Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Eggsucker posted:

edit: Here's a good video about New Guinea Singing Dogs, probably the rarest dog in the world, and more primitive than the dingo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUYn1dJsYOY

I like how they summed it up in the end: this dog should live in the wild you don't have to groom it it's wild it will eat children it's wild don't get this loving dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Don't you hate when your friends are infuriating. A few years ago, my friend and her now-fiance bought a shiba as their first dog at a pet store, despite me explaining that pet store puppies come from bybs/mills and that shibas aren't exactly the most biddable dogs. They were both broke college students then, so I have no idea how they were able to cough up probably around a grand for the dog, but they just had to have this dog because they :rolleyes:bonded with her:rolleyes: at the pet store. Well, she's in grad school and they're living on one income, and apparently they bought a GSD puppy from a "breeder" a few weeks ago. This time I'm keeping silent, and they can learn what hip dysplasia is on their own. I hate to think of what kind of hunchbacked mess this dog is going to grow into.

Oh and did I mention they live in an apartment. Who does these things. Who.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

c355n4 posted:

What happened to the shiba?

Oh, they still have her. I'm wondering if they got a male GSD, or if it's going to be a total poo poo fest at their house in a few months.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

So I posted this in the wrong thread. I am graduating from college and want to own a dog, my family has always owned Golden Retrievers, but I always had a soft spot for dogs like Huskies and Shibas. I want to pick between those two, any advice you guys could toss my way?

If you are renting, I would say go for a Shiba. They are much smaller and can usually slide in under any potential weight restrictions. They're not easy dogs, but compared to Huskies they are much more suitable for the average home, especially in terms of energy. Neither of these breeds is really going to be as biddable as you may be used to with retrievers, so be prepared to deal with an independent dog that doesn't really feel like it needs to perform for your attention.

What in particular is it that attracts you to these breeds, their temperament or their looks? I mean, there's nothing wrong with going for aesthetic considerations, you just need to be sure they are the right breed for you before bringing them home because a lot of people find them too challenging and so a lot of these dogs end up in rescues.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

Their looks combined from previous experience. My neighbor back in my hometown owned a husky and they always just kept it tied against a tree since they were poo poo people, I always went over and played with it, and It was fun. My current neighbors found a husky that lasted for about 11 years, I jogged with and kept watch over it when they were out of town and the like.

Well, rental considerations aside (Huskies have a bad rep for being destructive, which is true when they are understimulated), if you're a high activity person, such as jogging several miles a day and then doing some other activity to wear him out, a Husky could be a good fit. You'd just have to gauge that yourself. A lot of people fall into the trap of thinking "hey I'll get this dog and it'll force me to go jogging," but people don't change and so their dogs end up a lot like the one you described.

I think there are some people in PI who do bikejoring or sled-pull type stuff with their Huskies/mixes/other prims. It's super neat to watch the videos, because they're clearly loving it to be out there just run-run-run and pull-pull-pull.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

Alright thanks, I guess I can try to look around. It's a shame those Wolf like dogs aren't readily available in the US, since they looked pretty awesome from those write ups. It would figure that my dinky college down doesn't have Shiba's either.

Don't discount the possibility of driving a few hours to find the right dog, if it's possible. There are plenty of rescues that will even split the difference with you in order to get a dog to a new home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Sock Weasel posted:

The two of us are settling down in Texas (from England) and the only downside has been the heat. :gonk: It's been raining for the past two days though and is finally a nice cool 24°C / 76°F outside today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G1RIGhABck

I think he's happy about it.

The only downside is the heat? You must not have met Texas' wildlife yet.

or their gun happy residents (kidding but not really):downsgun:

• Locked thread