Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
In some way I want it to be for what most would consider an overreaction but a small amount of people reasonable, like buying own brand butter instead of lurpack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Starbucks posted:

In some way I want it to be for what most would consider an overreaction but a small amount of people reasonable, like buying own brand butter instead of lurpack

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably Lucy's star becoming bigger than Jon's.

She's done Taskmaster while it's at its peak and has gone on a nationwide tour, has a podcast and written a sitcom

He did Taskmaster right at the start and has his own program on Dave. He's also admitted to being really insecure.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
S2 of Blue Lights starts tonight. Not usually a fan of police shows, but really enjoyed the first series.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dell_Zincht posted:

If I had to guess, I would say it's probably Lucy's star becoming bigger than Jon's.

She's done Taskmaster while it's at its peak and has gone on a nationwide tour, has a podcast and written a sitcom

He did Taskmaster right at the start and has his own program on Dave. He's also admitted to being really insecure.

Well she's the better talent than him so it only seems fair.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can understand being insecure about your own success but being upset about your own wife's success is pathetic af

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wouldn't judge him too harshly based on something some goon just made up.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

stev posted:

I can understand being insecure about your own success but being upset about your own wife's success is pathetic af

Bit of presumption about him there

Jon Richardson was entertaining years ago but he's done his gimmick to death. He wasn't charismatic enough to go full McIntyre, and panel shows have become tired.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Squishy posted:

Betjeman posted:

Bit of presumption about him there

Sorry I should've clarified if that's what happened it's pathetic af

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Squishy posted:

I will! And I will also make up more things. I hear he was cheating on her, the bastard! With her younger sister no less!

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

Betjeman posted:

panel shows have become tired.

Glad someone else thinks that, other than HIGNFY which has zero repeatability but at least interesting they have all just got a bit annoying especially anything cats related.

Taskmaster is still decent though but I give that 2-3 years.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I still enjoy WILTY whenever I catch it but that relies on having good new guests. David and Lee drag it down a lot now though since they've told every story conceivable at this point and mostly just make the same jokes back and forth at each other.

But yeah the format feels like it's on its last legs now.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Starbucks posted:

Taskmaster is still decent though but I give that 2-3 years.

Hopefully it lasts long enough to pull off 25 seasons and a champion of champions of champions finale and then that's it.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

stev posted:

I still enjoy WILTY whenever I catch it but that relies on having good new guests. David and Lee drag it down a lot now though since they've told every story conceivable at this point and mostly just make the same jokes back and forth at each other.

But yeah the format feels like it's on its last legs now.

It's designed for you to only tune in when there's a guest contestant you're interested in. Otherwise, yeah, you will hear a lot of the same jokes.

sebzilla posted:

Hopefully it lasts long enough to pull off 25 seasons and a champion of champions of champions finale and then that's it.

TM is now a hugely successful international format. 25 is a conservative estimate unless something really unexpected happens.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sebzilla posted:

And it’s still Kiell instead of Mae.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Panel shows have been boring since that management company got things all tied up and the same 10–15 comedians appear on them all in rotation.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dead Goon posted:

Panel shows have been boring since that management company got things all tied up and the same 10–15 comedians appear on them all in rotation.

Oh I'm sorry do you not like Tom Allen? Do you not want Tom Allen to appear on every show you like? That's a crying shame because whatever you're watching, at some point you're getting Tom Allen.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
rip sean lock

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

There's also a secret second layer of comedian panel/quiz shows that go out on Comedy Central, Dave and Sky Max that no-one watches or talks about.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

There seemed to be a weird thing ages ago on Comedy Central / Dave / etc. that whatever show Jimmy Carr appeared on, Katherine Ryan had to as well.

That was great.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

They should do more stuff like the Joe Lycett late night chat show. TV comedy needs more anarchy.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
He's really good at it and it's a nice 2024-edition of the genre.

Edit: well, 2023 really I think?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I really liked Jon until he did that anti corbyn rant on HIGNFY, now I think he's a massive massive prick.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

josh04 posted:

Oh I'm sorry do you not like Tom Allen? Do you not want Tom Allen to appear on every show you like? That's a crying shame because whatever you're watching, at some point you're getting Tom Allen.

Great, now you've jinxed it and we'll be getting him on Taskmaster Season 19.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
fully aware there's different comedians for different tastes but genuinely don't understand who Tom Allen is meant to appeal to

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

fully aware there's different comedians for different tastes but genuinely don't understand who Tom Allen is meant to appeal to

Tom Allen appeals to Tom Allen.

I don't think I've ever met anyone who actually enjoys him. He must be related to someone in TV, or he has dirt on someone.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
There are various people on TV shows who, when one of them is on, we're wary about watching. Two of them an episode-skipper.

Tom Allen is on that list for us. Also a few others. But since this is all subjective there's no point asking for yours.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

At least Josie Long isn't on all that much any more

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
I thought Tom was ok in Professional Bake Off, but i've not seen him in much else.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DaWolfey posted:

I thought Tom was ok in Professional Bake Off, but i've not seen him in much else.

Even then, I vastly prefer Liam Charles.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Betjeman posted:

At least Josie Long isn't on all that much any more

How can you dislike Josie??

Honestly I've never watched anything with Tom Allen on. He's no Andy Parsons

mclem
Oct 2, 2021

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

I first encountered him via Bleak Expectations and that, at least, *was* exactly My Sort Of Thing. But then I guess that's as a character and not as him?

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Taear posted:

How can you dislike Josie??

I guess overexposure as one of the few young female comics at the time (like, over a decade ago). She was in the vanguard of panel shows booking female comedians but didn't have the ability to quip and came across really bitter. Criticism of her became incredibly toxic.

I get that she's "alternative", but she was putting herself in the mainstream and couldn't cope with it.

See also Rosie Jones now. I'm sure she's a great writer and fantastic person but very divisive and breaks the chummy chat rule that panel shows live or die on.

tilp
Apr 7, 2010
More excitingly, there is a new series of Blue Lines. First series was outstanding.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Betjeman posted:

I guess overexposure as one of the few young female comics at the time (like, over a decade ago). She was in the vanguard of panel shows booking female comedians but didn't have the ability to quip and came across really bitter. Criticism of her became incredibly toxic.

I get that she's "alternative", but she was putting herself in the mainstream and couldn't cope with it.

See also Rosie Jones now. I'm sure she's a great writer and fantastic person but very divisive and breaks the chummy chat rule that panel shows live or die on.

Probably because she's actually left wing instead of rich lib dem like the majority of them
(no idea about rosie jones I've not watched panel shows since 2019)

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Stewart Lee knew never to do panel shows

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

tilp posted:

More excitingly, there is a new series of Blue Lines. First series was outstanding.

They've put the whole series on iPlayer, yeah? Wasn't expecting that. Looking forward to getting stuck into it.

edit: yes they have! brilliant.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Apr 16, 2024

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

It's Netflix but has anyone watched The Gentlemen series? Great slice of Guy Ritchie and better than the film (which I also enjoyed). Also made me realise Theo James is British as I only knew him from The White Lotus.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Bogmonster posted:

It's Netflix but has anyone watched The Gentlemen series? Great slice of Guy Ritchie and better than the film (which I also enjoyed). Also made me realise Theo James is British as I only knew him from The White Lotus.

Everyone talking about it seems to say it's pretty rubbish
Theo James will forever be the evil guy in the inbetweeners film for me, I think that's the first time I ever saw him

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Taear posted:

Everyone talking about it seems to say it's pretty rubbish
Theo James will forever be the evil guy in the inbetweeners film for me, I think that's the first time I ever saw him

lol same. was a huge shock finding out he voiced someone in castlevania

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Bogmonster posted:

It's a pretty good show, yeah. Theo James, Kaya Scodelario and Daniel Ings are all amazing in it and I'm finding it a lot easier to follow and engage with than the film.