Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.
My roommate has a Basenji, currently about 6 months old:

He's a pretty cool dog, but can be such a little poo poo. I knew about them being an ancient breed and also about shiba types being jerks, but I guess I never put 2 and 2 together; explains a lot.

Unlike most of the other primitive breeds, they don't have a double coat and their hair is very short, so thankfully shedding is minimal. They don't bark, but they can still be very loud and make all kinds of other weird noises: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rMXqcUx90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigseven
May 8, 2003

That was heavy.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I can understand being dubious about that. It's a breed of which I've only ever seen one individual in person. That said, there's quite a few of them in rescues around here that are a lot more convincing as half or purebreds. Here's her listing: http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24574524. The pictures don't show it, but if you look at the video, she's got a freaky long neck. The tail seems to be in a low curl as opposed to the high and tight typical of basenjis. At any rate, that's still only three wide-angle pictures and 10 seconds of video, which you can't tell much from.
I'm not tied to a breed and I don't think I would suddenly change my mind if I were to find out she was one thing or another. At the end of the day, she still appears to be at least partly a primitive breed, which is why I'm asking for help in this thread.

edit: I don't know much about breeds, but I concur on herding dog in there somewhere. Herding breeds are prevalent around here.
I had a roommate with a basenji (also brindle), and I can definitely see it being in the mix here. Though my guess for the other part would have been pit bull. I agree that knowing the breeds wouldn't let you predict much about this mix's personality, and who knows how well the parents conformed to their breed's standards anyway? The rescue/foster is probably your best resource for learning more about her behavior.

• Locked thread