Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.
My husband and I are about to get our first dog and despite saying we'd like a small breed (I grew up with chihuahuas and he had miniature schnauzers) I've fallen completely in love with an Akita mix at the local shelter :allears:

She's already 10 years old and according to her foster family very chill, good with other dogs and even cats, and just all around easy going—though apparently not great with commands like sit, etc. We live in a ~950 sq foot condo and I go out walking/jogging daily so I'm really convincing myself this is a good fit. I know she's likely to only live a few more years and I'd love to give her a good home in the meantime. Is this a terrible idea for someone's first dog?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

Thanks for the reassurance, I decided to go for it and she came home today!

Jade immediately started destroying a toy after giving the place a once over. :dance:

I live on the third floor in a very woodsy area with floor to ceiling windows, I think she's gonna love it.

I can't believe how soft those akita ears are.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

Day 10 of rain in the DC area and we've got one soggy doggy.

We took her to the vet today expecting to have some tiny mammary tumors removed (she wasn't spayed until a few weeks ago, sucks that her former owner wasn't aware of that risk) but x-rays showed a mass near her lungs that they've referred her to an oncologist to check out. Fingers crossed that it's something easily treatable and we'll have plenty of years left.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

Any tips for helping along coat blow? It's been three weeks and I honestly can't believe this dog isn't completely bald yet.

Last weekend was the day they let the dogs swim in the pool. Jade hated it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meTo49ixiT8

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

Oh my god, so leggy and those ears! :swoon:

It's been almost a year since we got our old lady akita and we're thinking of getting a young akita or shibe to keep her company.

• Locked thread