Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

I swear, Samoyeds are the most under-represented breed in PI. Therefore I will post lots of fluffy pictures. :3: They are also probably the least assholeish of primitive dogs. They wuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuv you! They don't listen to a drat word you say though.

This is a young Bear:
He has since filled out and has a mane to make a lion jealous. Unfortunately, he's just tooo big for conformation.

Adult Bear and 10 week old Kodiac:
It's a puppy :3:

Bear is always next to you, under you, or by you. Kody is much more of a primitive style dog in that he's very aloof and independant. He howls very well. He especially hates when we sit around a fire and will lie off where it's not so bright. Bear is much more of a "family" dog. If your hand is not at all times petting him, he will give you the saddest drat look in the world with his head on your knee or the couch arm. They're also the talkingest dogs I've ever met. They will talk to you ALL day.

I would mute it because my teenager voice is very annoying. Samoyed puppy in snow is the most :3: thing I still think I've ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEOX8ZWXoFs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

So the Samoyeds are my dad's dogs, which means I only have limited pictures of them since I moved out. One awesome thing I forgot to mention is that he has them well trained as sled dogs, despite living in a suburb outside of San Francisco. I'm sure he's regarded as quite the eccentric by the whole neighborhood.

Since it never snows where we live, he's taught the Samoyeds (team of two males) to pull a scooter. :haw: They have a harness that attaches to a three wheeled scooter and they will run and run and run. He tries to take them out a couple times a week. I 'll try to get pictures and post them because it is really awesome to see suburban pets doing what they were bred to do. They LOVE it. Plus it's hilarious to imagine a man in a snobby suburb being pulled down the streets and bike paths by two marshmallow polar bear dogs. :3: When we go to places where it snows, they are in absolute heaven. They will pull a sled, or go skijoring every day. Of course, they don't always listen and sometimes like to run the wrong direction or sometimes get into a hopeless tangle. This is why we love them, right?

And yeah, this:

WolfensteinBag posted:

Sled dogs are bred to LOVELOVELOVE to RUNRUNRUN!
I'm not as knowledgeable about Sammys as everyone is here about breeds, so I hope someone will do a great writeup. But they are sled dogs as well as family dogs and man do I love the fluffy bastards. My boyfriend and I are trying to figure out what breeds to look into and I just can't imagine anything living up to my fluffballs.

Gonktastic fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 1, 2010

Gonktastic
Jan 18, 2007

Pretty Cool Name posted:

I would love it if some one could make a Samoyed post, I'm really interested in what those dogs are like to own and they seem to differ at bit in temperament compared to other nordic breeds and they are one of the breeds I'm interested in getting (a long with akitas or one of the Scandinavian spitz breeds such as the Jämthund or the Norwegian Elkhound).

I mean, how could you not want one of these furballs!

Also, Koji is so :3:
I posted on the front page and am not an expert, but I've read a lot about them. They really don't have that aloof attitude other primitive breeds are. I don't know if any others were bred for this, but Samoyeds were bred as companion dogs and notes about them always mention that they would watch children.

In my experience, they are very sweet and friendly. Our two males have very different temperaments though. One is the most affectionate loving friendly dog ever. He is always next to you waiting for you to rub his head. He follows my dad everywhere, loyally. The other is just as friendly, but is more removed. He is usually in the same room as you, but will lie 10 ft away. He also will go elsewhere if bored. However, they are both extremely attention loving dogs. I'm led to believe this is pretty standard.

They are very playful and always look friendly due to the "Sammy smile". Their mood pretty much always matches that happy, friendly look! Children always throw themselves at these dogs because they look like a crossbreed of a polar bear and a marshmallow.

Historically, they were used as sled dogs, reindeer herders, and family companions. They are a working breed. Expect a LOT of energy which can turn destructive if unaddressed. They will both pull you and herd you, depending on temperament or mood. However, they do make great family dogs and in my highly biased opinion are pretty much the best dogs you could ever ask for. :3:

• Locked thread