Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

It's called Västgötaspets in Swedish, "spets" being the Swedish word for "spitz." So as far as name goes it fits in. :p

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Give https://www.imgur.com a try.

Your dog looks awesome. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Akitas are awesome, and when my situation is right in a few years I'll look into getting one. Can't wait for an Akita post. :D

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Your images appear to be broken.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I would love it if some one could make a Samoyed post, I'm really interested in what those dogs are like to own and they seem to differ at bit in temperament compared to other nordic breeds and they are one of the breeds I'm interested in getting (a long with akitas or one of the Scandinavian spitz breeds such as the Jämthund or the Norwegian Elkhound).

I mean, how could you not want one of these furballs!

Also, Koji is so :3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Gonktastic posted:

I posted on the front page and am not an expert, but I've read a lot about them. They really don't have that aloof attitude other primitive breeds are. I don't know if any others were bred for this, but Samoyeds were bred as companion dogs and notes about them always mention that they would watch children.

In my experience, they are very sweet and friendly. Our two males have very different temperaments though. One is the most affectionate loving friendly dog ever. He is always next to you waiting for you to rub his head. He follows my dad everywhere, loyally. The other is just as friendly, but is more removed. He is usually in the same room as you, but will lie 10 ft away. He also will go elsewhere if bored. However, they are both extremely attention loving dogs. I'm led to believe this is pretty standard.

They are very playful and always look friendly due to the "Sammy smile". Their mood pretty much always matches that happy, friendly look! Children always throw themselves at these dogs because they look like a crossbreed of a polar bear and a marshmallow.

Historically, they were used as sled dogs, reindeer herders, and family companions. They are a working breed. Expect a LOT of energy which can turn destructive if unaddressed. They will both pull you and herd you, depending on temperament or mood. However, they do make great family dogs and in my highly biased opinion are pretty much the best dogs you could ever ask for. :3:

oh, I must have glossed over those posts, sorry. But thanks for this and those posts. They really seem like great dogs.

Paisley, great post on Akitas! I've been waiting for it and it didn't let me down. :)

WolfensteinBag: I could probably whip something up in a few days. But I'd prefer if some one who actually had some real life experience with them would do it, but on the other hand I'd love to contribute to this awesome thread. Time to start digging for info I guess. Also, prepare for some horrible grammar as English is not my first language. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

From what I've read you pretty much nailed it. They'll keep the prey in place while barking for the lazy rear end hunter to get there.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Shiba photobomb!

It was raining like crazy all day today so I took some time to play with the camera I got in the beginning of the summer.

Or maybe it's a worm?

Click here for the full 1024x452 image.

Nope, dog for sure.

Click here for the full 1024x683 image.

Does humiliating things for pay (:argh: focus)

:glomp:

"gently caress toys, it's raining and I'm sad."

Click here for the full 683x1024 image.

Pretty Cool Name fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Oct 7, 2010

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

She's a month or so past 2. And yeah, dark clothing and shibas with light coloring don't go well together. :D

fakeedit: I forgot, the name for the standing up trick is... "up". Yay for lack of imagination. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Based on the looks of his house (Falu red with white corners) I'd say Sweden. It's a color scheme very typical for Sweden.

Also, Jubbie: Your monster is gorgeous. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

paisleyfox posted:

:stare: I know my life's goal, now. Tendai. We will race one day.

"Pull you around? Haha, what kind of dog do you think I am?"
- Every shiba ever.

:p

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Sock Weasel posted:

Early studies are showing that there may be some problems. :saddowns:

Kaiden and Buddy make effective huskywheels, Random-Shiba #1 and #2 seem to get the idea, Random-Shiba #3 and Hrafn may need some time.

This is now my desktop wallpaper. Awesome! :3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Is all I can say really.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Want to pet that dog :3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Elsa is shedding at the moment. Waking up with a mouth full of shiba fluff sucks, she wasn't even on the bed!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Ooooooh! I love watching Dogs 101! And they seem to have Samoyeds and some other primitive breeds as well! :3::3:

I still think it's sad how much the emphasize that you can't have a Shiba Inu as a first time dog owner. It's not true and they are just looking at the issue backwards. Anyone who is or is going to be a responsible dog owner can have a Shiba or similar dog, be it their first or 13th dog. They just need to make sure they know exactly what they're getting themselves into. But this is true for any dog breed. They will take some more effort to train than other breeds, this is true. But saying they are not suitable for first time dog owners is just wrong. :(

On the other hand I guess it's good they say it so the stupids who just want a super-cute puppy don't go get one and dump it on the streets when it wont listen. :(

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Hey, they were only bred to hunt small game. What could possibly go wrong?

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

We Swedes listen to no one! ;)

A video would be awesome, I don't see enough of "Swedish" dogs, so to speak. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Did the baiting as well, worked just fine for us. Both with treats and balls. If we're out playing fetch she'll lay down if you wait a few seconds.

"Please PCN, I'm being a good dog, throw the ball, look I'm sitting, I'm such a good dog, throw the ball please, look I'm laying down now, throw the ball, please throw the ball."

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

In Sweden we don't breed shibas quite like you do in other countries. We plant shiba seeds in the summer and about this time of year the sprouts break through the snow and they are ready for harvest. Toy included!

Also, SNOW!! Elsa loves snow, deep snow, that you have to jump to get through. Combine it with the murdering of toys and she's one happy gal.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Our shiba basically taught herself to pee outside pretty quickly, sure there were accidents every now and then but as long as she got walked she did good. She doesn't even like to pee or crap in the yard... then came the heel biting :D

Saw this as a related video to the clip of Ike in the snow and it's pretty much the best thing I've seen all day. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvjJE9VUKIE

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Tendai posted:

Oh my god they're even cuter as puppies.

They sure are!

I think these are from the first week or so we had her home. Still wearing the collar from the breeder. :)

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Click here for the full 1200x1600 image.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Friends with Akitas must be the best kind of friends. :3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Sock Weasel posted:

Herp derp!

Congrats on surviving the first year!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Elsa just drops stinky farts from time to time. She's a shiba with OK breath as far as I'm concerned.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Philip J Fry posted:

:3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Want to pet those akitas :3:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Shiba post! Yeeesssssssss! Very well written. :)

Will post Shiba pics tomorrow in honor of this great post!

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Last weeks Elsa death toll: 2 Voles.

Naturally she got cranky when she wasn't allowed to eat them. And she will not be off leash in the woods anymore.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Our shiba has no shame when it comes to food either. I think it's mostly due to her being spoiled though. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Dancingthroughlife posted:

:) Thanks PFox. I think my husband would really like the cat like behavior as the best dog breed to him is a cat. They are incredibly gorgeous dogs.

Shibas differ from cats in one area though, never snuggle ever. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Our shiba is much like pfox's, never tried to kill our cat but never left him alone either. Constantly wanted to play with the old as hell cat that didn't want to be bothered. Elsa didn't like stairs back then so at least the cat had a safe haven on the upper floor and in the basement.

Sometimes they got along though, after enough paws to the face I guess.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

A husky and a mal? Living the dream! :allears:

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

I see more Samoyed than Akita. Looks very Samoyed even, but the fur doesn't seem.. Fluffy enough. Maybe it will come with time.

She's cute as hell though, congratulations. :)

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Socialize, socialize, socialize and be very careful with the kid and you should be fine, really.

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4-ndybbKfk

Just a short video of Elsa being Elsa... "Want to play? gently caress you!"

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Is this a Shiba thing?

Elsa does it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Cool Name
Jan 8, 2010

wat

Bash Ironfist posted:

I couldn't resist petting them ears every time I walked by. :3:

Shiba ears are magically soft. Greatest things ever.

• Locked thread