Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
This Boulevard Of Barbed Wire is an absolute ruddy mess so far. Don't bother fannying around with character development - Just make the boyfriend act like an utter cock literally the first time we spend any significant time with him! And the first time he meets the parents!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

You mean Boquet of Barbed Wire.

Yes. But poo poo with its proper name is still poo poo.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I wish some of our channels could be more up front about what American programmes they're showing - In particular I want to know when Sky One (they have exclusive rights to HBO programming, right?) is going to show Boardwalk Empire.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

I don't think Sky One do have exclusive rights, unless they got them very recently. Channel 4 shows the Ricky Gervais Show and True Blood, More 4 shows Curb Your Enthusiasm, ITV 2 shows Entourage, and there are a bunch of other HBO shows spread about the channels.

Yeah it was announced in July: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/jul/29/bskyb-buys-hbo-tv-catalogue

I'm for it in theory, as long as it stops things like Five's treatment of Breaking Bad and 30 Rock, not to mention the fate of several shows on ITV.

(I know Breaking Bad and 30 Rock aren't HBO, but my point still stands)

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Figaro posted:

Who would you say is more loathsome? Louis Walsh or Piers Morgan?

Louis Walsh comes across as generally meaning well but not being able to pull off the same shtick as Cowell, plus he's just a bit of a moron.

Piers Morgan is an utter, ice-cold, awful oval office for all the reasons already mentioned.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I assume you mean Robert Webb rather than the black guy from Blue, but other than that yeah I completely agree. I made it through fifteen minutes of TEE HEE THE SET WOBBLED WHEN THEY SHUT THE DOOR before shutting it off. And they managed to make a two hour show out of that?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

Did anybody watch Winnebago Man on BBC 4? It's surpirisingly good for a documentary based on on a Youtube video.

I had no idea it was on but it's up on the iPlayer, so thanks for the heads up!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Brainwrong posted:

Ha ha ha! I see that the Americans have signed Piers Morgan to replace Larry King

At least that might mean that we see less of the talentless, paedophile-faced twat on our screens now.

:psyduck: uh good for them I guess. maybe he'll leave my country permanently. I hope so.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Heads up: Series 4 of Mad Men starts tonight at ten on BBC4 and BBC HD.

I'm still catching up via the Sunday night repeats but I'm sure there are those of you who would want to know!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I keep saying it, but Clive Anderson's burn against Morgan is one of my favourite things ever.

"How much do you know about editing newspapers, Clive?"

"About as much as you do."

gently caress you, Morgan. You thought you could stand toe-to-toe against two of television's most ferociously intelligent and witty men? You messed with the bull and got the horns, kiddo.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I really like Russell Tovey, he's been very good in everything I've seen him in (History Boys, Being Human, Anually Retentive, His Dark Materials on stage). So really I'm not sure why I haven't watched that yet, must ammend!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Jimbola posted:

drat, I was cracking up when Will started shouting that jazz over the wheelchair kid. Hilarious.

This, this, and this. Man it was all I could do to keep myself from rolling on the floor with laughter. Everything was so great!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Ronnie posted:

He doesn't seem to of done any research or homework in to the system. He just drops in on one hill billy town (lets face it, it's West Virginia) acts all smug on small time radio station gets defensive when the host tries to bring him back down to reality.

I just cannot think of any possible angle where someone could watch that scene and think that Jamie Oliver came across as the unreasonable one.

American talk show hosts are literally the worst people, and I really really mean that.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

For those who are interested, Phill Jupitus has announced the guest hosts for this series of Never Mind The Buzzcocks: http://twitter.com/jupitusphillip/status/24558920095

And for those who aren't Twitter literate, the list is:

-Mark Ronson
-Jack Dee
-Josh Groban
-Tim Minchin
-Robert Webb
-Tim Westwood
-Frankie Boyle
-Catherine Tate

Personally I'm cool with all of them (especially Josh Groban, who was loving great when he appeared as a guest) besides Westwood and Tate, both of whom are going to be terrible.

Oh and I guess the tweet says 'include', which means that there are more to be announced.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 16, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Jimbola posted:

Do people even like Buzzcocks anymore?

I think the problem is the 'show' isn't actually that funny, and the format was old even before Lamarr left. Amstell injected life into it, but mostly by taking the piss out of Z-Listers rather than masterful deployment of the intros round or last lines.

I tried to watch a few episodes of the last series and really didn't enjoy them.

I would say that it's definitely on its last legs - The last series had its moments (namely Rod Ghilbert's episode) but the guest presenters thing really doesn't work and with Jupitus the only long-term panellist left the whole thing is just a little awkward. I still watch it cause hey, I do end up laughing at the banter but I'm not going to attempt to argue that it's as good as it used to be.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Ronnie posted:

But may case in point was what kind of reaction was Jamie expecting when you announce that you are going to make a big changes to the fattest town in the USA and those are figures OF DEATH!!! I can't tell if he was trying to make a big impact and introduction to himself or was just trying to scare monger but then again I guess that's what these shows are about.

The thing is that I can accept that he went in expecting a bit of opposition because he can't wave his fame around in the US like he can here, and I can also accept that he just straight up wasn't prepared for all the out-and-out hostility he came across.

I mean, if I went over there with the best intentions (which, naive though it may be, I still believe he had) and had to face wave after wave of people not just opposing me but actively trying everything they could to stop me, I'd probably get emotional about it too. Plus bullshit bureaucracy like the nonsensical rules about bread really break you down.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

That episode of The Inbetweeners wasn't as out-and-out funny as I'd like and the ending was way too much (it's seriously reaching Peep Show levels in terms of misery for the main character) but holy poo poo I think that's the most accurate portrayal of the first drugs experience I've ever seen in any medium.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Holy poo poo you guys, Community is apparently (according to the creator) coming to the UK on the 5th of October, he just hasn't said what channel.

I swear on everything I know and love, if this becomes the latest in a long line of awesome American shows that is snapped up by Channel 5 and shown on a sister channel at 3:00 on a Tuesday afternoon, I will break everything. Everything.

(watch community because it is awesome)

Cerv posted:

Will freaking out was genuine, but the arm-spazzing was way too much I thought.

Well, really I meant in terms of the awkwardness and nervousness. Simon spazzing out on the toke was pretty great.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Akuma posted:

So are we supposed to think they actually did get high off one toke, or that they're just being morons and pretending the act high? I wasn't sure. Wait, no, that girls vomit was from ILLEGAL DRUGS so I guess were supposed to think that they were really high. Shame cannabis doesn't work that way I guess.

I thought the girl was vomiting because she was concussed?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

there are people who think that this is england is a comedy :psyduck:

That said, as horrific as the rape scene was, all the stuff with the "GINGE!!" bloke from the first episode was hilarious and I want him in every tv show.

"I'll count from thirteen."

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Daimo posted:

"Why thirteen?" "Why not ten?"

ahahahahahahaha........

:smug: "Hullo."

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Padje posted:

You HAVE to watch the latest episode of Don't Tell The Bride on iPlayer. One of the most hilarious and depressing reality tv debacles I have ever seen. I'd explain exactly why, but I'd hate to ruin the multitude of surprises as one man sets about taking a machete to his life over 3 weeks.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tp553/Dont_Tell_the_Bride_Series_4_Simon_and_Kaleigh/

A load of my Facebook friends were going on about this and it sounds like an awful trainwreck, will have to check this out with my lunch today.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Sort of UK TV related: Stephen Fry to play Mycroft Holmes in the sequel to last year's movie.

They should have cast that one guy from Paradox who looks exactly like Robert Downey Jr.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Oh, The Inbetweeners... That was so loving bad :(

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Okay, okay, having slept on it a little I thought that the aforementioned Jay crashing the bike and the sudden "there are some things you can't say" bits were great.

It's just that I really think they went too far with Will this time, I know that the point of his character is that he says the wrong thing then is too stubborn to back down about it but in last night's episode he was simply a massive twat and I didn't get any sort of entertainment out of watching it.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

lewi posted:

I think you're being a bit harsh - being set up with a clingy giantess isn't my idea of fun, and he didn't know that her dad had died recently.

Yeah but then after finding out her dad had died he kept insisting that he'd done nothing wrong and started yelling about blowjobs. Plus he'd spent the whole episode acting like a dickhead in general when usually Will at the very least tries to act polite in bad situations.

What it basically boils down to is that the tall girl came across as nice enough if a little dull and I'd much rather hang out with her than with Will, who was acting the twat for no good reason.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 28, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What I loved about Will this week was how you could actually understand what he was trying to do. She read too much into their one kiss and he called the not-a-relationship off even when she was offering him a blowjob. He was being the bigger man, acting morally, he didn't deserve to be vilified for it. Yeah, her dad died, that wasn't his fault and he didn't know, he can't be blamed.

There's logic behind it, and it very nearly sounds like a reasonable argument, which makes the train wreck so much funnier than his rant about the fashion show, which was just him being a prick.

This is fine but you are ignoring literally everything he did after he found out that her dad had died ("it's not really relevant", yelling at everyone about blowjobs, etc). I'm not calling him a villain because he picked a bad way to get rid of a clingy girl he didn't find attractive cause we've all been there, my point is that he was being a particularly awful bastard about it.

The fashion show episode for me is by far the best of this series, and I didn't mind Will's stubborn refusal to get involved in it because lots of teenagers put far too much stock into their political or personal opinions, so that's fine. Plus in that episode I loved the scene between him and Mr Gilbert, who is awesome and I sometimes wish the show was about him instead.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

gently caress all of you, that dog episode of Peep Show was ridiculous but I can't remember many other things that made me laugh harder than Jeremy being forced to eat the dog in front of its former owner whilst screaming "it's just a hairy turkey!"

"'Mummy' is probably the turkey's nickname! It could easily be."

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Personally I couldn't give a flying gently caress how out-of-character or unrealistic or ridiculous even something like Peep Show is as long as it makes me laugh, I accept that it wasn't based on the mundane like every other episode and admit that it was a massive departure from everything the show was before but beginning to end that episode made me laugh my arse off, based mainly on the fact that Robert Webb sold the gently caress out of it like he always does.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Well, maybe I'm a weird case :v:

I know I bitched loads about Will being a bastard in the latest Inbetweeners, but I really don't mind changes in tone and style as long as they're handled well - Series 5 of The West Wing is the best example: The change from Sorkin to Wells is incredibly jarring and noticable and no one would ever argue that TWW was the same show once Sorkin left but a Wells-produced West Wing was still miles ahead of every other drama on television at that point and in some ways still is today.

Peep Show did diverge into monkey random purple dishwasher cheese in series 4, it's just I lived with it because implausible Peep Show was still drat funny and never failed to make me laugh my rear end off.

In either case, I definitely preferred it to Mark suddenly becoming an unstoppable lothario in series 5... :shobon:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Yup I'm enjoying Him & Her too, although I'm jealous that they're both unemployed yet seem to live in a massive loving flat.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

For those who will be interested, the new series of House starts on Sky One/HD tonight at 10:00.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Yeah it was a great episode, I lost it at Simon smacking his cock and calling it a oval office.

I'm eloquent in that way.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

kru posted:

Am I the only person in the world who isnt really enjoying Inbetweeners this season? It's Peep Show season 4 all over again :stare:

I made one but everyone posted here instead so I just kind of ignored it :shobon:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I'm going to go ahead and once again shrill my Inbetweeners thread, because I made a thread for The Inbetweeners you see: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3347725

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

reality_groove posted:

The team behind Green Wing is behind it so it could be good.

Does not compute.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Chris Moyles, Jack Whitehall and Patrick Kielty together in any context is not good unless it is "the following people are on fire".

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

:siren: Never Mind The Buzzcocks starts this Thursday at 10 on BBC 2 :siren:

Guest host: Mark Ronson

Guests: Alesha Dixon, Tinie Temper, Paul Foot, 'Mollie From The Saturdays'

Phill Jupitus also tweeted a picture of a publicity still from an episode hosted by Terry Wogan, which I dunno I think will basically be awesome: http://yfrog.com/71t0bj

Yes that's James Blunt, but that's okay because he was actually pretty drat funny when he appeared on Top Gear and seems like a fun enough guy in real life.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Kin posted:

Because it's devolved into a show where they bring guests on simply to take the piss out of them. A good number of the guests don't know the answers to the questions or are there to blatantly plug their latest lovely album and barely contribute anything to an episode short of being the punching bag for whatever the regular guest/hosts throw at them.

When was Buzzcocks ever not like this? The only difference is that the guests tend to be more famous now.

edit: And who watches any panel shows because they care what the answers to the questions are??

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 21, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Kin posted:

Have I got news for you; You have been watching; The Bubble; Mock the week; Would i Lie to you. Amongst others.

You are comparing four topical quiz shows about very specific and current real-life or pop culture events (plus one that I hadn't considered so I'll give you that one) to a panel show that has always, always, always, always, always, from the first episode with Mark Lamarr and Sean Hughes right through to the admittedly terrible Dr Who-themed episode, been about getting whichever tv or music-based people were available and taking the piss out of them. The slack approach to the format has not changed since the first episode, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Actually thinking about it kind of makes me miss the classic They Think It Was All Over. Ah well :(

Figaro posted:

I have an almost irrational hatred of that small bald comedian in Mock the Week. I think it's his voice. No one I know seems to mind him, so it's proberly just me.

I really don't have enough time in the day to listen to that man start and finish a joke.