Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jay Dub posted:

Yes, that sure was a good article I wrote. Yes, indeed.

Does it always have to be about you, Jay Dub?

Incidentally, I just finished reading this weeks Current Releases and decided I should finally post about how I've been enjoying the new feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

My Younger Sister, concerning Red Riding Hood posted:

It was so good! A big part of the movie is this mystery over who the wolf is, and they keep you guessing right 'til the end. It's a big surprise when it's finally revealed!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Senior Woodchuck posted:

And as a bonus, it looks like they're going to pull the plug on Zemeckis's remake of Yellow Submarine. Happy endings for everyone!

I had no idea such I think was a thing until just now, but I still feel greatly relieved hearing that it was canceled.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Review direct to video sequels of Disney animated movies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/current-movie-reviews/x-first-class.php
The next issue (?) came out today, and the most important thing to note is that X-Men: First Class isn't completely awful, thank God.

It was cool reading Vargo's review of X3 and X: Wolverine, because I did not see those movies and I can now feel smug knowing I made the right choice. Jay Dub's reviews weren't as entertaining, largely because the movies he reviewed didn't suck.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jay Dub posted:

Which is probably the single biggest problem in writing this column. Not gonna lie, that one was a bitch to write.

I think you understand, but I want to clarify that I was not trying to be critical of your abilities as a writer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
One of the best things about this column is hearing about movies you never knew about and then learning that they're awful.
This weeks column was the first I ever heard about the movie Beaver, and at first I was surprised that I hadn't managed to hear about a new Mel Gibson movie. After I read the review I felt vindicated in my ignorance.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Props to Jay Dub for the Sword in the Stone reference in the Harry Potter review.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Y-Hat posted:

My faith in humanity would be restored if the Smurfs movie wasn't guaranteed to make money hand over fist.

I didn't realize there was a Smurfs movie until I saw Smurfs movie brand serial at the store the other day.

Still, there's no reason to get too upset. Who knows, the movie could be good.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Y-Hat posted:

With a line in the movie by Smurfette that goes "I kissed a Smurf and I liked it," not bloody likely.

Pretend I was laughing maniacally as I typed that last sentence.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Nucular Carmul posted:

I guess I'm just more annoyed at the marketing, obviously I haven't seen the movie so I can't really comment one way or the other on the actual content. Perhaps I'm just too easily put off by certain kinds of advertising.

Suddenly I'm remembering the Bridge of Terabithia trailer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
After reading the Battleship review I have no idea if Prof. Clumsy actually liked the film or if the positive review was just a joke. I seriously have no idea if it was parody or not.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I only know of AL:VH because I read the review a day or two ago. I now recently returned from viewing it.

It was absolutely fantastic, and I share Professor Clumsy's adoration of the film.

One thing I would like to add to his review is that the film can be ridiculous as it is meaningful. Maybe it's unnecessary when the film is titled "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," but I don't think it adequately conveys the proficiency and depth of it's ridiculousness.

It's one thing to have a movie where Abe Lincoln kills vampires with an axe, but it's another to have a dramatic silhouette of the man walking toward the camera--filmed at a 90' angle so he fits on the screen, or to give his axe an "alt fire."

AL:VH is a film that goes the extra mile, both in sobriety as in lunacy.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jun 28, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

"Donovan Laird's Katy Perry: A Part of Me review posted:

These songs, while equally strong, display a tone somewhat raunchier than I was expecting for a film geared toward tweens and their moms.

I have not seen this movie, but I have babysitten my younger cousins. From my experiences, I believe this line betrays an ignorance of tweens, mother's of tweens, and the music they listen to.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Just chiming in to note that the Iowa Butter Festival or whatever is a real thing.

I saw the butter Dave Thomas and Wendy at the Ohio State Fair, and I drove past Big Butter Jesus quite often before it tragically burned down. Yes, butter sculpting is very real.

This puts me in the 0.03% of the population that recognizes butter sculpting as an actual thing, which I believe makes me an aficionado. I think that movie sounds awful.

If even someone of my expertise couldn't give a poo poo about Butter, then who would?

I cannot begin to imagine the audience for this movie.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 12, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm really interesting in seeing Breaking Dawn part 2 now, because I am morbidly curious about the disturbing demon baby.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Unguided posted:

Ralphie was 14 in Ollie Hopnoodle, which was set in the 50s (and should be watched instead of Christmas Story 2).

Is this the movie with the battling tops?
I swear I remember watching an older Ralphie and some other boy battling tops, but I'm not sure if I'm confusing it with another story or if the whole thing was just an old fever dream.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I just saw the non-3D version of Oz because I didn't expect the film to make good use of it. Then I came home to learn that it actually made fantastic use of it.

That'll teach me to see a film before it's reviewed.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

effectual posted:

You can write your own review about the 2d version.

"It was pretty good."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Putting GI Joe aside for the moment, I think the top line for this week was, "I get the distinct impression that screenwriter/director Andrew Niccol is just not taking Meyer's material very seriously."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Punting posted:

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love Battleship. It's great fun. It's just not...well, high cinema.

Not every film can be Dude, Where's My Car?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vargo posted:

(Note also that with the exception of Tony Stark and the TITE crew, all of these people gained their money/stuff/power through illicit or at least questionable means, and basically argued that they deserved to have it.)

Even Tony Stark is arguably a war profiteer.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vargo posted:

Stark and Gatsby might be in their own subcategory of people who were given a lot of stuff, but had to keep working (sometimes shadily) in order to keep it. This is also interesting because they're also arguably the LEAST bad people in this list of movie characters.

And that leads to it's own set of conclusions. There is almost a message like it being necessary to accept evil to achieve success.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Keanu Grieves posted:

Yeah, you guys nailed it. Pacific Rim seems devoid of a political agenda and you can't critique it based on its subtext, that military might is the ultimate solution to any problem, without criticizing the entire genre.

Interestingly enough, the characters in Pacific Rim aren't actually a part of any official military, although it is a military style organization. Only one character has a title, marshal, which is notably not only used as a military rank.

In addition, while the characters are (mostly) well disciplined, they are also not afraid to question their superiors and do not follow orders blindly.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jul 16, 2013

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm looking forward to Jay Dub's review of Bill and Ted 3: Stallyns in Sengoku.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jay Dub posted:

"Party on, dudes!"

"Party on, gaijin!"

*air guitar*

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ian 'Professor 'Clumsy' Maddison posted:

I first discovered my oval office at the age of 24. His name is Sean and he writes movie reviews.

Movie reviews may be rated some number out of fifty, but you'd have rate that in scovilles.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Zelder posted:

I believe she made the intelligent district the evil ones because her professors kept criticizing her work, and that was her way of sticking it to them.

And it worked, I suppose. Sigh.

Tagline: "The professors taught her she wasn't good enough. The lists taught her it didn't matter."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Reading the Godzilla review felt like a validation of my greatest fears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I found out that a movie of The Giver is being released soon and the first thing I thought was, "I can't wait to read Current Releases trash it."

• Locked thread