivals posted:

She also scanned and burned his x-rays to a CD for me which is kindof cool, so that I can easily give it to new vets since I have to now mail the x-rays back to our old vet 200 miles away, so I guess if anyone wants to see them I can post them.
Yes, please post them. I'm very interested in seeing them and I can also post Rho's x-rays for comparison (what the hell, here it is anyway. Rho has no signs of dysplasia):

I'm happy you found another vet you feel better about. Hopefully Kaidan will keep on being painless and mobile for as long as possible!

Pi is going in to get his left eye fixed on Tuesday. The vet said she doesn't want to operate both eyes, because Pi's right eye has so much vision left that if something goes wrong with the surgery, he might end up with worse vision in that eye than he would've had without the operation. The recovery period worries me a bit. Pi'll have to wear the cone of shame without ANY breaks for 1-2 weeks and he needs to go without major exercise, chewing, barking (yeah right), playing etc. for a full month. This for a dog that's used to being active. It might be painful.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

a life less posted:

Do you get complimentary coma pills after the surgery? Maybe a large bat with which to knock him unconscious when he gets uppity?

No chewing, eh? How on earth are you going to entertain him? Licking? Frozen yogurt/banana kongs?

Unfortunately the vet had ran out of coma pills when I asked. I'll ask about the bat, though. But seriously, a friend of mine who went through this with her dog said that the dog just got depressed after a few days and stopped trying to do anything. It sounds horrible, but it made things a lot easier for them. I feel horrible Pi's having to go through this, I really hope it'll be worth it in the end.

Frozen Kongs have been very high on my (very short) list of ideas for Things That Will Keep Pi Busy. I was thinking of focusing on training/polishing the Comp Ob things that don't require running, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. He might get unwanted associations to those things ("This is what we do when my eye hurts/I'm wearing this stupid cone/when I don't get to do anything else"). I'm horrible with teaching tricks. Competitions give me motivation to work with my dogs, and if that's taken out of the picture, training becomes much more of a chore for me.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

rivals posted:

You can see his left (our right) joint is very shallow. They've also all said that his right is moderate at well.
Oh wow :( No need to compare pics, that's for sure. I only posted Rho's since I usually find it helpful to see what things should look like when evaluating changes, but Kaidan's left hip is obviously bad. It seems like there are some osteoarthritis related changes as well?

I hope you find physical therapy helpful for Kaidan, I agree it's an excellent idea!

Pi is starting the more intensive phase of his pre-operation meds today. We switch eye drops and they're administered four times a day instead of two, and in addition he gets an off-brand Rimadyl twice a day. I'm happy he's good with me giving him the meds, because there's going to be quite a bit of it coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Riiseli posted:

My friend was just over so we could get some puppy pics.
Excellent to find you here, welcome to SA! Please post puppy pics. I keep forgetting they're old enough to move around and act like little dogs, I have to come visit some day soon :3:

• Locked thread