Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
perhapsimabandit
Feb 16, 2007
LOVE all the pictures - you folks have some lovely pooches!

This is purely to fuel my fantasies of having some kind of primitive some day, but I was wondering if anyone here has had experience in working with primitive breeds as well as horses? While training processes and specific techniques are obviously going to be very different (prey vs. prey drive? haha), it seems to me that general attitude/baseline philosophies are rather similar. (at least as far as my horse training techniques go)

For example, with a horse, body language plays a key role and your goal is to set yourself up as "boss" using positive reinforcement and making the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy (there is a better way to say that but it escapes me at the moment). Pushing them too much leads to them pushing back, you've gotta convince them it was their idea, boundaries = healthy friendship, etc.

Would those concepts apply to these doggies? I have not had much practical experience with dogs (lots of reading and watching though!) but would die to get my first within the next year or so. I have always loved the character and personality of huskies/malamutes/other primitives and the more I learn about 'em the more interested I get! I would, of course, settle for a herder (corgi, heeler, BC :3:) but neither are ideal first dogs per se, so I want to make sure I am well prepared.

Anyway, just wondering if my hoofed training experience might cross over in some ways. Keep up the great articles!

fake edit: wow - second post in one day. New world record for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread