Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Vino posted:

Well poo poo, sorry. The service has been getting worse and worse, feel free to suggestion a better one for me. Waffle only works for SA.

You can set up a Photobucket account and use that, it's all I've ever used. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh yeah. :rolleyes: I saw that yesterday and forgot to respond.

It's mainly his fur and his ear carriage, they're really not typically lab. Something about his face, too, is more slender. That combined with his personality highly suggest mix. :) I have to go to work, but I can dig up some pictures later if you want.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha That is TOO funny. That's great that she learned right off how you wanted her to behave. I'm glad you didn't give in or hang out trying to calm her down, you handled the situation perfect, I think. :) The key to these dogs is consistency and being unwavering with the rules. You give them an inch, and they take 10 miles. :argh:

Speaking of food begging, we've gotten a pretty hilarious situation crop up with Buddy that I don't see us changing in the near future (because it's still fine for us, we're not bothered by it). We ALWAYS eat in the living room, so we've taught Buddy to go lay in his bed while we eat, and even though he's a little rear end and tries to get away with scooting off or getting a drink of water then sitting closer, every time we make him go back. Well, one day he decided to go behind the couch because his bed gives him perfect access, and then he could be closer to the food. Well my husband thought that was the cutest thing ever, and we liked that he realized he could go back there because he loved it with our old couch, so he threw him a piece of food. Well, he kept rewarding him for going back there, so now if it's a dinner he really wants, when we tell him to go to his bed, he'll skip the bed entirely and go behind the couch. He's even getting ballsy enough to scoot to the end of the couch without his bed where the end table is, and poke his head through. :argh: Funny part is he'll only really do it when my husband's sitting there, because he knows that if I'm there he won't get anything and I'll tell him to back up. If we're ignoring him too much and not giving him food (especially if I'm the one by the table) he'll go to the corner in back since we have a sectional and hop up on his back legs to try and look and whine at us. :3: hahaha It's SO funny that all of a sudden you'll hear a little frustrated cry and look over to just see a pair of ears.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

We took Buddy to Dogs Day in Tinley Park, IL yesterday. He got to meet up with my in-laws dogs and meet new friends. :3: The black lab is Lily, one of my husband's parents' dogs, and the skinny little golden is my sister-in-law's puppy. I'm really mad, we met this chunky little husky, but I didn't think to get a picture. :argh: We had a bunch of fun, though, even though it was colder out than anyone expected.

This started as an experiment, just to see if we could get all 3 spastic dogs to sit for treats. It actually worked. :3:

I think it's funny that Lily & Connor just kinda sat there, and didn't mind so much about getting a treat or not, but you can see the urgent look on Buddy's face because, damnit, he is only sitting there because there's food involved, and he's liable to jump up and leave if you're not fast enough with it.

As a result, most of these pictures are of Buddy chewing. :3:

A couple of the whole place:

Buddy had lots of admirers. :3:

Buddy was also in a "Cutest Trick" competition! We entered just because there were only two other dogs doing it, so why the hell not just get him to do a couple tricks? These were the only pics we got, little old cocker jumping through a hoop:

But we DID get video of Buddy's run! :dance: He's SO funny and excited. It's not even like the treats he was getting were high value, he was just amped up from seeing so many dogs and being in a new place. I wish I'd though to drop his leash earlier, he didn't have room at first and got stuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMZzQLOtqEo

Since there were only 3 dogs participating, they all got to pick a prize! Buddy got a package of two tennis balls that he decided he was going to open himself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1S_m6Q6XuE

A couple more random videos, one of Buddy sniffing a chow, and another right after he was playing with his friends. Of COURSE they stopped immediately after I pulled out the camera. :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBovFj83WUE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_4hRBNH8wk

I think it's hilarious seeing Buddy, who's about 8-9 now, compared to my in-laws' dogs who are pretty much still puppies. They're just as wild and have the same amount of energy. Any of the older dogs there wouldn't be able to keep up. It would have been nice to get more video, because I think it's a fantastic example of how huskies (and most other primitive breeds) simply don't seem to age.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Thanks!! :haw:

I'm excited to see pictures from your event!! We usually go to an event like that every year, but it falls on sort of a crappy day for us this year, so I don't know if we'll wind up going. What's Koji's costume?? Do you have any pictures of him in it from last year? :3: I'm going to put Buddy in his "wolf in sheep's clothing" costume I made him 3 years ago on Halloween because we're in a neighborhood where we'll actually get trick-or-treaters this year. I bet the kids will love him. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Baahahahaha!! :laugh: Koji is awesome! The toy Slimer really makes it. He needs a proton pack, though. :colbert:

EdsTeioh posted:

Here's my new little guy, Thor!

He's so cute!! Man, the people who had him before sure didn't give him a whole lot of time before they gave him up, did they? :(

How are you guys handling him so far? Husky puppies are a real handful. Especially when you teach them all sorts of great things, and they're listening really well, then they hit 8 months old and decide they're going to "forget" everything you taught them. :laugh: You'll have to keep us updated on him and post lots of pictures!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Pfox!! :neckbeard: What a great post!! I knew some general things about akitas and the differences between JA & AA, but this is AWESOME info. :) You can really see the shepherdy influence in Hellen Keller's dogs, and in the rear angles on the stacked picture you posted. It's funny how her dogs, even though they are the dogs that influenced the AA, look leaner than either of the akitas that have developed today. That can probably partially be accounted for by the thicker coat, but it looks like smaller bone in general.

Do you have any more pictures of early akita like that? I think it's really interesting when you can see pictures of the dogs that developed a breed, and where the dogs were standardized to when you start with some pretty diverse dogs.

Also, I :love: Heiji. :3: That is SUCH a cute story.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

He's so handsome!!! He looks like the giant mal version of Buddy. :3: I remember seeing that picture where he's burried in the snow before, you don't post him nearly enough. :colbert: Do you think you'd be willing to dig up some info and do a mal breed post?

Same goes for you, Pretty Cool Name, would you want to do a detailed post about sammies? :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Pretty Cool Name posted:

WolfensteinBag: I could probably whip something up in a few days. But I'd prefer if some one who actually had some real life experience with them would do it, but on the other hand I'd love to contribute to this awesome thread. Time to start digging for info I guess. Also, prepare for some horrible grammar as English is not my first language. :)

Well, I'm just an idiot and looked at the wrong post. :downs: I meant to say Gonktastic since he (she? :shobon: I don't know) has owned sammies. But if you have some good info since you've been researching for a dog of your own, that would be great, too! I mean, hell, look at all the breeds I wrote about without owning them. :)

Also, what IS your first language, then?? You English has been fantastic, so far!

Philip J Fry posted:

He does get quite a lot of attention, even from those who aren't dog people... Little kids always ask if he's a wolf or exclaim "Snow Dog!" (from the Disney movie).

hahaha We get the same thing with Buddy. :3: We also get "Snow Buddy!" which is hilarious to me, considering his name. They get SUCH a kick out of it when I tell them.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

What a great post, Philip J Fry! I especially loved the pulling a refrigerator comment. :3: It's kinda funny to think that Siberian Huskies are to Malamutes what Alaskan Huskies are to Siberians.

paisleyfox posted:

Ugh, I'm so sorry Wolf, I completely forgot about scanning those pictures for you. (You should totally get that book though, it's awesome. :colbert:) I'll be sure to do it within the next day or so.

Don't worry about it, I wasn't in a huge rush for them or anything! I've been laying around sick for the last few days, anyway ( :argh: ) so I haven't really felt like being on the computer much. No rush!!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

Do I eat it?

Click here for the full 1028x768 image.

Yay Kaiden!! :neckbeard: He's so cute! I love this picture in particular, for some reason it's SO cute when huskies hold things, since they have such small mouths. :3: Also, congrats on Kaiden's graduation!! I can't believe that second course is over already, it feels like you just started.

Zeus is super cute, too! :3: I LOVE that blue tongue picture, it looks like it's photoshopped or something since his mouth is still super white. Seeing pictures of him makes me wish I could have seen Buddy as a puppy, I bet he was ridiculously cute, too. :3: How are things going with him so far?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha Yeah, I totally wasn't thinking when I wrote that (Zeus), I think I had last week's Venture Brothers on the brain or something. :rolleyes:

He's pretty young still, right? I'm guessing the excited peeing (or submissive urination) is something he'll likely grow out of since he's young, so long as you completely ignore it when it happens. It's SUPER common to think the dog's actually having accidents, and to try and "correct" the dog while you bring them outside, but really, that just makes the situation worse. Don't even acknowledge your dog when you're cleaning it up, let alone when he's doing it, and it should fix itself over time, especially if he's not showing many submissive behaviors in conjunction with it. He could just really have to go and he doesn't quite have the control yet. (Not saying you ARE correcting him or anything, just that it's all something we went through, two, and it's good to know if you didn't already!)

As far as the food aggression goes, is he just grumbling at you (TOTAL husky trait, get used to it) or is he actually showing aggression like showing you his teeth or, god forbid, snapping at you? If he's just grumbling, it's a LOT easier to deal with. Either way, you might want to start working on a "Leave It" command, where you give your pup something he really loves, like his food, then offer him something he'd love even MORE, like a really great treat. As you offer it, say "Leave it!" as he backs off from his food, then give him the treat. You can do this with any two things your dog values, so long as he's willing to give up whatever he has. Then you work towards taking the first thing he had away, so he gets comfortable with a trade off. You'll want to give back his food, obviously, but the key to REALLY getting this command down is to making it completely random as to whether you'll give him back whatever he had, so it keeps him guessing. That way, your dog 1) gets to equating person by food=yummy treat and 2) you have a good command to get your dog to drop things he's not supposed to have.

As far as we know, Buddy's about 8 or 9. We adopted him in November '06, and the paperwork we got from his vet visits in February '06 said he was about 4, but we have no way of knowing for sure since most of his past is a mystery.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh my god, that dog is ridiculous!! :3: They're spot on, that definitely HAS to be a husky/corgi, it's like a perfect blending of their confirmation. :3: :laugh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:neckbeard: Yay!! Thanks for the shiba pics!! :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha The brick crate is such a fantastic idea! I can't believe how perfectly those bricks fit in there, too. Clever thinking, good job!!

Also, Moxie is SO freakin' cute. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha I love the beep pictures. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Tendai posted:

Hrafn on one side, Koji on the other.

Buddy takes offense to this statement. :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Sock Weasel posted:

Early studies are showing that there may be some problems. :saddowns:

Kaiden and Buddy make effective huskywheels, Random-Shiba #1 and #2 seem to get the idea, Random-Shiba #3 and Hrafn may need some time.

:neckbeard: This is fantastic!!! If the "Buddy" were more easily separated from Kaidan, I would TOTALLY use that as a new avatar. As it is, I might use the awesome "NO." shiba to keep with my current theme. :3:

As far as husky balls go (wow, didn't mean that to sound so horrible... :blush: ) I have to concede that Kaidan probably has Buddy beat. Kaiden's a bit smaller, and his confirmation more readily lends itself to the structure necessary for coiling. Buddy's breeder must not have had such important things in mind. :argh: He doesn't ball up so much anymore, but when he does, I'll make sure to get pictures. You know, for science.

Speaking of, though, we went to Haunted Hounds today, a halloween event put on out here. Buddy was in his costume, better tailored than ever, and he met two new girlfriends, two other huskies. :3: it was great, because you could see him recognize them as such, he got SO excited to see them! Got some pictures and video of them trying to play while on lead to post later.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Photo dump! These are from Haunted Hounds this past Sunday. The event has gotten SO huge that I'd say the majority of time we spent was waiting in lines for contest judging and winner announcements (Buddy was robbed, btw :argh: ), but we still met some awesome dogs and Buddy made a few friends. :3:

Buddy's costume fits a lot better now that I've made some adjustments. :3: He actually had people recognize what he was, too, where we had a lot of people question it in the past.

One of the two husky girls we met. She was dressed as a squirrel, and actually won 3rd place for funniest costume! haha The other two dogs in the picture are actually clients of mine. :3:

Trying to play. She was kind of intimidated by Buddy, though, he tends to bark in other dogs' faces. :rolleyes:

This was the other girl we met. SHE was all up for playing. :3: They had a hard time being on leads, though. We got some pretty hilarious video of them I'll post after work later. I loved her tactic, she kept trying to slap Buddy in the face. :3: haha

They also had some agility stuff set up, so we sent Buddy through the tube! These are just reference pictures to see how large it is, we have a video of him actually running through it.

Videos to come later!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

rivals posted:

:stare:

Tendai posted:

That red female has the best facial expressions, they're cracking me up.

hahaha I know, she was just as crazy looking in person. :haw: It was kinda sad, though, when she got scared of Buddy, her eyes got even bigger.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to get the videos up, but I have a good excuse! I wound up taking Buddy to a video shoot downtown for a promo for a cable channel here, WCIU. :dance: Despite their generally crappy shows, they're actually a super dog friendly channel, and do all of their promo bumps with dogs from the area. You sign up to be on a list, then once a month they take a small group and e-mail them to come in and shoot. It's funny, because practically all of my in-laws' dogs have done it, and one of my friends. The commercials are shown all over Chicagoland, though! Here's a link to the page where they post all of them, Buddy's should be up on November 1st. :dance:

http://www.wciu.com/udog.php?section=vote

It's so much fun watching the other dogs, too, and I can't wait to see some of the spots with the dogs we saw. When we walked in, there was another, smaller husky walking out, then inside there was a cute little shiba (with horrible allergies, you should have seen her paws :( ), this awesome border collie/who knows what else mutt, a BEAUTIFUL GSD, and the absolute laziest pit I've ever seen. :3:

Also, rivals, I'm sorry to hear about Kaiden. :( Hopefully it's not getting too bad and he just had a bit of a sore day. Is it possible he was more active than usual yesterday, or the day before?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

EdsTeioh posted:

I was just about to say that Thor never sleeps in the Huskyball, then I see this:

:3: He might ball up better later on, I think right now it looks like his paws are too gawky for him to really curl up tight. :3: He's so cute!!

paisleyfox posted:

I think I did this wrong... :j:

hahaha He looks SO stiff!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

We kinda have "come" though honestly "cookie!" works better.

hahaha That's too funny. I was just thinking earlier about how Buddy's recall command really is, "Buddy, here!" as in, "Here's something delicious for you!" haha

Also, you bringing up these dogs thinking on their own reminded me of something from going into the city yesterday. So for those of you who've never been in downtown Chicago before, it's nothing but traffic and sidewalk, and city blocks are LONG. So I'm walking Buddy down this nutcase area, keeping him tight next to me, even though he'd rather be running around like a maniac sniffing all these things he'd never seen before. Finding how to get into the drat place was confusing as hell, so after I FINALLY found and made it to the front of the building, of COURSE there's a sign saying to go to the rear entrance. :rolleyes: We wander around for awhile, and I'm in the back of the building, but it doesn't look at all like there's an entrance. At one point, Buddy COMPLETELY puts on the breaks. I'm already frustrated, and now my drat dog will NOT lift his head off the ground. I practically have to drag him forward for a good few yards before he finally starts walking with me again. We do another lap around the whole, giant city block, only to end up back exactly where Buddy put the breaks on before. Looking closer, I found this scary looking door tucked way inside a parking area that did not look at ALL like it would be an actual entrance, but sure enough, that's where we had to go in. Buddy was trying to tell me I was an idiot and going past where we were supposed to go. :3: I :love: smart dogs.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha I :love: Kaidan. :3:

I still absolutely love that brick crate idea. I think it's just genius. Also, for dogs that are generally known to tell you "gently caress you, you can't control me! :saddowns: " it's like the ultimate "gently caress YOU, try getting out of THAT!" right back at them.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Cassiope posted:

awwwww he's gonna get that moss! Look out moss!!

I just showed that one to my husband and he said it looked like a praying mantis. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

And I learned while walking Sitka that apparently people with multicoloured hair (me) shouldn't have pets because we clearly can't take care of them. This from a woman ignoring her shrieking kids as they ran in and out of the road. While Sitka was trotting along at my heel like a good girl. People, I swear.

Hey there multicolored hair, sled dog ownin' buddy! :hfive:

So what'd the lady say to you??

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

That's the thing. She didn't say it to me. She said it really loudly to her friend as I was walking by. It was just ... kinda surreal in how aggressively passive aggressive it was.

That's really lovely. The best thing I could suggest is just keep bringing your dog up right, and be a stickler about obedience. It HAS to shut people up when your dog is sitting at corners before crossing the street. :rolleyes: I probably help the situation because I'm super social when it comes to my dog in that I KNOW everyone wants to pet him. :colbert: Whenever we're out on walks and people look at him, especially if it's kids, I say it's ok to pet him and that usually starts a conversation where they can see he's a good dog and I know what I'm doing. Like rivals said, too, though, it could be where we live. No matter where you are in the Chicago suburbs, I don't think colored hair really turns heads anymore. Unless you're looking for a job. :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Cross posting Buddy's commercial from the Random Nonsense thread. :3:

http://www.wciu.com/udog.php?section=video&assetID=10003854

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Buddy's already fluffed up quite a bit. I keep thinking he's getting fatter (since we just changed his food and I'm keeping tabs to make sure he's getting the right amount) but he's just growing one hell of a coat, I think. We're toughing it out and haven't turned our heat up past 66 so far, so I'm guessing he's going to be a wooly beast this year. I'm already dreading spring. :doh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I've had two different dogs steal muffin wrappers with no consequence. :rolleyes: :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

What is it you're actually using "wait" for? It affects how you teach it. Is it to teach self control like waiting for a treat or at a corner for a walk, or is it in place of "stay"?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Citizen Rat posted:

I've been using it for self control. She sits just fine, but I want her to sit and stay there when I'm putting her food down or waiting to cross the street or waiting to go out a door. That sort of thing.

The best way to train that is just to be more stubborn than your dog. I ought tp have my husband take a video of Buddy wait by the door to go out, it's a good example. I'm out right now, but I'll be sure to elaborate later!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Ok, didn't edit my last post just to bump the thread. Had a chance to take some video as an example of how I've worked with Buddy and his "wait" command! :haw: Here's the text I wrote up for the video:

This is an example of how we use the "wait" command on Buddy's walk, and how it differs from the "stay" command. The first part is an example of Buddy going outside, and he was surprisingly on his best behavior. This was all done with positive training, he knows his reward is going outside, and that he isn't going to get anywhere by being pushy. He also knows that I'm faster than him, and that if he tries to make a break for it, I'll just shut the door!

Out on our walks, "wait" is used to halt Buddy in his tracks. He looks back at me waiting for his next command, even though he might not want to listen to whatever it is!

It's hard to tell because it's dark and I'm trying to walk Bud and take video at the same time, but when I tell Buddy to "heel" he's supposed to stand by me so I can hold on to his collar. We use this to walk in busy areas like near busy roads or in crowds, or in this case, to walk around obstacles. It's hard to see in the video, but he is walking next to me.

Finally you can see Buddy wait at corners (a safety measure) and sit. I did it two times so you could see the difference in his motivation. The first his reward is just continuing his walk. The second is a treat. Look how fast he plants his butt the second time around!

Here's the link to the actual video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a53TRfRNlTw

To elaborate a little bit on how we trained for the command, it pretty much came naturally. I think he probably picked it up the most from our walks. I would tell him to wait, then tug him back on his leash until he was right by me. Then I wouldn't let him move away from me until I gave him his release command (out on a walk, and most of the time otherwise, it's "ok, go ahead.") Other than that, it's a natural thing to teach with body blocking. Just keep whatever it is your dog wants away from him until he gets that he has to wait.

For going outside (when I put him in a stay before hand) he was NOT always this good, and this is a particularly good run of it. When we first started with this training, it would take a pretty long while before Buddy would be calm enough to be released outside, and even longer before I was really confident holding the door open like that. Part of what helped us, I think, is upping the obedience price if he did a "false start" as it were. If he hadn't stayed like that, I would have had him back up again, then go from a "sit" to a "lay down". Not only is that forcing him to do something else and ohmygod that's so much WORK, but it also puts him in a position where he's naturally more calm and has to put forth more effort to bolt.

Here's another video we just took, which shows an example of Buddy jumping the gun and being put into a "lay down". This is Buddy's routine after finishing his dinner. :3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-gMsD4ulbc

Overall, all of Buddy's commands were really natural to teach using everyday things as motivation. I'm really impressed these days with his obedience, I forget sometimes that it's not a natural thing for huskies to obey like that. That is, I forget until there's something more interesting there than the treat/walk/whatever I'm bribing him with. :rolleyes:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I did the baiting trick with Buddy, worked out really good, because he's nuts about treats, and he can be really lazy. :rolleyes: I like the idea of just marking the behavior, though. You can just keep treats on hand in places you hang out, too, so when he's calm and lays down on his own, you can say, "Good down," or whatever you're using and toss him a treat. He'll get it soon enough, he's a smart pup. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Sock Weasel posted:

He seems to forget everything at dinner time though. Excitement fills his little face and he starts flipping out with an ungodly combination of sit, down, and play dead, usually just by flinging himself sideways across the room. :downs:

hahaha Yeah, Buddy's totally the same way. They're totally too smart and impatient, it's like they go, "Well I know what you're going to ask me, why should I wait for you to ask?" This is also why (in my opinion) CsVs shouldn't be used for bitework. :argh: "Oh screw waiting, I'm just taking this guy down..." :laugh:

Hrafn's growing up so handsome. :3: Looking at his pictures, it looks like his rear legs are angled back a bit too far, but that's a really common problem with the breed and his aren't as bad as some dogs I've seen who have gone on to produce some beautifully conformationally correct puppies. If you ever breed him, you're going to have to find a bitch with really straight rear legs. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Awesome post, thanks!! :dance: I've never seen pictures of the Eastern style shar pei before, although I knew they existed. Especially when you consider the work they do, they're like the ancient version of pitty dogs. :3:

Citizen Rat posted:

I asked this in the training thread as well, but I figure there are more people over here actually doing weight pull and skijourning: do you all have favored resources on learning how to teach a dog to do either?

I figure we'll start training when Sitka hits about 6-7 months starting with getting used to the harness and just watching other dogs pull so I've got some time to read up and get an idea of what I ought to be doing in terms of training. So suggestions on books to read and training videos would be awesome.

I'm not really sure how many people here actually use their dogs in harness. Your best bet is to find groups dedicated to the sport and ask there, especially people who use malamutes. They should know best what's ok and what's not when considering puppy development. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

hahaha That reminds me of when we first got Buddy. He came with a choke chain and leather collar, so obviously we took the chain off right away. Well, turns out the little punk new how to hop and pull himself right out of that drat thing! :rolleyes: Thankfully we happened to have a harness lying around that fit him, but we soon got a martingale collar and he's had that since. He only tried his backing out trick a couple of times before he realized it wasn't worth the effort.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

If you're thinking of something just to get attention for recall, you can try a collar that vibrates instead of shocks. People use them all the time for deaf dogs. You can charge it like you would a clicker, vibrate = treat. That way he should just come when you buzz him. Remember, though, primitive breed dogs should NEVER be trusted off leash in an unsecured area, no matter how much training they have. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Could you try a martingale collar? That way you can put it high and draw it tight enough to sat put without actually choking or causing discomfort.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Look into fabric ones, like Lupine, instead of ones with chains, they might stay better. Don't know what you had before, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Count Piro posted:

I thumbed through the training thread but am in pretty desperate need of help training him to do anything besides what he feels like.

Is there anything in particular that you need to work on, or do you need help with obedience in general? It's important to remember with these sort of breeds that with minimal effort with positive reinforcement, it's actually quite easy to teach anything you want, because these breeds are extremely clever when working for something they value. The problem most owners face is with listening, since you're faced with situations where you want your dog to obey, but you don't have treats on hand as a reward.

A good generic rule is to figure out every little thing your dog enjoys to be used as a reward. Your dog wants to go outside? Sit first. Your dog wants dinner? The bowl doesn't go down until he's quiet. You need to see every good thing your dog ever gets as a possible reward, and never give those things without good behavior first.

Another thing I really like is to only randomly reward for behavior that's expected every day. For example, Buddy has a bed that he has to lay on if we're eating in the living room. He's allowed there, behind the couch, and nowhere else. If I were to reward Buddy every time I told him to go lay down, he would constantly get up and go back just for another treat. Intsead, we reward him for going there without being told, laying there for long stretches without begging, etc. Sometimes he'll get something, sometimes not. But the idea that he might get something for staying in his bed is enough to keep him there when he gets NOTHING for sitting anywhere else (except a command to go lay down).

I really think that with primitive dogs you have to change your approach from a straight forward reward based one to something else entirely because of the fact that they just don't give a poo poo about pleasing you. I think it's a hard thing to understand until you actually work with one of these dogs, because most dogs you meet are happy to listen to what you want so long as they've learned it. Primitive dogs are continually out to discover shortcuts.

If you have really specific problems, or you feel maybe your approach is off for a shiba, it might be good to look for a trainer experienced with primitive dogs to come to your house and assess your situation. Sometimes all it takes is someone to point out where your attitude needs to be different in order for you to understand where you've been going wrong.

• Locked thread