Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010

Bogmonster posted:

It's Netflix but has anyone watched The Gentlemen series? Great slice of Guy Ritchie and better than the film (which I also enjoyed). Also made me realise Theo James is British as I only knew him from The White Lotus.

My in laws liked it which is usually a warning sign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bogmonster posted:

It's Netflix but has anyone watched The Gentlemen series? Great slice of Guy Ritchie and better than the film (which I also enjoyed). Also made me realise Theo James is British as I only knew him from The White Lotus.

It's fantastic if you go into it fully willing to suspend your disbelief, as it's very much your typical Guy Ritchie gangster yarn. Daniel Ings is hilarious and Vinne Jones is good in it, too.

Really hope there's a second series.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
It's nice seeing Vinnie Jones playing somewhat against type but he hasn't gotten an awful lot to do

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Once again, I am mad about TV quiz shows.

25% question from 1% Club on Saturday, so a question they say 3/4 of people in the UK should get wrong, thus I would expect some trickery afoot.

Answer:

I call bullshit.

“The same number of toes on your right foot as your left hand” should be 0 - you don’t have any toes on your left hand. If this isn’t the gotcha and the wording was correct, the question is literally just asking you to add 4 numbers together, where’s the difficulty there?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They don't specify how many toes are on these made up appendages. I have no reason to assume either hand is toeless merely because my real hands do not have toes once I am pretending to have imaginary hands. Given our usual symmetry, the most reasonable assumption is that the 6 fingered right hand has 2 toes.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
so that's Huw Edwards resigned from the BBC, then

40 year career abruptly and ignominiously ended by showing bare bum on computer

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
It's absolutely mad how big Baby Reindeer has gotten, everyone seems to be talking about it.
I enjoyed it a lot and it always reminds me how if someone's stalking you (not to the level of her, but close) you're basically hosed unless they want to kill you

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Gadd was doing the show before our slot at the Banshee Labyrinth at the Free Fringe 5-6(?) years ago (edit: holy poo poo this must have been during that show, he had the same sparkly top on when he knocked around the venue), had a huge treadmill as a prop that took up tons of space and made him overrun a lot, meaning we were late starting (overrunning is a Fringe no-no), and his stuff just took up all the space in the dressing rooms and got in everyone's way.

He seemed alright though I guess...

Also apparently he's banging Bridget Christie.

Edit: I really wanted to dislike it to be petty, but I liked it a lot.

thehustler fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 23, 2024

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey, I actually binged it last week. I remember some positive rumblings about the stage show from years ago, although it wasn't quite as big, obviously. I expected it to be a harder watch considering the plethora of really heavy topics it touches upon, but it manages to punctuate them with just the right amounts of levity to make it much easier to digest without compromising on the drama (better execution than the thematically and tonally similar I May Destroy you, I thought).

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
Baby Reindeer is amazing and deserves all the plaudits it's getting. I knew nothing about it going in apart from the basic premise of a woman stalking a comedian, so if you're like me I highly recommend going in as blind as possible as it goes in directions I never would have seen coming. Richard Gadd is pretty astonishing and I hope this opens a lot of doors for him.

It goes from excellent to sublime storytelling when it introduces the comedy producer who groomed Donny, is sympathetic towards Martha without ever condoning her actions and the final thesis of the piece is that Donny has more in common with Martha than he would ever want to admit, and ends the story knowing that he could have ended up just like her in different circumstances

It is depressingly inevitable that the real-life Martha has been doxxed, though. Anyone who watches Baby Reindeer and comes away believing that they're in any way justified in bringing public attention to the real-life woman who inspired Martha is either a scumbag or has disastrous media literacy

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Adrianics posted:

It is depressingly inevitable that the real-life Martha has been doxxed, though. Anyone who watches Baby Reindeer and comes away believing that they're in any way justified in bringing public attention to the real-life woman who inspired Martha is either a scumbag or has disastrous media literacy

They've also found the writer guy, feel like that's something at least.

I've met people like Martha and her reaction to him at the cafe really should have been enough I think. Also I knew it all entirely before watching it and don't think it lessened the impact of the programme at all.

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 23, 2024

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Forgot this thread existed whoops.

I've just finished episode 3 and I don't think I've ever had a show make me feel this physically uncomfortable before. Like holy shittttt.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Solefald posted:

Forgot this thread existed whoops.

I've just finished episode 3 and I don't think I've ever had a show make me feel this physically uncomfortable before. Like holy shittttt.

Well enjoy episode 4 then! Look forward to your reaction.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Edit: nvm

It was a good show

Solefald fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 25, 2024

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

EL BROMANCE posted:

25% question from 1% Club on Saturday, so a question they say 3/4 of people in the UK should get wrong, thus I would expect some trickery afoot.

Answer:

I call bullshit.

“The same number of toes on your right foot as your left hand” should be 0 - you don’t have any toes on your left hand. If this isn’t the gotcha and the wording was correct, the question is literally just asking you to add 4 numbers together, where’s the difficulty there?

THANK YOU!

This show is bullshit!!

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
Trickery is the left and right thing

A lot of people get that muddled up (myself included)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Betjeman posted:

Trickery is the left and right thing

A lot of people get that muddled up (myself included)

But enough about British politics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
From the episodes I've seen, I think a lot of "the difficulty" in some of the questions is just that there's a lot of words. There's no trickery, it just comes down to the fact that lots of people are slow readers and bad at comprehension.

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

EL BROMANCE posted:

Answer:

I call bullshit.

From chatting with a few insiders, I'm told that the independent adjudicator got involved with this one, and ultimately they did allow anyone who said '17' through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You have no idea how happy this makes me ha.