Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
After much deliberation we have decided when we get a dog in 2012 (after we move) it will be a Shiba. :) Aside from reading books, is there anything I can do now to get ready for having a dog later.
Also what can I expect to pay if I go through a breeder?
Someone posted this in the new puppy thread.
http://www.ustream.tv/sfshiba Shiba cam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

paisleyfox posted:

Ooh, awesome! Where bouts do you live? The breeders I admire most generally have dogs around $12-1300, but there's a great breeder here in Dallas (the only one with the National Shiba Club recognition in Texas, though there are some others here that are also great with showing/testing) Last I checked a few years ago, she let them go for about 800, but good luck trying to contact her. She's not tech savvy at all and is bad at getting back to you (though it seems to be better if you're local.)

The books are pretty good, like the Barron's or the Comprehensive Owner's Guide, I'd definitely see if there's a used bookstore (like Halfprice Books) that carries them. I love my copy of Japanese Dogs by Chiba, but being out of print it is harder to find. I lucked out with a $20 used library copy. There are also a few blogs I read with Shiba owners if you are interested. Gives a pretty good "into the life" view.

Also, if you decide you don't want a puppy, the rescues I listed on the Shiba write up are all great, and I think there are like, two or three others I didn't list but since I don't work with them or know much about them, I just left them out.

I love watching those little potatoes, by the way. :3: I tried contacting the breeder a few years ago, asking what health testing they do, if they're CGC etc. since I was interested (their dogs grow up gorgeous and I know they do showing), and they just freaked out I somehow found them (it wasn't hard when they posted in a group I was in...) and never answered my questions. They also went "CGC is not a health testing, it's a behavior thing" almost insinuating I didn't know what I was talking about and I'm somehow dumb. I explained I knew full well what it was and was interested in knowing if their dogs ever got it. Nothing. :sigh: oh well.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm an hour from Denver, there's a breeder in the Springs that I found on the Shiba Inu directory page. I'll probably end up going the rescue route. :) That's weird about that breeder, I wonder what they're scared of?
I'll look into those books!

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
So how well would a Shiba do in an apartment setting? I know they're pretty small but I worry about the Shiba scream. :ohdear:
And how non-affectionate are we talking here? I don't mind cat-like behavior but I at least want to feel appreciated.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

paisleyfox posted:

^^^ :3: I want to poke dat lip.

Shibas are awesome apartment dogs. There's a reason why they're the most popular and most registered breed in space at a premium Japan every year. ;) I just moved into a larger apartment, but we lived in a 700 sqft place up until about a month ago with Koji plus whatever fosters wandered our way.

You'll only hear the scream if something is extremely unpleasant (bath/nail trims...) or sometimes some Shibas will scream or yodel when they're really excited or happy. Koji makes a lot of stupid noise sometimes, but even my neighbors didn't know I had a dog until I walked him (could have been we just had thick walls, but even so.)

And the affection depends on the dog, really. Koji likes to be near me, in fact he just followed me into the office from his cozy spot on the bed because he wants to be in the same room, but snuggles and cuddles are omgembarassingstop! Some Shibas like snuggling, but I've noticed it's more of a sticking by you, always observing, lean on you for pets instead of "OH GOD LOVE ME, DO YOU LOVE ME? BECAUSE I WAS HIDING UNDER THE PORCH BECAUSE I LOVE YOU" :qq:

If you are looking for a dog to lavish you with attention and love, chances are Shibas aren't for you. I did just have a foster that LOVED people, but even he would calm down and cuddle off by himself for some me time. I mean, they really are like cats in that they love you, but try to act like they can live without you.

:) Thanks PFox. I think my husband would really like the cat like behavior as the best dog breed to him is a cat. They are incredibly gorgeous dogs.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
How do Shibas do with cats, considering they're a primitive breed? Do they have a high prey drive?

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Why are Shibas so pretty? :(
I'm pretty sure my cats can handle themselves, but I'd hate to put undue stress on them if I don't have to. I'll still be watching the shelters for Shibas but they won't be the only breed I'm watching for. Thanks for the advice guys and give your pretty dogs a hug for me. :)

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I'm in Colorado, thank you very much Pfox. :)
Koji :3:

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

paisleyfox posted:

Awesome! Shiba Scout Rescue is also in CO!

http://www.shibascoutrescue.com/

Also, sometimes Shiba Rescue of TX (me :3:) and Saving Shibas in CA will adopt out of state when we can arrange proper transport.
:) Thank you very much, I'll check them out.
I'm already in love with Aki. :3:

Dancingthroughlife fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Oct 22, 2011

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
Is it normal for breeders to be bad about emailing? I emailed the breeders from
http://www.setsuzanshibas.com/index.html two weeks ago and they haven't gotten back to me. Should I call them? I want to know how much money I need to save :ohdear:
And how do they look by PI standards?

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
That's awesome, I'll try to call them tomorrow! :)

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
I love when dogs have little doggie eyebrows. :3: Ranja!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes
What a beautiful dog!

• Locked thread