Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is this the thread to say I really like Taskmasters? If so, I do.

The thing I don't like is when they have someone on who has basically no other media to watch after. That, or they were on other media but it was on random BBC stuff that basically only exists if you live on the island itself and were watching TV that one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Had a chance to show a friend Taskmaster the other day, but kind of blew it. I picked a random episode from a season I generally remember liking, however it wasn't one of the best to show off the strengths of the show. Their main comment was to note how weird it was why and when the audience chose to applaud for people, which then became something hard to unhear.

In the future, what would be the one most Taskmastery Taskmaster episode with lots of lateral thinking solutions and interesting tasks?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watched 2 episodes of this show called Accused, based on a British show. Wasn't able to easily find the original, but am still curious if it's as heavy handed and contrived to illustrate the point of each case/twist.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gorn Myson posted:

Maybe, it's a Jimmy McGovern show. I didn't know there was an American adaptation, but I don't knock his writing because even though he is blunt and rarely surprising I've yet to see something of his that I haven't enjoyed or been moved by.

If you go down that rabbit hole you're in for a treat though (especially if you like Sean Bean).

The american episodes I watched:

One was a father on trial, he gave his kid 10,000 bucks for a euro vacation with his xbox friend but they bought guns and did a mass school shooting instead. The twist was that the dad knew his kid was evil, found his evil diary, and took the kid on a triip to the woods intending to kill him, nut the kid tricked him into thinking he just wanted some vacation to feel less angry. Prosecution was arguing the dad would've paid anything just to ignore the problem, and that the shootings would not have happened if not for the daddy money. Judge doesn't convict him and afterwards his wife is like "were you really going to kill him? I wish you would have" which yeah right she would've been so mad and sad about it. The premise itself was interesting to me but the delivery overall was very hokey or, i don't know the right word, kinda reminded me of a more-serious The Premise by BJ Novak.

Second one was a surrogate mother kidnapping the baby because the father clearly has a massive issue with the child being deaf, blaming his wife for not disclosing she had a deaf great-aunt or something, and it ends with them somehow making the state drop the case against the kidnapper because the parents finally click that they themselves are the garbage people.

I'm not familiar with jimmy mcgovern, no idea if he has anything to do with the american version, but I don't hate the concept, just the two US eps I've seen had some quality about them that either made me a bit embarrassed or a bit embarrassed for the show, or, maybe I'm expecting something more subtle but the bluntness is their tool.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That's for the best, so far both US eps feel like they'd be better as little thought experiments in an internet comment haha

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The Accused is on Fox, so the quality you’re thinking of is that it’s designed entirely for idiot boomers.

Ok haha, that made everything click immediately. Like the kidnapping episode, it was extremely obvious from like the first lines the husband spoke that he's a massively prejudiced about deafness, but they kept hammering it in, almost to the point of him facing camera and saying "I am a person who is a bigot, even though bigotry is bad."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watched the Outsiders recently and that was a lot of fun. Especially since most of the people were already on Taskmaster, felt kind of like a doubly-british gentlecore version of an outdoor Taskmaster.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

GazChap posted:

I saw a clip of this on YouTube the other day, where the contenders (I remember Guz Khan, Judi Love and Alan Davies were there) had to sneak some items through "customs" that was David Mitchell in a guard costume.

It was painfully unfunny. Does it work better in the context of a whole show?!

I stopped watching a clip compilation because I thought it had to be funnier in context. It is, but it's also still very... Gentle, soft, idk? They tease each other and make bawdy jokes now and then, but it has that British bake off edgeless vibe to it, not my favourite energy in general. David Mitchell also had a hard time ever ranking things if they were all good or competent, only when one was obviously poo poo were his judgements judgemental.

Think of Taskmaster Team tasks, remove the whipping boy and stern overlord, and sprinkle in a dash of Britain's idea of gentle programming.

I also thought the first season was the funniest but I was also watching them while at work so not the fairest judge as my attention waxed and waned as the day got busier.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started the UK version of Traitors earlier and I like Claudia but I was partially clicking to see some more Alan Cummings outfits, so it was an unfair start. I did like the first line-up game, don't know if I'll see it all through but I do want to know: Do the two immediately cut people ever sneak back into the game as double secret traitors or something, or was it just a straight up cut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They don't specify how many toes are on these made up appendages. I have no reason to assume either hand is toeless merely because my real hands do not have toes once I am pretending to have imaginary hands. Given our usual symmetry, the most reasonable assumption is that the 6 fingered right hand has 2 toes.