Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Anybody know anything about owning Czechoslovakian Vlcaks or other wolfy looking dogs in Maryland? I may have to move into the state for work and their laws regarding "wolf hybrids" terrify me. Nikita's not a hybrid, but she certainly looks wolfy -almost exactly like a Czechoslovakian Vlcak- and animal control seems to make their determination based entirely on appearance. I need to know whether there's a reasonable assurance they wouldn't misidentify her as a hybrid (the animal shelter here did it once!), ignore her listed breed, and kill her.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 23, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Captain Foxy posted:

I dunno man, she's always looked like a high-content hybrid to me, which is just awesome but also :ohdear: for where you're moving.

Are you leaving her in the backyard unattended? If she escapes, yeah I'd imagine AC would euth her based on appearance if she wasn't claimed in time, so maybe consider crating or other methods of containment?

Otherwise I don't know how you'd run into a problem where your dog could be misidentified. If you're there with her you'd be able to explain her mix.

She's currently left in the backyard unattended while I'm at work but is otherwise an inside dog. I've got a 6.5 foot fence and nice heavy patio stones around the enclosure to prevent any digging out, which is more or less the minimum I'd use anywhere I kept her due mostly to my previous experience with a GSD-shaped-trenching-machine.

The problem is there's always the unforseeable stuff like A/C repair guys letting themselves in (and her out) or my neighbor shoveling 3 feet of snow off his deck into my yard (making a nice big pile for her to climb right over the fence).

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 24, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Exciting vacation time!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita singing with the ambulances.

Making sure I don't go back to sleep in the morning (very important to invade my warm spot on the bed).

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I saw a dog here in Virginia that looked exactly like Quaffle yesterday.

You need to show Goliath who the boss is immediately. The only way to do this is to fill a Kong or cleaned out soup bone with a peanut butter/kibble mix, then freeze it solid.

The next steps are difficult and fraught with danger, so here is a picture guide:

My biggest piece of advice is to be The Place Good Things Come From, but good things should always come with a condition. Nikita here had to go through a small routine of sit/stay, then leave it there on the pad between her paws for a minute while maintaining eye contact with me before getting the command to dig in. As a result she is super excited and hilariously motivated to follow commands when the soup bone comes out AND she will now by default leave something on the floor alone until getting a command to take it.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Nov 11, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

That's not a nose, that's THE PROBE. Anyways, here's some ACTION SHOTS!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Really the key is out-stubborning the dog and doing it frequently enough that the reward (going forward) just never happens until there's slack in the leash. When she pulled I just turned around and went the other direction. So while I spent hours of my life doing what amounts to short circles on the sidewalk, it was worth it to be able to put my hands in my pockets on a cold day.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 30, 2012

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Ouch, looking at the x-ray that must be really painful to walk around. On the plus side it looks like there's still a decent amount of muscle mass on the affected leg, so hopefully recovery won't be too long/painful. Do you know which technique they're going to use to correct it?

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 10, 2013

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

rivals posted:

Today is one week since Kaidan's surgery. His recovery is going well but he's a big doof who can't figure out how to fall asleep with a cone on so he's basically nocturnal at this point. Until his stitches come out next Friday, we are watching him 24/7 except when we're asleep. Thankfully life will get much easier at that point. He's recovering very quickly and has been pushing his limits of what we can allow him to do physically every since we brought him home.

Has he figured out that crate + cone = musical instrument yet?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita in what my wife now calls the Nikita Lounge.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Xun posted:

So how often do you guys think it's actually true when someone claims their dog is actually ~half wolf~ or coyote or something?

Usually not true. Most of the ones I've seen claimed as wolf hybrids don't actually have wolfy traits but are GSD/Mal/Husky mixes. Some of those with wolfy traits (natural agouti coloration, pre-caudal gland, big feet/head, limb length, brush tail, full coat, etc.) like Nikita, have no recent wolf ancestry.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Sep 16, 2016

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nikita passed away today at 8 years old. It was very sudden, we came home and she was breathing heavily. Turned out she was leaking air from her lungs. My wife and I were with her until the end.

She was a very good dog and neither of us can believe she is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Cless Alvein posted:

Omg I'm sorry! Any idea what caused the whole lungs leaking thing?

No idea. They found no signs of physical trauma and called it a spontaneous pneumothorax. We had zero warning, her last vet checkup was less than a month ago and turned up no problems at all.

We left for a 2 day vacation on Friday with Nikita in the care of my sister in law (who is great with her), who was coming by twice a day to top off water, feed her, and walk/play with her. She told us Nikita was very well behaved Saturday evening. We came back Sunday morning and found her struggling hard for every breath. 2 vets and 3 hours later it was all over. Basically a waking nightmare, we wish we had more time to say goodbye.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 30, 2017

• Locked thread