Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
In 7ish weeks now I'll be bringing a Malamute puppy home (pictures to come once we've picked out which one in a couple of weeks when we visit). This thread's been a great resource in helping to decide that yes we can handle a Malamute (a weekend of bikejoring also helped show how easy and fun that is for us and the dogs), together with a lot of conversations with breeders and owners on what to expect. Actually picking the breeder saw me go through a half-dozen or so that I didn't like for various reasons (sure you can take a 6 week malamute home, just come by and pick it up this weekend etc.) and we're going to be getting a ludicrously pedigreed Mal, but the breeder is exactly the type of person I was looking for, as well as being recommended by other breeders involved in the UK Malamute society.

Thanks for the wealth of great info in the thread and I'll keep updating.

Also Zenithbliss your Samoyed looks good as gold, you must be wrong, nothing that cute can be evil!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Visited our Malamute breeder's kennels today (10 mals in their working teams, 9 puppies in the litter!) Took a few pictures though she wants to wait to 7 weeks to assign puppies as some are going to show/breeders so they'll want the most typical of the breed etc.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Ashwat posted:

It's funny because we just settled on a Malamute breeder who will be breeding one of her dogs in the spring/summer time frame, and I spent a lot of time trolling through this thread and some of the others for info. Nice to see someone else having the same crazy ideas.

I'm pretty excited to post pictures once we have our ball of fluff fluff.

My husband was initially apprehensive about the idea of getting a "larger" dog (his experience with dogs have been with Bichons at the biggest) but we went to a pulling tournament to meet with the breeder and her dogs as well as other breeders/dogs in the local Malamute club and I think all his doubts went out the window. After an hour of meeting over a dozen different malamutes we're both pretty set. I'm getting excited about the possibility of skijoring in a year or two and having a doggy companion to take backpacking with us. :)

We went through the same process, I grew up with dogs, my wife's never owned one so she's been doing a lot of reading up. She ruled out a husky just because of how insane/over the top and escape-prone they can be (we have hedges rather than a huge fence) but she fell in love with mals when she got me a weekend of dog-sledding for my birthday. We also went to some weight pulls and I spent a month researching breeders, talking to breeders who didn't have litters coming up to ask who they recommended etc. There are so many terrible dog breeders out there that, for me, paying the extra to go with someone reliable was worth it (no I don't want to take two at once, no I don't think 6 weeks is old enough etc. ).

Bikejoring rather than skiing for us (England's not that known for snow) but we have a 300 acre wood just over a mile from our house so that should be great to use when he hits 18 months or so.

Edit: Bowser looks awesome, if not for the shiba scream we might have ended up with one because they're such great dogs, but just hearing it once was enough for my wife to flatly refuse!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

One week to go until this little guy is coming home with us and my credit card is taking a beating with crate/collar/bowls/food/toys/treats etc. Still shopping around pet insurance policies, which I swear are more arcane and filled with dubious small print than car/life policies.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

On the negative side, 3 different dogs attacking my Malamute, Mishka, in the past six months has made him go from absolutely loving every dog he encounters, to that classic Mal same-sex aggression. At least in his case he only shows it towards dogs that bark/growl at him first or get right in his face as their first encounter. Also on the negative, I had to go away and he went into a new kennel which seemed awesome. And then on picking him up they told me he was 'red' as their recently painted red floors had lifted all the paint onto Mishka's fur, but that they'd tried to bathe him, and left him soaking wet for 2 days. He's now on antibiotics and steroid tablets because of the hot spots they caused and is panting a lot and generally not enjoying life (especially as we have a mini heatwave here).

On the other, 100 yards from my house is his best buddy in the world, a small Husky who was a rescue and thinks Mishka is the best thing in the world. He (Ice) even tries to give Mishka his toys when they have playdates and is all 'mi casa su casa' when Mishka eats from his dog bowl.

Vicious attack dog

Revenge!

• Locked thread