Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.
Dectilon 5:15
I may not always agree with you guys, but I definitely appreciate what you're doing. Many, many critics give certain movies too much credit because they're in a genre where bad is the new average. You generally don't, and I find that refreshing. You manage to be funny and analytical at the same time, and that's an achievement in itself.

I went to see Tron yesterday. The only experience I have with Tron previously is the LP of Tron 2.0 (which honestly has a better story than this movie :() so I didn't really have any expectations. I still left disappointed somehow.

They introduce neat concepts and characters that seem like they could be interesting, like the programmer credited with Encom 12's creation in the beginning. He seemed like a right-leaning guy who still managed to appear competent, pragmatic and not a complete douchebag. And we never see him again). Or the program who rather killed himself than be forced to participate in the Games (where the exact same thing happens to losers, no more no less), or the iso's who apparently were different from other programs... in some way that's never really explained.

The script felt like ten different writers wrote the script, each with their own idea of what the focus of the movie should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Remember that thou wast a servant in the land of LP, and that the Lord thy Master brought thee out thence through mighty balls and a stretched out dive.

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Best e-mail I have ever recieved:

Why doesn't Lowtax spend those WTF, D&D!?-dollars on Comedy R&D! :argh:

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

That was a much more apologetic review of Atlas Shrugged than I expected.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Honestly, there is nothing less interesting to me than political discourse. I understand why the political Right would want to make such a movie and I understand why the political Left would hate such a movie. None of that bullshit has anything to do with Atlas Shrugged as a piece of cinematic storytelling.

I re-read the review, and I think I just got hung up on a few sentences here and there. I misunderstood the intent a bit I think.

I'm surprised this movie didn't manage to scrounge up more cash than it did. I thought objectivism had more supporters willing to chip in. Maybe they read the script.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Alpha3KV posted:

Objectivism is all about not having to chip in to anything for any reason.

Well yes, but I dare you to find a philosophy where the majority of its followers aren't hypocrites in some way or another. Except perhaps the Hypocrites.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It's not a bad idea, but it'd be hard to pick something you haven't already seen (if that's the intention).

Something I'm hoping you'll do some time is have a 'round table' discussion about movies in general, the health of the medium and maybe even the state of professional criticism. :tipshat:

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

I just came back from seeing Thor, and I have to say I pretty much agree with you. The two storylines (if the bits on earth can be considered a story) don't gel, and the transition between them is jarring. Chris Hemsworth does a good job, and I like the fact that he's in fact NOT shocked by how different earth is. He may say and do some ridiculous things, but we don't need to hear the oh-so-hilarious exchange "what manner of devilry is this?!?" "It's a TE-LE-PHONE! It lets you throw your voice reeeeeally faaaaaar" or some poo poo like that.

Thor's friends did their roles alright in the first scene they're in but after that they mostly stop acting at all and I wish they'd just faded away.

The Hawkeye cameo was alright. Not pretentious and not flashy. He was just there for nerds to recognize for now.

Loki seems to change his motivations and plans like most people change underpants, and yet at the end I figured that since he apparently knows of other paths than Bifrost (which he points out to Heimdahl) he would reconcile with his brother at the end and let him return to earth so he can star in the The Avengers, but not even that happens. I didn't feel there was enough there to make Loki go quite as nuts as he does, and that makes it even sillier.

I did like Laufey though and the look of the jotun, and even if the fight scene in Jotunheim was chaotic and impossible to follow I did like the exchange Laufey and Thor had there. It actually set him up as the unresponsible, overeager warrior type he was supposed to be quite well I felt.

The mythology itself is shot to hell though. To start, Laufey is female in mythology and in fact Loki's mother. Loki isn't Thor's brother either, but rather blood-brother to Odin. But all that is of course malleable and they had some ideas going, like Odin keeping Loki as hostage to prevent new wars, but every clever idea ended up not delivering because Thor had to go fight some marines.

That whole sequence was and looked silly, even if you could mostly see what was going on there. I wish some choreographer could figure out something better than "run into my arms so I can throw you". The fight with that one big dude was alright though, and it reminded me of fights from Indiana Jones of all things.

All in all, I'm not really sorry I saw it, but it's also fading from memory as I write this and tomorrow I won't give a poo poo.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Here's my Iron Man 2 review. I never reviewed the first, but it was marginally better.

Movie of the Weak.

I honestly believe that the only reason Iron Man reviewed better than Daredevil or The Incredible Hulk is because it had Robert Downey Jr doing his usual shtick. It's a not a bad shtick, but always the same.

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Sorry, but I don't think you do a very convincing 8-year old :corsair:

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

It's nice to know there's someone that can still make light entertainment that's actually uplifting rather than depressing and creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dectilon
Aug 15, 2008

Vargo posted:

...Is he talking about us or Courageous?

Wait, you didn't review the human centipede 2 this week? Then what the hell have I been reading?!

• Locked thread