Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

I will finally quit lurking and atually contribute here, thanks thread. :colbert:

My parents adopted an odd mishmash of husky, malamute, and I believe German shepherd from a rescue a couple of years back. Her seperation anxiety and toy aggression was through the roof when they first brought her home but she really has come a long way since then. (NILF is amazing.)

She tries to act all dignified, but I'll be damned if being brushed outside in the snow is not THE best thing ever. Personally I don't think I could ever give up the bad attitude and sheer volumes of fluff when it comes to dogs now, what would be the fun in that?

Would Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs / Saarloos Wolfhounds be welcome in this thread? :ohdear: Although they have wolf content they aren't an ancient breed at all. They are pretty assholeish though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Yay, good stuff. Looking forward to it! In that case then I will just leave this charming picture of my loathsome beast wonderful puppy right here.

Basically he's an 8 month old Vlack / Czechoslovakian Wolfdog who I will definitely give you guys a write up of once I'm not half asleep :3:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

rivals posted:

He looks awesome, out of curiosity what kennel is he from?

He's from the first litter of 'Wolf Lore' in the UK, sire being bred by Crying Wolf (Fergus, d11036 in the database) and dam by Wolfzone (Takima, d9712.) Finding good CsW lines in the UK which haven't been crossbred is somewhat of a needle in a haystack.

His name is Hrafn :)

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Tell me about it - I thought I would never find a decent breeder over here! I'd almost given up all hope as European breeders (rightly so) are so wary of selling to the UK. Seeing the breed being ruined so soon over here with all the crossbreeding/moneymakers really makes my blood boil.

Fergus is a stunning dog with such a lovely temperament. So aloof and really doesn't give a drat what's going on around him haha, even with Hrafn and his littermates pestering the hell out of him. :3: I'm not too sure what's going on with the FCI status on Takima's mothers side though, that's a new database feature, I'll definitely be looking into that! I do lurk the forums there a lot but barely ever bother to post because UK residents are all automatically heathens you know. :(

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 13, 2010

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Hrafn. ("raffen") Male Czechoslovakian Wolfdog, born January 28th 2010.

He went from starting out life as a wormling:

A litter of nine! All have grown up healthy and mum did so well with her first litter.

To a floppy-eared fuzzbutt when his ears grew too big for his face

Looking so much like his dad :neckbeard:

He also became fluent in Seal-Face somewhere along the line

Currently he's looking like so:

I need to get some new ones as they are about a month old already. Still growing into those ears...

a life less posted:

How would you describe Hrafn's temperament? What's your exercise schedule like? Do you have any plans to work/compete with him?

Temperament I would describe as... challenging. Persistent. As with most dogs in this thread, if you want him to do something you need to give him a good reason why. If he thinks there is nothing of value to be gained? Good luck getting him to listen. However with that said he is a dream if you're making him work for something he wants - positive reinforcement all the way! The NILF method is working really well for him! We're finally at a stage where when we set his food bowl down and tell him to wait, he'll lay there looking up at you with a wagging tail until you say he can go. :3: They aren't very vocal - I can count the amount of times I've heard him bark on one hand - so will mostly utter ridiculous mewling sounds and huffs/growls/whines when playing.

He's extremely friendly with my partner and I, loves to cuddle, goes completely insane with love rush whenever we visit his breeder (it is adorable that he remembers his 'dad' so well). With strangers he can be a little aloof/wary until he's had a good sniff, after which he's usually more than happy to be fussed. We do Viking re-enactment so we've worked hard with him to ensure he's good with meeting new people for when we are at shows with the public. If we're at a multi-period show which has loud cannons or gunfire from the WWII lot? Not fussed at all! They get bored very easily and love company, which is one of the many reasons we'll be adding a rescue mutt from the local shelter to our family in January/February ;)

Exercise is every day, twice a day preferably. If you don't take him out you would have the joys of a very bored, energy-filled pup on your hands. Half hour to forty-minute walks each time at the moment as I don't want to be pushing him too hard while he's growing, but we take him out on occasional long trips with his father/mother and sister (who are all local) every couple of weeks or so. My parents live out by the Yorkshire moors and I can't wait to take him out on long hikes out there.

Phew. Working wise I want to get him into agility classes once he's a bit older and see how he takes to it. His mother can fly around the course, but as he's a male - therefore has a much heavier build - he probably won't be quite as nimble, but I think it would be a good outlet for the amount of energy he has. Making him focus on me and not the crows or pigeons in the distance may be a challenge though :downs: One of the females from the litter has gone to a chap who will be training her up in Search & Rescue, sadly though he doesn't seem to have an online presence so I'm relying on small updates from the breeder to see how she's doing. Showing is something I'd really love to do with him. CsW's aren't Kennel Club registered in the UK yet due to only being here (legally) since 2008, so until they are accepted in (do I really want that? I do not know) we stick to local fun dog shows.

Didn't mean for this to be such an essay, whoops.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

When he was a pup his coat was unbelieviably soft and plush! It's getting nice and wirey now though, especially around his neck and back.

Oh gosh don't tempt me to post more pictures. I have hundreds of this drat dog. (I'm just gonna sit here and :3: over Buddy and his pretty face.)

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

I hear your pain with people claiming every kind of wolf-content with their dogs. I'm good friends with a couple who adopted a gorgeous male husky, they claim that because he has one blue eye that "means he is part wolf!" :downs: (I have not the effort required to explain wolf genetics to them without getting kicked in the face by a very proud owner) Personally I wouldn't want anything higher content than CsV's - they are hard enough to handle and I would not enjoy trying to make a pet out of a skittish, shy creature like a high-content wolfdog. Raf's breeder used to own an F4 timberwolf x CsV (oh god why) and although she was gorgeous, she was extremely shy. He works with wolves so I can kind of appreciate him being knowledgable when it comes to wolfdogs and such, but they really aren't my cup of tea to see being kept as pets. :(

WolfensteinBag posted:

Sock Weasel, thanks for posting Hrafn!! It's so funny, he totally has his mother's face. Do you by chance remember who Fergus' owner is?

He totally has his mothers bat ears at the moment. Haha no worries - reference is indeed known! I've been lurking here for a good two years or so without signing up, shame on me. ;) His owner is a Mr. Church, I *think* he goes by Tiikani on the forums? His posts there may be a bit odd sometimes but he's a lovely chap, very knowledgeable about the dogs and always willing to give the owners of his litter a helping hand. It's always exciting to see people so interested in the breed :neckbeard: If Hrafn ends up having good hip/elbow/eye scores a few years down the line we might consider having him sire a litter; there is a female his age up in Scotland who is from completely new bloodlines compared to the rest of the UK CsV's, which would be wonderful for the breed over here, but we'll see.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Oh god Cosmo is adorable :3: He really does look like a cartoon dog.

rivals posted:

If you decide to get the tests done, I think at least DM needs to be a necessity. As you can see from the thread, there's a big push in the community right now to get as many dogs tested for DM as possible. One of those threads has a great explanation of how it works to be clear, a carrier, and affected.
Ahh trust me, if we did decide to breed him it would be done extremely carefully! DM is indeed something they're big on testing at the moment - it's springing up a more in the breed than people have realised - so it would definitely be top of the list. Dwarfism would also be done for sure! Although there are barely any recorded cases of it in the breed, it is in there somewhere and it kills me seeing dogs affected with it. (I met a seven month-old German Shepherd pup with dwarfism, it didn't look any older than two months and most of his fur was falling out, he probably won't see his second birthday. :() Not something I would like to see in any breed, yet alone one just starting out like the CsV's are!

There's breeding to further a breed, and there's breeding to make sure a breed stays healthy; to the standard; and doesn't have a tiny genepool. I would be aiming for the latter ;) That's if we even breed him at all, I need to see how his adult temperament turns out like yet!

:saddowns: I tried to stack him, much bribery was needed for his cooperation and these are still the best results.

Stupid stretching-for-treat legs.

Straightened up a little:

eta: Northern Inuits, oh dear. The 'breed' is a complete mess in the UK and I wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole. My parents dog is technically an N.I. but I pretty much refuse to use the name and just refer to her cross. When they adopted her from the rescue we were non the wiser on their health issues. We managed to dig up her 'pedigree' from the people who bred her and good lord inbreeding. A supposed "metal plate in her leg from it being broken as a pup" - as we were told - turned out just to be really awful arthritis in her elbows at age 5.

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 15, 2010

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Excellent post :golfclap: It's very interesting the way Vlcaks coats work when they get wet; no horrible 'wet dog' smell, and they're dry again within minutes! (That is, if you can get them to actually go outside in the rain. Slight drizzle outside? You will have to push our CsV bum first out the back door.)

An additional interesting note about the Northern Inuits; 'Utonagans' are yet another offshoot from the N.I! They just allow a patchy coat and fluffy fur.

Oh! I got some photos back from a recent Viking show we did (reenactment yay) and found this one of Hrafn with his skyscraper legs. :)

That 'authentic' lead is no more, of course. Shakes fist.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

I would pay good money to see pictures of a shiba-sled. :3:

Autumn is here! I need to take Hrafn out to the mother-in-law's garden for some off-leash pics though. With his tiny puppy head and the amount of neck fluff he has, he looks like a loving mushroom with his collar on.

this would have been pretty if it wasn't for the funky angle, oh man

He does not ever look that regal at home.

:downs: beep beep

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Oct 14, 2010

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Early studies are showing that there may be some problems. :saddowns:

Kaiden and Buddy make effective huskywheels, Random-Shiba #1 and #2 seem to get the idea, Random-Shiba #3 and Hrafn may need some time.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

We tought Hrafn 'down' with the lure method, it just took a lot of trying. In the beginning he would either just try to smack the treat-holding hand with his paws, or kind of tumble over sideways when he followed his nose. Like a life less says however, I just needed to slow things down for him! He seems to forget everything at dinner time though. Excitement fills his little face and he starts flipping out with an ungodly combination of sit, down, and play dead, usually just by flinging himself sideways across the room. :downs:

I managed to snap a couple of decent pics of Raf without his collar this weekend. No more mushroom head! Still gotta grow into those ears though, son. :raise: (Saying that, he's 9 months old already - where has time gone?)

Also ITT: running like a mong.

Stacking went slightly better than last time with the help of some food-persuasion, but it is still pretty awful.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha Yeah, Buddy's totally the same way. They're totally too smart and impatient, it's like they go, "Well I know what you're going to ask me, why should I wait for you to ask?" This is also why (in my opinion) CsVs shouldn't be used for bitework. :argh: "Oh screw waiting, I'm just taking this guy down..." :laugh:

Hrafn's growing up so handsome. :3: Looking at his pictures, it looks like his rear legs are angled back a bit too far, but that's a really common problem with the breed and his aren't as bad as some dogs I've seen who have gone on to produce some beautifully conformationally correct puppies. If you ever breed him, you're going to have to find a bitch with really straight rear legs. :)

Hahaha yes, I can see them getting a wee bit preemptive with bitework. Search and Rescue on the other hand..!

Ahh if we do ever end up breeding him I am going to be meticulously researching the bitches and their lines. Which may well mean we don't end up breeding him at all, what with the small amount of dogs from fresh lines in this country, but I'd rather that than settle for an unstuitable bitch.

This was one of the other attempts, but if I remember rightly that was before he decided "There is a treat, I will sit for it!" hence his ridiculous collar positioning. :) I do agree with you about the angles though! He's still got a bit of filling out to do, so we shall see I suppose.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

One year old today, that makes it hat time! :toot:

:stare:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

...Holy poo poo that is depressing. :(

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

:(... In an attempt to bring some happy to this thread, Hrafn took a visit to see his mum and dad again today.

Raf and dad Fergus. Brick camo :haw:

(mum Kaya)

"How do I get down? :saddowns:"

Thankfully they get along great and all had a blast! :3: The last time they spent a proper day together (aside from walks) was way back when Raf was 15 weeks old.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

But... he's too old for EPS now, right? :ohdear:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Warbadger posted:

Nikita is half Malamute!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

And only 1/4 something else as she appears to be missing a leg! :v:

Man, I could smoosh those malamute faces all day. :3: I tried to get some pics of Hrafn with my fiance today using a feather as cooperation bribery. Things went completely as expected:

I'M A PRETTY PONY.

OH BOY COMPOST.

Sigh. These are okay though I guess.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Hahaha I love her expression there. "No. :colbert: "

(Took a look through your flickr and oh my gosh the closeup one of her in the car with that huge chill smile. :3:)

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Oh gosh :ohdear: Sending all my good thoughts for Kaiden, hopefully a second opinion turns out better!

Someone on another pet forum I frequent just got a shiba puppy. Her post opens with "She has a litter of them back in late October and at first I wasn't interested. Didn't really think the breed was for me just based on what I'd read up on :P I like my easy going collies! " We all wished her luck with the temperament.

She updated today with this

quote:

She's easily distracted LOL. Took her upstairs to work on her learning her name and she was more distracted by the tv downstairs than me and my chewy treats. Motivation is going to be a fun one :P I don't even require much, all I want is her to know her name LOL.

Took her on a walk today that was half dragging and half walking LOL. She'd come to halt if she saw something interesting and would refuse to budge (till she was ready) if I walked on. Towards the end though she was starting to realize that the being dragged vs. following along consequences wasn't weighing out in her favor :P

Defiantly not a collie-dog. However her breeder breeds for AMAZING temperaments (from what I've heard from other kennels) so I'm hoping all this hard work pans out LOL
So basically, "shibas LOL." :sigh:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I don't want to ball this genetic researcher crazy, but why would you want to combine primitive breeds + WOLF + very trainable breeds for a guide or support dog? That seems really weird.
This a million times forever. Not to mention wolf x malamute or husky is just a recipe for disaster in any circumstances.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

I'm heading up to Crufts this Sunday for the utility group wooo. I promise to bring back ridiculous amounts of akita, canaan dog, German spitz and shiba pics. :dance:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Not many pictures turned out well as my camera is crappy and old and did not like the lighting in there. Some turned out okay but... :( Also we were sat behind the handlers most of the time so the majority of pictures we got were of butts. So many butts.

They were judging the Shibas and Akitas at the same time in different rings which was rather rude. :colbert: I didn't get a glimpse of the Canaan Dogs as they were way over in another hall and oh my god the amount of people there. There is just so much going on!

Shiba army:

Assorted Akitas:

Schauzers (standard)

Japanese Spitz

Leonberger :swoon:

Staredog in plush form

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 13, 2011

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

To be honest I thought they were American Eskimo dogs until I saw the little sign above the kennel blocks. I have no idea how you'd tell them apart, probably something minor in the facial structure. :)

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

huskyjackal posted:

The title of this thread makes me giggle because in my head I think "primitive breeds" translates to cavemen-like neolithic dogs with Gary Larson styled faces and hulking shoulders so they blunder along grunting and rolling in mammoth poop.
That is pretty much a 100% accurate description of my dog.

Yay pictures. :neckbeard: I love how Koji's expressions are just varying levels of smug.

I managed to get some pics of Raf today wearing his fancyass new collar that I picked up at Crufts. He looks like a big man now. :3:

(I'm starting to doubt if he's ever going to grow into those drat ears.)

Has anyone elses dog started falling apart for the spring/summer yet? The tumbleweed season has just started at our house. :(

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Not my dog or my pictures (some dog from another forum I frequent) but I figured you guys might like them.

Apparently she couldn't care less about the bath/drying, other than it removed the delicious scent of dead duck from her fur, but that pissed off shiba face is perfect. :3:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Dogbutt came with us to the mother-in-laws for Easter lunch today so photos abound! He got a fresh lamb bone and seemed pretty drat happy with it, before he buried the thing.

ROADTRIP!

We tried that stacking thing again. (We've pretty much come to accept that it isn't going to happen.) The first is his more natural leg position, the second is him stretching his body out a wee bit. He has a wonky tail and a dip in his butt. :downs: Silly fur directions...

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 24, 2011

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

His tail is actually a parasitic twin yearning for a body of its own. I think the main issue with Raf is that he needs bribery for standing pretty, so his brain instantly goes into "OH BOY TREAT TIME. WAG WAG WAG."

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Visited my parents this weekend so Hrafn got to meet up with his bff4lyf again, their ridiculously short and stumpy husky/malamute/gsd/wtf rescue.

:haw: OH WOW let me help you with tha-
:catstare: gently caress off

Miss Stubbs there is indeed on a diet.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Oh wow, IceCuber he is a stunning dog! :)

Backpacking, wooo picture time.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Very interesting! I'm leaning more towards there being a Saarloos Wolfhound in the mix somewhere in the lines, whether intentionally or not. On the other hand GSDs carry that line so it is possible for it to pop up eventually... I guess we'll have to wait and see!

I also found out a while back why Hrafn is non-FCI. It stems from his grandmother (http://www.wolfdog.org/eng/dbase/d5920.html) not being registered - thus any dog from her lines not being registered - but to find out the reason for that I had to email the original breeder of her, the owner of Lynx von Legend. (oh boy...)

quote:

Princess d Aube is non fci because she was from the first litter in the uk, she did have kc registration until defra told the kennel club that the czech wolfdog needed a D.W.A.L (this was amended in 2008 in court case between myself and defra) The kennel club made no effort to help me in my fight with defra, so in 2008 when I did get the DWAL lifted the k.c. then contacted me and asked me to put forward all my original dogs and pups up for registration again. I refused, so any czech born in uk from her will have non fci after its name.

That is the story so far, the people on wolfdog.org banned me because i kicked up about the breeding practice of an italian kennels who bred a bitch at the age of 10 months old and had her 11th litter at 10yrs old, had 4 litters in 2 years. Nice people. I very rarely breed czech wolfdogs now, 1 litter every 2 years, i have imported 4 new bloodlines but most people x breed now so i don't let any new bloodlines out, its not worth it. I breed with people from USA and Europe now and we produce wolfdogs that are now very very wolflike in every way, thank you for your mail regards Ronnie

:can: :can:

I wonder if that means I could get Hrafn FCI registered then..? As he is from purebred CsV lines. To be honest I have no clue now the FCI goes about things like that, if at all.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Nikita :swoon:

Hrafn that is my side of the bed. Please put my pillow back and get that smug grin off of your pointy face. Asshat.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Augh I feel your pain! We're looking to get Raf a companion once our finances are a bit more stable and I'll be damned if I don't keep finding myself on shelter websites... That and there have been some stunning CsV litters lately and I'm just counting my blessings that I can't afford a pup at the moment haha. (Saying that, if/when I get another CsV I will be so so picky with the parents. I love Hrafn to pieces and wouldn't change a thing about him but he is looking rather shepherdy for the breed..!)

That video though. :3:

Sock Weasel fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 19, 2011

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Ben is absolutely adorable. :3: Hrafn still has a thing about splashing in his metal dish, except only when it's empty. He'll pounce it around the lounge for a good half hour or more whilst making the most ridiculous yapping sound. :downs:

I was greeted with this when I came downstairs this morning:

That sofa is too small for either of you. Don't look at me like that just because I woke you up.

Also I made a really realistic portrait of him.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Oh gosh, I'm so glad she's safe back with you! :ohdear:

riht Haha, having a couchdog is a blessing and a curse! Raf will get down when you tell him, but he will pretty much always try and snuggle up with you if there is space free. I keep a little photoblog of him here which has some pics of him all the way from puppy stage to adult. (Just click the little 'archive' button at the side to go back further) It needs new pics though! I'm looking forward to seeing his first proper winter coat grow in; fuzz time! :toot:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

An exciting day in the life of a brown thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBygGi6ZYrg
Neighbourhood Watch duties.

Followed by walkies during which, somehow, he managed to make himself smell like vomit. Therefore bath time! :toot:

augh

gently caress you

"I was just in there and hated it but HAY WHAT'S THIS?"

This looks like-

"- we're going down, Captain!"

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

Holy poo poo Quaffle and shiba puppies. :3:

I think my dog is broken.

I've just moved back up north and am living with my folks for a little while; their husky mix gets along so well with Hrafn but... well.
http://youtu.be/XZdR4kaE-Hs

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

paisleyfox posted:

I haven't seen Hrafn in forever, Sock Weasel. Post mooooooore!

Okay :3:

This seems to pretty much be Iyola's body language when instigating play. "Chase me chase me I HATE YOU chase me ♥" Is she socially retarded or is this just normal huskymix weirdness? Raf will freeze with his tail up and waving, ears up but tilted back, and the most confused expression on his face as he tries to sniff at her tongue.

Dinner time!

I'm really glad to see some progress on the wolfdog.org pages towards a good breed club in the UK. There's still hope for us yet! I'm also glad to see people contributing to it who are in the same boat as myself; my dog is from sadly non-FCI lines, he's neutered and I would never dream of breeding a non-FCI dog, and he's not the most 'typey' looking CSV, but we can sure as hell work towards changing the UK's current situation with some careful hard work.

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

That name gets my vote as well. :colbert:

I caught them snuggled up together this morning! Usually Iyola will steal the dog bed outside of my bedroom door at night and Hrafn will be on it in the morning, or vice-versa, but they were flopped out like this this morning. :3:

Stairs are comfy. (I need to get myself a digital camera instead of this crappy phone, augh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

So upon letting the dogs back inside from their morning playtime, I'm greeted with the sight of Iyola's collar tag - still attached to the D-ring - on the driveway, next to a broken collar clasp.

There is no fabric in sight. I'm guessing one of them... ate... it? Poopwatch it is. :saddowns:

• Locked thread