Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

I do have more pictures! They're all from Dog Man, so when I get home from activities tonight, I'll be sure to scan them. :3: (The middle Keller one is from that book)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

a life less posted:

Great Akita article, Pfox!

Now I really want one. Is it bad that I prefer the heavier appearance of the American Akitas?

Hahaha, not at all! In fact, last Friday I was at the dog park (where Koji is continuing to be weird and an rear end...) but there was the CUTEST AA female there who liked to play "steal the stick from the other dogs." :3: I mean, honestly I wouldn't mind having either, though right now I seem to be stuck on JAs, probably because they have a Koji look, and y'all know I friggin love my bubs.

But lookit dat snuggly bear face. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

Great post!

Paisley I have a question that you might be able to answer. How exactly did hunting work with dogs like Shibas and Akitas? Were they just expected to stay at the bear/board/what have you and bay until the hunter caught up every single time? Considering their recall isn't exactly what primitive breeds are known for I've always found it fascinating that they were used as hunting dogs.

Yep! PCN basically said it. They would basically stick around and antagonize whatever it was they were supposed to hunt until the the hunter got there. Recall isn't great, but back when some of these breeds were used for that sort of thing (Akitas and Shibas aren't anymore, being more companions today) it wasn't a big concern of them wandering off before finding their way back like it is today, what with roads and cars and whatnot (and sometimes hunters shared a bit of the kill with the dogs, which would keep them there, thank you.)

Some of the breeds I'll get into later are still used for hunting, and recall is REALLY trained into these dogs, but many of them also wear GPS collars in case they go too far in the trail of a boar or pheasant or whatever. Recall isn't IMPOSSIBLE, per se, just very highly unlikely for these dogs.

There's some really cool videos about this guy who hunts with his Kai and Kishu, here's one of him training his 10 month old Kishu (boar in a box, dog needs to learn to bay) Go Baron, Go!

I've got some awesome hunting articles in my Japanese Breeds book that I'll totally get into. (I've just got to finish making costumes and cleaning the apartment this weekend.)

Edit:

quote:

Trivia

George Lucas drew inspiration for the vocalization of Chewbacca from a Malamute he owned, named 'Indiana' - which also inspired Dr. Henry Jones Jr's trademark nickname.

We named the DOG Indiana. We named YOU Henry Jones Jr.

Great post, Fry!

Edit x2: Ugh, I'm so sorry Wolf, I completely forgot about scanning those pictures for you. (You should totally get that book though, it's awesome. :colbert:) I'll be sure to do it within the next day or so.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Sep 29, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Captain Foxy posted:

Does anyone know anything about Kai Ken and/or Jindos? I just spent a lovely evening with a friend's Jindo (Kaia, pictured earlier in the thread) and finally got her to take food from me instead of just staring distrustfully at it. She also let me get in a few good ear scratches and then she sort of smashed her head into my lap for a few seconds before quickly darting away. :3:

Me! I swear I'll have all the Asian-spitz breeds done eventually.

But, hey, at least we only have 1 more thing to do on the 501(c)3 for our rescue before we pony up $400 to submit it!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Shiba photobomb!

:3:!!

Sooo cute, love the sesame color! How old is your dog? Koji sulks on rainy days too, he's such a babby. He also steals my Ikea mice (damnit dog, these are MY stuffed toys!) Do you have a name for the standing trick? For Koji it's "Meerkat".

Man, I look at most other Shibas and wonder why Koji has to be the dog equivalent of that skinny awkward guy in class that can't ever seem to bulk up. He has such a skinny chest, and I'm not sure if it was from his "breeder" stock or the fact he was neutered REALLY early. I mean, nothing against actual breeders in Oklahoma (and maybe it's just because we're here in Texas) but we get a LOT of funny looking dogs from OK.

But he's STARTING to tolerate snuggles.

(Also, that shirt was SO not black anymore when he finally got up... :smith:)

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 7, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Tendai posted:

Little mini shiba dogsled team. :neckbeard:

:stare: I know my life's goal, now. Tendai. We will race one day.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

"Pull you around? Haha, what kind of dog do you think I am?"
- Every shiba ever.

:p

Not unless I somehow train a rabbit to stay 2 steps ahead of my team! :j:

might have to find a way to equip a sled with airbags, though...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Sock Weasel posted:

Early studies are showing that there may be some problems. :saddowns:

Kaiden and Buddy make effective huskywheels, Random-Shiba #1 and #2 seem to get the idea, Random-Shiba #3 and Hrafn may need some time.

Omg. You just made my morning better, thanks for this. :3:

I can't decide if Koji would be the stubborn one or the retard going after the rabbit! (probably latter)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

quote:

Huskyball!

I think I did this wrong... :j:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha He looks SO stiff!

Right? But he'll STAY THAT WAY for long periods of time, like he'll stretch and get stuck. Sometimes, dog, I don't know. :rolleyes:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:neckbeard: I LOVE mals, they're so big and fluffy! A friend in the rescue has one (just turned 9!) and she likes to woowoo whenever the Shibas run by her in their chase. Looking forward to more photospams of Sitka.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Aww, what a cutie!

I do know that a lot of primitive dogs tend to be allergic to chicken. Koji is, as well as turkey, but duck seems to be okay, as well as raw so far as we can tell (some dogs are allergic to both cooked and raw.)

You said she doesn't really like the fish? Have you tried a red meat diet? I think Orijen makes a Regional Red (or is that Evo? I can't remember) or you might just try seeing if she'll tough it out with just the fish flavor. Koji likes lamb diets, but seems to love fish the best, so that's what we have him on, probably because it stinks. Though YMMV with the red meat diet, since I've also heard sometimes prims don't do well with whatever dye or something they put into the red meat diet foods. Again, this is all speculation as I've only heard through the grapevine and my dog loves fish.

Also, when did the itching start up again? Was it with a recent food or weather change? With the mouth scratching, I'm prone to think it's definitely a food rather than an environmental allergy (it's what Koji does.)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

(Psst, Orijen is grain free.)

Is it like, a definite discomfort scratching and something more than usual? Dogs do itch and I mean, who knows, maybe you just have an itchy dog? I dunno, I've kind of exhausted my knowledge of food allergies. I do have a friend who has a dog with big grain and environmental allergies. He went to a carefully measured raw diet and has done really well on that, but the hay fever still acts up and he'll chew his paws. He does get an allergy shot once a month to help with that, though, and he's been fantastic since starting on it last year.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

Don't want your dogteam anyway. (no room for malamutes. :))

Anyone tried tether training for a primitive breed? We're trying it out right now and its been ... interesting.

Hahaha, I'm guessing alligator rolls, screaming, leash chewing and giving you THE LOOK, right? Koji also likes to try to dig to China when tethered sometimes, though it's only ever on hard surfaces, like concrete or tile. He eventually gives up and passes out for lack of something better to do, though.

ETA:

Hey, auri, I just thought of something this morning. My dog and my friends' dogs get a salmon oil with their meals (one pump at one meal since they're smaller dogs) and we've found that it really does help out with the allergies. I know your dog doesn't really like fish, but maybe the fish oil would help? My friend has noticed when she forgets to give salmon oil to her allergy dog, he gets a little more itchy the next day.

I mean, nothing to lose, really, and it'll make your dog's coat even softer (as well as officially having said to help soothe itching). :3: We use the Grizzly Salmon Oil brand since it doesn't have the Ethoxyquin preservative. We just keep it in the fridge and Koji gets a squirt on his food in the morning.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 22, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yeah, it's just so funny. They can be fine until they realize a bit of freedom was taken away (can't go wherever they want even if they weren't going anywhere before) and they FLIP OUT. Because what if I want to go there LATER? Bunch of drama queens, if you ask me.

But regardless of the carrying on, continue to try to make it a positive experience with treats for coming when called to get tethered up, treats after being tethered and only let off when calm/relaxed. But I swear, everything is so tragic to them. :laugh:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:neckbeard: Yay Buddy! (I totally voted for him)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Vino posted:

poo poo my dad gave him a grape. Is one grape something to worry about? The internet says it can cause permanent damage.

One grape shouldn't kill your dog, no. But I'd be very careful and not feed any more grapes or raisins to your dog. My dog LOVES grapes and I only remembered how bad they were halfway through him chowing down on one. :ohdear: Since then I've had to keep a good eye on him since he'll eat almost any fruit I have. Luckily for him, he can have as much watermelon and blueberries as I want to give him.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Haha oh my are those wisps and chunks of fur I see gathered over there in the background?

Tumbleweeds. Fur tumbleweeds. We only get those in our dining room and bathroom (you know, places where the carpet can't hide it.)

Koji is only growing fluff on his butt so far, but it's only JUST now getting below 70.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Citizen Rat posted:

Have any of you tried to teach a husky/malamute 'fetch'? We've been trying and it's been working with mixed results. She chases the ball and comes back when I call her, but she doesn't bring the ball back with her and I'm not sure how to teach her. I'm also kinda at a loss on how to teach her 'wait'.

Heh, Koji SORT of fetches if he still wants to play. I would say maybe try to offer an exchange? Ball for a treat and see if that works with her wanting to get it and bring it back for nummies?

For wait, what are you doing? Is it like your version of stay? It wasn't terribly hard to teach Koji "wait", but it took some time for him to do it reliably (he now will sit and look at me and wait for his cue.)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

CrisisCarolina posted:

We had a hard time teaching our shiba to fetch, he SORT of does it. We can throw the item, he'll chase it down and bring it back...but then you have to wrestle it away from him. Very rarely does he drop it for you, he makes you work for that poo poo. I think he only really learned the concept of bringing it back because he saw our toddler doing it and realized 'oh hey that's what they want me to do!'

Hahaha, yeah, that's how Koji plays. And he goes OUT OF HIS WAY to swing by as close to you as possible so you can catch the toy in his mouth to wrestle and tug before we make him give it and sit for another throw. He gets bored after a handful of this, though.

WolfensteinBag posted:

What is it you're actually using "wait" for? It affects how you teach it. Is it to teach self control like waiting for a treat or at a corner for a walk, or is it in place of "stay"?

Our wait is used for self-control, I believe. I don't really know how I could make the "stay" kind effective (or know much of a difference?) I can say wait to Koji for him to stop on a walk to untangle his leash, he has to wait away from the door for it to open, wait away for food, and it's come in very handy when trying to get him to NOT MOVE DAMNIT for pictures. He HAAAAATES it but does it since I mean business with that one. I might abuse my power for my amusement at times. :rolleyes: My favorite part is when he thinks it's time to be released from it before I say so, I give the "AH AH! Wait!" and he'll just look at me, sigh, and sit back down. My dog has such an attitude.

paisleyfox fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Nov 7, 2010

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Heee Buddy. :3: Koji doesn't watch me during the waits on walks (something we've been working on) but he does stop and glance at me like "whyyyyy?!" before waiting to hear me say we can go again. I wish I had time to take a video, but I'm going out of town as soon as I get off of work. I'll get one of him waiting for doors and such when I get back, though. I'm so proud of him, especially when we get fosters in who know NOTHING and I forget just how much Koji really knows.

But speaking of SHIBAS (sorry the post is so late :ohdear:) but Dogs101 finally aired the Shiba segment. I think I should know a few people or dogs that are in the video maybe, since they approached one of my friends in California and their meetup group. I think they did a pretty good job for the time allotted, though I wish they mentioned knees since I feel like that's a more rampant problem than hips (hips, knees, eyes and allergies are the biggest health issues.) I don't feel like the rage from some of the other rabid Shiba owners was called for since they didn't mention every quirk of the breed, but I thought it was a decent summary. I also WISH Koji was that behaved for a nail trim.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/dogs-101-season-3/

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

On the other hand I guess it's good they say it so the stupids who just want a super-cute puppy don't go get one and dump it on the streets when it wont listen. :(

This is it exactly. Koji is my first dog EVER. I didn't even have dogs growing up (I was literally scared shitless of dogs growing up.) But I volunteered, I did research, I talked to rescuers and breeders and owners, I messed around with my husband's Eskie etc. It just takes some familiarization. There are some people who I have no problem recommending breeders and tips and whatnot to, and there are others that I try to do everything I can to talk them out of it, since I know we'll just see that dog later in our rescue. And then they still get the dog and then dump the dog because their puppy is just "so aggressive!" with their unsupervised toddler or "it won't listen/doesn't love me enough!" So then we find it in the shelter or on Craigslist.

One of my favorites was some lady who got one because they were cute and she left him outside only with her chickens. Then got surprised when the 1 year old puppy was terrorizing and (probably) killing her chickens. Not sure what she thought a Shiba would do... :rolleyes:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

RizieN posted:

I've been trying, slowly and in vain, to teach Cosmo how to 'Lay' for lack of a better word, Down would be better. Admittedly i haven't actually looked for any good techniques, but I'd like to hear yours.

We lured Koji into a lie down with his kibbles by having him in a sit then taking it further and further out of his reach down in a diagonal motion (some people have said drag it across the floor, but Koji would just walk after it, we found diagonal kept his interest best). If he started walking we'd stop, making him sit, then try again. I have to admit, sometimes if it got too far he'd sometimes out-stubborn us and just sit back up because he wasn't going to lie down, damnit! I've heard techniques of going under legs and pushing on their back with your elbow or whatever, but we just did the lure and treat. He caught on real loving fast when we included the cue and we reinforced it by making him do it every time we gave him a treat. Now we run through 3 or 4 commands to keep him refreshed before he gets treats.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

RizieN posted:

That shiba plant is awesome, can I get some seeds?

From what I hear, they're actually more like dandelion puffs:

They will travel long and far and imbed themselves in the least convenient places. So if you think an area is a pain in the rear end, you can find the seeds there. :haw:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Yay! Great job, Wheats! Thanks again! :3: Added to the main page.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

auri posted:

She also cleans the house. Socks, dryer sheets, pieces of paper that are on the floor, she picks them up and brings them to me. If I'm not home she piles them up in the kitchen by the garbage can.

This is the most :3: thing I have ever friggin heard. My rear end in a top hat just destroys dryer sheets, paper and socks and leaves them all over the floor for me to pick up.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Egad! posted:

I have no clue who drew this, but I saw it and it reminded me of this thread:

:haw: Yeah, that's totally a favorite of mine. No clue who drew it either, and several people I know have pointed me to that picture. But LORD if I haven't seen that face on a few of our fosters and friends dogs before... (or*cough*myowndogwhenheisbeingapansyassaboutwetthings...*cough*)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

FlashGordonRamsay posted:

Since there is Sammy talk in this thread, I figure I will ask here.

First of all, I grew up with Samoyeds. I'm familiar with their temperament, exercise needs, and shedding. They really are the only kind of dog I want. I've checked out the Samoyed rescue sites, but with small children in the house I'm hesitant to bring a dog with an unknown history in.

What's the best way to find a reputable, ethical breeder? I live in the Virginia Beach, VA area if that helps.

Someone can probably point you to specific breeders, but I have a question for you first. Why are you hesitant to have a rescue? Are you under the impression that adult dogs with an unknown history (or at least unknown to you) aren't bonded to their owners or will somehow "turn" on their owners they weren't raised with? I'd like to first off dispel that myth. Rescue dogs make wonderful pets and there are even many young dogs found in rescue. My own dog was from my rescue and while it isn't common (we do get many shelter pulls, but we sometimes know where they were from or the situation), the rescue knows who surrendered him and I suppose if I wanted I could ask them questions should I ever need, though I haven't had one the year and a half I've had my dog. He's still just as smart, just as rear end in a top hat-ish, just as hilarious and just as loving as if I had him as a puppy, only I didn't have to deal with having a puppy, which is pretty awesome. My breed rescue (and any rescue with a foster system worth anything) will evaluate each dog around different situations including other dogs, cats, children, car rides, vet visits, leash manners, food/toy aggression, etc. and will make sure they are neutered and UTD on all shots and microchipped before going to their new home for a trial run before adoption.

That being said, I do realize there is an appeal of having a puppy (and I am looking forward to mine when we get a house, because I like not having nice things, apparently.) Do your research in the breed. What are common health issues with the dogs? I'm guessing hips are probably a big concern, off the top of my head, but anything else? How does the breeder combat against common ailments? Make sure whatever breeder you choose tests with OFA, CERF/PENNHIP, can provide and explain results and what else they do to prove their dogs, be it show ring champions or other activity trials. You want them to be able to tell you why they chose that particular pairing to create that litter (they should have benefits from the dog and the bitch they wanted passed onto the pups) and shouldn't have lots of litters a year. You don't want the breeder that just had puppies because they happened to have two Sammies and/or wanted their dog to experience a litter just once before she was spayed (because all bitches want to be mommies, right? :downs:) and/or needed their children to "experience the miracle of birth." Run far away from these people.

There is a great PDF outlining a lot of this right here: link!

A list of rescues around the nation: click!

Here's a start to responsible breeders in VA: whoop

The acutal Sammy people can probably help direct you a little more, but this is at least a start. Please feel free to ask more questions should you need any more help.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Wally P posted:

What a great shar-pei post! So informative. I hope I get to meet one someday.

Hm.. so I have got a couple questions about Kodi.

Like Sophie, he doesn't really play. I took Kodi to meet my dad when he was out on the east coast for an alumni thing at his graduate school. Surprisingly, Kodi LOVES my dad. He's really iffy about strangers, but walked right up to my dad and sat down for pets. We suspect that in addition to being a good guy, my dad's scent is all over my apartment from when he and my mom helped me move in. But still, I was pleasant surprised. Anyhow, my mom sent with my dad a whole mess of rawhide bones and some toys, none of which hold his attention for more than a couple minutes. He'd much rather play with things that are alive. (He dashes after all of the neighborhood cats if he's within distance and I don't notice them before he does. Also, he caught a possum when he was unleashed in the courtyard of my building and I wasn't looking. I swear he was going to take it home to be his pet if I hadn't made him drop it.)

Unlike Sophie, he doesn't pick up around the house -- just sorts of lies around like a cat. It's kind of adorable, but I'm concerned that he doesn't have enough enrichment. Ideas? I need to make some doggie buddies for him. Anybody in the DC area?

He's also very wary of new things/environments. Not fearful, just very alert and sticks close to me in these situations, which is why walking him when he first arrived was very easy. Now that he's familiar with the neighborhood, he's much more outgoing, doing his sniffy thing, etc, but I realize I need to train him to heel. Thought I'd get him a head collar. Any suggestions on whether I should get a halti or a gentle leader (or other) brand?

Oh, and here are some pics.

This was taken by a house guest staying the night for the Jon Stewart rally. Kodi was not pleased by the flash but did pretty well with strangers in the house.

This is from the trip to visit my dad. We got lunch with outdoor seating and Kodi hunkered down under the table to hide from the foot traffic.

Is Kodi your foster? Sorry, I don't really remember the details on him and looking back through the thread is :effort:. How long have you had him around for? General rule of thumb is that Akitas and Shibas (which I'm most familiar with) take about a month to really settle into the routine and about 3-5 months to really open up and for you and the dog to really get each other's quirks. When we first brought Koji home, he thought sleeping under tables was the best drat thing in the world. Now he won't go under tables for beans and prefers to instead wedge his head in the small gap under the chair by his bed when he sleeps.

How does Kodi normally react around other dogs? Does he care at all? Sometimes they really don't and they could take or leave new dogs. Obviously you want to keep new dogs a positive experience for him, but if he doesn't care about playing with them, that's alright. Koji also took a while to really play with toys, but my friend's dog, Dug, isn't ever interested in toys (unless he thinks he can steal one from another dog for some chase, though it ends quickly.) What you can do instead of play is train him to do some tricks, or if he seems really calm, see if he'd go for some CGC training, the might like that more than toys or playing. Also, see if something like a flirt pole (basically like a doggie string on pole cat toy) would interest him at all, since he likes hunting and catching prey.

I also need more brindle bear pictures. For uh...for science.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Hey, checkout meetup.com to see if there are any general doggy meetup groups, or even breed specific ones if you're interested. That's where we have our Shiba meetup group, though we, and all the other Shiba-centered meetups I know of, totally allow "honorary Shibas" to our meetups. It's just an excuse to get together with a bunch of rear end in a top hat dogs and do fun stuff like hikes, dog park runs and lunch dates at dog-friendly places.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Wally P posted:

:3: This is the look my dog gives me right before I grab his face and kiss the top of his nose. The curled up not looking look.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Invalid Octopus posted:

OMGWAT. :psyduck: You apparently own a mountain goat in wolf's clothing.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

^^^^ SO dapper! :3:

----

Very interesting article from a few years back from a mailing list group. Thought I'd share this with y'all. (still working on articles, I promise.)

quote:

What makes a Primitive Breed?

quote:

Hi,
To answer this question is that the dog world is divided into two
groups and there is a big difference in history on how they came about. The
first group are the breeds that everyone is familiar with today and is what
is commonly seen and known in the dog show world. These however are breeds
that man has created (just over 300-different diverse dog breeds). However
these are man-made breeds, originally created years ago to do
specific work or jobs and are only about 200-years old in existence.

The second group are old aboriginal dogs or indigenous dogs whose history
go back to the early beginnings. These dogs evolved and adapted both
geographically to their homes and have always been there. In many cases
these dogs migrated with the early ancient people who make up this world
today. They are as diverse as their people yet many share a proto-type
physical appearance (prick eared, semi curved tail). These are not man-made
breeds, but dogs who are "thousands" of years old. Nobody made them...
mother nature molded and created them.

Aboriginal dogs and early man go way back and have always been there.
They were used as hunting aids and still are in many remote places of the
world. Transportation (sled dogs) in the northern regions such as Greenland
and the Artic included entire human population survival dependence upon
their dogs! Did you know that when the snow mobile was invented and the
modern world was introduced, the Canadian Inuit Dog who has been there for
thousands of years in the north almost perished into extinction? Numbers
dropped from about 20,000 dogs to only 200 in the 1970's!

Many of these incredible ancient dogs (who are the founders of every single
breed ever created here) are disappearing worldwide at an rapid rate by
outside influences and hybridization by the modern 200-year old man-made
breeds. Only a few of these old breeds today are recognized today in
the modern dog world but it doesn't even begin to make up for those who
still exist out there today and have no familiar names. In many cases they
are called mongrels, pariahs or feral wild dogs by our world. Many are seen
scavenging off remote villages. But if you are in the middle of Borneo or
remote areas of Africa or India, I can assure that you these are probably
not mongrels. They are very uniformed in looks and are native dogs.

What makes these dogs so special is that aboriginal dog lack many of the
domestic qualities we see in man-made breeds. They are not exactly motivated
to serve man or the most obedient at times because they think independently
(just like us) and need a good reason to pay attention to a human command.
This is not a fault at all, or a lack of intelligence, but shear brilliance
and a built-in instinct for survival. They are not Shepherds, Labs or
Spaniels who were selectively bred and created to work for man. They did not
evolve the same way. These dogs survived on their own over the millenniums,
sometimes with man as companions and sometimes not.

Whether you like it or not the Shiba Inu falls into this category. They too
are a very old indigenous dogs. So are Basenjis, Jindos, Pharaoh Hounds,
Canaan Dogs, Xoloitzcuintli, Shikoku, Azawak, Saluki, Iceland Dog, Greenland
Dog and the Karelian Bear Dog just to name just a few. The only two "real"
primitive breeds left on this planet today are the Australian Dingo and the
New Guinea Singing Dog because they are considered the oldest dogs left
alive on this planet and date back 6,000 to 7,000 years (possibly much
older) due to remote geographical isolation.

[...]

I think for those looking for a dog they should do their homework first to
see if this is a dog you can live with. If you are looking for an obedient,
easy keeping dog, then the aboriginal dog is probably not the best pick.
There are plenty of man-made breeds to fill this niche. For those who enjoy
the challenge of staying two steps ahead and love living with an independent
spirit, there is no life like it. Keeping in mind that living with this
kind of dog is like living with a young child, who needs much supervision,
love, patience and positive training. Most have incredible prey drives, can
never be let off leash loose and can sometimes be dog aggressive. They are
very different dogs.

Just something to read since I've been a bad OP. :(

Also, here's Koji being adorable as hell after ripping my very nice sheets. DOG.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

cuntvalet posted:

ESKIE!

Heeee, Eskie! I love love love them ever since my husband's Eskie Hawk. :3: He was a standard, so a bit bigger, but I just can't get over their happy face and fluffy coat.

rivals posted:

Vet stuff

Yeah, I think I'd just go seek a second opinion, just in case. Weren't there a lot of suggestions in a thread for you being in The Bay area? Maybe Foxy can suggest somewhere.

Also, I still need pictures, sir. :colbert:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Bonerclese posted:

They quickly became huge fluff balls. Wong is in the middle.

I need to mush all of these puppy faces. :3: Oh my god, Chows are just too adorable.

In puppy-related news, my rescue might be picking up 8 Shiba or Jindo mixes next week. They're around 4-6 weeks old judging by the picture (found in woods, mom died from a car hit.) Oh my god where will we put them all? :stare:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

rivals posted:

Yeah Klee Kais have really no purpose at all that I'm aware of and they are just ~*~*OMG MINI HUSKIES*~*~. When I was talking to one of my old coworkers about my dogs one of them came up and said "OMG Is he a mini Husky!?!? I WANT ONE SO BADLY TO CARRY AROUND IN MY PURSE OMG THEY ARE SO CUTE". :fuckoff:

Oddly enough, that's why people want Shibas sometimes. Espeically the B&T or creamie ones. Because they think they will totes be cool and small and love them forever. :j:

And then we get people like this one lady in Houston who adopted a Shiba, later found out it was a Shiba she adopted, flipped her poo poo, then called everywhere saying she couldn't have it and then took it back to the shelter after contacting us and other rescues about them. All in the same day. :stare:

Also, no puppies. :( They found them a few other rescues to step up as well, so our services weren't needed. Maybe next time!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

OMG so many of those pictures of Ike look like Giant Husky Koji. My husband laughed and kept saying "Hey, Koji! You got so big!"

In other words, that dog makes amazing faces and lies in the best positions. :D

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Steve French posted:

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop here... at some point something has to go wrong, right?

Heh heh, just wait until she starts teething. And that point in a few months where she decides you guys suck and she regresses a little in training of all sorts. Also, beware of PES, so keep posting pictures of her on a semi-frequent basis.

Don't worry, it happens to every Shiba puppy owner. They love to test you like that. :3: But it'll get better if you don't change the game plan.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Kerfuffle posted:

Stop it Steve! I do not want a puppy OR a shiba, no I do not no no no. :(

:3: But Koji was adorable as a puppy, too (I just didn't have to deal with him then.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Pretty Cool Name posted:

Friends with Akitas must be the best kind of friends. :3:

Thisssss. :3:

aurasuvi, I'm so friggin jealous right now. :saddowns:

• Locked thread