Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
sorry. ignore this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.

Captain Log posted:

Pugs are very close to the Pekingese in the great dog tree of ancestry.

Here is a bonus picture of a 19th century Pekingese or "Chinese Happa Dog." It is so incredibly downsy. Wanna meet that dog!

That is the single most terrifying thing I have ever seen EVER. Eek.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Oh dear, this dog is ridiculous and I wish I had not seen him. I should not even be on petfinder. I can't have another dog!

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/17577611

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Moxie was in extreme danger of exploding. Hopefully this will help.

She has learned to use the laptop! (I got up for a second and she stole my spot. Dog loves her some pillows)

She got adopted as the slightly unofficial mascot of The Wildlife Society here so I made her a bandanna for the meeting

This is her "play dead" trick. She was being wiggly though.

Sometimes she will cuddle faces

Finally found a few stuffed toys she loves. She cuddles them too. Actually she cuddles everything.

She is a happy dog

Her favorite place is outside

Especially if we are at the dog park

Nose!

My best guess is some kind of shiba-y husky mix. She's 42 lbs and comes up to my knee...which is a very accurate measurement of height, I know.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Yep. With training and this:

....we bricked up the bottom of her crate. It completely defeats the purpose of having a nice foldable crate, and if I ever want to rearrange my room it will have to be without moving the crate. However, it prevents her from eating the plastic liner and therefore getting to the far-apart wires at the bottom. So yeah. Fun stuff.

She really is getting better though. And I put blankets and stuff in there for her so that she does not have to lay on bricks. This really was the only thing we could think to do to keep her from destroying this crate as well though.

edit: you can see in the pics actually where her nose was all scratched up from destroying her first crate. In the Nose! pic there is the remnant of her scab, and the fur on her snout there is white. In the more recent pics (laptop, bandanna dog) you can see the little black splotch extending up her snout from her nose. The fur grew back black! It is so strange!

Cassiope fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 13, 2010

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha The brick crate is such a fantastic idea! I can't believe how perfectly those bricks fit in there, too. Clever thinking, good job!!

Also, Moxie is SO freakin' cute. :3:

Thanks! All the best ideas are born of desperation, no? We had to actually go out in my yard and find differently sized bricks to get the very last one in. The new ones we bought weren't weathered down enough to fit in the last row. We ended up hammering the last brick in. Like I said, no longer even remotely portable now.

Also Moxie thinks she's rather cute too.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.

Rixatrix posted:

awwwww he's gonna get that moss! Look out moss!!

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Moxie is shaming her primitive breed ancestry. She learned to fetch last night, and spent lunchtime running around the house chasing her kong and bringing it to me in return for kibble. Sometimes she gets huffy and walks around pretending she can't see it though, as if to remind me she is a husky and does not have to listen to me.

(I'm so thrilled she is fetching. It just makes my day)

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
For those of you talking about food dispensing toys I'm gonna go ahead and say I love the Kong Wobbler. Moxie had to be taught how to use it, but with a few short clicker sessions she now loves it and it's fun to watch her eat dinner. It takes her maybe 1/2 an hour to get her entire dinner out of it if we put the Wobbler on the carpet. On the kitchen floor it does not take as long because the Wobbler will spin all over.

Here she is playing with it. The rawhide/bully stick necklace is because she would not eat it so I was like "FINE then you have to wear it because I bought it and you are not allowed to ignore it now"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgRI8Q3J6n4

Also here she is at the dog park today. We were supposed to have Snowmageddon today so the first day of college classes were canceled. It was pretty icy and drippy wet outside is all :(
So though I have no snow-moxie pictures I do have Moxie all alone at the dog park because few other owners ventured out pictures.

Before:

After:

The difference may not be obvious to most of you, but Moxie is so prissy and never gets wet or muddy if she can help it. There was one other dog there though who made best friends with mox immediately and they played HARD for an hour or more. He kept bowling her over into the mud and I have never seen her so filthy. :3:

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Yeah our kitchen is itsy bitsy, as you can tell from the video. That's the entire thing. She likes pushing the wobbler around in circles there though, but it works fine on carpet too. In fact, because we've got downstairs neighbors we usually put it on the carpet anyway.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.

Vino posted:

I tried dead stops for a while and it worked for about five seconds after I started moving, and then he'd be off running again in one direction or another. They're also tough for me because usually my walk with the dog is actually a run. I still use them though if the pulling gets really bad, if only to give him a chance to calm down.

This was my problem too. It was very frustrating for both me and Moxie. The first time I tried dead stops I gave up pretty quickly. However after another month or two of walks with her pulling and me trying other things I went back to square one with the dead stops.

It seriously took fifteen minutes to walk up to the corner and back because she would pull the second we started moving again. But I would stop every.single.drat.time. We'd go about a step and a half in between stops.

But you know what? She finally got it. She doesn't return to a sit and focus or anything, but it's been a week or so of consistently stopping and she really has improved. We still stop a lot on walks but now we can actually have a walk where neither of us is frustrated and where she actually gets a bit of exercise. I can see her pause for a step or two when the leash gets tight.

Maybe dead stops are worth another go. The challenge is having the patience for it until the dog understands that yes, every single time they pull they end up stopped.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
That is the worst thing ever. Gonna go cuddle Moxie and tell her she can be anything she wants to be when she grows up, except a sled dog.

Those poor dogs :(
I hate those people so much.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
We went to the dogpark with my aunt who has an awesome camera so it's Moxie photodump time!

Did you say dogpark?

Please let's go now

Moxie why are you so oddly shaped?

Full retard mode on. This picture makes me laugh every time.

RUN AND PLAY AND RUN

Also Moxie is a doof

She's a bit large for it, but I'm fairly certain she is a shiba mix. Here she is by me for size comparison. She's about 37 pounds.

And she gets along well with our cat. She will try to play but except for a 1-2 week period where she would play too rough she is reliable about playing gently and not scaring the cat too much. She has also gotten much better at cuddling in the year we've had her. Now she will cuddle with me at night and she lays under my legs on the couch (another reason she is in no way 100% shiba)

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.

paisleyfox posted:

Oh wow, I thought Moxie was bigger than that. She's "Shiba enough" that our rescue would have totally picked her up if she needed it. ;) I can't tell what else, but Mox sure is a pretty girl.

I feel like she's bigger than that too, but then we get around other dogs and she is in the smaller range and not quite as large as most of the labby and pitty mixes that frequent my dog park. Once there was a full shiba though and we went into the small dog area to let them play. He was like half her size and it was adorable. She really is like a stretched out shiba. I'm not sure what gave her the size and gangly legs.

When people ask what she is I just say "sheltermutt" or "probably part husky" if they are insistent. I don't want anyone going out and buying a shiba puppy from some sketch breeder just because they thought Moxie was pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Except for cats.
Aw Polly looks sweet :)
That's awesome you were able to rescue her and deal with her issues. It would be worthwhile though to check out the training thread. A lot of the terms associated with dominance theory are actually outdated and there are some great training tips Polly might benefit from.

• Locked thread