Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
No you don't need to know what happened in the other games.. 4 does have recap movies for the previous games, but 5 doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Paperhouse posted:

Is it important to know the plot of the first three games? I'm in the same boat as Spoderman, I would like to play Yakuza but I don't have the time anymore to play through all of them really

It helps at times but you can work out most of it either through context or the characters going "i remember X person from Y thing"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Spoderman posted:

If I want to play Yakuza but probably will only play one or two of the games in the series, which one should I get?

5 is digital only and if you're at all interested you better do it fast as its on sale until Monday.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you are totally new 4 might be best, it does have video recaps for the other games so you can just watch those. But you honestly don't need to know much, most of the continuing story is just based around some characters repeatedly showing up in games, so it helps for you to be familiar with them, but isn't needed.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
when I try to get my PS3 to eject the disc, either by pushing the button or saying eject disc in the menu, it just makes a grinding noise and doesn't eject the disc.

edit: I fixed it

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 5, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

when I try to get my PS3 to eject the disc, either by pushing the button or saying eject disc in the menu, it just makes a grinding noise and doesn't eject the disc.

edit: I fixed it

This is a common indicator of a failing ejector on a slot loading drive. If it happens again start looking for a replacement. You can get a stuck disc back when it fails but will have to disassemble the drive.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's actually a hole in the bottom of the PS3 (the Slim one, anyway) that you can stick a screwdriver in to manually eject the disc with.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Good to hear, wish laptops would do that too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Midjack posted:

This is a common indicator of a failing ejector on a slot loading drive. If it happens again start looking for a replacement. You can get a stuck disc back when it fails but will have to disassemble the drive.

drat. well, at least I beat MGSV before it died

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

drat. well, at least I beat MGSV before it died

It may last hundreds more ejections before it goes. Don't get worried until it's happening like every tenth time or so.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Midjack posted:

It may last hundreds more ejections before it goes. Don't get worried until it's happening like every tenth time or so.

I already got a bunch of dead houseplants and my own decaying body, I don't need another reminder of mortality in my house

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I want to get a PS3 again and Gamestop is selling 160 GB refurbs for $80. Any reason I shouldn't take them up on the deal?

Edit: Better question: what's the best deal for a PS3 console right now?

Getsuya fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 23, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
My PS3 has just sorta-died. The console will turn on, but the screen freezes, accompanied by dotted vertical white lines. (Google tells me that this is likely a GPU RAM thermal issue and that the PS3 is effectively dead. It belongs to my wife, who got it free from a friend who repaired it, so I don't think there's any point in trying to fix it again, not that I'm competent to do so anyway.)

Is there a way to get my saved games from the hard drive? I've been calling around to local stores, but I want to buy a new console and don't want to fix this one or keep the hard drive--just get the data from it. I can't bear to go through finding all those Riddler trophies again.

Getsuya posted:

Better question: what's the best deal for a PS3 console right now?
Seconded, of course.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
PS3 HDDs are uniquely encrypted to each console, so if you can't boot it anymore, the data is effectively gone. If you can still make it boot, you can backup saves by copying them to the PS+ Cloud Saves or a local USB drive, though you'll be barred from copying copy-protected save files if you go the local route. Trophies are backed up by syncing them to the PSN servers.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

Edit: Better question: what's the best deal for a PS3 console right now?

I think Walmart has 500GB Super Slims new for $150 right now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

PS3 HDDs are uniquely encrypted to each console, so if you can't boot it anymore, the data is effectively gone. If you can still make it boot, you can backup saves by copying them to the PS+ Cloud Saves or a local USB drive, though you'll be barred from copying copy-protected save files if you go the local route. Trophies are backed up by syncing them to the PSN servers.
The console will turn on, but the interface is hosed--completely frozen. I'll try starting it in safe mode tonight and see if that helps. I don't have a PS+ account, so AFAIK none of my saves are backed up in the cloud. (Sorry. I am basically your grandpa when it comes to console hardware.)

Essentially, what it comes down to is that if my saves can't be saved, I'm going to buy a new system for the lowest possible price, i.e. Walmart or Amazon. (I saw Walmart just slashed the price on the 500GB, and Amazon is almost matching it for Prime members.) But I'll go into a retail store and buy one if they can recover my saved games.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

Also, I hope you were using a PSN account, because saves tend to be locked to the user account these days. If you're using a PSN account they're locked to that, but if you were just using a local account they're locked to that local account, which you have no way to move off the HDD without doing a full system transfer. You could convert the local account into a PSN account I guess, but I dunno how that affects saves that were made before doing that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Oh, we have a PSN account, just not a PS+ account which, as I learned a few hours ago, is a thing that exists and does something. I want to take this opportunity to upgrade to a 500GB since we've decided there's a huge backlog of PS3 games we want to play before we get a PS4, and most of them we'll just buy through PSN.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Halloween Jack posted:

Oh, we have a PSN account, just not a PS+ account which, as I learned a few hours ago, is a thing that exists and does something. I want to take this opportunity to upgrade to a 500GB since we've decided there's a huge backlog of PS3 games we want to play before we get a PS4, and most of them we'll just buy through PSN.
If you want my unsolicited advice, since you're buying a new console pick up a larger HDD to put into it. Get a 1- or 2TB HDD for $50-70 and swap out the stock one before you even power the thing on. The process is dirt simple and if you have a huge backlog then you won't have to bother with deleting games and having to redownload them later if you want to play them again.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I joined the PS3 party late (bought a used slim last year) and due to job and family, I wasn't playing much other than racing games that I could sit down and play for a few minutes here and there. Now that things have slowed down a bit, I've played Uncharted and almost done with Tomb Raider 2013. Really enjoyed both. I have Uncharted 2 and 3 still to play, but what are some other similar games that's a mix of action, puzzles, etc?

A friend suggested Fallout but I just couldn't get into it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

we are the Funyuns posted:

I joined the PS3 party late (bought a used slim last year) and due to job and family, I wasn't playing much other than racing games that I could sit down and play for a few minutes here and there. Now that things have slowed down a bit, I've played Uncharted and almost done with Tomb Raider 2013. Really enjoyed both. I have Uncharted 2 and 3 still to play, but what are some other similar games that's a mix of action, puzzles, etc?

A friend suggested Fallout but I just couldn't get into it.
Not really any puzzles, but you should pick up Last of Us. It looks amazing even on the old hardware and it's made by the same people as UC. The nice thing about coming to the party late is that there are tons of games you can get now for dirt cheap. Demons Souls is a PS3 exclusive if you're into the Souls games. You can still find plenty of people playing it online (though most of them are twinked out for griefing it's still fun).

Have you owned other consoles? Things like AssCreed (just the Ezio games) are fun and involve some puzzling. Journey is fantastic. God of War 3 looks really drat good on the PS3 and has lots of hack/slash and puzzles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Metal Gear Solid games are stealth but there are strong puzzle aspects to figuring out how to get through an area without being seen. With a PS3 you have the only system that can play them all!

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I know it's more of an open-world game, but I feel like Sleeping Dogs scratches the same itch as Uncharted, strangely enough--similar shooting and similar action platforming. But executed better.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

SubponticatePoster posted:

Not really any puzzles, but you should pick up Last of Us. It looks amazing even on the old hardware and it's made by the same people as UC. The nice thing about coming to the party late is that there are tons of games you can get now for dirt cheap. Demons Souls is a PS3 exclusive if you're into the Souls games. You can still find plenty of people playing it online (though most of them are twinked out for griefing it's still fun).

Have you owned other consoles? Things like AssCreed (just the Ezio games) are fun and involve some puzzling. Journey is fantastic. God of War 3 looks really drat good on the PS3 and has lots of hack/slash and puzzles.

Yeah, I've had Genesis/CD/32x, PS1, PS2 and Wii. I think a friend of mine that moved onto the PS4 has a copy of Last of Us for the PS3. I was looking at Amazon/Ebay for MGSV and also-ran came across the HD 3-game collections of Tomb Raider or Metal Gear Solid. Are those worth throwing in my cart?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be shopping online tonight.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

we are the Funyuns posted:

Yeah, I've had Genesis/CD/32x, PS1, PS2 and Wii. I think a friend of mine that moved onto the PS4 has a copy of Last of Us for the PS3. I was looking at Amazon/Ebay for MGSV and also-ran came across the HD 3-game collections of Tomb Raider or Metal Gear Solid. Are those worth throwing in my cart?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll be shopping online tonight.

The Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection is the best deal in all of gaming. It's worth getting a new copy though, because it comes with codes of MGS1 and VR Missions.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So after 9 years of loyal service my MGS4 edition fat PS3 has coughed up the YLOD.

I have it at a local repair shop to see if they can squeeze some more life out of it, but it's not looking good.

I still play PS3 games semi-regularly so if this one doesn't work out, what are people's current recommendations for what model to pick up? Is it worth it to get a refurb fat model with backwards compatibility at this point?
I've also heard good things about the slim but not-so-good things about the super-slim, so not quite sure what to look for.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

You're much better off just picking up a slim PS2 and a slim/superslim PS3 than trying to find another back-compatible PS3.

Either of the slim PS3 models is fine, really. The superslim one has a louder disc drive but is quieter when running without a disc. They're pretty much identical otherwise.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The superslim has served me well for the past 3 years. I don't play a lot of disk games but when I pop in a game it doesn't seem loud to me.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Absolutely do not get the fat PS3 (or Slims), they are bad hardware and can break apart any minute. Super Slims are recommended.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
My fat PS3 has been used for countless hours over 8 years with no trouble at all and it's still going strong I guess i'm lucky.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have had my slim since 2009 and have had no issues with it.

Pat Mustard
Mar 9, 2013

macnbc posted:

So after 9 years of loyal service my MGS4 edition fat PS3 has coughed up the YLOD.

I have it at a local repair shop to see if they can squeeze some more life out of it, but it's not looking good.

I still play PS3 games semi-regularly so if this one doesn't work out, what are people's current recommendations for what model to pick up? Is it worth it to get a refurb fat model with backwards compatibility at this point?
I've also heard good things about the slim but not-so-good things about the super-slim, so not quite sure what to look for.

I said come in! posted:

I have had my slim since 2009 and have had no issues with it.

You should steal his one.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need to finish Yakuza 5 first. :colbert:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Got YLOD on a hybrid BC fat twice. Figured it wouldn't be reliable after the initial repair.

Slim since has been great and it's on probably an average of 8 hours a day because we use it for Netflix and playing HD downloads over DLNA ... and my wife keeps neglecting to turn it off.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

teethgrinder posted:

Got YLOD on a hybrid BC fat twice. Figured it wouldn't be reliable after the initial repair.

Slim since has been great and it's on probably an average of 8 hours a day because we use it for Netflix and playing HD downloads over DLNA ... and my wife keeps neglecting to turn it off.

It's miles ahead of the PS4 in that respect which is the only reason why I keep it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I find the PS4 is perfectly fine really, (after switching PS3 Media Server to Universal Media Server), but really it comes down to us having a PS3 remote and not a PS4 one. But yeah, never needed to find a replacement. The PS3 replaced my old XBMC xbox which couldn't handle decoding HD.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

macnbc posted:

I got to the PS3 party late and bought a CECHE01 like an idiot trying to save space and not have my fat PS2 out too. It died within 6mo. Then, picked up a slim from a guy on a PS3 forum that cleans, re-pastes, and sells them jailbroken at a reasonable cost and it's been great and I upgraded to a 1tb drive.

I'd look into a super slim unless interested in cfw or the new (as of ~Nov 16) method of backups on fats and slims on 4.70 original firmware that eliminates the need for jailbreaking.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Thanks for the feedback all!

Fortunately the repair shop was able to resurrect my console, but I'm bearing all this in mind should it not last. (I'm doing full backups of it now just in case.)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If you get another PS3 before this one does for good you can also do a system transfer directly between them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'd they reballed, great. If they reflowed, I'd do the following before it's gone for good.

Midjack posted:

If you get another PS3 before this one does for good you can also do a system transfer directly between them.

• Locked thread