Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Jay Dub posted:

I know, it's almost like we care or something. What the gently caress, guys?

Shut up you little weenie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Did you ever think that maybe if they generated some respectable content and not drivel week after week you wouldn't run into this issue so much?

An astute observer may even note that nobody makes fun of the things that, say, Corin Tucker's Stalker or Livestock post on the front page. An extremely astute observer who wants to be the change in the forums could even try to extrapolate why that might be, if they were so inclined.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Ruddha posted:

Nobody is saying the whole section is bad. g0m's reviews are good as heck.

The reviews that are written to be intentionally entertaining are good. The ones that are written as far-leftist critical theory soapboxes are garbage.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

woozle wuzzle posted:

I actually read the 5 pages of the most recent "Current Releases" column on this comedy website.

With these two criteria in mind, I dove in: 1. does this review help me decide whether or not to eventually watch this movie for free on On-Demand? and 2. is this review amusing in its own right in any way whatsoever? All 5 reviews failed on both criteria. I have selected a paragraph of one actual review to demonstrate:

Read that; you're not allowed to skim. Multiply the volume by 20, and that's pretty much the 5 reviews. Who is the target audience? Is it performance art for the sake of this thread? I have no idea, but it didn't help me decide to watch the movies for free nor was it entertaining in any way. I feel the sins of the reviewers far outweigh the sins of the posters in this thread, in terms of insults, harassment, and intentional annoyance. The thread title is false. That is my feedback.

I had to use my mouse cursor to trace the words like you use your finger in a book because my brain kept rejecting the idea of reading it. If I didn't know that paragraph came from here, I would have filed it away as a copy/paste from a Gawker movie review site, because it's exactly the kind of smug, narcissistic tone you get from the editor-free articles on there. I figured out which movie it was and read that entire review and it's just a cackling screed about Christians rather than a review of a Christian movie; the author of the article is seemingly not even aware that it's a remake and offers no insight about that, but we are treated to some winky memery about Nicolas Cage at the end. It is an indefensibly bad review and it's intellectually shameful for anybody to think they need to use their internet janitor powers to shield the author of this from being called bad names.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

NutritiousSnack posted:

I'm going to reiterate that the Gone Girl review was an amazingly bad political screed with no humorous overtones and it's sad whoever wrote it didn't have the courage to take their stance out in the open and defend it.

Given that there are five 3-digit follower Twitter accounts listed at the end of the article, and four of the five are people who were credited for their so-called reviews this week, it seems reasonable to venture a guess that the one who wasn't, Keanu Grieves, was the one who wrote that abominably bad Gone Girl review.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger
I guarantee that the only thing the Current Releases team is absorbing from this is "ugh, stupid FYADs are mad that we care", and that no criticism of their reviewing gimmick is capable of penetrating their protective bubble.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Black Bones posted:

'Reading' only looks difficult friends, it's actually pretty easy once you get some practice at it. Good luck!

edit:

I am none of these things.

Whatever point you think you're making with these huge garbage dumps of meaningless sentences, it's definitely not what you're actually communicating.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have a confession to make: I almost never read Current Releases anymore.

Why not?

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Black Bones posted:

A wise philosopher once said, "Be careful what you wish for, because you just . . might . . get it."

Plane represents those who think CR is over-analyzing. Girl symbolizes those who think it's too basic. Unified in their impotence, they combine into Girl-Plane, and confront Reviewer-Buu! "You're not good, you're bad" they cry, hoping they will not be asked to explain.

"How so?" ponders Reviewer-Buu.

"No! Don't think about children's art, it has no merit!" Girl-Plane rumbles, burning with the flames of indignation. "You dumb gay baby!"

But Reviewer-Buu does not hear Girl-Plane, for he has been considering his pre-approved opinions. He smiles. Next stop, upvote city.

The screen wipes to black, sparing the viewer the sight of Reviewer-Buu drawing Girl-Plane into his all-encompassing review embrace, absorbing her into his gross bubblegum flesh.

Roll credits.

While I will never chastise a man for trying to be funny, I will insult them for being as bad at it as you any day of the week.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Y-Hat posted:

The guy who wrote this also wrote the Gone Girl review. He sees a lot of rape and misogyny in movies he reviews.

I think he's projecting. Is he OK?

There is absolutely something very wrong with him.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Keanu Grieves posted:

You're making some ridiculous assumptions about gender if you think neither Ashley nor Libby have penises.
Backing you up here: The One I Love is like a really good Twilight Zone episode, and one of my favorites of the year so far. Thanks for recommending it.

Sorry to illegally double post, but, he's absolutely not making any ridiculous assumptions.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Amethyst posted:

I checked to see if this was an exaggeration

It's not possible to exaggerate with these kind of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Amethyst posted:

Lol, yep, no one likes his opinion because society has forgotten how to value real opinions. That's the reason no one likes reading his shrill readings of bad movies.

It's really difficult to deride stupidity like Current Releases in such a way that you deny them the opportunity to fall back on saying things like "Yeah, it's like we care, right?" or trite, meaningless phrases like "anti-intellectualism" and still get your point across. I wish I had the rhetorical skills to do it.

• Locked thread