Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

Gorn Myson posted:

I sort of gave up on Never Mind the Buzzcocks once Simon and Bill left. I would have been happy if they replaced them with someone decent but instead we get rotating hosts and Noel loving Fielding.

I normally hate Noel Fielding too but he's kind of funny in bursts, just not when he does stuff like wearing a cape just so he can randomly go I AM WEARING A CAPE ISN'T THAT PRECIOUS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

That episode of Buzzcocks was okay, I guess. Mark Ronson was wittier than I thought he would be.

I remembered how I know Paul Foot - He for whatever reason was on one of those Last Comic Standing shows that was on a few years back when I was visiting America. I think he teetered between being insufferable and being loving hilarious, I'd probably check out his stand-up at least.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

It's never a good thing when the host is consistently outwitted and outcharmed by everyone else on the panel.

They should have given Howard Marks or Badly Drawn Boy that hosting role, they were both great. Hell, even her from N-Dubz was entertaining enough compared to Tate.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Has anyone in here watched Single Father? I haven't watched it but everyone on my Facebook is going crazy for it, am thinking of checking it out cause I quite like David Tennant.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I am unironically loving this episode of Buzzcocks, massive Jedward piss-take I know but I'm still laughing heartily.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

You know what, I think that I'm basically the prime target audience for The Trip because I love Rob Brydon more than I love oxygen and kittens, plus should I ever somehow end up doing right and going to heaven my place would be at the right hand of God, watching Rob Brydon and Steve Coogan swapping impressions for all of eternity.

I've laughed my arse off at both episodes, and fully expect to do so for the remaining four.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Zorba the Greek posted:

Never Mind the buzzcocks this week is hilarious.

There's just something about Terry Wogan calling Bono 'Bonio' that had me literally screeching with laughter. Oh, what a loving awesome man. I want him to literally live forever :unsmith:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Gram-O-Phone posted:

I have a signed picture of Terry Wogan. Envy me! (I'm male, it's actually very sad).

You don't want it? Just tell me who I have to kill.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

LE0N posted:

"You cant come here James blunt, with all your fine ways"

"....im sorry terry"

Wogan was brilliant, i wish he was regular host.

I thought James Blunt was great too, but then again he always is.

"What's the secret to your success with women?"

"I am a lesbian."

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 15, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Gervaischat:

The Office is great, but I'm still not sure whether that was in spite of Gervais or whether it was simply before he became The World's Favourite Englishman and hence before his ego exploded.

Series one of Extras is also very good, but series two is complete and utter self-serving bollocks.

Ghost Town is dull as loving dishwater. The Invention Of Lying is everything that was wrong with series two of Extras cranked up to 27 and is legitimately and without even a shred of exaggeration one of the worst movies I've ever watched.

All that being said, An Idiot Abroad makes me chuckle and that's all I ask a comedy programme to do.

Man I love it when this thread gets mean.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I got the complete Seinfeld for Christmas last year, I find it basically as formulaic as every other conventional sitcom (JERRY AND GEORGE DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ETIQUETTE WORKS THE WAY IT DOES, KRAMER IS WACKY AND ELAINE IS FEMALE) but it does make me laugh when it's on form.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Graviton v2 posted:

Yeah but all these guys are saying it wrote the book for that.

Well I can't really say, being that I'm hardly an expert on the american sitcom. I would assume though that in order for Seinfeld to be ordered at all there'd have to be some sort of precedent or inspiration for the 'show about nothing' idea, even if Seinfeld popularised it and/or took it further.

The one thing I like about Seinfeld that sets it apart from most of the other sitcoms I've watched (more recent ones notwithstanding, obviously) is the whole deal with 'no hugging, no learning'. The characters are horrible people who will never change despite the swathes of people they turn away with their antics, and hey, I dig that.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Yeah Dappy's appearances on Buzzcocks were amusing and everything but then it turned out he's an utter oval office as well as a loving coward because he copied a woman's phone number during a radio one appearance in order to send her text messages saying he was going to kill her.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I would skip straight to the Bill Bailey episodes of Buzzcocks, though.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

'Banter' is just the latest in a long line of buzzwords/phrases that people mistakenly believe gives them free reign to act like wankers. See also: 'I speak my mind', 'I'm just having a laugh', etc.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I can't watch it tonight and some rear end in a top hat on Facebook ruined the big twist for me :( Fuuuuuuck!!

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Michael Buble does seem like a genuinely cool guy in all his interviews, let's be fair. It's also possible to admire a singer as a person without necessarily enjoying his music (see also: James Blunt, Josh Groban).

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Stand-Up chat: Gina Yashere is a billion times funnier live than she ever was on Mock The Week. Greg Davies is a loving masterful storyteller, unrealistically nice man and would actually probably make a great motivational speaker. I went to the Birmingham Glee Club last month and saw a stand-up called Adam Bloom who had me shrieking with laughter, but he doesn't seem to do any television stuff.

Rufus Hound performed at my university a couple of times and each time brought the house down, but he was kind of a dick afterwards. I also saw Russell Kane and he was great too, but he's a bit poo poo on the telly for some reason.

On the negative side, I saw Reginald D Hunter a few weeks back and his warm-up act was really boring, plus Hunter's set was nothing special either. He did make a comment about not being used to the size of the theatre (Warwick Arts Centre), though.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

7seven7 posted:

Get the gently caress out. Gina "I'M NIGERIAN DON'T YOU KNOW" Yashere is like a loving comedy black hole. Any time she has opened her incredibly gummy mouth it has been as if humour as a concept has been nullified.

Believe you and me, I was just as surprised as you are.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Man, the ending of The Trip was :unsmith: to the extreme.

And I only just got round to watching the Tim Westwood episode of Buzzcocks, he was a lot better than I thought he would be (I loved the interactions between him and his rapper friend especially) and I laughed a lot at his "No one's laughing, I don't know what happened".

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

It's a proper Greg Davies evening on BBC 1 tonight.

Which is fine, because he is loving hilarious.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

So, this year's Big Fat Quiz Of The Year lineup is pretty terrible:

In case you can't tell: Alan Carr, Jonathan Ross, Ruth Jones, Noel Fielding, Richard Ayoade, Michael McIntyre and host Jimmy Carr.

The line-up last year was basically perfect, had fantastic chemistry and put on a great show. Have Rob Brydon, David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker and Claudia Winkleman all become so in-demand that they wouldn't do it again?

I'll probably still end up watching it anyway, for completion's sake. Just a shame it's doomed not to be anywhere near as good as last year's.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

On the positive side, Charlie Brooker has just announced in Twitter that a Screenwipe-style retrospective on 2010 will be broadcast on BBC 2 on the 27th of December at 10 PM. Can't wait for that :)

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

LE0N posted:

I think literally all they did was give the right answers and do nothing else.

I genuinely think that we were watching different versions of the show, Brooker I'll admit seemed a little awkward (as he tends to with non-scripted stuff) but Mitchell was pretty much the same as he usually is on panel shows, his reaction to Poker Face in particular was gold.

The only one out of all of them I remember being quiet was Claudia Winkleman, but then again she was pretty much just fulfilling the typical role of The Woman On The Panel Show, ie laughing at everything everyone else does and piping up occasionally to polite laughter.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Why... Why in God's name is Juliette Lewis presenting Buzzcocks? :psyduck: How bizarre

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Going back to Buzzcocks, Vic Reeves is always good for a laugh and I thought what's-his-face on Phill's team who is in some duo or the other was surprisingly funny.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

cloudchamber posted:

She does have a singing career so she a more suitable host than Catherine Tate.

And she did make laugh when she suddenly said "Is this going well? I don't know." Although she does just seem a bit batty in general.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Daniel Radcliffe always looks really twitchy and nervous whenever I see him make a public appearance (barring stage work, I'm assuming), it's kind of distracting. Although he does seem like an intelligent, decent enough lad so more power to him, I suppose.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

The first Top Gear special on BBC 2 tonight at 8pm.

Thanks for this, I genuinely had no idea.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I wasn't that surprised because Groban was terrific when he appeared as a panellist, but yeah it was a great episode. Catherine Tate episode notwithstanding, I do think this series has been very good.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Come Fly With Me is a literal abomination.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

All of the legitimately unbelievable, ripe and hilarious stories that genuinely come out of real airports every single day and all they can think of is one "DOESN'T THAT ETHNIC MINORITY TALK FUNNY!!!" joke after another.

Plus Matt Lucas' swipe at the intelligence of Disney fans is rich, considering Little Britain's demographic.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 25, 2010

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I will admit that did raise a smile from me, and was pretty .gif-worthy.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

It's also a shame because I've always quite liked Walliams and Lucas in their outside appearances, in all of their other work they seem like genuinely funny, talented and decent guys but when they do stuff together (outside of Rock Profile, which was awesome) they just come across as a couple of horrible, spiteful racists.

I know that they're pandering to a bountiful demographic, but that's a pretty feeble justification.

Did anyone watch The One Ronnie, by the way?

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

Never watched this His and Hers thing before but it's pretty good and quite weirdly an accurate potrayal of living with a woman you're totally comfortable with, the girl is really pretty too. :allears:

Yeah, I really liked Him & Her as well.

Just because I need to post positive stuff occasionally :)

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Bishy posted:

The Eastenders green screen Tube thing, for anyone who missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3vRMKnyS74#t=4m45

:psyduck:

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Yeah I saw the trailer a fair while back and think it looks like it could be good, Mangan and Greig are always good for a laugh and Matt LeBlanc actually looks like he could play the understated, naturalistic stuff pretty well.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Big Fat Quiz was my first experience of Richard Ayoade outside of IT Crowd and I've got to say that I didn't care for it.

Oh my loving God it doesn't get funnier and funnier the more you do that "I'm going to pretend I don't know the answer and write down whatever random butterfly roundabout jellyfish in a purple tinted turtleneck bullshit pops into my oh-so-precious head" shut up shut up SHUT UP

and yeah, just to prove I'm not biased: The rest of it was poo poo, too. I only got to March so maybe it got amazing after that, I don't know.

Adrianics fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 6, 2011

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

eating only apples posted:

Don't forget Russell Howard.

Did anyone else watch the Mock The Week Christmas special? One of the special 'previously unaired' doo-dahs was Russell Howard parroting the "change wand for wang" Harry Potter meme that has been on the internet for years and years and years as if he came up with it, what a cock.

Plus Jack Whitehall's joke about Harry Potter being a children's book. You don't say! I bet your big and important agent dad who has basically bought you your success is proud of you with cutting-edge analysis and wit like that.

*comedy anger itt*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I've never understood this whole 'selling out' thing, I mean yeah I totally agree that someone would deserve to be called out if they're doing something that doesn't fit with their stance on certain issues, but I don't really see anything to it other than "how dare that loving oval office want to make some extra money, what a oval office who would do that!!"

I still remember the massive backlash against Mitchell and Webb for doing the Mac adverts, then Robert Webb pointed out that the adverts were very quick and easy to film and they were paid more for the ads than they are for a whole series of Peep Show and I just thought "fair enough I guess, I'd most definitely do the same in their situation".

Not to mention that Boyle doesn't seem that bothered about his show, and all other Channel 4 comedy shows for that matter, being sponsored by Fosters.