Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Yuna and Natsu! :kimchi:

Uuuugh, I already want another puppy. Don't tell the hubs. :ninja:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

7 weeks is fine. Some breeders want them to stay longer, like 12-13 weeks, some stick strictly to 8, and fudging around 7 is also ok. Our rescue started adopting our our mix pups at 7 ish weeks because we knew individual attention at their new homes would be more beneficial than three working adults all on different schedules with 4 of their own grown dogs to take care of trying to get them what they needed social and training wise that last dumb week. I also didn't live at my friend's house, so I was commuting 20-30 min to help her take care of them a few times a day, too.

Take the pup to the vet with lots of cheese and awesomeness soon after you get home just as a "here is my new puppy, vet is awesome" visit and work on those nails and handling every day. Find a good local puppy class that you can enroll them in right away with other puppies around her age, even before all of her shots are done. My facility was awesome and let me start right away and didn't pressure me or Ellie to interact if she was uncomfortable. Ellie hung back the first few classes and just watched the other puppies and handlers and paid attention to me. By the end of the course, she ruled that place with a swift iron fist.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Kiri koli posted:

Find a hotel that allows dogs. Seriously mil can't just change her mind like that and expect you to traumatize your dog (not that this is a given but kennels should be scoped out first as a lot do suck). Ask if you can leave Sitka in a crate for a few hours at a time in the hotel, some will let you.

This. La Quintas have the policy that it's ok, I know for sure. Crate not required if they don't make a mess.

If you are anywhere near Dallas, Sitka would be more than welcome with my beasties. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Moist makes Koji melt. Ellie doesn't give two shits, though I have yet to convince her it's ok to swim. She plays in rain and shoves her head in downspouts, but swimming is scary.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Woolie Wool posted:

Because she's beautiful. :3:

I hope more people start trying to breed the nastier characteristics out of spitzes while preserving their other attributes. "Because it's better for bossing sheep around" is not really an excuse for having reactive, belligerent tendencies in a dog you know is going to be bought as either a pet or a show animal, and nothing else.

Except prims generally don't boss sheep around, they go to EAT the sheep. They were hunting dogs, remember (also cargo dogs...), hence the high prey drive. Badasses that went after bears and boar and birds and poo poo.

As far as Shibas go, they need the three qualities in order to stay true to the original breed according to Japanese and American standards: Kan-i = Brave and Bold (read: rear end in a top hat) Ryosei = good natured (lol but really it means it should bond to a person) Soboku = Purdy and refined.

So the dogs need to be bold, pretty, and "good natured" which basically means be able to put up with poo poo from people. While my dogs may not want love and attention and snuggles, they follow me around the house or yard to just make sure I'm near and to keep tabs on me. They don't do that with guests so much after the initial HI I LOVE YOU WHAT DO YOU HAVE FOR ME NOW if they even get that excited. What's nice to see is that the Shiba from like, 50 years ago still looks like the Shiba today (well, from good breeders, anyway...) I don't want Shibas to lose their snottiness, but the really aggressive cases generally don't come from good lines (when they do, generally the breeder suggests they be culled...)

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Japanese Spitz! :3:

I always wondered what the difference between Eskies and JSpitzes were, is it just size? I think Eskies tend to be bigger?

Hmm, I should dig out some old halloween pictures...

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

SRS EYEBROWS

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Rawress posted:

My shiba doesn't understand clothing or harnesses. He just stands there and stares at you in confusion, kind of like when you put a post-it note on a cat.

He has super cute urajiro, like a bowtie, almost. Red sesames are so purty.

Beautiful coat!! How old? :kimchi:

May I ask where you got him?

Zenith, give Elsa to me. :colbert:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Rawress posted:

He's 5 months, just starting to get his adult teeth!

I got him from a breeder in Wakefield-- Cheri Sullo. Super nice and knowledgable woman who she really loves what she does. My housing situation was unexpectedly upended when he was ~10 weeks old, and she was more than happy to help me look after him until I found a new place to live.

Zenithbliss your pup is so fluffyyyy *_*

Oh man, great choice of breeder!

I love the Jack o Lantern look puppies get when they lose their teeth. :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

dragon_pamcake posted:

Actually if anyone has a brush they recommend for the double coat, I'd like to hear it.

I mostly rely on these:

Zoom Groom

This is great for baths and getting fur off furniture! Also nice on dogs with sensitive skin issues.

Undercoat Comb/Rake

This is one I use the most next to a greyhound comb

Greyhound Comb

The most versatile tool you could have. Just a straight up comb. This has honestly worked the BEST for me for both shorter and longer double coats.

Flea Comb

I use this bad boy on areas with really short fur, mostly around the legs and ears, only if needed. To try and get down far enough in my dogs' plush coats with one of these just doesn't work, it's too thick. The greyhound comb works just as well for pulling out ticks and fleas should I have any to take out with a comb.

Coat Hook

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I backed the kickstarter and I'm kind of excited to mess with it. :3 It's a comb with a bunch of tiny hooks at the end to snag undercoat. They also put in a feature with even tinier hooks on the back to help depill sweaters! Because why not.

I don't use slicker brushes or the Furminator anymore. Koji hates the feeling of the slicker and I just use the Zoom Groom for finishing up now these days anyway. I swore by the Furminator until I noticed it was cutting too much off the coat and not actually pulling out undercoat, just slicing top and undercoat. When I stopped using it and switched exclusively to combing, I noticed Koji's lovely coat started coming in fuller (it's still lovely just not as lovely. lovely breeding, though.) I gave them away before I got Ellie so I've never used anything other than the above on her.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Good doge.

But yeah, foster homes are great since they will really know the dog before placing them in your home, so they can tell you a lot more about them than if they were just at the shelter.

Love them fuzzy keet ears. :3

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Soggy keets :kimchi:

Hoping for a good outcome.

And just 'cause I want to show off, ToastFaceKillah stabbed a sheeb in me again.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

^^^ wiring his mouth shut wtf?

Shogun!!! :kimchi:

Sorry I've been super absent. I uh...have an Akita now. :v:

She's a Japanese Akita, so a bit smaller than the AA's. Born on 7/3/16 (so she's 8.5 months old right now) and I got to meet her when she was but a wee grubby potato. :3: So now I have 2 sheebs and a keet. She's from Kaiju Akitas, so I named her call name after the Jaeger from Pacific Rim - Coyote Tango.

TANGOSPAM

Parents:
King Ghidora and Godzuki

Tiny grub

(purple collar)

Bby

Sheebs NOT impressed nthx

These ears tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

LATE REPLIES BECAUSE gently caress

Solus posted:

This thread makes me want a Shiba Inu and I'm scared I'll horrifyingly gently caress it up

Eeeh -- honestly if you start with a great breeder and good lines, or you go to a good rescue and find an adult with a personality that's compatible, it should all work out fine. :)

Warbadger posted:

Nikita passed away today at 8 years old. It was very sudden, we came home and she was breathing heavily. Turned out she was leaking air from her lungs. My wife and I were with her until the end.

She was a very good dog and neither of us can believe she is gone.

Oh poo poo. I am so so sorry, WB. :( Nikita was one of my all time favorite PI doggos. I'm glad you and the wife could be with her, probably made it easier for everyone as horrible and difficult as it was.

• Locked thread