Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
I read a review of the Fragnstein which said it has a noticable dead zone when playing MW2 - is this true? The reviewer said he has played with XIM, fragFX, and this thing, and that the best he could come up with was Fragnstein+XIM.

Does anyone also have any experience with XIM? I have a laptop sitting next to my TV at all times anyways to play videos, so I was considering trying that out. I don't know a reliable place to pick one up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've never tried it with MW2, but if that's the case it's most likely the dead zone is part of MW2 and not the controller's fault.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
So, thinking of buying a Ps3 for a buddy of mine.

Currently have a 120gb normal sized for myself, and I like it a bunch, but am wondering if the slims have any advantages to them other then being small little things. Do they have a lower chance of YLOD or something? Do they have any other features? Or does it not really matter which one I get for him.

Also, does anyone ever have size problems with the 250gbs? I occasionally find myself having space problems right now, and have been thinking of upgrading to a 250gb just for a bit more room. Or would it just be better to wait for the new 320gbs to come out.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Rookersh posted:

So, thinking of buying a Ps3 for a buddy of mine.

Currently have a 120gb normal sized for myself, and I like it a bunch, but am wondering if the slims have any advantages to them other then being small little things. Do they have a lower chance of YLOD or something? Do they have any other features? Or does it not really matter which one I get for him.

Also, does anyone ever have size problems with the 250gbs? I occasionally find myself having space problems right now, and have been thinking of upgrading to a 250gb just for a bit more room. Or would it just be better to wait for the new 320gbs to come out.
You can also upgrade the hard drive in yours. I just picked up a 640GB for well under $100. 320GB drives are cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136566

Captain Frigate
Apr 30, 2007

you cant have it, you dont have nuff teef to chew it
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but can DS3 controllers be used as PC gamepads?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Frigate posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but can DS3 controllers be used as PC gamepads?

Yes, with a USB cable and some catches.

The drivers are kind of bitchy and don't always work for everyone. Also to run them in Windows 7 you need to go into unsigned driver mode every time.

The drivers are pretty easy to find Googling.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I read a review of the Fragnstein which said it has a noticable dead zone when playing MW2 - is this true? The reviewer said he has played with XIM, fragFX, and this thing, and that the best he could come up with was Fragnstein+XIM.

Does anyone also have any experience with XIM? I have a laptop sitting next to my TV at all times anyways to play videos, so I was considering trying that out. I don't know a reliable place to pick one up though.

He was probably retarded and didn't know how to tweak the firmware. The behavior of the FragNStein in many games depends entirely on which firmware you're running on it. Thankfully the FnS guys keep every useful firmwares copy on their site, and it's ridiculously simple to hotswap out firmwares. I played through all of MW2 with my FnS, and I had no problems at all... it was drat responsive. Forgot which firmware I used since MW2 is kinda poo poo and I traded it back like a week after I beat the SP part.

HONKER24
Dec 15, 2000

cubicle_whore
Hair Elf

SpacePig posted:

This was sort of mentioned toward the end of the last thread, but what is involved in opening up your PS3 to make the fan stop spinning so fast so constantly? My warranty is long over, and it's a fat.

This web page is made to guide you through fixing a Yellow Light Of Death (YLOD) problem on a fat PS3. Being that yours is still working, you can use the dis-assembly and reassembling portions to help you with your situation:

YLOD Fix Link

Being that you're looking to do preventative maintenance which would consist of opening up the PS3 in order to clean out dust and replace the thermal compound on the chipsets, this link will guide you through the thermal compound replacement (dusting the thing is pretty straightforward):

PS3 Preventative Maintenance

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The courts in Australia ruled in Sony's favor on the PS3 Jailbreak ban today; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11176441

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I said come in! posted:

The courts in Australia ruled in Sony's favor on the PS3 Jailbreak ban today; http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11176441

Too little, too late.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dis astranagant posted:

Too little, too late.

Pretty much, yep. It's like Sony won a battle, but they pretty much lost the war since now tools are being created where you can just put files on your PSP or iphone, plug that device into your PS3, and you have a free jailbreak device now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I wonder if they plan on suing people hosting old firmware versions after they patch out this exploit. It won't work, but it's really the only thing they can do at this point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Pretty much, yep. It's like Sony won a battle, but they pretty much lost the war since now tools are being created where you can just put files on your PSP or iphone, plug that device into your PS3, and you have a free jailbreak device now.

A $200 or $600 jailbreak device, anyway.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I'm really surprised they won that. Wasn't it confirmed that it used no Sony proprietary code?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dominic White posted:

I'm really surprised they won that. Wasn't it confirmed that it used no Sony proprietary code?

Last thing I read said that it's not simply a jig clone, but does contain the jig software.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

A $200 or $600 jailbreak device, anyway.

The point is it can be used on devices that everyone already has (someone is also working on a android version). No need to order a USB Dongle from some shady website and hope you actually get it after paying them $180 on blind faith basically.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

I said come in! posted:

The point is it can be used on devices that everyone already has (someone is also working on a android version). No need to order a USB Dongle from some shady website and hope you actually get it after paying them $180 on blind faith basically.

The PSP port was confirmed fake, EAVPSP is a 15 year old kid and can't code poo poo. There may be others working on it though, it needs a new USB driver.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ham posted:

The PSP port was confirmed fake, EAVPSP is a 15 year old kid and can't code poo poo. There may be others working on it though, it needs a new USB driver.

Ooh right, I actually saw that, but skimmed it in a thread on another forum, so forgot about it. Hoping for the iphone version to be real because that is what I have, and assuming some useful homebrew comes from this. Right now all it is is piracy, so its useless to me.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

N900 implementation was released recently, the TI-84+ implementation is making good progress, and there are some other guys who appear to be making progress on a PSP port of PSGroove (PoC code floating around that shows some bits working).

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Is there any way to stream an online radio stream like di.fm through PS3 media server?

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I found a little chat about this topic in the old thread, but it's now about half a year old and I'm not sure what PS3 model was involved so I hope nobody minds me asking a similar question. I've also found it discussed a lot on the Internet in 2007, but I really want a straightforward answer for the present day and my specific model.

I have a CECH-2101A PS3, which I believe in English means a 120GB PS3 slim regioned up for North America. I bought it in the United States, but I just recently relocated to Hong Kong. I'm afraid to plug it in here because the back of it says 120~V and 60Hz; it isn't marked 100-250 like for example the Xbox is. It also doesn't have a power converter brick thing like the Xbox, the Wii, my laptop and pretty much every piece of major electronics I can think of does.

But I have read on this forum and others that the PS3 is blatantly lying to me and that every PS3 has a universal power converter thing inside it so it can run universally 100-250V.

I sent an e-mail to Sony myself but they are jerks and weren't helpful at all. They said that "each PS3 is region specific and we offer no support if you want to take it out of North America. gently caress you, global consumer."

So the long and short of my question is: Is it safe to plug my CECH-2101A PS3 into a Hong Kong wall socket without one of those very expensive 500-amp step-down transformers?

User Friendly
Jul 19, 2003

Bloodnose posted:

I found a little chat about this topic in the old thread, but it's now about half a year old and I'm not sure what PS3 model was involved so I hope nobody minds me asking a similar question. I've also found it discussed a lot on the Internet in 2007, but I really want a straightforward answer for the present day and my specific model.

I have a CECH-2101A PS3, which I believe in English means a 120GB PS3 slim regioned up for North America. I bought it in the United States, but I just recently relocated to Hong Kong. I'm afraid to plug it in here because the back of it says 120~V and 60Hz; it isn't marked 100-250 like for example the Xbox is. It also doesn't have a power converter brick thing like the Xbox, the Wii, my laptop and pretty much every piece of major electronics I can think of does.

But I have read on this forum and others that the PS3 is blatantly lying to me and that every PS3 has a universal power converter thing inside it so it can run universally 100-250V.

I sent an e-mail to Sony myself but they are jerks and weren't helpful at all. They said that "each PS3 is region specific and we offer no support if you want to take it out of North America. gently caress you, global consumer."

So the long and short of my question is: Is it safe to plug my CECH-2101A PS3 into a Hong Kong wall socket without one of those very expensive 500-amp step-down transformers?

Not sure this will help, but I have an original 60GB north american PS3 (purchased a few months after launch). I live in Europe and have always used the PS3 without any transformer. So I can confirm that (my model at least) has a universal power adapter. Unfortunately I cannot confirm that this is also the case with the newer models and the slims.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

My fat PS3 works in the US and in Kuwait which has different voltage, not sure about the Slim but I don't see why they would have changed that.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Shumagorath posted:

Wipeout HD is 1080p but no one bought it and Studio Liverpool was closed :(
gently caress that game is amazing.

Someone still updated it to 3D after Liverpool was closed :(

Such a legendary studio.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

gently caress that game is amazing.

Someone still updated it to 3D after Liverpool was closed :(

Such a legendary studio.

Yup. They brought us Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, G Police etc. Those guys are one of the main reasons the PlayStation brand became popular in the first place, without them in the PS1 days Sony would have been completely hosed. It's a shame to see them dropped like that when they should be one of Sony's most important studios. Absolutely baffling that they get axed yet the team that brought us such classics as Buzz and Eyepet get to hang around :rolleyes:

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
About to buy a new tv for PS3 use only and wanted some advice. I have heard go lcd over plasma due to burn in issues but I have also heard most games render in 720p and 1080p would be too much, especially since I plan on getting a 32" or 40", Basically i am looking to spend as little as possible and will be checking out the pawn shops as well.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

I wouldn't buy around the fact that the PS3 doesn't render the majority of games above 720p because you still have the whole Bluray thing to fall back on.

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Throwdown posted:

About to buy a new tv for PS3 use only and wanted some advice. I have heard go lcd over plasma due to burn in issues but I have also heard most games render in 720p and 1080p would be too much, especially since I plan on getting a 32" or 40", Basically i am looking to spend as little as possible and will be checking out the pawn shops as well.

Last I heard, Burn In is a non issue for newer Plasma Tv's.

As for 1080p vs 720p

If I was buying a 40" TV now, I would go for a 1080p set. Even if most PS3 games are 720 native, the next generation of consoles will likely be out in 5 years. With the extra power I don't see 1080p as a standard an issue.

Unless you like buying new TV's for each generation of hardware. Just thinking about future proofing yourself.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Eararaldor posted:

Last I heard, Burn In is a non issue for newer Plasma Tv's.

Burn-in is a non-issue, but image retention is still annoying as poo poo and shows up after just 3-4 hours of gaming if the game has lots of static elements. I say this as an owner of a new model Panasonic Plasma.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

evilalien posted:

Burn-in is a non-issue, but image retention is still annoying as poo poo and shows up after just 3-4 hours of gaming if the game has lots of static elements. I say this as an owner of a new model Panasonic Plasma.

Sup Plasma tv owner. I have a Samsung myself and it does the samething. It is very annoying.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone else having trouble getting into the Playstation Store today? I'm getting error 80023102.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is the bluetooth headset in the OP the current favorite of everyone or is there something better that people tend to buy like a cell phone one?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm a little unclear about the 3D play capability. Do you need to have a 3D HDTV in roder to play the upcoming 3D ps3 games?

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

melon cat posted:

I'm a little unclear about the 3D play capability. Do you need to have a 3D HDTV in roder to play the upcoming 3D ps3 games?

Yes, you need one of the new 3D TV's that are coming out now.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

Anyone else having trouble getting into the Playstation Store today? I'm getting error 80023102.
That error code usually means maintenance on Sony's end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Goetta posted:

Is the bluetooth headset in the OP the current favorite of everyone or is there something better that people tend to buy like a cell phone one?

I use a random Plantronics one I got on woot for $20 like 2 years ago. No one has ever had any complaints about it, and I like it.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat

MUFFlNS posted:

Yup. They brought us Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars, G Police etc. Those guys are one of the main reasons the PlayStation brand became popular in the first place, without them in the PS1 days Sony would have been completely hosed. It's a shame to see them dropped like that when they should be one of Sony's most important studios. Absolutely baffling that they get axed yet the team that brought us such classics as Buzz and Eyepet get to hang around :rolleyes:

According to Wikipedia, Studio Liverpool aint dead. If I'm reading this right, Sony still intend to keep them around

"Wikipedia posted:

On 29 January 2010 Sony made the following public statement: "It has been decided that production on a number of projects within Studio Liverpool will cease immediately due to project prioritisation. Our North West Studio Group has been and will continue to be a vital cog in the WWS family, with a history of producing genre defining games such as MotorStorm, WipEout, Formula 1 and WRC and this decision will have no impact of the role that the North West Studio Group will play in the future of all PlayStation platforms".[4]

Or maybe I'm just seeing things because I love Wipeout and I don't want to see Studio Liverpool die :ohdear:.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

They laid off a buttload of staff and the remaining ones got sent to work in the same building as Evolution Studios (Motorstorm series). So unless Sony ever gets bored of Motorstorm games don't expect another Wipeout game ever :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Goetta posted:

Because it's official it has some extra features. It's going to perform better than any other Bluetooth headset, but that doesn't mean others aren't perfectly fine. The only problem is you're generally taking a gamble with any other headset because even the same models don't behave the same for everyone.

A wired headset is still better but that's not always an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
I just got back from the pawn shop where I picked up a 32" 720p that was nearly brand new, got it for about 200. The main reason I did this is the chain of pawnshops around here have a "warranty" that covers all tvs for 6 months and allows you to trade in what you purchased to get credit for whatever you payed for a new one. I just figured that a few months down the road when I have a bit more cash I will go ahaid and take advantage of that and get a even better tv. I must say that this is sooooo much loving better than crt,

• Locked thread