Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hey, I don't know if I should muck up this thread with 'what is my dog' talk, but Supposedly, according to the foster parents/rescue Cosmo is Border Collie/Chow Chow. But I'm not seeing much chow, I feel like he definitely has husky in him, just due to the markings.

So in the weeks before getting him I was reading more/preparing more for a Chow tempered dog, and learning about how to handle them the best, then it turns out he's the sweetest nicest loving dog in the world, who loves everyone and everything, unless you cross him, he holds grudges if you hurt/piss him off. At the campground this weekend some kid loving hit him with his bike, and after yelling at the kid and his hambeast family everything settled down, until the kid came out of his camper and Cosmo just stared him down growling/barking.

Anyway, Here's his picture.

Scared/Sick at 8 weeks

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

about 6 months

Also, about the wolf thing and dog evolution, what were dogs like Jack Russel terriers and Beagles doing before domestication, are they a product of domestication? Did they evolve into their current breeds from the wolf and/or human's cross breeding them? Are all dogs descendants of wolves if you trace it back far enough?

I've always had a hilarious mental image of a pack of Jack Russels all small chasing a deer, nipping at its hooves. Or like a pack of any dog really, in the wild, makes me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

WolfensteinBag posted:

That dog is SUPER awesome. :3: How old is he now, and how large? He looks like he could have husky or malamute in him, depending on his size. I'm curious, too, to see what his adult coat looks like.

He's going on 6 months now, 30 pounds give or take a few. He had a growth spurt where he stretched out and got all dorky looking, probably at around 4ish months, but I suppose we'll have to wait it out for another 6-8 months to get an idea of where he'll end up. Our vet said he'll probably end up around 50-60 pounds, the rescue said 60-80, but I trust my vet more than them (they were not a great experience for us).

Here he is sleeping on my chest, I'm about 6'2" so this might be able to provide a little more perspective on his body

Click here for the full 643x480 image.

And here you can kind of see his coat.

Click here for the full 640x478 image.

when he was a little baby his fur was real fluffy, a lot like a husky/malamute, but now its more wavy, kind of like my mom's lab/terrier mix. He also has 'crimped' fur on his ears, which looks ridiculous(ly cute).

Also eagerly anticipating the wolf-like/hybrid post.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
I'm still waiting on Wolves Part 2 : hybrid boogaloo :(

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

WolfensteinBag posted:

Man this looks a lot like Cosmo, minus his fashionable crimped ears.

I really wish I knew what Cosmo had in him for sure, I really don't think there's any Chow Chow in him, I do think there's border collie and possibly Husky/Malamute? And now WOLFDOG?!?! (j/k)

We did finally take him to the dog park now, he's 6 months old so we still didn't know if it'd be too early, but he's been up to date on all shots and he's the most well behaved dog ever, and he had a blast! But he'd only play with dogs smaller than or almost as big as him. He's a little scaredy cat. A BIG rear end 5 month old Newfoundland Pup came in, and was the cutest thing ever, tried to play with Cosmo but he just hid behind mom and pops, until the newfoundland caught him off guard and chased him and cosmo rolled on the ground and cried...I'm sure he'll get better though. Anyway, here's pics of his favorite play buddy, Bruiser, some 4 month old mutt. (Lady claimed they told her part Chow but that COULDN'T be true because his tongue wasnt BLACK!)

Sorry if this post got too long. Great work on the Hybrids Post Wolfenstein, I've got even more reading to do now! (I love learning all this stuff about dogs.)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

rivals posted:

"But I like when he jumps on me!"

This is the worst. Cosmo's only 6 months and we're still training him obviously...but when people see how cute he is and want to pet him, he'll jump up on them and we'll say 'Down Cosmo! Down!' the reply? "Ohhh no I dont mind! He's just fine! He's SOOOO CUTE....what is he?!?'

'hes the cutest loving dog ever and he's still being trained, don't gently caress it up' (i dont actually say that but I want to)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Hahahaha, I love how at the dog park when a person walks up with their dog ALLLL the dogs rush the gate to see who it is. Cosmo's first time they all rushed up to see him and he had this 'WTF is going on here...I dont think I like this...' Look/vibe about him. Until he realized everybody wanted to be friends :)

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
The tongue doesn't mean he's chow or not, my dog has purple all over his tongue but really doesn't look very Chow-ish.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

EdsTeioh posted:

EDIT: Somehow I've been on this site for 6 years and never bought an avatar. Anyone in this thread any good at making them?

They're pretty easy, but I can make pretty much whatever you want, animated, photoshopped whatever.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Thats awesome, I loving love huskies. My dog park has a small thing like that on Halloween, though its all community driven.

At our park theres a husky that looks like the one dressed as a squirrel, only maybe a little more caramel/red colored, her name is Kai, and she intimidates every dog there, even though she just wants to play (rough). I wish Cosmo would warm up to her, but she tackled him one time and took all his confidence away :3: Now he plays just outside the group slowly working up the courage to get in the mix, until he gets scared and tucks his butt under and gets ran over...

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Whats a good method for teaching your dog 'wait' ? Any good links? Cosmo's well behaved but I want to make him have near-perfect recall at the dog park which is the hardest place to get Cosmo to listen, at least semi-immediately after the command.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Siochain posted:

Also, just to be happy...after SIX loving MONTHS I have FINALLY gotten Asa, my little Swedish Vallhund, to "down". Yeah. 6 months. You try getting a stunty-legged painintheass herding dog to down. And I'm an idiot for not having figured out how to do it 5.5 months ago, lol.

I can explain further if anyone wants to know. Or post a youtube video of my generally cute-as-sin dog.

I've been trying, slowly and in vain, to teach Cosmo how to 'Lay' for lack of a better word, Down would be better. Admittedly i haven't actually looked for any good techniques, but I'd like to hear yours.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Awesome, thanks guys, I'm gonna try a combination of these in half an hour or so, there's only one place Cosmo will lay down while playing; on our bed. I smack the bed and act like I'm gonna pounce on him, and he gets in a low/laying down play position with his arms all wide, then he jumps up, does a circle move, and lays back down :3:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Cosmo is actually a lot like that, I don't know if its cause he just assumes 'shake' comes after 'sit' or if he just does it cause he knows I'm gonna ask for it next. When I say 'sit' its almost always followed by a weird little gay paw hand motion, though lately he's been 'shaking' on command. A lot of times I can get him to sit with just my body motions too, which is cool. I love Cosmo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
That shiba plant is awesome, can I get some seeds?

Can't wait for Cosmo's first snow!

• Locked thread