Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

im lollin at you're trollin

ProfessorClumsy's e-mail posted:

You losers already have your own forum, and we both know the people there are the only ones who're going to waste their time with your drivel so what's so hard about keeping it in there?:

52,406 people currently browsing cinema discusso apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Vargo posted:

the film was good when it was embracing its silliness for the most fart

those letters aren't even close together :raise:

also 'mr. poppers' was clearly the most fart movie this week; edited the intro to alert readers to this fact, stopped short of making a "most fart movie of the week" graphic.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Like 'Killers'?

Like 'Under Siege 2: Dark Territory,' the best movie either has ever made, by far.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Vargo posted:

Why is there a Minority Report for my review of The Raid, which none of us wrote, and which confuses me with Sean?

Following the link to the review in which the quoted phrases appear, which was written by Sean, is the key.

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

The Gone Girl review isn't even a review. The first rule of critical thought is basically "don't get indignantly self-righteous" and CR breaks it in spades. The Gone Girl review does almost nothing to tell you what the author thought about the movie, what they got out of it, what they think it "means," or anything like that. Up until the very last "MRAs will love it" question, I thought the author was going to praise it for how Goddamn ridiculous the movie got (which is not a bad thing.) It's a list of the things in the movie that the author was offended by. It's literally a ten-paragraph trigger warning.

With the Gone Girl review, I think a relevant question would be: Would it be funny or novel to have an advice-column format with a fictional male serial killer, in which he responds to each query by detailing one of his gruesome murders? Maybe funnier. But to me the presumption that women like Gillian Flynn shouldn't be able to create dynamic, competent villainous female characters is more patronizing and inherently misogynistic than anything about Gone Girl, a black comedy that satirizes marriage by stretching gender assumptions about heterosexual partners to grotesque extremes. And to decry Amy's character as being MRA propaganda is to ignore that Nick is the kind of hapless-schlub husband character that posters on actual MRA sites spend a lot of energy protesting.

In the CineD Gone Girl thread, FourLeaf asks if people considered Do The Right Thing racist because it "includes all sorts of negative stereotypes racists say about black people." I had the same thought when reading the CR review, but about Bamboozled. Is Spike Lee catering to Klan members with these films, the equivalent of the Gillian Flynn MRA argument? Or do accusations like this represent terribly misguided analysis regarding social satire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garbage day
Jun 13, 2008

The Current Releases crew has decided to "part ways with Something Awful." At one point CR was the 3rd most-read section on the front page; as of late, it's certainly been the most Forums-discussed feature!

Thanks to everyone for their feedback. It seems that the majority of forums posters don't want to read earnest media reviews on SA, so we won't be scheduling this sort of column in the foreseeable future.

• Locked thread