Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Y-Hat posted:

Maybe it's just me, but when I watch a Godzilla movie, I want to watch a big goddamn lizard destroying poo poo and/or fighting other monsters first and foremost and the human element to have a secondary role. All the political/social/whatever aspects about the storyline aside, the fact that Godzilla only appears an hour into the movie is why I won't watch it. People are saying it's like Jaws in that aspect, but those are two different movie creatures, and Godzilla should have been treated as such.

You have probably never watched an actual Kaiju film. They're all a boring slow burn to a slow paced, clumsy looking fight at the end. So this movie is pretty much spot on for the genre.

It's funny how Ian mentioned his review of Skyline, which was probably the review I most disagreed with before this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

CowOnCrack posted:

Then there is all of this creepy military poo poo. It's like, OK, here comes the US military to save us. It's everywhere! SWAT! FEMA! Navy Seals! Martial law, cool gadgets, call signs and lingo, Hoorah. Even though you know they aren't doing poo poo to the monsters, the movie is still full of men and women in uniform fighting and dying to save us. I have the highest respect for men and women in uniform, but this movie in my eyes amounts to a prostitution and exploitation of them more than anything else.

I was in the military, I don't feel like they were prostitutes in this movie. I wonder, twelve years after Pearl Harbor, were people crying about every boat that sank in a movie?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

CowOnCrack posted:

How about less than 5 years after they make a movie trivializing destruction of US Navy boats by Japanese planes?

I guess maybe disaster exploitation doesn't exist, but I feel it does. Are movies are free to use realistic destruction mimicking recent events? It bothers me, because they were real events with real consequences and the events in these movies are trying seem as real as possible but without showing any consequences. It's the same reason I was bothered by Inglorious Basterds and Django unchained - it's just creepy the way they appropriate really serious history poo poo (holocaust, slavery). I am sure others are not bothered.

You could make this same argument about the Iliad and the Odyssey. Or Earthquake, or The Towering Inferno, or The Poseidon Adventure, or... Funny you don't mention like, World Trade Center or United 93, movies that are literally about 9/11.

Hell the 1954 Godzilla is direct response to the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, and the beginning of the movie is essentially a recreation of the Daigo Fukuryū Maru incident in 1947, except with a giant radioactive dinosaur.

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 03:31 on May 29, 2014

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

COBRARocky posted:

Sometimes I read the Redline review and just marvel at how mad someone got about a cartoon racing movie.

Big surprise, another Professor Clumsy review. Pretty sure he is mentally incapable of being simply entertained

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

The only person who is paranoid is you dude. YOU are the one seeing things that aren't there.

I used to really enjoy CR, and I came in here to what is usually a fairly quiet thread to post about how I though the Gone Girl review was garbage and that ought to be worked on, but like whoa, guess I got to the party pretty late.

I went back through the CR archives and noticed almost every review that I thought was actually worthwhile were pretty much written by Vargo or Jay Dub.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I will if no one else will. Kids don't know that the cats in American Tale are communists or the roach was a jew. They have no frame of reference and are not smart enough to appreciate it had they. They also LOVE to be pandered to.

Only the cats at the very beginning were communists, the others were like tenement baron Ayn Randian wet dreams. Also, the mice were obviously jews as well, leaving for America during the Russian revolution. The dad is pretty obviously Tevye from OH GODDAMNIT WHAT AM I DOING!

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 10, 2014

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

syscall girl posted:

Thank you for this. I feel better now.

Someone get this guy on the frontpage.

Actually I would really like to write current releases just so I can write reviews that discuss shot composition, historical accuracy, character development, etc. Alas, I guess that's just not CR is about anymore. Honestly the last really good review was "The Secret Life of Walter Mitty"

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I just wanted to say I used alas in a prior post and I am really sorry about that.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Breadallelogram posted:

girl planes are the ones with boobs and they are sexy

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

theflyingorc posted:

are you kidding me

edit: Basically, these dummies have lost the point of criticism, paraphrasing Ebert - "How well does a movie do what it set out to do?" Rather than judging the Avengers on "was it a humorous actiony fun movie" he's seriously discussing the film about spandexes punching aliens as "having contempt for its audience." Straight up judging art by what it isn't rather than what it is, which is the most basic error you can make in criticism. I would like anyone who thinks like that "opinion" article to shut up for a long time.

I will defend CR's Battleship review to the death. They're right, it's a great film about trial and error, the essence of Battleship. Also the "humility" thing plays a large in the roll film tbh

th1nk posted:

As if there aren't goons who would write reviews that are actual reviews for free. Pretty sure someone posted earlier in the thread to say they would do something along those lines.

That was me! Honestly if Lowtax paid for my drink and bunch-a-crunch I'd buy the ticket myself, but don't allow me to do this because I'm a terrible procrastinator

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Hat Thoughts posted:

Everyone stop posting in this thread just so Black Bones can't reply to people anymore

I thought reading his crazy poo poo was why people are posting in here.

• Locked thread