Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hahahaha some millionaire cock on Channel 4 is getting their eyesore house demolished because they didn't get planning permission. Now some old lady is saying Britain is turning into Nazi Germany because the Nazis would also destroy houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DaWolfey posted:

Michael McIntorycunt is trending on Twitter (well, his proper name) and it's not hatred, it's all love. What the hell ?

I don't know how to break it to you but most people in this country are Tory scum with no taste or sense of humour.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think all the episodes have been put up on youtube by a fan, have a look there.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Nope. Originally iPlayer was meant to be a huge, glorious archive of everything the BBC owned. Then Rupert Murdoch raised a shitstorm about it being anti-competitive and the BBC were forced to scale it back to what we have now. BBC Worldwide can get away with giving some stuff away because they aren't regulated by OFCOM.

Yes. Look at this article from 2008-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/apr/25/digitalmedia.television

quote:

A BBC Trust spokeswoman said: "The BBC Trust subjected the BBC iPlayer to a rigorous public value test that included a market impact assessment carried out by Ofcom.

"The trust imposed a number of conditions on the iPlayer to take account of market impact issues, consultation responses from the industry, and responses from over 10,000 licence fee payers before final approval was given."

They intentionally made iPlayer less good than it could have been so it wouldn't hurt for-profit video on demand services too much.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

N3RDSTER posted:

Just seen an ad on BBC2 as I was in this topic. Apparently Louis Theroux is off to see the Westboro Baptist Church next week. That should be... interesting.

What, again? Or was it an advert for a repeat of that episode that you thought was a new thing?

Edit- damnit.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

stevey666 posted:

BBC is down atm, but this is from *pukes* the IMDB board.

Sequel to Americas Most Hated Family announced
by suiycfui (Fri Mar 18 2011 12:34:38)
Ignore this User | Report Abuse Reply
Louis Theroux did a follow up called America's Most Hated Family In Crisis. It airs on BBC sometime early April. The blurb on the BBC site says a couple of the daughters featured in the first documentary have since broken away, and that the family has gotten even weirder (yes, weirder) since the 2007 doc.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/tv/2011/wk14/unplaced.shtml#unplaced_louis

I wonder if that girl who clearly fancied Louis is one of the ones who broke away.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I think I heard one of their main income sources is suing any grieving relative at their pickets who gets angry enough to hit one of them.

Mickolution posted:

Hahaha

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Brother used to be annoying when you wanted to watch some tv and all the other channels were too scared to put anything half decent against Big Brother, but that's not really a problem in this age of iPlayer and 4od.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Flatscan posted:

Because it's no different than paying a shilling to go and look at the loonies in Bedlam.

Oh can I play too? Watching Big Brother is no different than watching a racist paedophile nazi murder babies for fun.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What, no mention of Season of the Witch?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

God can't they just kill Red Dwarf? I used to love it so much but that was a long time ago and many poo poo episodes ago.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Gram-O-Phone posted:

One more series, for old times sake. Who knows, it might be brilliant ... ?

We all know that it won't be though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

To be fair for it, a majority of us thought the new Doctor Who was going to turn out to be an embarassing flop.

I'm going to give it a chance anyways.

The new Doctor Who was a completely new cast and crew and writers though, a fresh start and a new style, yet still acknowledging the original. Not the old actors and writers embarrassing themselves by trying to do the old act they should have put to bed twenty years ago.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

It is.

Well sure you could describe a lot of David Tennant episodes that way (by no means all of them though) but series five was a massive improvement. Matt Smith and Steven Moffat are a lot better than David Tenant and Russell T Davies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah all the 'that was loving badass hoo rah' posts were pretty disturbing. I remember the scene where some Iraqi guy was about to get shot by a bunch of Marines and you could see the laser beams from their sights all over him in the night vision had several goons masturbating themselves into a frenzy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It's PC gone mad, you can't even mock people for being gay anymore.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

Okay, I laughed at this:

"But then Hugh’s devotion to wife Lulu is so strong it is understood he is known to fellow thespians as the Ryan Giggs of the showbusiness world, after the famously family-orientated footballer."

Daily Mail, you win this time....

Haha this was the best bit-

The Daily Mail posted:

Sorry we are unable to accept comments for legal reasons

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

Am i supposed to find these secret millionaires irritting at the beginning? This is the first one i've watched.

"I know what poverty is like, my grandparents owned a few villages as a child and i visited their mudhuts".

She was also griping about the experience not being as authentic when she found out about the bodyguards following her about. I thought the whole endeavor was supposed to be about rich folks going undercover to really get to know those who need their help without their whole fortune thing getting in the way? Not to go "live like the poors" for a week so she can talk about it with her friends instead of her pretentious Damien Hirst collections.

The whole idea of the show is offensive and when I've watched it I've found the millionaires infuriating. There's a huge element of poverty tourism. Not as bad as Undercover Boss though.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rarity posted:

Terry Wogan is an old fogey who blathers over songs, insults other nations, fails to realise cultural similarities matter rather than politics and is the main reason we see Eurovision as a joke and thus never send anything good that might win. :colbert:

Cheers Terry!

Why on earth would we want to win though?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lady Galaga posted:

Google Nianthony Martinez. Dude deserves whatever he gets really, and he's a real piece of work for conniving to plead insanity.

Nobody deserves the kind of treatment you get in an American prison, even if they are a complete piece of poo poo.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That list is becoming less useful and more bloated with every new addition. Like is any foreign person who wants to check out some British programmes going to go through a list of 50 things.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Kin posted:

There better be a version of the song released with the mix used on the show (the violin, drums and the extra vocals add a hell of a lot of depth to it).

It's on iTunes and probably other online music things- http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/pause-the-shadow-line-theme/id435966004?i=435966016

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Game of Thrones 'oh yeah that actor was in that other thing' that freaked me out was when I realised Sean Bean's wife was Nathan's mum from Misfits.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ChuckDHead posted:

Camelot on 4 was pretty good

:stare:

But really having something worth watching on a Saturday night like Doctor Who is the exception more that the rule.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of Dr Who holy gently caress this website is incredibly insane and creepy.

It's not real.

And Steven Moffat has denied this has anything to do with Sherlock. I'm inclined to believe him since they can't make series 3 of Sherlock anytime soon since both it's stars are busy with the Hobbit. Private Eye suggests that the reason for the shortened series is that Doctor Who is financially in a terrible state.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm disturbed actually why I'm saddened by this news.

It's still hilarious, fake or not. Especially the guy's insistence that he isn't a pervert.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wormophile posted:

Ahh booo. If it's true though I'd be pleased - Sherlock > Dr Who. Dr Who tits me off a bit because the beeb spends a big chunk of budget on a sprawling scifi series with loads of scope and it's charming and all but it's never going to be quite satisfying enough because it's a bloody kid's show (apologies to any autists/whofans)
Come ooooooon gently caress the kids they already have loads of shows, give me a proper british scifi series.

It's a show for the whole family, not just kids! And what, you weren't satisfied with Outcasts?

But seriously Doctor Who (along with Top Gear) is one of the BBC's most profitable shows what with foreign sales and merchandising so its budget doesn't really take away from other shows. I'll bet it makes more than its budget back for them. Its still dealing with budget cuts though along with the rest of the beeb so it's not surprising that its finances seem to be hosed enough that they can't afford a full next series.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wormophile posted:

Yes! I was excited about Outcasts and thought might shape up to be a pretty good show in later series, but it got cancelled. And I understand Dr Who! I like Dr Who! It's just it's the only british sci fi show with a decentish budget at the moment and it's so lame a lot of the time. Correct me if I'm wrong (I'm honestly not sure how telly works) but isn't it very hard getting that sort of series commissioned in this country because they are very expensive and risky? And with Dr Who already ticking the scifi box for the BBC wouldn't they be less likely to commission any ambitious new series? Not rejoicing in slashed budgets, poor old telly :(

I'm sure I'll become less grumpy about Dr Who when Misfits comes back on

I was joking about Outcasts, I thought it was a terrible disappointment. Well even Doctor Who with all the piles of money it makes the BBC has had big budget cuts, so sadly I can't see them giving the green light to more expensive sci fi.

I'd also love to see a new good British sci fi series. Oh well.

Ddraig posted:

I think what pissed me off most about the new Doctor Who is one storyline where the Master literally has the Doctor over a barrel and is about ready to gently caress him in the rear end - his plan worked absolutely loving flawlessly and the writers pulled a deus ex machina so deep from within their rear end that it had phlegm on it, and had the Doctor saved by the power of prayer.

They literally prayed and chanted for the Doctor to be saved and lo and behold he was. Couldn't they think of anything better?

Russel T Davies (the former showrunner who wrote that awful, awful episode) is no longer running the show or writing for it so you might want to check out some of the Matt Smith ones (series 5 and onwards). With Steven 'Sherlock' Moffat as head writer the writing is a lot more consistently good.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

goatface posted:

Dr Who is science fantasy, like Star Wars.

As terms, science fiction and science fantasy sound pretty interchangeable to me.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

goatface posted:

The Doctor gains and loses abilities so often that he might as well be 1970's Superman. The "science" is just a setting.

Well if having realistic science is a requirement for sci fi I can't think of anything that would qualify. Certainly not any tv series or movies.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Taear posted:

It's not really realistic, it's more that they attempt to explain it. It's not just magic with another name.
Just compare Star Trek with Doctor Who - although the former isn't exactly hard sci-fi or anything, it still has a bash. Dr Who never does.

I don't know, I'd say they are on about the same level of unrealism, and the technobabble they spout in Star Trek is worse than no explanation at all. Everything relies on magic crystals or whatever.

I do know what you guys are getting at though, I just think making a distinction between science fantasy and science fiction is silly. Robots and spaceships and lasers are robots and spaceships and lasers whether they have technical manuals available or not.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Taear posted:

That's proving my point entirely, you strange person. As someone said, Dr Who is magical adventures and Star Trek is "Look at how technology can do these things".

Sufficiently nonsensical technobabble is indistinguishable from magic.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Akuma posted:

No, the point flew over both of your heads because you're being obtuse.

I totally get what they are trying to say, I just disagree.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

No, that was the civilian who forgot a boat. Lt. McTits was the medic who had a mystical disappearing baby.

No, Johanson was the pregnant blonde medic. The one people called Lt. McTits was Lt. James who was the brunette officer in the tedious love triange with Scott and Chloe.

Which reminds me I still haven't watched any of season two. Worth it if I generally thought season one was ok?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Also with digital they don't have to discount things to get rid of unsold copies so things can just stay full price forever.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wow David Tennants Hollywood career was even shorter than I thought it would be, can't believe he's already reduced to appearing in Sky sitcoms. Poor guy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I must have missed what Brian Cos did that makes him an 'annoyingly militant' atheist. Is it just because he sometimes talks about his views publicly and sometimes makes fun of some of the more ridiculously ignorant religious people?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

There's nothing wrong with wishing death on a Tory MP, don't be silly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rejected Fate posted:

Come to think of it, the middle classes are quite over-represented in a lot of our telly.

Really the soaps are much less rage inducing than the endless property shows aimed at middle class people. If I see another rich dickhead spending millions on some eyesore barn conversion or something I think I might get the revolution started early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hollyoaks has been the way it is for as long as I can remember, I don't remember it ever being even slightly realistic or grounded.