Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Augh I love these breeds, so pretty and naughty. :3: I'm not getting a dog anytime soon but I want to ask about them anyway:

1) I'm a big cat person, always had them. Are they assholes like cats are assholes?

2) Speaking of cats, are all primitive breeds really awful around cats in the house? Do they ever become friends or anything?

3) Would it be really bad to get one if you haven't had a dog before, or are they OK if you do some research and have some idea of what to expect?

4) Pfox hurry up and write about shibas I wanna hear about 'em. Yes I know that's not a question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Captain Log posted:

Pugs are very close to the Pekingese in the great dog tree of ancestry.

Here is a bonus picture of a 19th century Pekingese or "Chinese Happa Dog." It is so incredibly downsy. Wanna meet that dog!

OK that's a stuffed dog and not a living one right? 'Cuz if that's a living dog . . . :smith:

Anyway, I thought I'd heard that these types of breeds tend to be more fastidious than the average dog, is that true? Like, I heard that they wash themselves sometimes. Y'know, just to add to the "ways primitives are like cats" list.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Vino posted:

Hi everybody. I own a black Labrador.

Before you kick me out of the thread, I read the first post and I think my dog acts more like a primitive breed than like a Labrador. He never does the attention seeking most labs do. He only comes when I call him if he doesn't have something he'd rather be doing. He adores being outdoors and going on runs, he needs a lot of exercise and he could run all day if I wanted to. You literally can't keep him away from the front door if someone is going in or out. He likes new people but is really only interested in smelling them. He plays very rough and his favorite game is the neck biting game. I got him at a shelter and while he looks like a lab he doesn't act like one at all. His coat is a big too shaggy and thick for a lab anyway.

I wouldn't have it any other way. My neighbor's attention whore lab mix can kiss my rear end, I picked this one when he was 2 months old specifically because in the visiting room he didn't seem to give a poo poo about me. That's my kinda dog, for some reason. I've been training hi myself and he's now fully socialized for other people and dogs, and has no aggression problems. He's still only 8 months so were working on pulling during runs and respecting new people's space, but he gets better every day.

Long story short I'm going to hang out more in this thread because I think my dog fits better there than in whatever labrador thread I'm sure is out there.

Requesting pics of this mythical not-giving-a-poo poo lab. If he's actually a mix, people here could probably help identify what he is and which part made him such a lovable aloof rear end in a top hat.

• Locked thread