Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
I used to like Gimme Gimme Gimme, but then again I also remember liking Operation Good Guys and thinking back that wasn't a very good programme at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.
Are they even putting Wonders of the Universe on the iPlayer in HD? I waited until about Thursday last week and it still wasn't up. I thought they were maybe waiting until most people had watched it in SD to save bandwidth but obviously not.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

Cut it out.

Captain Mediocre posted:

I like him, but my only gripe with him is that he wins his viewers in by talking about how he doesn't believe in magic, that its all psychology and illusion, then continues to expound the reality of stuff like hypnotism to an audience which now trusts what he says to be on sound scientific footing.

I totally get that this is the most essential part of his act because he gains people's trust in such a way as they credit him with an explanation for the trick he has performed which is far more impressive than the simple stage-magic hoodwinking that he more likely uses, like everyone else in his line of work. At the end of the day he's still a magician so I don't begrudge him success in tricking people, even on some meta level, but I do object to him abusing the position of authority he creates to keep dumb people thinking that people can be hypnotised or forced into buying poo poo just because he slips in related words throughout a sentence.

You do know hypnosis is actually genuine? Maybe you can't make someone assassinate Stephen Fry but the kind of hypnosis Derren does is real, even if a lot of it is the subject 'playing along'. Things like the imaginary coin toss, too, most people would pick a certain predictable pattern, ie with 100 people you'd probably never get any one to go AAA or BBB. The one thing that put me off the first episode was when he did a polygraph test, since everyone but Jeremy Kyle realises they're complete pseudo-science.

He is a magician though so when he gets someone to stamp on 49 paper cups and the 50th has a spike under it, he probably hasn't actually guessed that entire sequence and there's a really basic explanation instead.