Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Hooray fuzzbutt pictures!

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Before and after shots to illustrate the hair explosion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

WolfensteinBag posted:

Warbadger, I know I've said this before, but I just LOVE your dog. :3: haha I just noticed the raw steak just sitting there in that last picture, too, I'm surprised she's looking at you in that one! I'm glad you posted these, I have some other fun stuff I need to get to writing up, and your doggy is good inspiration to get it done. :3:

She's actually *really* good with food. Since I got her she's never, ever gotten food or snacks without obeying a command and then getting permission to take it. She figured this out in the first week I had her, when she was just a tiny little fluffy ball with a tail. I can pretty much leave half a frozen steak on the floor in front of her and she won't touch it, though she'll suddenly fall over herself to do whatever I tell her to do (unless it involves moving TOO far away from it, then she'll think about it for a second or two)!

The same applies for doors. The door always shut if she tried to go through first, only reopening when she'd planted herself far enough back. One day she just kinda figured out the trick to door opening is to follow the human and sit down a few feet back.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's funny, because I spent about a year looking at primitive dogs, including wolf hybrids. I ended up using examples of "fake" wolf hybrids to find wolfy looking primitive breeds and mixes to look around for.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 15, 2010

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

My ball of fuzz lords over all in her domain from atop her mighty fastness.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's almost the fluffy time of the year again here on the East coast.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Exactly.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

More pictures!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Citizen Rat posted:

Have some mal pictures. I find the lack of malamutes distressing.

Nikita is half Malamute!

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I think I know what that last quarter is. Boxer. :derp:

She apparently likes cereal crumbs. She just sat there with her head shoved in against the floor for like a solid minute until I started laughing. Every time I made noise she'd jerk her head up to the middle photo and FREEZE and if I touched her, she'd look at me like there was nothing going on then go right back to grazing.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Feb 23, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Help PI! I vacuum my floor every day but this thing shows up and spontaneously generates hair. What should I do???

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Behold! Skinny Nikita!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

wtftastic posted:

I'm sorry if you've said this before, but what breed is your dog? She's beautiful!

GSD/Malamute mix.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

:staredog:

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Behold!

Note the current lack of fluff.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

SynthOrange posted:

You may be developing a tolerance for it, because it's ALL OVER that last image.

Yeah, that was pre-vacuuming after her brushing/bath.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Help my dog is stuck to the ground!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita had a grand adventure to the beach. She's scared of waves, but loves the water.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sadly she hates the hot weather. Putting her outside is an exercise in resisting puppy dog eyes.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jul 16, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I shall not pass (without Nikita following me upstairs).

^ Reminds me of when she was just a little furry butterball. If only they didn't come equipped with little needle-teeth!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Jul 27, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

They can definitely understand commands very early, start training immediately to get the foundations down. I had Nikita sitting for food and waiting for a command to take it a week after I got her. The tough part is convincing them to listen to you for a smaller/no reward.

Also: I see your fuzzbutt likes to splash in water bowls, too!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 10, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 13, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warbadger posted:

Yesterday some A/C repair guys apparently failed to close the latch on my back yard gate and instead propped it closed with a rock. So this morning Nikita got loose and had an adventure. She got chased on two occasions by animal control in a nearby development and avoided my searches for a good 5-6 hours. Thankfully a woman noticed her near the side of the road and was able to call me using the number off her nametag. She'd gone about 3 miles, crossed one of the major highways using an overpass, and was making a beeline for the Smithsonian Aerospace Museum. Unfortunately this spoiled little dog wasn't aware that the outside gets pretty hot and nobody fills up water bowls for you, so she'd flopped over under some trees to cool down a bit and was VERY happy to see me.

So, a lesson about primitive breeds here: Your dog may love you to death, to the point of having separation anxiety when you leave, but they have terrible recall and can make it pretty far while exploring/lost.

Edit: I think I figured out what's causing her seizures. She had another seizure about 15 minutes after I saw her grazing on some random weeds out back this morning.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 13, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A distinct lack of huskyballs in here.

Have a kitaball instead!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 5, 2011

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A few more brief moments of a stationary Nikita caught on film.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

You guys don't know about the mal puppy needleteeth.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Action shots! You guys cannot imagine how proud she is about having that empty milk carton.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

ALERT! Nikita spying on the everybody.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita just finished blowing her coat. The house is suddenly fuzz free.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Here's my beached whale.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 28, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

They're not really low energy, but they're also not as energetic as huskies or mals in my experience. For the first few years it will definitely have plenty of energy to burn and require some good play/exercise time every day (which is a good thing to do for both yourself and the dog!). That being said the dog will adjust itself to your lifestyle to some degree as it matures, provided it is given proper training and some outlets to redirect that energy.

Whether the dog is quiet and well behaved is dependent on the dog's individual personality and how it is trained/raised. The only red flags I see here are:
1) That it'd be your first dog and like most primitive breeds the Samoyed is very smart and will require more effort into training than most breeds. But if you're going to put in the time to research good training methods and put in the time to do it, there's no reason it wouldn't work.
2) Dog allergies. See if you can find a similar dog and see whether you have a reaction just to be sure you're not super allegic. If there's a good breeder around and you're looking at reserving a puppy they probably wouldn't have an issue with you meeting the parents (also an opportunity to make sure it's a good breeder!).

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Sgt Froggy posted:

That is pretty much what I have been working towards convincing her of. I have read the links for the OP as well as a great deal of other sites and materials. While the vast majority of the info screams its a huge risk and not worth it theres a few advocates that then undermine my fact list. It also hasn't helped that the adult "dogs" are a joy to be around.

I guess its time to just find what jar my stones have been put in and stop this now. And of course then pay the wrath charges for thwarting her.

I tried to sell her on a husky corgi cross (syb-orgi I love the bastards for the name alone) but there is almost nothing in the way of breeders or health information yet.

You want either a wolfy looking mix or a Czech Vlcak.

If you want a puppy the Vlcak is the way to go, the mixes have a huge variety of looks as you'd expect. You'll get some primitive dog behaviors and the wolfy look with the Vlcak. And they're essentially low content wolfdogs with recent wolf ancestry, so they're technically what you're asking for anyways.

Here's a good breeder: http://galomyoak.com/

Now for a few facts.
1) Wolf hybrids also vary greatly in wolfy looks. There are very few good hybrid breeders out there, they're the only ones who produced really wolfy looking low content litters consistently because they actually know what the hell they're doing, and THEY aren't likely to sell the puppies to anybody they don't feel has the experience and the means to take care of it.

2) Husky/Mal/GSD mixes and other mixed dogs can look very wolfy, even wolfier than a lot of the hybrids, and make up the majority of dogs you see being sold as wolf hybrids. This is my GSD/Malamute who got smacked by the genetic wolfy-stick:

Note that she's been mis-identified as a wolf hybrid by animal control when she got hauled in after snowmageddon let her hop the fence and is currently the legendary uncatchable Wolf of Herndon according to the local animal control's radio chatter. She looks like a wolf or super high content hybrid but has no recent wolf ancestry. Remember that looking like a wolf can have serious drawbacks, even if the dog is not legally a wolf hybrid.

Edit: Nikita snuggles like a champion. Best footwarmer ever during the winter months!

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Apr 12, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

There's a huge post on hybrids and why owning/buying them is a horrible idea in general linked in the OP.

Get your wife a wolf-looking GSD or Husky mutt from a shelter instead. Your wife will prefer a dog that will look pretty but still actually want to be around her and not rip her throat out.

To be fair wolf hybrids act mostly like primitive breeds, just a bit more extreme in the same behaviors. They're very social and friendly *for the people they know* and timid around those they don't know, not aggressive. I've taken care of 2 hybrids in the past for a few months and both were great dogs with no overt signs of aggression or challenges because the owners had properly socialized them.

The one aggression factor you DO need to take into consideration is "Winter Wolf Syndrome". You do not want to be around an unfixed female wolf hybrid during the breeding season.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Check out this thing I found on my floor this morning.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Citizen Rat posted:

I love it when they end up like that. Best is when one foot just twitches a tiny bit.

Sleep barks. It was making sleep barks.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita unlocked pillow technology.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TVs Ian posted:

You've had Nikita since she was a wee thing, yes? Do you happen to remember how much she weighed in the 8-10 week range?

She was 28 lbs. at 18 weeks. Hard to say at 8-10 weeks, she grew fast.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

This one was caught shortly after the last. Note the puppy-dog eyes. This dog knows it's being bad.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I already have a Kita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

It's bath day!

Followed by a frozen peanut butter/kibble filled Kong!

• Locked thread