Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i've never heard the word quondam before, and ive heard a lot of god dang words my friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah like im gonna listen to a podcast as long as the goofy movie when I can just watch the goofy movie. like I need to be told about the relevance of goofy dressing like a woman when.... when its already affected me...... so much.........

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

Uh the amount of time that's passed is the entire point of choosing that example.

As in "Oh hey, movies haven't gotten any smarter about this poo poo than they were 20 years ago, that's pathetic".

have you ever heard of priscilla queen of the desert

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

well, raspy trashfucker, since you asked, nothing bothers me about it.

Drag doesn't bother me in the slightest when it's done respectfully. The example in this movie makes drag look to be a bad thing and that those who do it are tricksters and hucksters looking merely to fool. In most cases this is not true. Transvestites and all people of trans lifestyles should not be the butt of a joke, but this movie took the cheap way out and made humor at their expense.

Thanks for your question, raspy trashfucker.

how do you feel about silence of the lambs

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

I just think it's so weird because he's simultaneously saying both "Well, of course women should be able to wear whatever they want." and "Shouldn't have worn that if she didn't wanna get raped"

oh, I thought you were highlighting what here would be considered an aberrant opinion being written by a Pulitzer winning film critic, exposing the gulf in attitude between the morons who write stern socially conscious criticism and the genius who loved titties and wrote beyond the valley of the dolls.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im sorry to have annoyed someone intentionally lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Unless that something is your posts, apparently.

yeah rooders constantly getting lowtax to restate the harassment rules on his behalf

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey now don't scare him off, we need to encourage as much comic book movie discussion as possible from Current Releases because there's nothing funnier than when they spend half the review stroking their chins going 'hrm yes but is scene where Captain America stands up not a direct metaphor for the holocaust?' or write entire reviews devoted to the idea of Spider-Man being about Peter getting cucked.

lol........... cucked

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
and its my post atop them all

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
cool dichotomy bro,

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
gone girl was a good movie i just saw it and liked it a lot

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

th1nk posted:

Thank you for clarifying this, I woke up in a cold sweat multiple times last night, screaming "IS THE SCENE WHERE A BEAR WEARS A DRESS I JUNGLE BOOK GOOD, OR IS IT BAD!!!!!!!" and I assume a great number of other posters in this forum were also seriously troubled by this matter to varying degrees.

If I may make one further request of your brilliant analytical mind and stunning, nay, inspiring grasp of the appeal of various mediums, who would you consider the target audience for Current Releases, and how does this audience compare to that of the rest of the front page? If you believe they are similar, could you explain the ways in which both appeal to this audience, with a focus on current releases. In this case, I would also be interested to hear whether or not you would agree that there is nonetheless a marked difference in tone between the two, and why this does not affect their target audiences. If they are not similar, what are your arguments as to why this inconsistency is superior to the relatively consistent tone used by the vast majority of similar websites, and how large would you consider these two audiences relative to each other.

Finally,

Your use of the phrase "manic street preacher" here is something I find, for lack of a better word, problematic. As a fan of the band "Manic Street Preachers", I was considering changing my username to the title of one of their songs at some point in the near future as to escape the association of my name with the powerful and sick burns you dropped on me earlier in this thread, but now I am in two minds about doing so. If you could avoid this in future it would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

That is all.

tahts f*cked up

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you jam a coke bottle up your cooter, the theatre might give you a free ticket to see another movie.

they wont.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Hmmmm..... I wonder if 7-11 will take this Coke bottle back when it's in this.... condition.

they wont.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i just saw highlander and it was definitely about gay sex.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
goldmine i guess

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the 9/11 allusion analysis is the straight faced honest opinion, and the part where its supposed to be a joke is when he acts personally affronted, so both readings are true

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Pirate Jet posted:

He actually really really was.

he won the only Pulitzer for film crit moron

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
sure criticism is subjective but who are you gonna believe, literally the most esteemed film critic of all time or a literal retard.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im sorry to have called u a retard but im eberts widow and wont take this slander.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Well, I'm not seeing any new reviews so let's just discuss something else. Something specific instead of the vague theory of criticism that's so poorly defined that even people arguing with each other aren't even sure what their argument is.

What happens if we divorce the idea of social justice from just the general absurdities of the plot? The review in question doesn't even mention MRAs until right near the end. Until that point the criticism is mainly just over how stupid and incomprehensible the character actions are. You seem to be suggesting that we should give the movie a wide berth on the satirical element, but I think at some point we need to acknowledge that not everything is a secret satire and should probably be evaluated on some level on how most people are actually likely to interpret it, not just those of us with secret film decoder rings.

Like, to bring up a random CineD anecdote, way back someone was insisting that True Lies can't possibly be racist in regards to its depiction of Arabs because it's an over-the-top parody. And it's points like this where the whole parody/satire/pastiche problem can be an issue because such an argument seems to be stating that it's impossible for any movie to be racist/sexist/whatever as long as it has jokes or is sufficiently absurd.

whats more sexist, a woman who is unusually villainous and exploitative or saying that women cant be unusually villainous and exploitative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

Where is everyone getting the idea that the review said women villains can't be unusually villainous and exploitative? Was I reading it with really weird goggles or something? What I got was "the woman villain as portrayed in this film is a delusional MRA stereotype written with no sense of self-awareness".

Now, you can disagree as to whether or not this is actually the case (I haven't seen the movie so I can't judge). But you seem to be saying that simply suggesting the portrayal is problematic at all is The Real Sexism.

i dont think u have seen the film.

• Locked thread