Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Black Bones posted:

Oh you have no idea, buddy. My many jowls quiver under my beard.

:lol:

I tell ya what; I'll take another look at Guzzler's post. I admit, I skimmed over it, cuz it looked like a weak-rear end troll that wasn't really funny, but I am defending the concept of looking at and thinking about entertainment, even children's entertainment, so I suppose I should try to be fair.

I laughed when you had to assert this twice. Grr it's so humorless to think about what Goof Troop could be saying about society! drat you, English Literature majors :argh:

Any Disney product is packed to the brim with meaning, and it can be fun/interesting to puzzle out. sorry but that's just how I feel, th1nk.

Ok let's take a peek at this infamous warlock:

Good start, the simple language creates a sense that "of course it's so obvious!", made me laugh, for reals, even though I'm pretty sure the coming explanation of How It Is Bad is gonna be weak as poo poo

Cool dichotomy bro. No doubt it's accurate, although it would require some counter-examples to be certain. Perhaps they will be forthcoming.

More of the same.

Triticum Guzzler does not like the taste of these nerds

They're gross!

Ha ha ha, no kidding! poo poo's getting downright meta here - I'll give Guzzler the benefit of the doubt that he/she/porpoise possesses self-awareness.

Don't forget, they're gross!

Holy hell, finally an actual criticism. It was hidden under all those appeals to human bodies (they're gross!) and children (they're dumb!). Unfortunately, it's a pretty weak complaint: why is "basic analysis" bad? Should they go . . deeper? And I've never got the impression of CR as "obsessed with id politics", although that could be possible, and wouldn't ya know, we're gonna get an actual example! Singular, so "obsessed" is a bit of a stretch, but still, this section of the post is showing some sincere effort!

Even if one disagrees with the review's reasons, you'd have to be borderline illiterate to miss them. Remember, this is "basic analysis". Sir Kodiak's (who reads comic books! gross and dumb!) post already covered it, as did a cursory re-read of BigBudgetSequel's (who's fat and reviews kids movies! gross and dumb!) review, but we've already come this far so here it is again:

- the movie is bad because it focuses on the least interesting character (a good criticism imo)
- the villain is a mockery of drag queens, and that's bad because cross-dressers/queers are often portrayed negatively in children's media (this is kinda weak criticism*. but the reviewer does tell you why he thinks it's bad)

*It's weak cuz the review doesn't really dig into the villain and how his cross-dressing is portrayed. Sounds like his slavish devotion to social-climbing has warped his body and mind, literately hosed his gender. In a movie where the main character is raised by sub-humans. There could be something interesting here, the review doesn't really explore it, but it doesn't sound like the film does either. Anyways, if the cross-dressing is really portrayed as a bad thing, it needs to be compared to similar stuff, like Bugs Bunny.

Like, in the Jungle Book, when Baloo the bear dresses up as a girl-orangutan to seduce King louie. On the surface, it's just played for silly laughs. Yet the film is showing a hero disguise himself as a black transsexual to successfully subvert the power of a monarchy, while singing I wanna be like you-u-u and it's awesome as hell and where was I?

Right. In conclusion: Triticum Guzzler's post has one good point buried under countless appeals to the dumbness of children, a weird amount of emotion over the bodies of strangers, vague assertions that serious/real movie discussion happens elsewhere, etc. In essence, it is not good. It is bad.

Scrooge prob owns the transport system, so they ride for free!

This is the worst post I've ever read on somethingawful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Judge Clayjar posted:

cool dichotomy bro,

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Remember when Captain America stood up? Yea that was totally an insult to holocaust victims somehow.

I checked to see if this was an exaggeration

quote:

In one scene, a group of survivors in a skyscraper is put into immediate danger - bringing to mind an unfortunate event that actually occurred in New York a few years back - and it falls upon Captain America to save them all; in the moment that he learns this he is framed as a reflection in the rear-view mirror of a ruined motorbike as he raises himself up from the ground. Is this film now putting the burden onto us? Are we, the audience, now collectively Captain America? Are you suggesting that we could have saved all those people if we'd only taken action? Are you blaming me for 9/11?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

It's really really weird. Like, that movie does play with the captain america character's old american values a little bit in a playful way and I guess you could see the rear view mirror thing as a facet of that but instead the reviewer chooses to be incredibly angry because correct politics are important. The idea that the movie is accusing him, personally of something is just straight up narcissistic.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

In my humble opinion the exact moment that Current Releases tipped over into the shrill humorless Tumblr bait that it is today was when they wrote an article decrying the death of "real opinions", by which the author really means "people whose opinions aren't the same as mine". That Us vs. Them,"ugh, why can't these peons appreciate my genius?" attitude explains a lot about why they've been so blase and dismissive to any criticism no matter how constructive.

Lol, yep, no one likes his opinion because society has forgotten how to value real opinions. That's the reason no one likes reading his shrill readings of bad movies.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

Not about criticism as a discipline, he wasn't.

Works of art should be judged on two criteria: how well they do what they set out to do, and whether what they set out to do was worth doing. There are as billion other things that can be discussed about them (including stupid death of the author personal readings), but in assessing a work this is what you should do if you aren't a big dummy

Wacky interpretive reviews are fine. The ones in CR are just awful, humorless and geared toward a really narrow mindset.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

theflyingorc posted:

I disagreed with Ebert about tons of stuff, but if you think there's something seriously wrong with his "what movies should be judged on" mantra you are a very stupid person IMO

Nah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

This thread has gotten as boring as your average CR review and it should have been closed at ArfJason's .gif. That's my 2 cents.

*Feeds your two cents into the katana vending machine and slices your body in half*

• Locked thread