Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

I'm going to spazz out on the spitz breed picture postings here of my little Swedish Vallhund Asa. The breed dates to at least 1000+ years ago, so I ~hope~ she can be considered primitive - she definitely has the curly tail! And the attitude - very much a positive reinforcement only, and I'll listen if I want to. Not to say she's bad behaved, she just...has her moments. I really need to get more outdoor shots of her :(

https://wi.somethingawful.com/05/05e978ee9df5f7fd1ce82f1190165bbfdd504207.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/9d/9deec6574cee7d7f5ca933d1c25a6cc8f4fc5af3.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/51/51880b727fb95bc95bcfd5c67319381287aaac2c.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/ec/ec22ed139c85c057981701d67708dba49ba5401f.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/08/081724dac1d267cb95abeb56be3eb30cf8926046.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/8e/8ead88a30129c4d6ae21939e7428c7f5e510a468.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/43/4391b8c27233ba5a90aa1cae4b159af9e9005b8a.jpg
https://wi.somethingawful.com/e2/e25a4d00c1e3612d937bec150c5e60928890e922.jpg

I can post a crapload of info on the breed if anyone is interested, or just PM me. I havn't had her long, but she has taught me a ton and I really feel like I'm not a horrid dog owner anymore!

edit: I'm a tard, fixing picture links and editing again.
edit the 2nd: yeah, so I can't get to waffle to fix the thumbnails, but I can link to the damned things. I'll fix it if I figure it out, I fix computers for a living but the intertubes vex me...

Siochain fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 9, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

Pretty Cool Name posted:

It's called Västgötaspets in Swedish, "spets" being the Swedish word for "spitz." So as far as name goes it fits in. :p

Well poo poo its good enough for me then :) She belongs here, hahah. And the herding thread...and the "you look like an idiot" thread.
Gods dogs rule.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Rixatrix posted:

Thanks! The other option we considered for Rho was Tesla, so I think that says enough about the nerd in us :D Tesla was discarded when most people thought we were getting a female pup (wtf??) Then again, I recently realized naming my dogs Pi and Rho is kind of like naming them A and B, but it's not like they care.

Swedish Vallhunds rock! I saw one (I think) at an agility trial last weekend.

That definitely looks like a Vall. Awesome little dogs, full of personality. She's making me want to get so many other dogs so I can explore how other breeds are...I know I can't (+1 dog = -1 girlfriend), but damned if I'm not tempted some days hahah.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

a life less posted:

Quite honestly, I can't really think of a breed that I consider good for a first time pet owner. Each has its little peculiarities and idiosyncrasies, and they all present their own set of problems if you're unprepared. Heck, my family's first dog was an Aussie.

What WOULD be a good first time dog?

That would definitely depend on the person, but from tons of reading, lots of research, and many hours of soul-searching I have the ultimate answer to that question:

The dog you bring home first :P

But no, seriously. I honestly think a lot of people would do well to adopt older shelter/rescue dogs for a "First-time" dog. If you wanted a puppy, a Heinz 57 with a lot of chill would be good. I really don't think there's a perfect answer for that question - it would REALLY depend on the person. Active outdoorsy people could do really well with a lab or hound of some sort. Lazier, laid back folks might like some of the toy-breeds. OCD freaks like me enjoy herding dogs :P

Also, just to be happy...after SIX loving MONTHS I have FINALLY gotten Asa, my little Swedish Vallhund, to "down". Yeah. 6 months. You try getting a stunty-legged painintheass herding dog to down. And I'm an idiot for not having figured out how to do it 5.5 months ago, lol.

I can explain further if anyone wants to know. Or post a youtube video of my generally cute-as-sin dog.

Siochain fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 9, 2010

Siochain
May 24, 2005

RizieN posted:

I've been trying, slowly and in vain, to teach Cosmo how to 'Lay' for lack of a better word, Down would be better. Admittedly i haven't actually looked for any good techniques, but I'd like to hear yours.

Well, I've been reading a lot on shaping, and reading a lot of "A life less"s posts about her work with Cohen. So it dawned on me - is there anything I do with Asa where she goes into a down on her own so I can "capture" it with the clicker. A good 5-minute warm up, and I'm trying to get her to down just on its own. Then I jackpot her out after like 20 minutes, thinking okay, enough for one day. Then we start wrestling - where if I push her away on the linoleum floor, she crawls towards me and goes into a perfect on-the-floor down...just like she has for like 5.5 months, hahah <smacks head>. So literally 2 minutes and about 3x her daily caloric intake in MASSIVEULTRAMEGATREATS (aka cold hotdogs I had in the fridge from 2 days ago) later, I had her going into a down with the clicker. Now I'm just reinforcing the poo poo out of it and trying to get her to do it without treats - iffy without treats, 100% with treats. I'll try and get a video of it up if I can get over my looking like a tool on video.

Short answer - if you have ~any~ other play type behaviour where Cosmo lays down...capture the laydown part of it with the clicker and treat the ever loving poo poo out of it. Once Asa caught on, she was gold, only took 3-4 repetitions before she started somewhat doing it on queue, and about 10-15 before it was 100%. loving dog is smarter than me!

Edit: Videos are up! Yay my first you-tube upload hahah
The "down" video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IthDc8mW0Cs
the My Dog is Awesome video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aprQIRxPYMw

Siochain fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 9, 2010

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Rixatrix posted:

I taught both Pi and Rho with luring. I just took a super tasty treat and pushed it out of their reach between their front legs toward their rib cage. The dog tries to follow the treat with his nose but can’t, and will then fold into a pretty, collected, elbows-first down :3: If they tried to back up, I just did it in a corner.

Yeah, the rib-cage thing didn't work with Asa. Goddamn stumpy-legged little thing, she could just get her bloody head underneath her body and get the treat that way, or coil up and get at it. I spent countless hours trying to be patient and luring/baiting...didn't work. I'm just glad I figured a method out!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Vino posted:

After months of trying many different things to get my dog to stop pulling on the walk I finally caved in and got a prong collar. I didn't want to use a prong collar because it looks downright inhumane and can hurt the dog and I didn't want the walk to be a negative experience, but I'd run out of options. I'd tried using food techniques and he started snubbing the food as soon as he realized there was a condition attached. I tried the gentle leader and he eventually learned how to pull against it too, and he reverted as soon as it came off. A bunch of other stuff too, including Cesar's techniques. The prong collar eventually worked and the key was using it only to correct when he started pulling ahead, alongside my usual snap (I snap at him to discipline him instead of the usual "no") I never let him get so far as to pull against it. Result: with relatively few corrections he stays by my side now and doesn't even try to chase squirrels, although he definitely tries to stare them down. Ideally after a while of training with the prong collar he'll get the idea where he should stay and then I'll be able to take it off. Hopefully.

I've been using one on Asa for ages, so she doesn't pull to the point of strangling herself. If you want to get around the "conditioning" aspect of it, do what I've started doing...regular collar and prong collar on. I randomly attach one to the leash. I started with just prong until she got much better, then I used prong with her collar on but not leashed for a few months, now I'm randomly switching them. I'm hoping in a month or two to have her totally on the regular collar, leaving the prong on, then work into no prong. We'll see how it goes :)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

rivals posted:

Why are you so set on using correction based training?

Not sure if that's aimed at me or not, but in case it is, I'll explain why I'm doing what I'm doing and maybe someone has some ideas for me!

Asa was doing AWESOME with heel's up until winter, all using positive reinforcement - aka treats. However, its now -30 Celsius or colder a lot of days, and I have to wear gloves. Have to. 30 minute or more walks without just do not work. As the cold winter months stretched by (aka since late sept/early oct), she really really quickly degraded back to her "pullpullchokegagpukepullpull" mentality. And I just cannot get treats out adequately to help the behavior - either she can gum all the treats out at once from my gloved hand, or I freeze my hand and, well, yeah. So, back to the prong collar. I tried doing heel work at home - in the house, she's a goddamn show-ring ready pooch. Step out the door...
And we don't have any good indoor areas I can take her :/ Apparently one of the big indoor walky-arena places used to allow dogs...until too many idiots spoiled it.
So if anyone has some decent ideas for how to positive reinforce a HEAVILY food motivated dog in -30 with thick gloves on - please feel free to fire away.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

a life less posted:

Check out this article by Susan Clothier about proper prong collar use: http://flyingdogpress.com/content/view/53/97/. She no longer uses prongs in her own training, but has reposted that article to give people some insight into how to properly use one. Corrections should not be given with the prong -- snapping the leash quickly to cause pain is not acceptable, etc. I like the idea to use a leash attached to a flat collar while the prong is still on the dog -- it sounds like a good way to wean a dog off. Another idea is to put on the prong, but flip it around so the prongs are pointing outwards.

First, awesome article, just skimmed it now but a full read is in order after a cold-assed-mother-loving trip to the dog park for Asa (yay 38 below celcius with the wind). Second - I'm glad my flat collar + prong approach seems to have merit with you. It was something I came up with that just...seemed to make sense, heh. I'll let you all know how it keeps going.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Those dogs are seriously loving awesome. And I am seriously jealous. Fo sereez. Hahah, such a gorgeous monster. Amazing pictures as well! We need more...in case they all...ummmm...explode. Yes. Explode.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

drat, from above, he looks a LOT like Asa - his summer coat is looking FANTASTIC. God he's a gorgeous dog. Me wants steal? ;) hahah
I <3 Huskies! Yay huskies! I'm not allowed to have one (too big) so keep posting pics :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Okay I want your dog. I am willing to pay 50% of the shipping costs, and will send photos once/week for life :P hahah
Awesome looking dog
And I REALLY wish we had sweet dog parks like that around here :( We got nothing good, my city sucks. Our "Best" dog park is 1/4 block, fenced, with a gazebo. We ~might~ be getting a light so that at night its not pitch black, but that's in the next year or two heh.
Okay, I've changed my mind...can I ship myself (and my dog) to you? :P

Siochain
May 24, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

I need hour opinions/ideas, people! So I'm in the process of starting up a side business doing at home training geared towards primitive breeds. :3: I figure I'm always trying to help people that are struggling with these dogs, and I'm sick of giving away advice for free. Of all the ridiculous things, though, I'm stuck on a name! I want to have it lean towards primitive breed dogs, but sound broader than actually saying primitive or spitz or anything like that. I also want it to sound more professional than "clever", staying away from puns, word play, etc. Just kinda burned out on that sort of thing from the grooming world. If you guys have any ideas for me, I'd really appreciate it!
I'm just going to train of thought a bunch of stuff out. Feel free to completely ignore, steal, or modify any of these:

Neolithic training?
Caveman's best friend?
Dire (wolf) straits? <no wolf, just so you get the reference :P)
Co-Evolution?
Baser Instincts?
I've got 99 Problems and a Primitive Breed is one?
Man's oldest friend?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Oh my god, if I could get away with this I totally would.

Hahah glad one was good.
Go with "98 Training"...99 problems minus the one you are fixing :P
Great "hidden" meaning hahah

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Koivunen posted:

How do you all feed your dogs? I've read anywhere from a cup and a half a day to five+ cups. He's getting Blue Buffalo for senior dogs. He's at a perfect weight right now so we just need to maintain it. We go for two or three 30 minute to 1+ hour long walks through the park every day, and he does a lot of stair climbing at home. He weighs 70 pounds (a lot less than I thought he would). Right now we're giving him two cups in the morning and two cups at night. Is that too much?

Asa is 35 pounds, a little less activity (minus playing with cats which may equal it out) and gets 2 cups of Performation (basically Blue, damned similar ingredients, calories, etc - high quality food from our Pet Valu chain) a day. So I'd run with the 4 cups and see how he does - weigh him after a month. If he has lost weight, up it a tickle, if he has gained weight, cut back. If you need to up the amount, do it slowly, I know with Asa when I went to up her amount last summer when we were really active, I gave her an extra 1/2 cup a day and it went straight to her hips :/ Cut that down to 1/4 cup extra and perfect. Lots of calories in that kibble!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

rivals posted:

Thanks for the suggestion! Luckily my clothes aren't too bad since I changed out of them as soon as I got him inside and started bathing him, but our sheets have a faint smell and I'm sure his bedding smells pretty bad too so I'll pick some up and use it for those. We got some good suggestions on washing it out of him so I've bathed him a few times since the event (as well as using some conditioner stuff to help make sure his skin doesn't dry out too much). So far it's almost completely off of him but if you smell him up close there's still a hint of it there. Thankfully we're at the home stretch and at least now I guess we don't have to worry about there being a skunk in our backyard anymore :v:

Don't know if you already tried this, but tomato juice works 100%. We've had more than a few cats/dogs get sprayed, along with farm equipment, and tomato juice always gets the smell out in one, maybe 2 goes.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Koivunen posted:

I can give the vet a call about it, though. Do pain meds usually seem to work? The problem is that it gets much, much colder here as winter progresses, like -20 and -30 F at times. For the sake of his comfort, should we not try walking at all in that kind of cold? Is there anything I could try to get him moving inside the house?

Just an anecdote, but I'm not that old (32), and I have a bad back from a hockey accident. Temperature swings outside hurt like a bitch - aka seasonal changes, weather systems, etc. Once its ~at~ the temp, its fine. If he's just got some old-man joints, some painkillers may be all he needs, and only when the temp/weather shifts wildly.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

As far as like, zoomies on the leash etc, I only have experience with Koji doing that right after a good poop or when we lived on a property with lots of rabbits (and we would run and chase rabbits with him.) He mostly does it after we get back inside from our walks now, usually when it's cold or, again, after a good poop. v:shobon:v

Hell, who doesn't get the zoomies after a good poop?

I mean.

Dogs...

Siochain
May 24, 2005

WolfensteinBag posted:

Buddy learned from our son, too! We have a baby gate between the kitchen and living room. Buddy noticed that if my husband or myself were on the opposite side of the baby, and the baby ran up to the gate and started crying, we would go pick him up and thus let him through. So for awhile, there, Buddy started making ACTUAL BABY CRYING NOISES while we were eating dinner and he wanted to come through. :stare: It was HILARIOUS.

Video's for real :) That sounds awesome!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

Koivunen posted:

I know that third lid problems can be really serious and may require surgery. Hopefully we can just treat it with ointment or drops, but if the vet says she would need surgery, I'm not sure what I would do since she's a high-risk dog. I also wouldn't want her to endure the pain of eye surgery at her age, especially if she's got other problems. I really hate to say it, but the thought has crossed my mind - what if we have to put her down? I know I'm worrying way too much right now but I'm feeling literally sick because of worrying and being upset with the "shelter."

Don't even sweat that until you've seen the vet. Seriously.
No reason to worry yourself sick over something yet. Not that I'm any better about it, but hey :)

You guys are doing an awesome thing, and it will turn out well. Mal's are pretty chill dogs, and most I've met at worst just don't care about other dogs, as opposed to "hating" them. Keep the peace, relax, and try to just have fun!

Siochain
May 24, 2005

rebounded posted:

Get professional help. Don't "take her back" like a bad holiday present.

Get help. Don't quit on the dog. This is why you rescue an animal. Because you have the resources to help it have a better life.

If you don't have the time, then don't have dogs.

Wow, that's harsh. Not everyone is equipped to deal with a reactive-aggressive dog, and as much as its harsh to say, its not your responsibility. She rescued Sheba out of a pretty shady rescue, and if she can get her into a single-pet home through another rescue, all the better. If the dog is at the point where it has bit people, for whatever reason, if you don't want to keep the dog, do NOT feel obliged to. Its a dog, you are a human. As much as I love my pets, my people family > them.

Don't feel bad about it, do what you can, but if its too much/stressing out Goliath, etc. then ~do not~ hesitate to find her a better place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siochain
May 24, 2005

wtftastic posted:

Hey, you thought it would be an okay place, and it wasn't. Its hard to do due diligence with all these smaller rescues, and you are trying to do what's best for all involved. Good on you, and I hope this works out.

Agreed x 100000. Some rescues are better than others, and its not like you were going to show up there and go "nope, dog stays in shitrescue." You are doing the best you can, and although I know this is easier to say than do, don't stress about it too much. Just work with one or two of the rescues and things will pan out.

• Locked thread