Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

^^^^^^ That's because you're slicing out hair! :argh: The furminator is literally a clipper blade on a stick, so especially with thicker, longer coats (like the stuff around the neck on a shiba) you're actually slicing out coat. That's why it feels like the hair is less bulky, it really is thinned out! You're better off using a flea comb, the tight teeth grab those fine hairs. The furminator will damage the guard hairs and make it feel coarse.

Careful Girl posted:

How is your own handsome dog?

He's good! Getting old man fatty lumps, but he's well. :) Here's some random pics from my phone!

This was at work, Buddy came with when the owner got sick and I had to cancel our appointments for the day. :3:

Lazy boy! Ignore my husband's feet. :iamafag: This is how he spends 90% of his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Rocket Wizard posted:

See i'm super confused about this because the furminator site specifically said it was made for double coated dogs so it didn't damage the guard hairs. I've run my hands on it and didn't get cut or anything. I also don't notice many guard hairs coming out with it, just the undercoat.

It's meant more for double coated dogs with short coats, like labs. Honestly, you can't really trust the marketing of a site like that anyway, they're the ones selling you the product. Even if you only use it on the shorter hair, the undercoat you're getting out is being sliced out, not brushed. It's still a clipper blade on a stick. The technique is called carding, taking a clipper blade and using it to strip out undercoat. Someone just got clever and stuck it on a handle (which is MUCH easier) and marketed the hell out of it. If you do happen to really love it and I'm not deterring you from using it, just space out how often you do, so you don't risk damaging the coat. :)

Oooh, look! Just did a GIS, someone already did a comparison of the two for me! :haw: Left is the Furminator, right is a clipper blade:

Here's a good explanation of what carding is and how to do it:

http://www.netplaces.com/dog-grooming/brushing-101/carding.htm

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

I just want to acknowledge that this was posted in the Primitive Breeds thread, and I love it!! :dance: I think sometimes prim gets equated to "spitz like," when it's much more broad than that. It's the genetics of the dogs and the personality that hasn't necessarily been bred for strict biddability. Just really liked the nod to other types of dogs. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

:neckbeard:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I've seen some huskies who can do it, I think it's just part of natural variation in ear carriage.

This. Honestly, you can't look at ANY structure as a guide to "how primitive" a dog is. It's all based on genetics, which expresses itself most in temperament. Sighthounds, Tibetan dogs, and Chinese dogs would all be considered primitive, but their structures are WAY far off from wolves. Conversely, German Shepherds are super wolfy looking, but they're really far off genetically from wolves, probably because they have such a biddable temperament (total speculation on my part). I guess a good guide is human interference. The more people got in the way of dogs breeding naturally, the more they bred out that typical "primitive" temperament.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

For a new time owner, I'd personally shy away from Asian breeds. They tend to have (in my opinion) more of a chance of being antisocial with other dogs and with strangers, and they have a higher risk of biting. Smaller spitz dogs like American Eskimos tend to be the same way. I think sledding dogs can be a good bet, depending on the dog. Unlike those other breeds, they're bred to work in a group, so they tend to be a lot more social and friendly. I would be wary of any breed that's listed as a "one person owner" or "naturally protective" as those breeds require much more socialization to keep from becoming defensive in a negative way. Sledding dogs might greet every stranger like they're family and not be a great alarm system, but that natural sociability makes them easier, in my mind. Then you need to figure out what sort of energy level you're ready for, and what sort of a coat. Samoyeds might have a really great personality, but are you prepared for all of that hair? If you have a hard time managing it (which honestly, is pretty likely with most people, it is NOT an easy coat if you're new to grooming) will you be able to afford nearly $100 every 4-6 weeks for grooming? Malamutes are also less energetic in the house than a husky, but they do still have a decent amount of hair. Huskies are smaller and easier to take care of coat-wise (unless you end up with a long coated dog) but they seriously bound around your house like deer and are less likely to just settle without a bunch of activity.

The thing of it is, there's no "easiest dog", there's an "easiest dog for US" sort of thing. What is it that's drawing you to these breeds? They might all fit in a broad category, but they tend to be vastly different once you get down to it. You have to look at what you're looking for in a dog FIRST, then match those traits to a breed. :)

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Psychobabble! posted:

I want to get a GSD, and with that I specifically want a male(I know, opposite end of the spectrum with these two breeds haha).

From what I understand, dog aggression is more likely to be worse with two dogs of the same sex. Arbitrarily, from watching dogs in general interact, I'd say this is pretty true. Not even necessarily that they'll have full on aggression, but it just seems like dogs of opposite sexes seem to "click" more. This is a huge reason that our next dog is going to be female, Buddy tends to prefer the ladies. Also, our next dog is going to be a GSD, too! :hfive: I grew up always wanting a husky and a GSD, and I figure I really want a dog with more work ethic with my next one, since Buddy gets sick of training in like 2 minutes, haha.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

a life less posted:

In my experience, female dogs in general tend to be a bit more serious. I find they have a lovely work ethic, but they can be bitchy and carry a grudge. Males tend to mature later and will carry puppyish traits further into adulthood.

This is almost word for word the exact same thing I've heard from multiple other places. :) I was going to say I can't really comment on it because I haven't seen it, but then I just realized that my in-laws' dogs have totally fit that bill, as well as Buddy. Guess I just never thought about it before.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Oh my god that little air kicking is killing me!!

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That is absolutely ridiculous, I'm sorry. :( Why is the hotel a no go? I wanna hear the whole e/n story, so I can be properly mad for you.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Their attitudes are really similar, but huskies have a LOT more energy. Much more likely to be underfoot in the house, and can require more effort to tire out.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

They're smaller, makes the more agile. :haw:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

Chows are pretty small, and it looks like nobody told them that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uJ3FQaMlo4

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hahaha ALL, I was totally thinking the same thing. :3:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Klawr Kat posted:

horrifying mix-up at the (now ex-)groomer who made her look like this:

WHY WHY WHY do groomers constantly go to completely shaving a dog right off the bat like that?!? What the hell crazy clientele do they have where it's MORE normal for a person with a big fluff dog to have it completely stripped bald rather than just a bath and a blowout? :argh:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

There's an 8 year old CSV for adoption in Colorado! That's the benefit if having such a small breed following, the national club can swoop in and help. The poor dog was given up to a kill shelter and was deemed unadoptable. :( Thankfully, the club's Vice President works at a shelter with more resources and she was able to help the dog and has been working on his food aggression to get him adopted. :) You can read all about the work going into his training here:
http://www.czechoslovakianvlcak.org/rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Awww, I'm so sorry. :(

• Locked thread