Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't recall seeing any Agrophobic dude but an unfunny ginger looms large in my mind so I guess I caught the series on its last legs.

It sounds pretty appealing before it went bad, might rewatch it for proper judgement.

It doesn't really go bad as such, as there's only two six-episode series, but it is very 90's and hasn't really aged well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Padje posted:

So what did you submit to him?

I managed to get involved in a niche project I knew was going nowhere, rather than using that as a launchpad to start something afresh. If only I'd written a third rate puppet show, I could be rolling in it by now ;)

(My comment wasn't supposed to come off as 'pfft, I am an infinitely better writer than these mugs' but simply the fact that only a few years ago BBC3 was in a state where they had very little in content coming their way and were crying out for people to present them with projects.)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

thehustler posted:

Game On was loving top entertainment in my secondary-school-attending years.

Are we all exactly the same age in this thread?

But yeah, I liked it fine, definitely not the worst sitcom. I liked the episode where it's just Matt at home finding more and more elaborate ways to combat his crippling boredom. Also Skunk Pussies.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Fatkraken posted:

I'm 22 and have no knowledge of it whatsoever. I just watched a bit on youtube and it doesn't rind any bells at all. I recognise Roxie or Ronnie (don't know which is which) from Eastenders though.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Fatkraken posted:

Nah, it started after I left school.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
I think we can all agree though: At least it's not Gimme Gimme Gimme.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Fatkraken posted:

Oh god you've just summoned some horrible bad TV demon from the pits of hell mentioning that!

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I used to like Gimme Gimme Gimme, but then again I also remember liking Operation Good Guys and thinking back that wasn't a very good programme at all.

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

Fatkraken posted:

Didn't Game On start around the same time as the UK remake of Married With Children starring Russ Abbot?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Game On series one was really good at the time. Series two was just awful. All the charm and humour left with the original actor.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
New series of Only Connect on BBC4. Apparently they got complaints that using Greek letters was pretensious and elitist, so they've replaced them with Egyptian heiroglyphs

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
Commercial radio in the UK is gonna get poo poo(ter)

Financial Times posted:

Global Radio, the UK’s largest commercial radio group, is to take its Capital London station national.

The move will see the Galaxy radio and Hit Music stations subsumed into an enlarged Capital network in order to better compete with BBC Radio 1. The consolidation will open up a new front in Global’s rivalry with the BBC for audience share. Global is already fighting BBC Radio 2 with Heart FM, while Global’s Classic FM is comfortably ahead of its competitor, BBC Radio 3.

“With the launch of the Capital network, there will now be a big national commercial brand seriously competing with Radio 1,” said Ashley Tabor, Global’s founder and chief executive.

The commercial radio sector has long protested against the market dominance of the BBC, with the most recent RAJAR industry figures showing the publicly funded broadcaster captured 54.6 per cent of all UK radio listening in the second quarter of 2010, compared with commercial stations’ 43.2 per cent. In the same period, BBC Radio 1 attracted 11.8m listeners a week, compared with Galaxy’s 4.2m and Capital FM’s 1.9m.

By January 2011, the Capital brand will replace the six Galaxy stations across the UK, as well as the Hit Music Network stations Red Dragon, Trent, RAM and Leicester Sound, bringing Capital’s audience to more than 6.3m. Local breakfast and drivetime shows will remain locally produced. The move comes in the wake of Ofcom’s decision to deregulate the market for local radio, allowing stations to reduce the number of hours of locally produced programming and share facilities across regions.

Stephen Miron, chief executive of Global Radio, said the group’s success in taking its Heart brand national – with 7.8m listeners, it is the UK’s most popular commercial station – had inspired the Capital network strategy. “The simplicity of having one brand name, one network and strong locally produced content has worked very effectively with Heart,” Mr Miron said. He denied the decision had been driven by a search for savings. “This is certainly not being done on the basis of cost-cutting. We’re doing this because we believe there’s a massive opportunity to grow our revenues.”

According to documents filed at Companies House, in the 18 months to March 31 2009 Global Radio made a pre-tax loss of £277m on turnover of £216m, hit by a hefty £193.5m impairment, and interest charges of £66m. In May 2009, the company changed its accounting reference date to March 31. On an adjusted basis, in the year to March 31 2009, Global Radio reported earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation of £31m on turnover of £223m.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

Holy crap look at those losses they're doing worse than ITV.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

XFM is pretty good, so I don't want to see them go under.

:negative:

6 Music is better

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!

Financial Times posted:

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

Naughty boy :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

HoldYourFire posted:

Naughty boy :colbert:

They can't get him. He doesn't believe in Laws.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Poor Jamie Oliver, these people are awful.

"How dare you tell me easy ways to adopt a healthier diet and live a longer happier life?!!!

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
I love the Inbetweeners.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Haha, that was brilliant.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
I'm 22 and I can only remember watching Game On for a chance to look at Samantha Janus' tits

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The Inbetweeners may actually be too good - you have to force yourself to stop laughing, because you know there's another corking line every five seconds after whatever got you hysterical that you won't be able to hear over yourself.

Absolutely loving mega.

Ryla
Aug 5, 2008
Jesus Christ, I hope every episode can match that. That was the funniest thing I've seen in a good while.

Jimbola
Sep 27, 2005

I say, what a dapper young fellow.
Fun Shoe
drat, I was cracking up when Will started shouting that jazz over the wheelchair kid. Hilarious.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Figaro posted:

Poor Jamie Oliver, these people are awful.

"How dare you tell me easy ways to adopt a healthier diet and live a longer happier life?!!!

People might react a little better if he wasn't such a smug mockney oval office about it.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Jimbola posted:

drat, I was cracking up when Will started shouting that jazz over the wheelchair kid. Hilarious.

Yeah, was pissing myself at that bit too. Also pissing myself that there were actually sausage rolls at the wheelchair kid's assembly.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Jimbola posted:

This, this, and this. Man it was all I could do to keep myself from rolling on the floor with laughter. Everything was so great!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.

Flatscan posted:

People might react a little better if he wasn't such a smug mockney oval office about it.

If anything he's being far too nice, the locals are kicking him around like a football. They should have got Gordon Ramsay in, he'd rip those blinkered fatties a new arsehole and stuff them to the brim with healthy food alternatives

Fuckers

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Figaro posted:

If anything he's being far too nice, the locals are kicking him around like a football. They should have got Gordon Ramsay in, he'd rip those blinkered fatties a new arsehole and stuff them to the brim with healthy food alternatives

Fuckers

I think Jamie Oliver has become a bit too comfortable with the kind of 'hero worship' he gets in the UK, being hailed as the 'savior of school dinners' and getting his arse licked by our illustrious former former Prime Minister. However, he has been around a while and built his career up from fairly humble beginnings so we can kind of respect him when he tells us we shouldn't eat a bag of sugar every day even if we do find him kind of irritating.

However, he is not nearly as well known in the US. To them, he turned up as a fully formed, over confident, self proclaimed Food Messiah preaching his gospel to a bunch of people who had probably been quite happily eating rubbish for years. It's not really any wonder they rebelled against him. Would anyone in this country have reacted any differently if an unknown (to us) American came over and started telling us how to live our lives?

Ramsey would have worked better - he's established in America now and you can guarantee he wouldn't have sat down and bawled his eyes out about how 'nobody understands him'.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

The last episode of Grandma's House was pretty good. I really enjoyed it when Clive turned up. Though I laughed a lot more at Inbetweeners, Grandma's House gave me more to actually think about. I'm not sure if this is good for a comedy programme, but as a general bit of tv I liked it quite a lot. At least a lot more than The Royle Family, which is about the closest show style wise I can think of at the moment. I'm not really sure why Grandma's House got less praise than Royle Family and I know it wasn't an easy show to like but overall I found it one of the more enjoyable things I've watched this year.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car
OH my god, the loving bollock in the inbetweeners.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
I did not expect so much testicle. Inbetweeners is just the funniest thing on TV.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

meme posted:

I did not expect so much testicle. Inbetweeners is just the funniest thing on TV.

You've got that right.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Flatscan posted:

PUKKAH!! Absolute bellend

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
Spooks series 9 starts on Monday :cool:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Simon flouncing off and sitting on the shed roof after his parents took the piss out of him was funny.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Ratjaculation posted:

XFM is pretty good, so I don't want to see them go under.

:negative:

6 Music is better

Come with me into the past....

XFM started out as a wonderful pirate station which eventually managed to get the very last London FM local licence. It did very well and was highly regarded by all.

Then Capital came along...

They wanted their own Virgin Radio, so they bought XFM and within a few days it had totally changed. Eventually people complained and it was found that they were going against their licence remit, so they had to bring back some of the alternative songs on the playlist, but a lot of mainstream stuff remained.

This was about the time that Gervais and Merchant left, voluntarily, only to be asked back by Capital. The two of them made quite a thing about that.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

c0burn posted:

Spooks series 9 starts on Monday :cool:

Get in!
Might be the last though :(

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I wish my headmaster was half as awesome as the Inbetweeners one.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I was rewatching the peeing in public episode of Screenwipe just now and apparently after they filmed the episode Charlie brooker and Konnie Huq started dating and are now married. :psyduck:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

CJ posted:

I was rewatching the peeing in public episode of Screenwipe just now and apparently after they filmed the episode Charlie brooker and Konnie Huq started dating and are now married. :psyduck:

It is weirder for me think that is sort of romantic. Also, Charlie hopefully now won't die bitter and alone :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

CJ posted:

It's one of those where everyone in the country who'd heard of Charlie Brooker went :psyduck: and then 'good for him', and everyone who hadn't went 'who? Him!? Really!? Naaah'