Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
:neckbeard: AKITAS. Really great article pfox. I never knew about the dog fighting stuff which was super interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

a life less posted:

Now I really want one. Is it bad that I prefer the heavier appearance of the American Akitas?

Yes :colbert:

Okay, no they are still adorable :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Sadly there have been updates to that JA girl I found on petfinder and now she's listed as not good with other dogs either :sigh: I hope she finds a good home.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

He does get quite a lot of attention, even from those who aren't dog people.

He's a very handsome boy. It's really funny, prior to adopting Kaidan even after doing a ton of research on the differences between Huskies and Mals, I really couldn't tell quickly based on pictures or anything if a given dog was a Husky or Malamute (unless their size was very obviously one way or the other). For whatever reason, maybe more research or actually having a Husky, it's way more obvious to me now.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Great post!

Paisley I have a question that you might be able to answer. How exactly did hunting work with dogs like Shibas and Akitas? Were they just expected to stay at the bear/board/what have you and bay until the hunter caught up every single time? Considering their recall isn't exactly what primitive breeds are known for I've always found it fascinating that they were used as hunting dogs.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Another Kaidan picture dump because he's goofy as poo poo. He doesn't really like toys much, he'll show interest for a few minutes and that's about it. During that time we also have to make sure that we keep Eris away because she'll steal whatever he has and destroy it in a few seconds. He graduated his second nosework class this week and they give us a certificate and a toy. I picked out a little green stuffed turtle for him :3:

At first he is unamused

Click here for the full 1028x768 image.

Then he was curious

Do I eat it?

Is it a hat?

Neither, I suppose

Bonus picture. He was sitting like this for a good minute or two. I think he was stuck.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That's awesome that you figured out at least some sort of solution for her though. She's adorable :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

hahaha I love the beep pictures. :3:

Same. Hrafn is absurdly cute :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Tendai posted:

Buddy can be the world's smallest husky-ball right in front :3:

And Kaidan takes offense to this one :saddowns:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

This is from earlier in the thread. This is the best huskyball picture I have of him, but I do have a ton of new pictures of him that I'll post tonight or tomorrow as I get around to it.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Sock Weasel posted:

Early studies are showing that there may be some problems. :saddowns:

Kaiden and Buddy make effective huskywheels, Random-Shiba #1 and #2 seem to get the idea, Random-Shiba #3 and Hrafn may need some time.

This was the best thing to wake up to. It's going as my laptop background ASAP.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

My Huskyball is a little broken :(

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

:haw:

I don't have that many new pictures, surprisingly. I will need to remedy this situation immediately. We're moving in 5-6 weeks so it might be difficult until that's all done.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

:stare:

I love the red coloring. We had two males who went to the dog park we used to go to that were both red and they were beautiful. I can't wait for the videos :neckbeard:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I think Kaidan's hip is getting worse :( I'm not taking him on a walk tonight because it seems really stiff. He's definitely carrying himself differently than the past couple days.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Huskyball in training :3:

WolfensteinBag posted:

Also, rivals, I'm sorry to hear about Kaiden. :( Hopefully it's not getting too bad and he just had a bit of a sore day. Is it possible he was more active than usual yesterday, or the day before?

Now that I think about it he has been a little, I took him on an extra walk (just a short one though) yesterday and the day before. I'm really hoping it was an off day. I think I'm going to wait until we move to take him in to the vet so we can get a second opinion from a new one. Our vet is awesome but I feel like she isn't proactive enough sometimes so I don't think going in at this point would do any good.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oh, Koji :allears:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Have you tried any grain free formulas? I didn't see any mention of it but I may have overlooked something.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Whoops! No one around here has Orijen so I've never even seen a bag of the stuff :ohdear: Don't mind me!

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I think he's dead :ohdear:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Citizen Rat posted:

Don't want your dogteam anyway. (no room for malamutes. :))

Anyone tried tether training for a primitive breed? We're trying it out right now and its been ... interesting.

Once Sitka and Thor are old enough we will revamp the design :)

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I get that occasionally (though for tattoos) but we live in a college town for now so not that often. It will probably be more once we move in about a month.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Oooohhhhhh, Buddy!! :3: That is awesome.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan's filling in a little bit but not much. However, it's currently in the low 80s here.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

I couldn't get Kaidan to retrieve/play with something if my life depended on it. Whenever I try to get him to play with toys, even food puzzles, he just gives me this look like, "Really? Do you think I'm actually a dog or something?" :sigh:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Kaidan got "down" with luring as well. He does it well when we're out and hen we train, but when I'm going to let him out I ask for a sit or a down (depending on my mood) and he'll give me one or the other (depending on his mood, like the rear end in a top hat he is). I tend to let him get away with a down when I ask for a sit though because of his balance issues and his hips.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Ooohhhhhh Hrafn! He's so pretty :neckbeard: I'm a little sad that the litter I was thinking about getting a Vlcak from ended up falling through but it's definitely for the better at this point. It just means that you need to keep posting ridiculous amounts of pictures of him. :allears:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Holy poo poo that's an excellent post. That's really interesting overall, I know almost nothing about the breed whatsoever other than "wrinkly". The FCI standard changing is really disappointing :(

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

That's why we need PI meets so that we can form all of our dogs into a sled team :3: I was telling my girlfriend the other night that I want to adopt two more Huskies so that me and Kaidan can hang out in the sled and get pulled. When I was looking at starting Kaidan with pulling (before finding out about his hip dysplasia) I ran across (I think here in PI) this site which seemed to have good information. Also considering they're only a few hours away I was planning to go to one of their meets. I doubt they'll have better information than what you have access but I thought I'd link it anyway.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

WolfensteinBag posted:

He came with a choke chain and leather collar, so obviously we took the chain off right away. Well, turns out the little punk new how to hop and pull himself right out of that drat thing! :rolleyes:

Kaidan came with a choke chain too. I never hooked a leash to it (we came prepared with a flat collar) but I left it on him for the first few hours because it made him look pretty fancy, somehow.

:allears:

Oh, and another because I took this yesterday

rivals fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 19, 2010

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

We went to a new vet today now that we moved since Kaidan needed vaccinations and I wanted to talk to the vet and his hips and teeth. It was interesting. I went to this vet because I checked yelp and they had 5 stars over 88 reviews they are also about 4 blocks from my house which helps. I'm not sure how I feel about the vet himself though. He advocated bathing dogs as often as you like (and I quote "if you want to do it once a month or every other month that's fine or if you want to do it weekly that works too", I thought weekly was a little too often?). That wasn't the real issue though it was sort of a sidenote that I didn't put much stock in, I'm pretty content with the system we have for now.

I'm a little more worried about his other responses though because he doesn't seem to be very proactive about treatment. He didn't seem interested in having my old vet sending Kaidan's x-rays up here or taking new ones, he took the stance that "If he doesn't seem like he's in much pain then I think you should just stick with glucosamine daily and Rimadyl when we go on longer walks or when he seems to not be doing well. When he checked out Kaidan's teeth, he noted the problems with them and asked if we had them checked out before and I explained that our last vet said he likely had a virus or something (she suggested possibly distemper) at some point as a puppy while he was developing which caused the ridges on each tooth as well as the lack of enamel. He agreed with that and I mentioned we've been brushing his teeth regularly but our last vet recommended a cleaning coming up soon. He disagreed and again pretty much just said to keep doing what we're doing.

I'm not really sure what to think. I mean, if he is right then that's wonderful, the less surgery etc. we need to put him through the better. I'm just thrown off by the stark contrast from my last vet. The last vet recommended glucosamine+Rimadyl to see how it works, and if it helped then great but we would definitely need to reevaluate and consider something more serious/permanent after about a year (which is where we're at now). I liked her methods of seeing how things went but reevaluating to make sure something more wasn't needed and it seems that this vet is writing it off and just having us stick to what we've done. Don't get me wrong, if what we're doing is really the best thing we can then I think that's amazing and we'll stick with it, I'm just worried we might miss something doing it this way and that he'd end up in more pain overall. :ohdear: I'm thinking about finding another vet in the area to get a second opinion.

And holy poo poo sorry that was so long. I'll have pictures up soon of Kaidan exploring the new (and much larger) backyard. :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah south bay now, I grew up in the east bay though and I don't mind travelling a little if it means a great vet. Will shoot you a PM a little later :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Definitely consider getting his hips checked out. My husky has hip dysplasia and you'd never know by watching him walk and run. Our vet didn't even think x-rays were necessary but there was something a little off about the way he'd walk up stairs and do things like get on the bed, couch or in the car. Also Wong is adorable as gently caress.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

In puppy-related news, my rescue might be picking up 8 Shiba or Jindo mixes next week. They're around 4-6 weeks old judging by the picture (found in woods, mom died from a car hit.) Oh my god where will we put them all? :stare:

In a box. Addressed to me. SHIBA PARTY :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Yeah Klee Kais have really no purpose at all that I'm aware of and they are just ~*~*OMG MINI HUSKIES*~*~. When I was talking to one of my old coworkers about my dogs one of them came up and said "OMG Is he a mini Husky!?!? I WANT ONE SO BADLY TO CARRY AROUND IN MY PURSE OMG THEY ARE SO CUTE". :fuckoff:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Steve French posted:

PES? Is that an actual thing that I'm not aware of, or is that just you saying you want to see more pictures in the future?

You've really never heard of Puppy Explosion Syndrome? :ohdear:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Sock Weasel posted:

One year old today, that makes it hat time! :toot:

Happy birthday Hrafn! :3:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

paisleyfox posted:

I think every day should be Hrafn wearing hats day. :toot:

I agree.

I need to stop being lazy and upload all of the new pictures and videos I have of Kaidan. I have entirely too many and I feel he might explode soon :ohdear:

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Why are you so set on using correction based training?

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

Vino posted:

What's wrong with correction based training? I use what works. Sometimes rewards based training works, sometimes correction training works. What would you suggest?

Kiri koli covered a lot of it, but to me it sounds like your dog just doesn't know what he's supposed to be doing. I would highly recommend going all the way back to step one and starting off in an area with zero distractions whatsoever. I'm fairly certain I've seen a life less write this out in full a poo poo ton before so I'll just give an overview, but the training megathread should have it somewhere.

Basically start off on leash inside the house. Get him into a heel position and treat him for being there. Keep doing that (you can even shape it if you need to) until he understands that that is where he wants to be because awesome things happen when he's there. Then start off slow, one step at a time. You take a step and he follows while still being in a heel position? GREAT, click and treat. Keep building on that until he's good around the house. Then move to a familiar area with some distractions (backyard is great, if not then somewhere you walk him often like right in front of where you live) and keep doing the same. It takes a long loving time but it's well worth it.

When he does start pulling just stop moving, wait until he's back in a heel position (or call him and lead him into the correct position) and then continue once he's focused and calm. My Husky was the exact same way you describe, turning around never did a loving thing because he'd just pull in that direction. Now if he ever gets tight on the leash, I stop moving, he walks back into heel position and sits then focuses on me (a great time to have a solid watch command) and when he's calm we start going again. It's taken many months and a poo poo ton of patience but we're finally having walks where I don't need to stop a single time. If you need any clarification or help or anything please check out the training megathread as I'm almost positive there's a lot of loose leash walking tips in there, and feel free ask if there isn't.

Siochain posted:

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not

It wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

a life less posted:

Finally, I personally have never had success with teaching loose leash walking with corrections.

This is another thing I forgot to make a point of. Anecdotal, I know, but I know a lot of dogs who were leash trained using solely corrections and it never actually lasted.

• Locked thread