Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is for the totally awesome and even more totally ignored weekly column Current Releases. It features four totally-legitimate film critics: Ian "ProfessorClumsy" Maddison, Martin R. "Vargo" Schneider, Montague "Legally Sane" Smythe, and Joseph "Jay Dub" Wade. Each week, 2 to 3 movies are reviewed, starting with a paragraph about the reviewer's Expectations, then a mini-essay on the Reality, ending with a score out fifty based on performance in five categories out of ten (also there's pretty pictures with funny captions). Each film gets a main review, and then under it is a much shorter review called "Minority Report" by a different writer (or at least that's the pattern as of late). It's really well-written and stays fresh with the occasional gimmick review.
And to make this post be somewhat helpful for discussion, here's the latest two reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well this is one way to find out they made a movie called Gnomeo and Juliet.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Vargo, how are you posting in this thread even though your whereabouts are unknown? :qq:MY IMMERSION:qq:

Seriously though, loving hilarious work.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just had a wonderful idea. You should review some movies from The Awful Movie Database!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I remember 8 years ago, at the tender age of eleven, I wanted to do something cool to wrap up the summer.
Being eleven, that was thing was obviously going to see Spy Kids 3D with my mom. I loved the first two, and the commercials had some kids going THIS IS THE BEST SPY KIDS EVER so I figured it had to be good, no matter what the Boston Globe said. I remember going to the theater, taking the 3-D glasses, and watching, without a doubt, the worst movie I ever had my parents pay money for me to see. And I was a stupid loving kid. I loved the poo poo out of Max Keeble's Big Move. But this was just total poo poo. I walked out of that theater angry and on the verge of tears, because all I wanted was to see a cool movie before I had to go back to school.

And they took that from me.

And now, Professor Clumsy, you inherit a fraction of my suffering, for you did not go in with expectations.

vvv I was tired, okay?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Aug 29, 2011

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Way to get the site sued, assholes! Now Rick Lowtax is gonna have to shut this place down! :(

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Professor Clumsy, I was sure you were going to link this when you were talking about how a perfect ending can define a film.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
A random thought occurs: what's the highest rating any of you have ever given a movie?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
ProfessorClumsy, I thought Mission Impossible 4 was really stupid, and not in a good way. Even as a dumb, mindless action movie there was only one scene that stood out to me, and that was in the middle of the movie where he loving runs down the skyscraper. Other than that it wasn't even that much of a spectacle. It was just flat-out mediocre at best.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I just got back from Chronicle and it was great, so I dunno what you're on about.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

jeremy oval office posted:

Yeah, it feels like I saw a different movie than everybody else did. Or maybe I'm getting older, so everything's just a little bit shittier.

Either way, you should discuss it in the thread.
I don't have to listen to your rules! I'm the OP! That makes me the apex predator! I can close the thread with a single thought, Matt!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If one of you doesn't review Smiley I'm closing the thread.

Also, are there any Jackfaces in Alex Cross? Because I'll go see it if it has Jackfaces.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Oct 22, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Man of Steel is arguably Zack Snyder's first non-satirical, non-self-critical film.
I've said it elsewhere and I'll say it here: I have never been convinced that 300 is a satire.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm legit bummed you didn't ask me to write minority reports for the Raimi films.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jeedy Jay posted:

It seems really weird to call the new Godzilla a reaction to 9/11. If anything, I'd imagine the supposed nihilism of it would reflect our preemptively despairing attitude towards climate change.
Professor Clumsy sees 9/11 in films the same way some people see their mother in Rorschach blots.

Seriously, how is "Nature will rebalance itself at your expense," your words for the message of the film, a reaction to 9/11 and not climate change? How do you even make that connection?

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 21, 2014

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm still waiting on an answer to

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Seriously, how is "Nature will rebalance itself at your expense," your words for the message of the film, a reaction to 9/11 and not climate change? How do you even make that connection?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TrixRabbi posted:

TwistedLadder and Gentlemen Loser are both welcome additions but I miss Clumsy. He's the only reason I gave Battleship and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter fair chances, and he was completely right about both of them.
Was 9/11 really a game of Battleship or was that just Clumsy being Clumsy?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
What the gently caress happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have a confession to make: I almost never read Current Releases anymore.

• Locked thread