Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I would like to talk about Tibetan Mastiffs! I saw someone post a young TM in the thread earlier, so I know there's some around. They are just magnificent dogs. I was wondering if anybody would be able to give me a brief rundown on what they're like, both in comparison to other primitives, and just in general. Obviously, I want to own one eventually. :3: From asking around in other places, it sounds like they have a more biddable, more laid-back personality than some other primitive breeds, but they make up for it with a hell of a guarding instinct. I'm told they can be kept as pets, you don't need to provide them with their own personalised alpine monastery to guard or anything, but a second opinion would be nice. I need to know what I must do to build up to eventually getting one! (In like ten years' time.)

Alternately, if you have one, I would appreciate all of the photos, just all of them.

On another note - there is construction work going on at a house near where I live, and the construction crew has the best mascot.

This very hard-working labourer (a malamute? He has brown eyes and looks too big to be a husky) just lies out the front all day (he's usually out on the verandah bit), in that exact position, not moving at all, gazing at passersby. He seems like a really docile dog, too. I love "working dogs" that just sleep on-site all day. I might try to get some better pictures of him soon, his underlings don't seem to mind people photographing him.

Edit: I didn't mean I was going to post about Tibetan Mastiffs. :( I don't know nearly enough about them so I'd just be quoting a bunch of stuff. Sorry to get your hopes up! (I'm holding out for a breed post too)

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I saw my first real-life Shiba today! :kimchi:

I said "Gorgeous dog!" and the owner rolled her eyes and said "Ugh. Sometimes."

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

I can't loving handle this video, it's a bunch of chows hurling their fluffy bodies at each other in the snow. There's a puppy too.

Look at these goddamn flooflords:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Z4Smvs6nE
:kimchi:

I love how the pup and the black one are derping out and the big orange guy's all "I am professionally embarrassed by you" until he shakes himself at the end and turns into a koosh ball

How can these dogs even be real.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

TVs Ian posted:

Where are you guys living that heaven rains down perfectly behaved adult wooly Mals every few months?
Mannamutes, if you will.

I think you should take her into your home, embrace the shedding, and start a lucrative dog-hair knitwear business. They're different colours too, imagine the interesting patterns you could get!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I was wondering if any primgoons had any experience with owning a dingo?

A family friend had a dingo when I was a kid, but I only ever met her once, and she was about eight weeks old at the time so it wasn't easy to judge how she'd turn out. She basically acted just like a puppy, but she was completely silent and when she was playing with my dogs, she'd stalk them like a cat. :3: (She was super yellow and super fluffy, too.) They're behaviourally closer to dogs than, say, wolves or coyotes, but they're still very much a wild canid.

Although obviously I'm not about to just run out and buy a dingo, it is legal to own them in Australia and they've interested me for a long time. It's a pretty long shot - especially as they're banned for pet ownership in the USA, as far as I know - but I just thought I'd ask if anyone's ever had or known anyone who had one.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Their attitudes are really similar, but huskies have a LOT more energy. Much more likely to be underfoot in the house, and can require more effort to tire out.
And they can and will escape from anywhere, while malamutes can only escape from most places.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I am totally in love with Goliath.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
They really are, it's a gorgeous colour.

There's a couple around my house that owns a three-month-old Alaskan Malamute x Shar Pei. :psyduck: I have no idea how that cross happened, but she looks exactly like a shar pei, short bristly coat and all (adult-sized already though, she's going to be a big dog) but with that wolfish grey sable malamute colouring and a pure black face and saddle. Incredible-looking dog. I hope they stay around my neighbourhood so I can see how her personality develops and if her fur ends up growing out. She's played with my little guy a few times and she likes putting her paw on his head; it's exactly the same size as his skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
he is so cute omg

• Locked thread