Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Are you loathsome tonight?
While not exactly in the same vein as the other classic ancient breeds like huskies or akitas, I have tibetan terriers and they're rad.

They were used as guard dogs and farm dogs and yak herders, but they were also considered a good luck charm and revered as companions to the Buddhist monks of the mountains. They're cunning and stubborn as gently caress and very strong-willed but sweet-tempered, and were affectionately known in Tibet as the Little People, because, yeah, gonna do their own thing gently caress youuu. They're very vocal. Very. Oh my god shut up.

This is Ru, my current dog. He is the sweetest little jackass.

The very picture of indignance.

(His coat's pretty short right now because he doesn't cope with heat very well.)

This is my old girl, Mills, who died about a year ago. She was a ridiculous grotbag, much more in the vein of the old guard/herding dogs. Absolutely lionhearted.

dog or rug?

liwet fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Sep 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

I'm glad you posted this! I think people forget a lot that breeds like this are actually primitive dogs, because they look NOTHING like wolves. It's really the temperament that counts in these cases, even though they're smaller dogs, they're NOTHING like dogs bred just for companionship. I have a client at work who's owned a few retired show lhasas, and this past year she rescued a shih tzu. She's constantly on about how everyone things they should all have that lovey-dovey shih tzu temperament, when lhasas are bred to be one person, aloof watch dogs.

I forget it myself pretty often because yeah, they're relatively small (just over knee-high) and hairy and they look like teddy bears and Ru is at this moment sitting on my foot and headbutting me in the knee because I am using my hand to type rather than to pet him*, but when I come up against their stubbornness I remember pretty quickly, ha.

Anyway. If anyone's interested in more information on tibetans, their history and background is pretty cool, if a bit loaded with mysticism.

*if I continue to ignore him he will stand up on his hindlegs and start smacking me in the chest with his paws.

liwet fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Sep 2, 2010

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

GundanianBlitz posted:

"A cat? Where?!"

All about that tail wagggg :3:

Constant, constant grumbling: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyPPMlAO960

liwet
Jan 1, 2006

Ru likes to sleep across the front door so nothing ever happens without him knowing about it.

Eating bamboo and showing off his huge snowshoe feet.

• Locked thread