Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Lets not repeat WNN!

That bit didn't work to an embarrassing degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

The Perfect Element posted:

So, would you guys recommend that I watch it, or just wait til its on again next week?

It really did veer wildly from very funny to almost painful. Watch it for David Mitchell / Charlie Brooker's rants, the ensemble bits around the table and some of Jimmy Carr's stuff too. Turn it off or mute it or suffer through the excruciating news channel parody / holiday in Tunisia sketches (although the latter wasn't as bad as the former).

As other people here are rightly saying, it's only the first show so it will probably take a few episodes for them to get the formula just right and relax into their roles.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Junkenstein posted:

It's been mentioned, but 10 O'Clock Live really doesn't need to be live.

Well, it does, or else it would just be called '10 O'Clock' which is a terrible name.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
drat, I was hoping they would make Dappy from endubbs disappear and then not bring him back.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

A5H posted:

Naw. That manly thing shoe does with the thumb up/weird face is too much of a turn off.
Also that Irish lad on the date was proper hilarious.
I love this stupid show.

I would take her out, I think she's sweet.

Kin posted:

:suicide:

Death. Of. Comedy.

edit: I guess it really pays off if you turn up as an act with a gimmicky form of presentation regurgitating the same generalist jokes that everyone's heard before.

edit2: Would i lie to you is better than Have I got News For You? :suicide: x2

To be fair, WILTY (hah, wilty) is quite amusing.

On another note, best new British comedy: Miranda :suicide: x5

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Kin posted:

Ding ding. Finally a decent winner. :dance:

About loving time.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Get that loving oval office Russell Brand off my TV right now.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

DaWolfey posted:

Except for what he just said about Brooker.

Because it's true.

I didn't hear anything much of what he said, because my remote control has a 'mute' button.

What did he say? Because I'm perfectly willing to believe that something sensible did at some point come out of his mouth.

e: Miranda Hart wins the people's choice award. Britain, what is wrong with you?

This is when you realise that the comedy tastes of the country are actually very different from what we might believe they are living inside our bubble. It's like collecting vinyl.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 23, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

"What happened to you, with you celebrity Blue Peter wife and wavey hair. Come back Charlie" or words to that effect.

Actually, that almost sums up my sentiments too (drat him). The real Charlie Brooker is an unmarried, lonely misanthrope like me, not happily married to an attractive Blue Peter presenter.

e: And now that creepy dancing baby commercial is on. Hell, I'm so depressed, I'm going to bed. Actually, no I'm not, I'm going to eat this muffin instead.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 23, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Uncertain Frog posted:

I will still give it a chance. If they focus on the idea of everything getting old (including them) and keep episodes simple and in a small enviroment it could just work. Green screen and over use cgi use is a big no no.

The better episodes were always just their group in a small area taking the piss out of each other. It's one of the main reasons series 8 was such a failure and why Casandra was the one half decent epsiode in that series.

Cat losing his looks and hair, Kryton falling apart, Lister being a brain in a jar. You can even say they reprogrammed Rimmer so he ages/gains weight with them as a joke.

Its not like there isn't enough material to work with, its just capturing that soul that series 3-6 had.

Fixed.

I really hope they go back to the hand made clunky robot skutters. The cheap CGI skutters in the new episodes just looked wrong and so obviously fake.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

DaWolfey posted:

drat, Konnie really changed the look of his front room.

I was desperately racking my brains to work out what you meant by 'root' and how you could tell.

yay, Pipkins, morbid Kids TV.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Trin Tragula posted:

Is it my imagination, or did the BlackBoxxxBabe look suspiciously like Konnie?

I'm pretty sure that is definitely your *extremely overactive* imagination.

But I'm going back for a second look anyway.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Some Strange Flea posted:

Well it might.

And lo the opinion quota is filled.

There'll be good bits and bad bits.

(now it is).

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

goatface posted:

Lauren Laverne will actually crawl out of your TV and suck you off.

As long as it's not one of the other presenters, I'm okay with that.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

N3RDSTER posted:

I caught literally the last ~7 seconds of it and got "Do we really need the Moon? Of course we do!". Well, there's an hour saved, I'm pretty sure I already knew that.

It's a good thing, I was all ready just to get rid of the moon at the next car boot sale.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Lady Galaga posted:

Wasn't really seamless, shakycam right onto a steadycam transition.

Not to mention sunlight. This is the thin end of the wedge, the sun is trying to bring the system down from within.

e: I love you Jimmy Carr.

The show is definitely improving, it looks like they're throwing out what doesn't work and honing the stuff that does.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 4, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
You just had your penis fondled by a doctor on national television and there isn't even anything wrong with you.

Feel so bad for that poor guy with the tumors though.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
The point about the bar scene is that it's funny the first time you watch it because it's unexpected. It's also quite funny the second time because you're anticipating it.

It's not funny the fiftieth time and constantly repeating, and re-repeating it out of context, and actually analyzing the scene and the performances, ruins an otherwise perfectly good piece of comedy slapstick. The worst thing you can do to a joke is repeat it and dissect it.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 7, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
That 'Sweet 16' thing isn't real... is it? Please tell me it isn't...

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Pablo Bluth posted:

The US Sweet 16 was a genuinely horrifying display of wealthy brats. The UK version was a hilarious embarrassingly display of anti-glamour.

Oddly enough, when the girl screamed that her mother had ruined her life, I kind of agreed with her.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

It pretty much is the more technical TV culture bits from Screenwipe, but it still is excellent.

The show has been great so far, this is what Brooker does best.

Still one thing I miss though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bn-L21l9d0I

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
But it's only a quarter past eleven!

I hadn't heard the full Newswipe theme before, or knew what it was called so cheers for posting it.

For completion's sake, here's the full Screenwipe theme too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmCidY0rSek

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Seeing someone take the reduced offer on The Chase makes me much angrier than is really healthy. Especially if the reduced offer is a negative amount.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Metrication posted:

Yeah but it's such an easy target, bit like the Daily Mail as well.

I still have absolutely no idea what the big society is.

Something about volunteering? I think it's just more bollocks.

e: Well, that was a load of shouting and I still don't have a clue what they were talking about.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 10, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

dog days are over posted:

Oh my goodness I am so glad I'm not the only person who enjoys The Chase. I dunno why I do, I just.. do. I'm terrible at quiz shows and rarely get a question right, but it honestly feels so loving tense when the chaser just BARELY catches them in the final chase that I can't help but enjoy it.

Yesterdays was the closest I've seen so far - less than a second to go before he caught them! I admit I was on the edge of my seat for that one.

e: I hope Anne's voice holds up during the final chase :ohdear:

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 11, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

HUMAN FISH posted:

I watch The Chase only because for some reason I loving love Mark Labbett. The black dude is ok but I can't stand the lady.

I like it when he loses a chase and gets all stroppy and stomps off to 'have his tea' :)

I'd happily go for a drink with any (or all) of the Chasers. Bradley Walsh could come along too if he liked, as long as he promised not to say 'get in!' too often.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Brit Awards is on now on ITV, if you can stomach James Cordon.

e: New page bonus videos

Jarvis Cocker vs Michael Jackson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEWomOQVno

Part 1 of the 1989 Brit Awards (THAT one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GoJ5c2ieyk

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 15, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Muppetjedi posted:

I kept expecting Konnie Huq to show up in that episode in a 'love is terrible, isn't that right love?' sort of way.

Too many loving sketches though. They're too long.

There were a lot of sketches, but only a few of them involved loving. :rimshot:

"I should say something suave."

BHUAAGH!

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

A5H posted:

Who the hell is Milo Yiannopoulos? Does he have a rich Dad?

E: Oh a quick google reveals he hates the north and thinks London is all of England. Tosser.

He's a student and a total and utter columnist.

e: If you turn up at the 10 O'Clock Live studio and find yourself sitting to the left of David Mitchell, it might be best if you just quietly went home.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

I'm turning into a gameshow fan or something, started watching the Million Pound Drop tonight and quite enjoyed playing along, even if some of the questions were just viciously difficult. A question about someone's twitter update on the day of the show? Really?

Apparently this is the third season, but I'd not heard of it until tonight.

I always play along online. I even post an update on my Facebook wall, but nobody ever plays with me. :( . Anyone would think they had something better to do on a Friday night.

Some of the questions are very tough though. They often have questions about things which happened that day, so it pays to thoroughly read the newspapers if you're playing that night. I thought the Madonna question was a bit cruel (only a few months either way in both cases, and I would have probably gone for American Pie too if I didn't have the luxury of G**gle. Plus the fact that I wasn't playing with real money.)

I think the key to this game is to be brave earlier on with the easier questions and if you're even only partly sure of the correct answer just put the full amount on it and don't split. The later questions are often so hard that it comes down to a matter of pure guesswork and the more money you have to split at this stage the better. That is unless you're playing online where it is fairly pointless splitting at all, especially if you're playing for a Davina shout-out.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

I put my name as knobjockey in the hopes I could get Davina to say it on TV. I don't think she would though. :smith:

I'll still be listening out for it tonight though :D

I just used my real name for my Facebook account so if she does give me a mention I'd just be 'Matt from Devon'. I mean, that could be anyone. I'll just have to assume it's me if it happens.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Flatscan posted:

Not only that, but what tit thought it would be a good idea to have him working in a hospital after his restaurant got shut down for making people ill.

That would be rotten luck, wouldn't it? Get into hospital only to find that the same person who gave you food poisoning is cooking your lunch. You've only just had Heston's revolting muck pumped out of your stomach, now you've got to put a load of it back in again.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

This certainly is quite true, as a few years later men like my dad who served would be told this and he passed down great wisdom to me too:

That man will always be an unfunny oval office.

And now that unfunny oval office writes for our local paper.

Oh, the shame :(

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Metrication posted:

I thought it was pretty good :smith:

Don't worry, we can both be wrong together (I quite enjoyed it too, especially Mark Heap's creepy next door neighbour, but then Mark Heap tends to steal every show he's in anyway)

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Pablo Bluth posted:

Triple Ebay.

The joys of a good pun.

I think that segment used up my pun tolerance quota for the next three years. Still, it's nice that they found a use for the old Generation Game conveyor belt.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Kin posted:

The chat window thing won't publish any comically scathing remarks regarding the dumbfucks.

The chat window hasn't published any of my fabulously witty and clever comments either. They prefer 'OMG QI is AWESOME' and 'LOVE U RUSSEL!'. Eh, philistines.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
Anyone make it through the whole thing? I dropped out after Call My Bluff.

It was all very entertaining, as well as being fascinating, and technically very impressive getting all those shows set up one after the other. Definitely worth £5 of anybody's money (Stephen Fry told me to donate, so how could I refuse?)

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!
'Life is the means by which the Universe understands itself'

Amazing.

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

ibroxmassive posted:

Since when did my license fee go to ITV?

Well, your license fee goes to the BBC.

BBC staff get paid by the BBC.

BBC staff then go and purchase goods and services.

The producers of said goods and services more than likely advertise their products on ITV.

ITV gets paid by the producers of said goods and services.

So, now you see how your BBC license fee is helping fund terrible ITV programmes starring Peaches Geldof. It also happens when you buy a KFC or a packet of McVities biscuits or a tube of Aquafresh too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've watched it twice now, and it's really good, in particular the second half of the show really cranks up the tension, especially once all the noises and things start. I think the DVD comes with an essay either by the person at the BBC who commissioned it or by the person who wrote it and it's a fascinating read. The most interesting part was that on the day of the broadcast, the BBC decided that they had to insert the 'Screen One' intro before it was shown, essentially admitting that it was in fact a drama. Had they not done so and presented it as live, the fallout would have been much worse.

What they didn't take into account was the number of people who would come into the programme five or ten minutes late, miss the Screen One intro, and think it was real (like I did). It was very cleverly made, and because it used respected TV presenters instead of actors, felt very convincing. Watching it now, in 2011, split up into bits on Youtube, and knowing it to be a scripted drama, doesn't quite induce the same level of raw terror that watching it 'live' on the BBC (so no commercials to break it up) as an impressionable 13 year old who believes it to be a genuine documentary about ghosts did. I was scared shitless. I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep that night, and possibly a few subsequent nights too, even after I found out it was a fake.

Of course, everyone was talking about it afterwards at school, but curiously nobody admitted to being scared by it. I guess my school must have been populated by cynical hardasses (or porky-telling scaredycats).