Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
^^yesss it begins now

I notice this thread needs many more pictures. I will help.

These pretty assholes are not my dogs, but rather my neighbor's dogs: a grumpy Jindo, an old Akita, and a young Husky mix. The white one is the Jindo, Kaia, who pretty much ignores you unless you are 'her people' but is tolerant and pleasant if you give her a treat. She growls at strangers, has bitten a vet and can be horrible on leash, though.

Second dog is Tycho, a 9yr old Akita, and the nicest one I've ever met. Completely tolerant and gentle towards strangers, kids, cats, small dogs and other dogs. I have no clue how that happened, even though they're great dog people, because they had no hand in his socialization. He just nuzzles everything and then stands over it. :3: He's a big love.

Last is the new kid, Husky mix Taj that we helped them pick out from the rescue's litter and we've dogsat him ever since. He's a very sweet non-mouthy, non-jumpy dog for a 9 month old pup, and we love him. He hates our cats, though, and we have to separate when he visits.

More pictures of Taj because I wish I could steal him he's so beautiful ugghh:

All three are rescues they got from Oakland. Lots of young idiot college kids= primitive dogs out here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

^^ Dunno if this applies to all Pomeranians, or even all Spitz, but Keeper definitely cleans himself like a cat. He washes his paws if he gets dirty after eating and he refuses to go any further if he happens to get a burr or a foxtail caught on his leg during a walk. Just sits his rear end down like 'Well? Aren't you going to attend to this mess?"

a life less posted:

This is Viggo, and he's an Icelandic Sheepdog. He's another one of the dogs Cohen plays with at the park.

oh god SOMEDAY THIS WILL BE MINE

Icelandic Sheepdogs were one of the first breeds I latched onto when my mom gave me my big ole dog encyclopedia. I remember reading that they are particularly fond of fresh fish. :3:

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Sep 3, 2010

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

paisleyfox posted:

A lot of them do have gender aggression, though again, a lot of it has to do with the individual dog. Koji thinks he and everyone else in the world are BFFs. Jiro (my friend's Shiba) HATES with a PASSION any Boxer, Husky, or black person (he can't see very well, though all he does is bark up a storm. He does the same with a white person in a dark room.)

One awesome breeder that's here locally received 2 imported Shiba pups for show. One went to a pet home while the other was kept to be shown. Both look very nice, fantastic markings (especially for B&Ts) and even won some puppy prelims. The pet home dog has issues with several dogs (save Koji, oddly enough), including Jiro and my friend's Kelpie, who he just bit on the ear out of the blue. The show pup was injured and isolated for a while while he recovered and turned out to be the biggest mess as far as temperament goes, he can't be around ANY dog without going completely nuts.

I really do think tolerance has a lot to do with socializing and desensitizing, especially when they are still young. Koji used to flip out about little children, but shoving treats in his mouth and slow introductions has made him realize that they're not so bad (and they usually have something sticky and delicious on their hands.)

A lot of these dogs were bred to work alone or with a small pack (save sled dogs), just because a huge group of them wasn't necessarily needed. They don't necessarily have the same attitudes now that many bullies do with their intolerance around other dogs, mostly because many of these breeders have been really looking at a family-friendly temperament and have been selectively breeding such things into these dogs.

And what Wolf said is right, it's pretty funny to see the spitz automatically drift together at the park and hang out in their cool kids club.

Chiming in to say that Keeper's a racist little gently caress as well. He 'clans up' with dogs his size, like other Poms and Chihuahuas, but really only plays with them if they're female or subservient to his bossiness. Another male Pom he will likely just size up and then ignore, unless challenged. Larger dogs he has a tendency to be more nervous around, and will nip at their faces if they try to stand too close or sniff too long, which is fine. The only thing is he's now become emboldened from daycare and is now a little dragon on leash when he sees another dog of any size. He charges right up and nips away, instead of sniffing first, so we've been forced to re-school him in focus while on walks.

The smaller Spitz style of play, from what I'm seeing in youtube videos and when Keeper gets together with other Poms, is all about chasing, nipping and bluff-charges, which I think often get misread as aggression. It's really just bravado.

Still, even well-bred Poms can have a lot of dog aggression and stranger aggression issues, simply because breeders bred for full-coat aesthetics without regard for breeding down the primitive drive, resulting in a beautiful little lapdog that will happily gently caress up strangers and other dogs if you're not prepared to handle it. I personally love the drive and ferocity of the breed and don't want to see it bred out entirely, but I also think most people who buy Poms (just like most people who buy dogs) have no idea what kind of dog they're buying; they only see teddy bear cuteness.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Keeper's so small that he basically just body-checks everyone in the ankles before bunny-rabbiting away. :downs:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

paisleyfox posted:

this dog is the greatest dog

He's literally looking at you like 'What a nice day for ruining all your plans'.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

paisleyfox posted:

I do have more pictures! They're all from Dog Man, so when I get home from activities tonight, I'll be sure to scan them. :3: (The middle Keller one is from that book)

Heey I have that book! I knew I knew the name Morie Sawataishi from somewhere. It's a really great read, if anyone's interested and it's incredibly moving to hear about this man's devotion to this breed and their devotion to him. Also has some good stuff in there about Hachiko and Helen Keller, obviously.

I'm with you pfox, I like the look of the JAs more than the heavyset AAs, but hell, I wouldn't turn down either if I found a well-socialized one in rescue!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

rivals posted:

Bonus picture. He was sitting like this for a good minute or two. I think he was stuck.

Click here for the full 1028x768 image.

frog was good hat but leg will be better hat :downs:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Shebrew posted:

You could totally trick people into thinking you have some awesome, new blue-tongued breed of dog.

RARE PUREBREAD BLU TONG HUSKY PUP! $2,000 OBO (WILLING TO TRADE FOR ATV OR X BOX)

More pictures of Thor please. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Does anyone know anything about Kai Ken and/or Jindos? I just spent a lovely evening with a friend's Jindo (Kaia, pictured earlier in the thread) and finally got her to take food from me instead of just staring distrustfully at it. She also let me get in a few good ear scratches and then she sort of smashed her head into my lap for a few seconds before quickly darting away. :3:

The Akita and the Husky mix were totally un-primitive and acted like doofy Lab idiots tonight, which was hilarious.

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha Yeah, I totally wasn't thinking when I wrote that (Zeus), I think I had last week's Venture Brothers on the brain or something. :rolleyes:

"STOP ARGUING AND FIGHT!" God, I love that show.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

hahahahahahahha brick bed is awesome.

Post many more Moxie pics, please and thank you. She's beautiful and obviously loves her life. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Tendai posted:

Buddy can be the world's smallest husky-ball right in front :3:

(Also it'd probably help if all of you would post more pictures for true scientific conclusions on this matter so get on it)

I will provide secondary data collection insight :science:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Sock Weasel posted:

Early studies are showing that there may be some problems. :saddowns:

Kaiden and Buddy make effective huskywheels, Random-Shiba #1 and #2 seem to get the idea, Random-Shiba #3 and Hrafn may need some time.

"NO."

:3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Every time someone does a really good breed post I then really think I want to own the dog that was the subject of that breed post and I would be a terrible owner of a shar pei this is witchcraft :argh:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

paisleyfox posted:

Yeah, I think I'd just go seek a second opinion, just in case. Weren't there a lot of suggestions in a thread for you being in The Bay area? Maybe Foxy can suggest somewhere.

I know the East Bay pretty well, but I think Rivals is in the South Bay? PM me if you want any recs though, rivals, I'd be happy to help Kaidan out. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Bonerclese posted:

Where's the Chow Chow love?

I think you're the only one here with one. Post more pics/info!

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

^^The general consensus of PI is that pet insurance is rarely if ever worth the money you put into it. You'd probably be better off with just a nice savings account for emergencies.

Bonerclese posted:

After a few minutes of resisting, he gives in and wore the sunglasses with pride.

That's not pride. That's resignation and a desire to murder you :3:

The stairs thing sounds like he may have hip issues. Have you had the vet check him out for that? Large breed dogs with straight back legs usually end up with some kind of issue, and since he's young you can probably nip it in the bud now, or at least help him out a bit.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

SHIBA PUPPY SHIBA PUPPY SHIBA PUPPY oh god

ButWhatIf posted:

I've read through this thread with great joy and amusement. My sister has two Pomeranians, which are about as primitive as any toy breed ever could be.

Interrupting my puppy sperg to say yes, you are correct in this statement. I don't post Keeper (my Pom) in here too much since we monopolize my own thread, but Poms are by far the most primitive toy breed. Pugs and Pekes may be older and more ancient, but Poms have only recently been bred down to size and as such have the temperament of many of the breeds listed here, including Mals and Akitas. I would describe them as ranging in temperament from American Eskimo (sweet and biddable but perhaps a bit anxious about strangers) to Akita (gently caress you i don't do what you tell me :mad: ) depending on socialization/individual personality.

Klee Klais are just bullshit chi/husky/pom mixes; why not go for the real thing and get a Pom? A purebred from a show breeder is going to be about as primitive in temperament as you could ever want, and they don't top out at over 7lbs when they're well bred.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Sock Weasel posted:

HHRRRRGGGGHHH GET IT OFF

I love hat time. :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

^^ I'm with pfox. :shobon: Didn't mean for this to be so interesting since I don't have much to back it up besides personal anecdotes, but oh well!

My breeder mentioned it when I first got Keeper, and a few other breeders have mentioned it since, but I haven't seen any research done on it aside from crazy pom lady spiel about 'Northern settlers only fed their dogs fish so it is their natural diet'. My vet has made comments about how nice it appears to have made his coat (although his breath is like OCEAN OF DEATH) and said basically the same thing as my breeder; fish is good for Spitz, you're doing the right thing blahblah etc. The only thing is its quite high in fat, so you gotta watch your portions; he isn't too chubby, so that's good. I guess it makes sense to me on a very basic level, and that level is this:

fish oil = good for coats
Spitz = double-coated
fish-based food = good for Spitz coats :downs:

I haven't seen any evidence to show that all Spitz would languish on a chicken or beef based diet, but allergies are prone to the breed/type, and Keeper's allergic to both. Of course he also gets all kinds of other meaty goodies as well, but I tend to stick to fish and stuff like lamb/rabbit/venison/etc.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 30, 2011

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

wtftastic posted:

My god, what a different experience that dog is. Maisie headbutts for pets and pats at you with her paws, and seeing someone else say that their dog did that sort of surprised me. I suppose its a very Tibetan thing to do? Neither of our poms ever really did it.

Poms do it too! The first thing Keeper does when greeting anyone is bat them with his paws to get attention, and he's definitely a headbutter. I think certain Poms are more primitive than others; from what I've seen, the ones overbred for show like Keeper tend to be more Spitz/primitive in behavior whereas the ones with longer muzzles/flat coats tend to have mellowed out over the years, at least IMHO.

To keep the picture train goin, here's Taj the Husky mix pup that I posted earlier getting muddy with his sister Astra; Hopalong hosted a reunion for the litter and apparently everyone got incredibly dirty. Taj belongs to my in-law's neighbors/friends but we are his default babysitters. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Anuv- posted:

That said, he unironically mentioned that if I had a female malamute he wouldn't mind.. that. Would this be greedy on my part? How easy could I find places for the pups? I don't wanna be a jerk but man I would honestly kill for something like that. I don't even know where to find a female malamute, but yeah.

:psyduck:

Assuming you're not trolling and are seriously asking if you should intentionally produce a wolfdog, no, no you should not and hey here's this handy dandy post linked right in the god drat OP that explains exactly why not.

Jesus. Lurk more forever.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Invalid Octopus posted:

Boyfriend and I are going to check out this guy:

today :3: for his parents . We can't get a dog for ourselves right now, so we get our dose of dog from them.

Aww that's a little Pom-y thing, isn't it? Cute yes, but watch out for spontaneous fits of evil :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Man rivals, I'm glad you found that second specialist; it sounds like she's actually going to be a huge help. Kaidan needs to be healthy in order to be herded by Keeper! :3:

I bet you've already found this, but the Canine Physical Therapy Association has a state by state listing so you can find therapy swim programs, acupuncture, etc. I know the Swimming Dog in Petaluma is really well known water therapy center, and there's also Aqua Dog.

I took Keeper to The Canine Rehab Center in Walnut Creek as well as Healing Touch in San Jose for his patella issues; we did acupuncture and massage therapy there so I can vouch for the service.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

NP dude, you can repay me with many Kaidan pics to humiliate him while in recovery :3:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Totally want a B/T shiba now, thanks a lot pfox :argh:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Steve French posted:

Does anyone have any specific ideas (especially any particular to shiba behavior) to work on this?

Check out the dog training megathread. Shiba-specific advice aside, this issue is something that I've seen covered in there, and a life less is an awesome help, regardless of breed. :)

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Sock Weasel posted:

This is the only way you tame a Shiba. :black101:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Sten Freak posted:

First PI post. My GF has a mixed breed which she got in the DC area from a terrible shelter. The vet thinks it's an American Dingo Pit bull mix.
Anyone think she's part primitive?

Looks like a Shepherd/pit or a pit/catahoula mix. An 'American Dingo' is just a nice way of saying 'American Brown Mutt of No Identifiable Lineage', and 'Carolina Dogs' really only exist in research facilities at this point.

I also agree with Wolfenstein in that her 'not listening' is not the defining trait of primitive breeds/mixes. In fact, most primitive breeds are highly tuned to their 'one person' and quite obedient, especially if properly motivated. Saying they're 'independent' just means that they're inclined to need more rewards and motivation in training, not that they don't listen to you.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Heeey we go to Pt Isabel every week with Keeper! You should definitely come out, rivals, it's an awesome park.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Weekends are usually pretty packed, unfortunately, but the early morning can be a great time; not many people have to work, so not many people are up and about before 9. There's a dog cafe and grooming station, and a couple different options for paths so that you can choose to avoid problems if you need to.

I love that park; it's definitely the right size and style for avoiding serious confrontation, at least from what I've seen.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Holy loving poo poo that is a cute rear end puppy

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

There's a huge post on hybrids and why owning/buying them is a horrible idea in general linked in the OP.

Get your wife a wolf-looking GSD or Husky mutt from a shelter instead. Your wife will prefer a dog that will look pretty but still actually want to be around her and not rip her throat out.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Steadfast Spirit Dog Training has a really nice ring to it, and I like your slogan.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Keeshonds, German Spitz and Pomeranians are all variants on the same breed, and all originate from the same root stock. Poms are the smallest, but potentially the oldest in origin. Eskies are an American type, bred from the larger 30-50lb Pomeranians. I have a picture of an Eskie-type white Pom in my breed post in the Yappy thread.

I wouldn't recommend a pom or any spitz to someone who isn't already fairly social and interacting with many other people. They're tiny and easy to manage, yes, but their attitude is massive and they will be snappy, yappy and rude if not handled well. Maybe a mix or a calm older Pom from a known situation like a rescue or foster home?

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 2, 2012

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

MILLIONS OF PICTURES

That is all.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I dunno man, she's always looked like a high-content hybrid to me, which is just awesome but also :ohdear: for where you're moving.

Are you leaving her in the backyard unattended? If she escapes, yeah I'd imagine AC would euth her based on appearance if she wasn't claimed in time, so maybe consider crating or other methods of containment?

Otherwise I don't know how you'd run into a problem where your dog could be misidentified. If you're there with her you'd be able to explain her mix.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Yeah the unforseen stuff you can't prepare for. Even if my backyard was Fort Knox for dogs, there would still be something that could happen to let them escape, so I don't think I'd chance it, personally. Especially if I knew AC may euth my dog. :(

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

Oh god look at that smug loving puppy

Do it do it do it you can tell us all how totally insane the showing world is and the gossip will be fabulous do itttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

She looks like a purebred 'wooly' husky to me. Apparently it's a thing. One of our clients has one and she's something like 35lbs and looks like a white/grey version of your girl. Ever consider that possibility?

• Locked thread