Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
YES. FINALLY. And of course it goes up while I'm at work. Expect tons of videos and pictures of Kaidan tonight. Also I will post thoughts, stories, etc as I have time throughout the day :neckbeard:

We also just had the pleasure of Kaidan blowing his coat again, in fact it's not quite done yet still a few more days I'm guessing. We've filled probably 5 grocery bags completely stuffed with his fur, he looks so much different now. It's even funnier because the parts that still have undercoat are his neck/shoulders and then behind his back legs. It adds to his :downs:

rivals fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Sep 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

The hose picture is so loving :3: I love Samoyeds, they are very pretty. I used to live near a family that had 2 though they were left in the front yard all day every day with a 3 ft tall fence. Every time I'd walk by they'd stand with their front paws on the fence and say hi to me.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

I also definitely wouldn't equate "Hard Work" with "Hard Lives". Sled dogs are bred to LOVELOVELOVE to RUNRUNRUN! They absolutely live for their work, and if they're bred correctly and conditioned well, it's no more effort to them than to other working dogs doing other jobs.

I completely agree with this. When Kaidan gets the zoomies or when I run him on the beach you can just see it kick in. He just LOVES running, especially when I'm on leash behind him. It's hard to describe, it just seems to click for him and he is off like it's the one thing he was meant to do. I've never had another dog just go like that the way that he seems to when we're in a situation like that. I really wish that I could working with him on pulling and sledding because I think he would absolutely excel at it. His hips are definitely improving lately though, so maybe I'll get a chance to work with some light things on a field with him or something.

EDIT: Expect some "talking and grumbling" videos over the next week or so. Kaidan has this down pat.

rivals fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 1, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

a life less posted:

My favourite dog at the dog park is a gorgeous, huge husky. His name is Mr. Huggo :3:

That's a big boy. He's very cute though :3:

Here's a random video I took the other day. I've been trying to get one of Kaidan yelling at me because he does it a lot, especially in the mornings when he thinks it's time for everyone to wake up and give him attention. Of course as soon as I stop recording he starts being quieter but there's some of his talking on here, as well as him talking back when I ask him to sit and down but he does it anyway :3: You can see he kind of flops into each position, he's not very graceful. I suspect part of that is due to his hip dysplasia, certain movements and positions are uncomfortable.

Anyway, here's the video.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

There's a ~2 year Akita girl in our nosework class who looks practically identical to that American Akita picture paisleyfox posted. Her handler has mentioned some difficulty getting her motivated in the beginning, and apparently when they work with the odor/treats outside of the box and she gets frustrated she goes around and looks in each box then looks at her person like "What the gently caress it's supposed to be in a box you idiot" :3:. She's doing a lot better now though and when she gets excited she tries wagging her little curly tail really fast, it's damned adorable.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfBag will be best regarding cats in the house since as far as I know she's the only one here with a primitive dog and a cat. The short of it as I understand is that it's doable but a lot of work. They can view cats they live with differently from cats outside and tolerate the ones they live with.

That said I don't really recommend them for a first time dog person even with research ahead of time. If you got some experience with them somehow before without having one that could work (foster, maybe? I'd say shelter but it's not super common to see them there, something along those lines or even volunteering at a shelter to get used to any dogs for a while then use that to sort of gauge it, knowing they'll be more difficult). Especially if you have cats and need to worry about that as well.

rivals fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 2, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

haha Yeah, that sounds about right. American Eskimos tend to be SO protective of their families, that even some of the really well socialized dogs can get aggressive with strangers (especially groomers :argh: ). They're like the quintessential one person dog. They are really awesome, though, if they get to trust you. :3:

This is interesting to me because I've actually heard that about Akitas as opposed to American Eskimos. Admittedly, I don't know much about either breed.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I suppose that is all very true. Akitas and American Eskimos are both probably the primitive breeds I've spent the least amount of time with or around so I don't have any experience with them at all, and as such most of what I know of their "one man dog"ness is a very minor amount of anecdotal hearsay. I'd love a giant cuddly Akita though :3:

Edit: And Hawk is the perfect name for your husband's old dog. It's so fitting :)

rivals fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 2, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

:3:

BUDDY! :3: It's so weird seeing Huskies without giant buggy eyes like Kaidan. Also I absolutely love his coat color. He has almost that piebald (I think that's what it's called, at least for huskies) black and white that is more patchy rather than sort of blending together.

EDIT:

paisleyfox posted:

COWER AT THE MIGHT OF THE JAPANESE!

:ohdear: Cute knows no bounds.

Kishu, Akita, Kai, Shiba. Y'all have no idea how much I wish I could take every one of those jerkoffs home. :3:

HOLY poo poo. This made for the best lunch break I've ever had. The one who's attacking the plant :3:

rivals fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 2, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

You know, I don't notice Kaidan cleaning himself that often, but he's almost never dirty. I don't know how it happens. We go on walks at 7:30 every morning through the dew-y grass and occasional mud, our backyard is primarily dirt currently, and the only dog park we go to is all bark but drat if his long, thick coat isn't consistently cleaner than Eris'. I know he's gotten little marks on his paws and legs from random treats and things we've given him over time and they always seem to be gone within a couple hours.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I finally got a good video of Kaidan's morning routine. This is pretty standard for him, usually around 8:30 AM sometimes a little later. Of course, now they are at boarding for the weekend and I miss them :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPtXQzIk_l4

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I know, I'm bummed right now. The place they are at is great though. Multiple large yards based on temperament, size, and age, 1-2 walks per day (with most of the day in the yards with the day care dogs), pools in the yards, indoor kennels, feeding our food at our normal times, etc. We take them there for day care on our really busy days and they have a great time. I'm really sad that we won't be home in time to get them on Monday, so I don't get to see them until Tuesday :smith: Once we move and things are easier in general I don't think we'll be boarding them for weekends anymore, and this is the first time anyway. I just don't know anyone where I live who I would trust enough to do a better job with them than that place, and this is one trip we just couldn't bring them on. They said we can call to check on them whenever, I'm awfully tempted...

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh man that first one is so pretty, but they're both kinda goofy lookin' :3: I love them.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

I’ll leave this for now, but it’s an important lead in for things to come! Wolf Hybrids and New, Wolf-like Dog Breeds!

:neckbeard: I'm so excited for this. I'm going to do a photo dump of Kaidan tonight I think because he's so pretty :3: He's getting groomed today or tomorrow too. I'm just so glad he is back from boarding too.

Edit: This might be a decent place to ask. Is it worthwhile to get a cheaper force dryer to use at home? I'm not a big fan of drying Kaidan after baths and that might make my life significantly easier. When I did some quick searching a while back they seemed to be around 125-175 but I didn't look at quality at all and I'm not sure if it's worth it.

rivals fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Sep 8, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yep, looks like their idea of play to me too :haw: It's pretty funny watching my dogs try to figure out how to play with each other. Kaidan doesn't really play much unless he's with other huskies but Eris (pit/herding mix) just body checks him when he gets the zoomies and sprints around the backyard in circles like a mad man. When she gets playful she play bows at him and hops around him like she's on springs and he just stares at her.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

As a slight derail, the nerd in me loves your dogs' names.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Have fun with that :) Kaidan just finished last week and I couldn't be happier. We're cleaning the entire house tonight because of it. I have some pictures of a couple days where his shedding was at it's worst so if I can find them I'll post them in my upcoming picture dump.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan photo dump!

First day (hence the choke collar that came on him :rolleyes:)

In Eris' crate

First Haircut (and by that I mean bath at the groomers)

Grumpy old man dog

Idiot dog

:ohdear:

Smallest Huskyball

:3::3::3::3::3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh I know. He finished the undercoat and we got him groomed today (pictures tomorrow probably haha) and he still sheds a bit of fur when you pet him for a while. It seems to take him about 4-5 weeks to get it all out, but you can see a 7-10 day period where it's at its worst and that meant like 2-3 brushing sessions a day and vacuuming the house literally every day. He's lucky he's so damned cute :argh:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Waffleimages is the standard, though it was down a few days ago when I posted that picture dump. Tinypic is okay too, and of course your own photobucket account, and probably flickr but I'm not positive on that.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yes I believe WolfBag is going to cover Vlcaks and many even Saarloos in an upcoming post. I can't wait :)

Edit: and that dog is beautiful :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

YES! That is SO going to be the title now. :3: hahahahaha! Seriously, all those parts were going to be together. It's the hybrid part that I'm stuck on, I know all the stuff I want to say, but I just can't manage to have it make sense. :confused: I promise I'll get it done, though!

Let me know if you need help on any of that!

Sock Weasel posted:

Basically he's an 8 month old Vlack / Czechoslovakian Wolfdog who I will definitely give you guys a write up of once I'm not half asleep :3:

He looks awesome, out of curiosity what kennel is he from?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

I hear a lot of times of people having a hard time of ignoring the dog that jumps all over them when they come in the door because the jumping just means he loves you and isn't rude and why wouldn't EVERYONE love that?!

"But I like when he jumps on me!"

WolfensteinBag posted:

:neckbeard: That's awesome!!!!!! Odd question, is he from Galomy Oak, by any chance? He's the right age and has the right face for it...

That's what I was thinking too. That was a small litter though right? I think there were only 4 (including Luna) but I'm not positive. I was just looking at the pictures of them the other night :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I'm familiar with Crying Wolf, though Wolf Lore just rings a bell and I'll have to look it up to see if I've seen much about them before. Thanks for the information! I can't wait to see what you say about him, my next dog is going to be a Vlcak, we're just not quite sure when that's going to be just yet.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

Random Buddy photo dump! :3:

We're going to have to have a contest for smallest husky ball. :colbert:

Yessss. It's pretty close. I'll have to dig up and take small Kaidanball pictures. He has been doing it more lately but he still oozes out quickly. The picture of Buddy leaning out of his crate is so damned :3: though.

Also, :hfive: on the Baroness vid.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

You'd also really want to consider testing for DM and Dwarfism. :)

If you decide to get the tests done, I think at least DM needs to be a necessity. As you can see from the thread, there's a big push in the community right now to get as many dogs tested for DM as possible. One of those threads has a great explanation of how it works to be clear, a carrier, and affected.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

As far as NI's go, I think they are pretty much a wreck everywhere :(

I can't comment much on those pictures because I'm not super well versed in their conformation yet. Also, going through puppy development he could go in and out of good conformation, I think and it's difficult to tell without a proper stack. He's really damned adorable though.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Rixatrix posted:

Also, I have a surplus of pics of Primitive Breeds doing Agility. To alleviate this, have an Agility Malamute:

"I'm the prettiest agility dog" :3:

Edit: To contribute, some agility Vlcaks

rivals fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 16, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

:neckbeard: AKITA PUP. Would you mind posting the breeder's page or even just where in CA he is? I need to know where in CA there are cute, well bred Akitas, you know, for science.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Holy poo poo they're beautiful. I've never seen most of those colors before. Also that first image on the breeder's site is awesome.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

That's because these are Japanese Akitas, and Akitas that most people have seen are the American type, where they are broader, stockier, have a more bear-like face and the pinto markings is not only more common but accepted, where in JAs, it's a serious fault (lots of huffy reasons for this I'll cover in my post.)

Yeah I had never known that until you mentioned it earlier in the thread. Of the Japanese ones I had only seen the red color before. After looking at this though I'll agree I prefer them over the American ones.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Paisley I now hate you for that. You have rekindled my girlfriend's love for Akitas.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

I love that Japanese Akitas are like giant shibas.

This. They look like Shibas on steroids, I love it. I am now obsessed with the brindle varieties as well :swoon: I'm very much looking forward to the post!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Just a few additional points about Vlcaks (quickly becoming my favorite breed, there is a large chance that my next dog will be one and in the near future). They are incredibly versatile dogs. They obviously excel in trailing work, as they were bred for border patrol, and I believe Italy uses them commonly for SAR tasks. I think I've read about a few people getting obedience and rally titles on them, and I know many people do agility with theirs, though I'm not sure how they fare in competition when it comes to titling, etc. From what I've read, they don't have much of the herding instinct, I could be wrong on this though but I want to say I've seen people mention that it's not really worth it to even go for with them.

Many of them are also good Schutzhund candidates though as I understand there is a slight rift in the community as to whether or not people should continue working their CsV's in SchH. As I understand it, when it comes to this breed you need the exact right temperament for it because if they are a little too "wolfy" in temperament (shy, standoffish, nervous or possibly too independent) and you work on bitework with them, you could have a very bad outcome. WolfBag please correct me or add to this if I'm off base anywhere :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Okay thanks. I thought the independent part was right and the shyness sounded about right but I guess I was off on that. :downs:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Take all the time you need. The last thing I need right now is more reason to want to go adopt that Akita girl :smith:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

That doesn't look at all like a CsV to me... :confused: Hard to tell with just the head, though.

It's funny, though, I was JUST wondering this morning how they teach dogs to growl on command for things like movies. Obviously there has to be a safe way to do it. :iiam:

The mask looks off for sure, I really don't think it is. I do agree with a life less, though. The overall behavior worries me. A lift lip would be pretty adorable but I'd have no clue where to start. Then I could make Kaidan show off his giant, enamel-less teeth :haw:/:smith:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan is so wise as he looks out over his land (the yard) from his throne (the porch) each night.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

:3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

:neckbeard:!

I love Buddy photospams. :3:

Me too! I love that trick video, he reminds me of Kaidan so much. He's like, "Agh fine I'll do the damned trick just give me the food" *rolls over half way* "There, is that good enough". Oh rear end in a top hat dogs, how I love you :3: I wish we had anything like that here but instead all we get are the wiener dog races this last weekend :downs: Luckily there's a Husky club where we're moving (called BASH - Bay Area Siberian Huskies :3:) that has monthly events so I think we'll get involved with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Thor is adorable :neckbeard: We need more pictures.

• Locked thread