Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
There are some pretty cool ice caves near-ish where we live, so we had to take the pup out for a walk now that it's finally above zero. Hit ten degrees today and it felt like a heat wave. We walked for four hours and covered about ten miles. Goliath hasn't been out for extended periods lately due to the weather, so he was pretty tuckered out by the end.

Expert digger.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
A few weeks ago I handled for one of my friends' sled dog races, and I haven't asked permission to post photos of her dogs, but it was a BLAST. I had so much fun. She has eleven Alaskan Huskies and that weekend we raced six of them. She ended up placing really well. While I was waiting at the finish line, a photographer saw that I was a handler, and we got to talking. He took some amazing photos of her and her team coming down a slope through some beautiful tall pines that were covered with snow... I will find out if I can post photos of the race because her dogs are super cute and the photographer's photos turned out beautifully.

A few pictures anyway...

Our team crossing the finish line.

Me waving hello.

A picture at the motel we stayed at, they look like Goliath! E: Sorry, don't know why it's sideways.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Taking a stroll in a river.

Shakey shakey.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

#TBT!

The top pic is Goliath a few days after we brought him home from the shelter in fall of 2012. The bottom picture is half a year later in the summer of 2013. His hair just keeps on growing, by now his belly hair practically drags on the floor.

He is currently lounging on the floor, taking it easy. He is such a good boy. Turns 11 years old (maybe) this fall!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

PST posted:

One week to go until this little guy is coming home with us and my credit card is taking a beating with crate/collar/bowls/food/toys/treats etc. Still shopping around pet insurance policies, which I swear are more arcane and filled with dubious small print than car/life policies.

Oh my GOD. You have to post every picture you take when you bring him home. Do you have a name yet?

This old man thinks "Goliath Jr." is a good name for a young pup.

Forgot to post this picture, but Goliath turned (maybe) 10 this past November, which was his two year adoption anniversary. Love this dog so much.

He blew his coat to the EXTREME this past fall. My boyfriend's parents just so happened to have an antique spinning wheel, so we saved all his hair that we brushed out and made some double ply doggy hair yarn. We had no clue what we were doing so we Youtubed how to spin wool, the results are far from perfect and the wheel isn't in great shape, but we could probably knit some primitive (but very warm) scarves from the skeins we made. With his winter coat, he went from having a completely white face to having a salt and pepper stripe up his nose. It's super cute and I need to kiss it all the time.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Kovu is so handsome :3: - Seems like he's happy to be home!

Goliath taking a nap.

If anyone's interested, World Malamutes United is a group on Facebook where people from around the world post pictures of their Mals. There have recently been quite a few puppy pictures and they're so cute I can hardly stand it.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

squidtarts posted:

My husband and I are about to get our first dog and despite saying we'd like a small breed (I grew up with chihuahuas and he had miniature schnauzers) I've fallen completely in love with an Akita mix at the local shelter :allears:

She's already 10 years old and according to her foster family very chill, good with other dogs and even cats, and just all around easy going—though apparently not great with commands like sit, etc. We live in a ~950 sq foot condo and I go out walking/jogging daily so I'm really convincing myself this is a good fit. I know she's likely to only live a few more years and I'd love to give her a good home in the meantime. Is this a terrible idea for someone's first dog?

If you're in love with her, bring her home! I always thought my first dog would be a medium sized, short-haired dog, but we fell in love with an eight year old Malamute at the shelter instead. I had excluded hairy dogs from my mind (unfairly) because they require more maintenance, but the instant love connection happened, and we have zero regrets. Best dog ever.

There's a reason this thread has its title, primitives do what they want, but that's a characteristic I've found I like. They're not very dog-like. We've managed to teach our old man several commands, but he's very much a free thinker. That doesn't make them "naughty," they're just independent! Dogs can be taught things regardless of age or breed.

Age is just a number. Often, shelter/rescue dogs' true ages aren't known, but you will never know how long a dog will live, she could be around for years to come. If she is definitely ten, it still doesn't matter! We've had Goliath for about three and a half years and while we can tell he is an older dog, he is still thriving. Even if her time with you may be shorter, she still deserves an opportunity to have a great home for the rest of her life. You have the love connection, and that is the most important thing. Research the needs and traits of older Akitas, and if it's something you can imagine fitting into your lifestyle, DO IT.

Adopting an older primitive breed as your first dog is the opposite of a terrible idea, and here's proof:

Taken a couple weeks ago. A happy doggy.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
He definitely looks more like a malamute than a husky. His face is wide, he's stout, and he's got gorgeous brown malamutey eyes. How old is he? He looks primitive even though he's small, maybe he's something like mal/pom, even though that would be weird. Maybe he's just an extremely small malamute?

A picture of Goliath being happy outdoors. Being an Old Dog is starting to show a little bit but apart from skin tags and bumples and occasional sore hips, he continues to be a very good dog.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
We just got our engagement pictures done with Goliath. I can't wait to see how they turn out!! He was a very good boy the whole time and dug several holes while he was waiting.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Dorian is SO cute and tiny!

Goliath has been showing his age lately. He's developed a lot of new skin tags and bumples in the last year, and he's obviously stiff now, especially when standing up and going up stairs. He also had two seizure-like episodes about a month ago where he whined and whimpered and it seemed like he couldn't move, and he was incontinent of pee and poo. It was extremely scary, we got him into the vet that day, and they told us to monitor him. If he has more than one seizure a month they will start anti-seizure meds, but he hasn't had any episodes since. They're worried about a brain tumor, but he's estimated to be about 12 or 13 years old so there's nothing we would do for it besides medication. My poor boy. :(

There was also a scary night where we went on a walk with a younger dog that we were sitting, and he was pretty tired when we got home, but at the end of the night he couldn't even stand up without his legs giving out. He was better the next day but I felt awful. No more hiking through the woods any more, we're just going to stick to level paths.

Mr. Man on one of our recent walks with some very muddy paws. Overall he's in good spirits and the same old sweet man he's always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
That sounds unimaginably horrific. So sorry about Nikita.

• Locked thread